Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hey rotor I worked a cnc router for 6 and a half years so if you need hot tips don't be afraid to ask. I "worked" woods plastics and metals and can say that officially steel is harder than aluminium, copper is poo poo to cut and resin/epoxy things smell bad and cut very slowly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the part I miss the most is being able to make virtually anything during my lunch break. I want to make a sub box for my car and I could have cut the entire thing with pilot holes and be completely ready to assemble in one hour but now I'm gonna have to do with a saw and the edges will be horrible and it'll just plain suck and never mention being able to buy materials through work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nice! what kind of alu is it and are you using a lube?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we used to find that there was a world of difference between like 8001 and 8005 Ali [or whatever it was], the cheaper stuff that was great for folding bending etc was substantially worse for machining.. maybe it doesn't matter but I guess it's worth knowing that the marine grade was so much easier to cut so if you are having trouble with it cutting clean just something to be aware of. maybe preaching to the choir but I'm risking it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this isn't even my final form

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it's cool dude I mean I worked 6.5 years machining alu but to be fair neither I not anyone I worked with had any real engineering or manufacturing experience. we found the softer grades of alu chewed up and harder ones machined nicely. idk if I was really trying to say anything but get an avatar or something jesus

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

i think you underestimate the sizes that would be useful to me, but yeah you're probably right about the last part.

metal is so expensive gosh

It's all retrievable by scrap dudes so they usually sell it before you can get it.
have you looked up "profile cutting" instead of machining or whatever it's just perhaps another group of dudes who might have scrap

hayden. posted:

You should look into smelting (I think that's the right word) your own aluminum. It's super easy and you just throw in whatever crap you have and it pours into neat little bars in the same shape you see gold bars (or whatever shape you want). All you need is a hot plate or some charcoal, a hair dryer, and a crucible. A single trip to a junk heap will get you all the aluminum you need. Or just find people on craigslist throwing stuff out for free, like old exercise equipment.

This is probably cool but the alu that comes out is going to be terrible. a tragedy about recycling is how even the grade/alloy of Ali in the sides of a Ali can is different from the lid and they aren't compatible and it's still cheaper to smelt from ore than recycle cans because the resultant alloy is poo poo for anything. I think

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CarForumPoster posted:

It is steel. Alloys of steel can basically do everything they just do it heavier but from super alloys to corrosion resistance to very high strength to great machinability steel pretty much owns.

the correct answer was "thrash", nice one newbie

quote:

Oh then yea that is true in precip hardenable aluminum alloys, when the matrix itself is harder it is generally more machinable. Hence why machining stuff as cast suck rear end.
dude and you said what I said made no sense

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CarForumPoster posted:

Agree with most of what is above adding to it, 10-30% step over since you probably have no spindle power. Carbide endmills can be fed around 1% of diameter per tooth.

As a person whose job it was to cut alloy for over 6 years this makes no sense

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whatever doesn't kill you

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

gently caress. I forgot one parameter in my CAM software that always gets me and now I have two 5-hour jobs that were cut improperly by 50 thousandths. Fffffffffff

It's recoverable, but drat

this is why you should never do anything that matters

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I used to use the gently caress out of CASMate and I swear after 6 years fulltime of using and abusing it I could basically use it as CAD software. I was way more fluent in it that AutoCAD or anything and there were some nice things about it, since it was sign software it had some great tools for tracing raster images to vector and for tidying them up. The templatey features were amazing and I think I made that program do far more than it was ever designed to do. If it wasn't for that program and my ability to use the gently caress out it that business would have been in the shitter

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
CASMate is pretty old now, you have to find a hacked copy because the legit copies rely on a dongle which the program accesses directly so NT windows can't use it, ie, you have to use Windows 98. It was a program I used when I did this poo poo for a job years ago but I'm sure you can find something more appropriate.

When I did CNC I didn't have to bother with tool paths or any of that bullshit. Depends how close to the bits you want to get and how close to real 3D (vs 2.5D)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thats insane

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh poo poo, in that case I take it back.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i would be so bold, that I would lathe at 11pm or even later. no mods no masters

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyLittle posted:

Given the choice to drill a 9mm diameter x 25mm deep hole or mill it as a circular pocket (into a 2" aluminum cube), which would you guys choose?

I still read your username as echopenis

that says a lot about how much cock you think about

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
glad to see on a word based forum apparently educated adults still can't read

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we used to router the entire sacrific board
to be level to the machine

practice never worked as well as the theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
come on Jawn this is hobby cnc not spaceship assembly. accuracy is a bonus, not a requirement