Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I recall seeing a few posts ITT over the years asking for a decent place for endmills in Canadia. I needed a specific endmill for a super rush job and stumbled upon this place: https://www.sharptech-inc.com

I was able to get it the next business day in the USA, and their selection looks non-horrible depending on your tooling situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Anyone have any good resources on Universal GCode sender? I've inherited as a volunteer position a Shapeoko 2 with an attached computer. It's a hackerspace, so I need to do some forensic work on whether the control board is even stock.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanks! That is all enormously helpful. Hopefully I'll be able to get some stuff going on it so folks can do some machinable wax mold masters or something on there.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It's been super slow going, BUT THE HACKERSPACE SHAPEOKO LIVES!!!

Today was the first time I was really able to sit down and touch the machine for an extended period of time, but I have been researching the last week or so. Turns out, the biggest issue was the baud rate was not right on top of some combination of missing drivers, old firmware, and loose/dusty connections. But it's functional!

Usability is a good way off. Something about the default grbl post processor in Fusion 360 mandates putting in an M06 code and Universal GCode Sender wicked hates that. On the plus side, though, it's like the first line and pretty much just means hitting "Play" twice. It also wants to bring the spindle way to the right side after ending the program. After reactivating the limit switches, it's more of a soft failure. Gonna have to figure that out.

Mechanically, not bad. With some random 1/8" endmill in the drawer, I got 0.1mm variance over 50mm on the Y axis and 0.31mm over 50mm on the X axis. I think I'm just gonna call that good enough and probably substantially better than the shopbot the next room over.

Since I'm still figuring it all out for training courses on it, I had to leave a little message to indicate that it's all on the up and up:

E: turns out we have the carcasses to two more benchtop machines, so hopefully we'll have an easy peasy Easel one for simple engraving, one for plastics & metals, and one for foams and woods.

Since Fusion just added Eagle functionality, I'm hoping we can do some cool custom milled PCBs here!

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 24, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I wish I could help, I'm just jealous about your project.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Trying to get CNC approachable has been a really big challenge for me at my maker space. I think that's changing.

I finally got to trying out Easel today, and oh man is it great. I think folks who understand how to use the laser engravers will really be able to bridge that gap.

Even Vectric VCarve is a tough learner software coming in from nothing. Easel's accessibility is really nice, and it has the key feature: simulate tool paths.

If someone in your life is struggling to figure out CAM, it's a great entry point.

To attest, I imported a picture and converted it to an SVG to import to Easel and engrave:

https://i.imgur.com/iN4l4pd.gifv

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I know double posting is in poor taste, but it's been like a week so:

Does anyone know of any pendants that are compatible with Easel?

The X-Pendant is promising, but the fella who makes them is on a break right now, and considering the most recent review is from August 2019, I'm not really holding my breath.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

This is super fun because an ENORMOUS part of industrial grade 3D printing is for tooling, jigs, and fixtures rather than finished products.

Now, you may not necessarily need to keep stuff around that long or if you lose a tiny part of your fixture, you can just reprint it instead of digging out there old drawings to remake it. Could be anything from specialized soft jaws to a stopper for your sine plate.

Making stuff friggin owns, and all the ways to skin the cat make it so much fun.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Bape Culture posted:

I hope this is the correct thread to ask but if not could someone recommend me a thread please?
I’m wondering if any goons have access to a 5 axis turn mill?

I don't know what your budget is, but 3D Hubs might be able to help. I know some of the American team, they're p cool.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, this is for a maker space. I volunteer to maintain and educate our CNC machines.

I'm splitting our education on the Shapeoko into a 2D CAD/CAM process with Inkscape/Illustrator/AutoCAD + Easel and a 3D CAD/CAM process that's good for Fusion and Solidworks.

It's all in an effort to get more folks using our Tormach PCNC 1100 (so I can fix it more frequently, I guess). Minimizing the number of things you have to learn as you go up each machine (Shapeoko/X-Carve, ShopBot, then Tormach) is nice, hence the desire for pendants.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The maker space fully owns and I count myself exceedingly lucky to have a long leash and a budget to gently caress around and teach people all this neat stuff!

I love the Tormach folks fwiw - they're employee owned and hanging out with them at Fabtech is so fun. A used Haas will definitely have a better feature set, though.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm with Pumping Station: One in Chicago.

