Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Randel Candygram posted:

I'd also love to hear any experiences people have had with shapeoko kits. I've been thinking about getting one for some woodworking and possibly making some aluminum parts, but I'm skeptical they're as good as they sound.

We recently got a Shapeoko2 at our hackerspace. It's about as good an entry-level CNC kit you're likely to find. We've got the default kit, with knock-off Dremel spindle and ~12x12 inch working area.

Super easy to put together and the firmware and software are easy to understand and use. Cutting PCBs, wood, and plastic have been a piece of cake. I haven't tried any metals yet: From my reading, it's tricky, but possible.

Honestly, it's probably the best entry-level CNC kit going right now: Easy to put together, easy to understand, easy to use. Capable, accurate, and stiff enough for any easy-to-cut material you might throw at it, and simple enough that it's easy to upgrade into an unrecognizable monstrosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
The CAM Tools supplied with Autodesk's Fusion 360 are surprisingly capable and easy to use. I've used it with good success with the built-in G-code generators on a Shapeoko and a Shopbot.

Fusion 360 is free for non-commercial use, or commercial use below $100k revenue per year (iirc).