Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Feed Me A Cat posted:

There I am at the bottom of the enemy team list. Your tank was made up of bullshit that game, I swear. You were also in a game with me in Jungle that was equally as much of a ragefest for me.

I really want them to put the better StuGs in the game; whole bunch of T-34s with minor modeling and gun barrel swaps, only two Stugs? StuG III F production run was from March to September 1942, and they've only put the early version of the F in; June 1942, they weld on 30mm more armor on the front, and they slap the L/48 gun on it. Would really be nice to have some chance of bouncing rounds instead of eating penetrating shots from basically everything in Tier II and definitely anything BR 3.0 or above.

Were you the one who rammed me after I shot you under the bridge?
I really enjoy how small the player pool is at late t3. I kept seeing the same 2 or 3 hetzers today that would tunnel vision on me as I crested a hill. I never popped up again and flanked them to find them staring at the same spot where I was 6 minutes ago.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Don't worry, tankers. If you want a preview of what to expect from combined arms tomorrow, I suggest watching this short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNfd7LW8d1Q

ghetto wormhole posted:

SB planes isn't actually too bad with mouse and keyboard once you get over the initial difficulty hump. If you're decent at RB you can figure out SB.

Also if you're not broke you can just buy a joystick for like $20.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
A bad joystick is worse than mouse joy. I have never used a cheap joystick that wasn't a complete piece of poo poo. Also there is no point in getting a joystick if you aren't going to get something with a separate throttle control thing, because they're loving awesome.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I use the Logitec 3D joint and it is just fine. Has its own throttle flap, a twist rudder and a bunch of buttons but doesn't feel like it's going to break or anything.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are the BRs matched for combined arms, such that if you bring German reserve planes an tanks you won't see player-controlled AA?

I've gotten decent at dive-bombing in RoF, so I-153 is good to go for me with bombs OR rockets. I prefer the idea of bombs, though.

Like someone else said, this all depends on the AAA being toned down so you can make more than 0.7 passes.

EDIT: I got a Thrustmaster HOTAS for about $40 and it's real fuckin' neat-o.

EDIT EDIT: Would be nice if I had some pedals though...*mental note to look this up when I get home*

AMISH FRIED PIES fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 30, 2014

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I think the viewoption "player view" in replays is a bit too shaky. Also 7 "air" kills with a :britain: Hellcat. Though 3 of those were on the runway :). At the end of the whole poo poo I still had ~400 MG rounds left. I should really start couting bullets to optimize my AP bullet use. The reason I got those kills was my superior choice of the right ammo belt (ground targets). It had nothing to do with being in the right lucky spot at the right time or stuff like being able to fly. Because I'm bad at that.
If you're using the wrong belt, you're going to seriously unironically suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vkviQK6-oQ

P.S.
I wonder if I should dust off my Saitek yoke/rudder for CA.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I got my first 152mm double kill :toot:

Finally got into a good spot with my KV-2 and took out 7 tanks on Jungle. Just enough of a flank from the capture point that most of the enemy team was sniping towards it instead of trying to blow me up.

I'm looking forward to combined forces tomorrow, I can finally shoot down some planes blaze away ineffectually with flak at targets I'm meant to shoot.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
:frogsiren: HOLY poo poo! :frogsiren:

Thrustmaster T160000, in other words the MOST BALLS-SHITTINGLY AMAZING cheap joystick is on sale for 25 bucks!
25 bucks! You are practically losing money by not buying it now.

This will help you get airborne super fast and has also a hall-sensor for that super smooth, silky action.

GET IT! GET IT!

http://www.microcenter.com/product/353242/T16000M_Flight_Stick_Joystick

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I think the viewoption "player view" in replays is a bit too shaky. Also 7 "air" kills with a :britain: Hellcat. Though 3 of those were on the runway :). At the end of the whole poo poo I still had ~400 MG rounds left. I should really start couting bullets to optimize my AP bullet use. The reason I got those kills was my superior choice of the right ammo belt (ground targets). It had nothing to do with being in the right lucky spot at the right time or stuff like being able to fly. Because I'm bad at that.
If you're using the wrong belt, you're going to seriously unironically suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vkviQK6-oQ

P.S.
I wonder if I should dust off my Saitek yoke/rudder for CA.

Um excuUUuUuuuUuUuUUuse me, but the true cyber-aces use the universal/omni-purpose belt because :supaburn: at 90° deflection from 1km away.

But for real though the Hellcat is great.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Do the early JU-87s get the Jericho Trumpet? Because that would sound amazing, diving on tanks.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

SkySteak posted:

Do the early JU-87s get the Jericho Trumpet? Because that would sound amazing, diving on tanks.

Yes, but only you can hear it

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Vahakyla posted:

:frogsiren: HOLY poo poo! :frogsiren:

Thrustmaster T160000, in other words the MOST BALLS-SHITTINGLY AMAZING cheap joystick is on sale for 25 bucks!
25 bucks! You are practically losing money by not buying it now.

