Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006

bung posted:

Anyone here have any experience with the Shapeoko 2 desktop CNCs? I was seriously considering the MyDIYCNC Sprite but the Shapeoko 2 has a 12"x12" cutting area compared to the Sprite's 7"x13" for only $50 more. The Shapeoko just seems to look a little more polished compared to some of the other CNC kits that are currently available.

I preordered the Shapeoko 2 but I don't think they've started shipping any of them yet. I can tell you about it once it shows up though. It looks fairly well polished and they designed it to be easy to expand, it just requires longer Makerslides and some longer g2 belting. Being able to expand it was one of the biggest draws to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006
So far the plan is to use an Arduino with a Grblshield for the controller,and I want to use Nema 23 steppers on the X axis and Nema 17 steppers on the Y and Z axis. I'm really interested in being able to expand it out to 4x4 or 4x6ish (since the only options on Makerslide are 1m or 1.8m).

I know they like to bill it as a cnc mill but it's really more of a cnc router. Although I think it would work great as a laser cutter, and I've seen a few Shapeoko 1 builds that were used with a laser.

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006
I run a DW660 on my Shapeoko and I usually run 30 ipm at about .07 - .1 depth of cut on plywood and mdf using a 2 flute end mill without any issues. You could probably run it a little more aggressive if you upgraded the X and Y steppers.

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006
A lot of CAD programs let you load an image directly into them and scale them to size with some kind of reference dimension. After that you can pretty much just trace around it like you would in illustrator.