I'm somewhat newly minted as an "area host" - a volunteer who maintains equipment and educates/authorizes membership on how to use them effectively and safely.

Currently you need to be authorized for cold metals, a knee mill, and half of the ShopBot to even meet the prerequisites. That's about 9 hours of authorizations on its own AND that doesn't include CAD or CAM. It's an enormous burden on the membership. I think out of 450 members or so we've got under a dozen authorized to actually use it.

We're transitioning to an e-learning platform for a lot of our knowledge base and to standardize the authorization process across disparate areas and volunteers. I've started drafting out some courses and the path I'm aiming for is:

* 2D CAD & CAM > Lasers and Shapeoko
* 3D CAD & CAM > Shapeoko Part 2, includes tool changes
* ShopBot
* Cold Metals
* Tormach

It is a *lot* of training, but it's spread out in an ordered way that makes a lot of sense. It's also broken up and largely self paced. Now you get to learn about the machine in person instead of an unpaid volunteer drone for 3 hours about the machine and whatever someone asked about Fusion.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, it's kinda weird if you're coming from something feature based.

Your part design is automatically in an assembly space, so it's usually best practice to create a new component right away and activate it (select the radio button next to the component name).

Each component gets its own color in the feature timeline on the bottom. You can move a body into a new component, but its history will be shared with the old component, hence the above tip.

Sketched and bodies IIRC are the only things that you can select from the component tree on the left.

Fusion does run locally, I believe its primary cloud functions are for PDM, simulation, rendering, asset pulldowns, and things like that. Might want to check the graphics options to see what driver it's using (DX9 and DX11 I believe are the options). Could also be worth checking the graphics control panel to make sure that it's getting hardware acceleration.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, absolutely!

The biggest reason is because you can start a new project or file off of a component. Having a design history for a component that is not all in-context modeling is pretty big (although you may have to do some edits for things like projecting off geometry from other sketches or bodies). It's not necessarily as robust as like a SOLIDWORKS part library, but if you've done a ton of work on something that's going to be used or similar to something for other projects, it's wicked helpful.

For an example, if you're doing mold design, it's one thing to design the mold itself but everything that hooks up to your machine needs to be modeled as well. It's really helpful if you can pull down some independently modeled brackets or alignment features before designing your gates and runners so you can be certain about placement.

If it's your first time modeling for that machine, you want to design those location and alignment features in-situ but as a separate component + subcomponents so you can make a separate file out of that top-level component (which contains subcomponents of the multiple bodies). I hope that makes sense, it gets a little messy just with words. I think this link might help illustrate: https://designandmotion.net/new-post/when-to-use-fusion-360-bodies-and-components/

The other thing is a usability issue. If you have a single component with several bodies in it and you need to edit one of them, it can get tricky to track down which feature applies because they're all indicated with the same color on the timeline.

I used Fusion 360 professionally for a few years freelancing and kinda had to learn all this on the fly - I have a few projects that would have gone MUCH more smoothly had I known this.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Qubee posted:

Can you locally export entire assemblies? I've been watching a tonne of videos, I really think making the jump to 360 is going to give me a much better workflow compared to Creo, which is heavily catered towards old timey draughters and stuff. It just seems heaps more intuitive and friendly.

If I make an assembly of something, can I then go and put components from that assembly into another new project? I don't know how to load in components.

You can, I believe all you have to do is right click a component and insert it into a new project. I don't recall if you can directly insert from one assembly into another assembly without turning the component into its own project file.

Got free Educational SOLIDWORKS Premium for my makerspace, woohoo! Now all I have to do is make some tool cribs/libraries for our ShopBot, Shapeoko, and Tormach in Fusion 360 and SWX :shepface:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The general application is here: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/9a3e7d55200c4170934a446c29c16da4?Type=Maker

I work for a VAR, so I was able to reach out directly to the educational folks. If you don't hear anything back, I'd be happy to work with you over DMs for it :)

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

This son of a gun has been killing me all weekend:

I was originally just going to reinforce the fiberglass dust collection duct with some epo

There were some issues with the control computer running slow and well

So we've got an SSD in there now, upgraded it to Windows 10, replaced a ????? hacked solution for an RS485-USB interface, and in jostling it all around, the second x axis stepper got stupid.

