Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just got myself a shopbot 4'x8' cnc router. It's not homemade, and I'm using it for work and play. Do I still get to participate here?

It's by far the most awesome and obvious thing ever. I can't believe I have been using table saws and hand tools for so long.

For a little content: Has anyone found a source for ready-to-go CAD or gcode files? I'd like to cut myself out a new cabinet for the sink in my bathroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What electronics will you be putting on it? I've been thinking about making a laser machine with a shapeoko 2 base, a tinyG control board and a couple nema 17 to run it. Definitely post updates please.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 28, 2013

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Try importing with a .eps file.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If you're willing to go with plastic and acrylic gears, why not a laser engraver/cutter?

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I’ll be the voice of dissent here: if you don’t have $10k to spend on a kit-router (like a Shopbot), then just don’t get one. The hardest part of cnc’ing is the vector design work. Concentrate on producing fantastic designs and pay your local sign shop to run their router.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Most of the sign industry uses Corel Draw to do their design work. It's easy to get the hang of, being both more simple and less powerful than Illustrator or AutoCAD. If you're the kind of person that likes to say, "arrr, matey" then you might be able to find a copy of Draw any number of places.

I use a a combination of Corel Draw (2019) and VCarve (an old version from roughly 2013) to do my design work. VCarve has a few features that Corel Draw does not duplicate.