This will help you get airborne super fast and has also a hall-sensor for that super smooth, silky action.

GET IT! GET IT!

http://www.microcenter.com/product/353242/T16000M_Flight_Stick_Joystick

Picked this up in the eventual hope of playing CASB. Also I can finally play RoF. Hope it's as good as you say duder.

Yeah the Hall sensor thing sounds like it owns.

Target Practice fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 30, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Target Practice posted:

Picked this up in the eventual hope of playing CASB. Also I can finally play RoF. Hope it's as good as you say duder.

Yeah the Hall sensor thing sounds like it owns.

drat son, get into DCS.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633891

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

It's beautiful.

Looks like you were trying to paint a true All-American tank and got confused halfway through. :fsmug:

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Spent my double in the KV sitting in the A cap point on Ash River staring down 3 KV-1s, a T-50, two Pz IIIs and a Pz IV. Repair tank for 1m30s, pop one, gun is destroyed again so I have to wait to pop another, and so on. Pretty crappy rewards since I only killed 4 tanks, but it was funny. Too bad none of my allies had artillery, at least the enemy popped one of their tanks with arty aimed at me.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

I dunno man I don't think I've attained Sperglord Actual status yet, I checked that thread out and it's intimidating as gently caress.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kuntz posted:

Looks like you were trying to paint a true All-American tank and got confused halfway through. :fsmug:

excuse me it is an all-american tank you anti-semite.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

srb posted:

Spent my double in the KV sitting in the A cap point on Ash River staring down 3 KV-1s, a T-50, two Pz IIIs and a Pz IV. Repair tank for 1m30s, pop one, gun is destroyed again so I have to wait to pop another, and so on. Pretty crappy rewards since I only killed 4 tanks, but it was funny. Too bad none of my allies had artillery, at least the enemy popped one of their tanks with arty aimed at me.

I wish they would give bonus points for shooting people in caps or shooting from caps. I have lost too many games when the ai caps while im in a heavy 8min away and no one is willing to do anything but camp

deflection points would be great even if it was only half the points of a hit
VVVVVVVVVVVVV

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 30, 2014

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Or points for sitting there and eating some 50 shells.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

I wish they would give bonus points for shooting people in caps or shooting from caps. I have lost too many games when the ai caps while im in a heavy 8min away and no one is willing to do anything but camp
That'd be neat.

I managed to not lose one in a similar way, but it was the single most miserable winning drive ever:

I found myself alone against three Tigers in my T-34-85 on Jungle (half their team rushed to spawn-camp-kill my team's respawners), near their cap when our cap starts going down. I start moving back towards my side of the map along the south road and take a side shot to my engine (lighting me on fire) crossing the first bridge. I put it out, return fire (one shot him), and begin repairs. A minute thirty later my engine is good to go, but my transmission is blinking red (not destroyed, no repair, gently caress you) and my tank is utterly loving crawling. I struggle up the watchtower hill (at like 2 kph) and find Tiger #2 starring me down. We exchange a few shots, he dies, and I sit there repairing my broken horizontal turret drive whilst mourning the loss of my gunner and driver.

The cap begins creeping up in their favor. I start crawling even slower than before down the watchtower hill and start looking towards the cap (~50% capped). I finally spot the Tiger (oblivious to my existence) and take some time lining up a good shot on him. Shoot and kill him. Sit there for a good 30 seconds before realizing that one of their guys got dropped so they had an AI plane and I have to go cap to win. Proceed to spend nearly two minutes crawling across the map to their cap, killing an AI on my way. Start graying the cap and ready to Alt+Tab for the haul when I notice they have two AI running off to get my cap (and probably cap it out faster from gray than I'd cap theirs).

I set an intercept course and, luckily, cut them off mid-way along the beach (still about a minute drive with my broke rear end tank) and put them both down. Drive back to their cap (arriving well after it'd grayed) and then Alt+Tab for 2~2:30 minutes for it to cap.

All told, I was the only member of my team alive for about ten minutes and over half of that was even after all the human enemy tanks were dead. But, you know, I got the W and that's all that counts, right? :unsmith: Right? :smith: Right!? :smithicide:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Giving a significant bonus to anyone attacking or defending a capzone would make the game flow a lot better, even if that's just initiating a cap timer for a friendly point or rolling over an enemy point to destabilize it.

Target Practice posted:

I dunno man I don't think I've attained Sperglord Actual status yet, I checked that thread out and it's intimidating as gently caress.

It's really not as bad as it seems. If you just want to fly around at first, you can start almost every plane by simply pressing 2 button combos to turn the engines on and close the canopy.

FAUXTON posted:

excuse me it is an all-american tank you anti-semite.