16 hours of troubleshooting and maintenance this weekend.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Fusion 360 caught a serious nerf effective October 1st. You can't export STEP files anymore and you can only post single tool CAM paths on top of some other ridiculous garbage.

I'm just doing that thing where I remind you the EAA has Educational Solidworks Premium licenses for $40/year.

It comes with good CAM features and everything, same noncommercial addendum.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ante posted:

Apparently you can't get educational SW files into pro SW packages though, the file is permanently tainted

Yeah, everything gets watermarked. You can still open the files in professional versions, but the person opening it will know it was made in an educational version.

I just wanted to make sure nobody with/access to a Tormach or something was going to get shut out in the cold. My makerspace is going bananas about it.

Qubee posted:

The exporting STEP files doesn't really affect me (are there scenarios where this would be useful for a hobbyist? I can imagine it would be a pain in the rear end when it comes to showing clients work, but not much in the way of it being an issue for hobbyists), but what does the single tool CAM paths thing mean?

It would suck putting a lot of time and effort into getting set up on Fusion 360 only for them to slowly withdraw a lot of functionality as time passes and try to strongarm you into buying an expensive license.

I've used STEP files for collaboration with folks on other software, especially stuff like Rhino or OnShape.

Autodesk is apparently going to be preventing CAM posts from including ATC tool changes.

Something that really grinds my gears are that drawings are single sheet only, you can only have 10 projects at a time, and each drawing page will then count as a separate project.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

sharkytm posted:

And the educational version isn't an option, everyone talks up the EAA deal, but if you use it for commercial work and get caught, Dassault will fine you to the moon and back. I've seen it happen.

That is true. Also, I'm in the hobby CNC thread talking about a replacement for a personal use license. If you're doing commercial stuff you should be in a commercial CNC thread and use commercial software.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

E: I've just got my own personal nightmare Autodesk stories and I'm baffled by this decision.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh rad! I had no idea about Solid Edge Community Edition, that seems pretty neato.

A lot of places have SOLIDWORKS Educational of one variety or another, I wish there was an easier way to get a directory of who has one so you can join a community spot or even head to your local library for instructions.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Qubee posted:

I've used SolidWorks extensively, it's pretty rear end compared to Fusion 360. It was a running joke throughout our 3 year uni course that if it didn't crash on you at least three times in a two hour period, you were using it wrong. Just a heads up for people wanting to get into it.

Jesus Christ. FWIW, that's nothing like my experience with it and I'm using way off spec hardware. If y'all are having issues, I'm happy to help troubleshoot. I'm on the tech support desk for it for a month anyway :v:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

For instance, one of my favorites is that the equation editor won't accept a user-defined global variable called "thickness." If you try it, it will accept the name just fine, but when you try to assign a value it says "the equation is invalid."

This is not to forgive this but lmao I actually know this one: it's because thickness is a reserved variable for sheet metal. It does suck that Dassault expects everyone to get their (also very expensive) training.

Rhino does own bones. I'm really, really glad I bought a license to it before the other CAD programs because "Swiss Army Knife" is right. It'll eat up and spit out just about anything. I should actually get brushed back up on it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Not necessarily "wrong"

Probably the hardest thing to do with SWX is get the muscle memory down. If you do something and DO NOT move your mouse, a pretty good set of shortcuts show up. They're workspace dependent (e.g. surfaces vs sketch vs features) but they're really good.

The S key will also do two things:
1) activate an in context shortcut menu for what SWX guesses you want to do next

AND

2) brings a cursor up in the "search" toolbar in the upper right. You can start typing what you want to do and I'll come up.

I used to do a lot of Rhino and Fusion just by typing commands, so maybe that'll help.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

CorelCAD is $30 on the Humble Bundle. Windows and macOS compatible. No CAM plugin solution AFAIK, but if you're in the cold on macOS after Fusion's changes, it's worth having just as insurance. I picked it up myself.

I haven't used it, but I've worked with mass producers who do, so it's capable.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I never tried it, but I had heard the Mac version of Fusion 360 was more there to tick a marketing box than be actually useful, sorry friend :smith:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It has been extremely heartwarming to see everyone helping out with CAD learning :kimchi:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I think I must be misunderstanding, but if you just change stock thickness on the same model, it'll regenerate your tool paths. If you have different sized X-Y dimensions on your stock, things may get a little hairy. If you *really* wanted the design to automatically end up in, say, the center of your board.

