Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

ante posted:

Seems to me that the linear rods are necessary for accuracy. I could lower the platform like you say, but then there's nothing stopping the side-to-side motion or the up-and-down. Square tubing isn't exactly built to tight tolerances, so bearings wouldn't go over the surfaces perfectly smoothly.

Or am I overlooking something?

The rods seem pretty dodgy. I don't think you'll get the rigidity you're looking for, especially in the center of the range. There's also no simple way for a hobbyist to "true" the bearing surfaces. Much easier to use a flat surface and lap the ways against a reference surface (sheet glass is a great poor man's surface plate) before lapping the carriage against the ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
There's no way that thing can hold 2 tenths with a 25 lb mass, some dodgy looking ways, and a table supported on one side only. The spindle looks surprisingly decent yet I doubt its runout is even nearly that low.

edit: Really don't think I trust a machine tool designed and assembled in a shop that consists of a computer and an incorrectly supported surface plate.

sixide fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 22, 2013

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
Noise is heavily dependent on the operation, material, and chip load. Drilling isn't a big deal except for the initial penetration. It can be mitigated by step drilling. Turning is generally fine unless you take deep or interrupted cuts. Running a fly cutter is pretty much out of the question. Grinding will drive your neighbors nuts.

If you were running a small Taig or similar mill and take moderate cuts in soft to medium plastic, you might be okay.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
If you can machine the part, you can probably machine a close-fitting mounting fixture. Still have to clamp it down somehow, though. Vacuum would make sense.