I'm looking at a map of North and South America but I'm having a hard time finding Israel. :confused:

ClassicFascist posted:

You forgot to mention how he got there. Shot down by a spit mk 1a bot... Adam OP pls nerf.

e: unless that's from a different match because I think we were flying p47s now that I think about it.

That was a different match but Adam came back for more later in the night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAIIrPA9z8s&hd=1

Michaellaneous saved me :unsmith:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Even anime Nazis know the Griffins are OP as poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AK_Wz0L46E&t=376s

The preceding dogfight is also great. The FW pilot gets jumped by multiple Spitfires, does some ineffectual aileron rolls, then bails to deny the kill.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Don't, uh, watch this at work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnJXSWfT04M

Just gonna leave this here. gently caress Kickstarter.

Also, tomorrow's the thread reboot. :toot:

Azran fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 30, 2014

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Famethrowa posted:

I was afraid this thread would get lovely like WoT when open beta launched :(

So much for being the chilliest of milsperg threads.

Tanks ruin everything, down on the ground shits stressful, dudes in the air just relax and get higher :smugdog:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The duck is actually really easy to fly in SB. Too bad the B-3 is barely airworthy and loses like a fifth of its speed when it fires.

Also five golden manbabies to anyone that can take off in Ju-87D-5 with the biggest bombload. I couldn't do it without the plane flipping over and crashing on takeoff. Just kidding I did it, definitely not a stable loadout though.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 30, 2014

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
The invisible tanks thing is so loving retarded.

You know these concrete dragon teeth things that one crest of a hill on north-west of Kuban? I was approaching them from east and I got shot three times, by a JagdPanther who was right behind them, didn't even budge, and didn't display for a single second for me, as a approached from 500 to about 200 meters. I was looking right at the spot the shells and smoke were coming from, and he just wasn't there. He finally killed me and the camera snapped onto him, and he sat right at the spot I figured he should be.

Mind me, this was Simulator.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
USSR Realistic Battles Combined Arms Hangar: T-50, TB-3

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wales Grey posted:

USSR Realistic Battles Combined Arms Hangar: T-50, TB-3

The TB-3 is so slow I think the tank with the slowest, arc-iest projectile could easily hit it. :v:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Wales Grey posted:

USSR Realistic Battles Combined Arms Hangar: T-50, TB-3SU-2

TB-3 is pretty bad for anything other than killing tanks on cap points, and it's a total aaa magnet.

Is combined arms up yet?

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Heliosicle posted:

Tanks ruin everything, down on the ground shits stressful, dudes in the air just relax and get higher :smugdog:

Having five or ten minutes at the start of every fight to lazily roll around in the clouds really does chill you the gently caress out, planes are great.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Heliosicle posted:

Is combined arms up yet?

Nope.

quote:

We are working to turn the mixed battles on, but no ETA yet. It's planned for today (Moscow time), that's what I can say.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Teal posted:

The invisible tanks thing is so loving retarded.

You know these concrete dragon teeth things that one crest of a hill on north-west of Kuban? I was approaching them from east and I got shot three times, by a JagdPanther who was right behind them, didn't even budge, and didn't display for a single second for me, as a approached from 500 to about 200 meters. I was looking right at the spot the shells and smoke were coming from, and he just wasn't there. He finally killed me and the camera snapped onto him, and he sat right at the spot I figured he should be.

Mind me, this was Simulator.

Happens a lot to me too. It's especially noticeable when enemy tanks are cresting a hill or going behind cover. Usually they stop drawing way before the whole tank should be out of view.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Heliosicle posted:

TB-3 is pretty bad for anything other than killing tanks on cap points, and it's a total aaa magnet.

All I want to do with my sky-whale is land it somewhere on the tanks portion of the map.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I remember when custom battles weren't limited in the CBT. Flying the H6K4 and having Pz IV rounds go right through you with minimal damage was the best. :allears:

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aced SU-100. Best era 4 soviet tonk by a long shot atm and probably absolutely best Soviet tank destroyer.

The stock ammo blows, tho, the second round is a straight up upgrade and the D round performs almost exactly like the standard long 88mm shell (loving good).

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The SU-100 gets post-war ammo? That seems a bit silly.

I guess it's only fair though, since Germany gets the 88 KwK43 at tier 4, which is arguably the best gun in the game.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 30, 2014

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Combined forces is live!

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dezztroy posted:

The SU-100 gets post-war ammo? That seems a bit silly.

I guess it's only fair though, since Germany gets the 88 KwK43 at tier 4, which is arguably the best gun in the game.

Well, Germans get unlimited loads of the 88mm APCR rounds which most crews never had, or had only a couple.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CA has no effect on SB except making me hangar my jets before the match. It makes RB seem like arcade with 24/7 explosions

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Terror of the Skies from shooting down a Yer-2 in my Tiger. Who said the tank-mounted 88 wasn't meant for anti-air duty? :clint:

Combined arms is the best.

• Locked thread