I've never milled OSB, so I don't know if there's some trick to it, but I've milled MDF and plywood at the same feeds and speeds (different models, though) and sandpaper is your friend with plywood anyway.

Also, please wear a ventilator when milling MDF. It's pretty much made of sawdust and poison.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've been doing a little exploring in trying to get SOLIDWORKS to work with our Universal Lasers at the makerspace. Looks like you just print directly from Drawings after setting your page size to be the size of the print bed. Change your lines and fill for vector and raster and that seems like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds_wfMboWNk

Anyone had any hands on experience before I go at it this weekend?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Double posting because it's been a few days:

Laser cutting on a Universal straight from SOLIDWORKS Drawings could not have been any easier. I need to do some template work, but it really is just as simple as getting your lines thin, the correct color, and hitting the print button.

Edu is what we have at the space despite making my test file on a commercial license. It rastered out the watermark :v

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That's super neat! I almost shared it to my maker space but no way in hell am I inspiring anyone to put wood in our Tormach.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Anyone have a preferred chipload/feeds and speeds calculator? I was eyeing FSWizard Pro, but it looks like its recommendations are based on having a machine that's completely cast iron and the size of a schoolbus.

I can work with that, but even a calculator aiming at "light duty" machines like a Tormach would be a delight. Taig folks have a favorite?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanks to both of y'all! I think we have a GWizard license with our Tormach at the space, so I'll poke around in there as well as Machining Advisor Pro.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Are most of those 3018/Sainsmart routers for PCBs and engraving already finished wood/plastic rather than cheaper ShapeOkos?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Assuming you want a fully-fledged cnc mill that can handle engineering materials/metals- you need a higher budget, significantly higher when you remember that tooling and fixtures will tack a couple hundred at minimum to the mill price. I wouldn't say you need to spend Tormach-tier money, there's always Taig and Sherline machines, but we're still talking "one to several thousand dollars" all in. I have a CNCed Taig micro mill and I think it's run me about $3k canadian since I first picked it up.

That said, I wouldn't buy a mill -or- a 3d printer for making electronics enclosures, I would get a laser cutter. They're the best pick for doing "2D" work like this- instead of producing the enclosure as a single monolithic part, you break it up into panels, cut those out, and assemble. Reasons you should do this:
- you can produce parts very quickly
- most machines have generous X/Y working areas compared to similarly-priced 3d printers/cnc mills
- They do accurate and precise work
- it's a non-contact process so you barely need to think about workholding, gravity is usually sufficient. and tooling? what's tooling?
- their feedstock- wood/plastic sheet or board stock- is absurdly cheap compared to 3d printer filament and you can get it from any hardware store
- things you make have excellent mechanical properties compared to FDM printed parts
- a laser cutter will also double as an engraver, letting you burn raster images or vectory tracery into parts in the same program set up for cutting

downsides are that it's pricier than an entry-level 3d printer- although still much cheaper than a cnc mill, i would budget $500-1000 for an entry-level laser machine- and that the nature of CO2 lasers means you can't work with metal or specific engineering materials that offgas toxic poo poo when burnt. also it's a noxious/hazardous process compared to 3d printing, albeit still perfectly safe if used responsibly- you can't run them unattended because of the fire risk and you'll need to put serious thought into either filtering the laser fumes or blowing them outside.

What lasers are you thinking around that price range? Are K40s no longer expensive firestarters?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If y'all have some models to link, I'd love to take a look. I realized I could plot directly from SOLIDWORKS Drawings to Universal lasers and I'd love to catch that high on a small home machine.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

There was a brief, beautiful moment where I thought the price was $420.69 instead of $420.62 :negative:

Thanks very much! I imagine things get less hinky around the $1k mark?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanks friends! I've never really looked into home lasers, and the 50W ones look a little more my speed if I feel the need to grab one for home.

My first home shop CNC pickup will hopefully be a Taig lathe - that'll do nicely with the Tormach and ShapeOkos at the makerspace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I think I've asked before, but does anyone have any preferred shuttles or pendants? I think the Contour Design one is rather popular, but I'd love to have one I didn't have to label

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/697104-REG/Contour_SXPRB_Shuttle_Xpress_NLE_Multimedia_Controller.html