Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Mans posted:

I will never understand why no one stole Red Orchestra's tank mechanics and turned it into an online game. They were so good, too good for their time clearly (and too good for Tripwire since RO2's tanking is pathetic :smith:
Expecting people to play a tank driver for a whole match was a bit much I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
So apparently the R Stuka cannot take off from the B airfield in Battle of Britain with a 1000kg bomb. :smith:
Tried driving to their base with no wings, but the British tree Home Guard put an end to that.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
So parking the H6K on an airfield is great. Just sit there and laugh as pubbies fly through you and into the ground, and you rack up kills and assists. :japan:
Now if I could only successfully use the torpedoes in historical....

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
It will be a sad day when people stop going head-on with the Beaufighter.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Hmmm, looks like a new mini-update just went up.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Saw a random guy just quit when facing a sky full of Mig-3s on Korea. Then saw two near-clean sweeps (accompanied by much rage and cryptic Cyrillic insults) flying the Mig-3. :ussr:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Feindfeuer posted:

Why would anyone quiet when facing Mig-3? Was he afraid of getting to many kills?
Apparently it is one of the OP BS Russian planes. :911:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks to whoever suggested using the bazookas on the A-20 for ship hunting. Heavy cruiser sunk in one pass. :black101:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
The Ar-2 divebrake is back. :neckbeard:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

krazysigmarite posted:

Hahahaha oh god Italian planes are terrible. Just like everything else they had in WW2, I guess. I also enjoy how when you research the Freccia g50, you are downgrading from a loving biplane in speed, maneuverability, and armament. Somehow the dinky little Falco holds 900 .50cal rounds while the monoplane only has 300.
But hey, they were probably the only nation to put ashtrays in their cockpits in WW2 (I swear I saw this in an IL2 cockpit model a while ago, but I can't find info about this anywhere.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Stevefin posted:

also above teir 2 its Yer games now. I have given up on playing above T2 as the game is over in less than five minutes now with every team being yers
I guess I've been lucky, since I've played tier III Russia all day and have only seen a few games ended instantly ended by yer-2s, usually it's just one guy with a yer-2 which is manageable.
Edit: Soon as I posted this, yer-2s immediately end the next game I'm in. :downs:

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 30, 2013

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
What are the best belts for the premium P-51 on Guardian Angles? Just got two kills on my first outing with the ground attack belts, wonder if I should use one of the other options instead?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Wow, now I've started seeing the Yers with a Tier II British lineup....think I'm going to stick to Tier I for a while or at least stop using the Boomerang. :smith:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

The Orange Mage posted:

Today's challenges seem to be...late. :crossarms:
No challenges for the next two days due to the New Year.
edit: according to a community manager post on that awful, awful forum.

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 31, 2013

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

ProfessorCurly posted:

Don't know if this has been posted before:
Old 666
Also old newsreel
Here's another pretty good documentary series, Wings of Russia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCUd7WcaLO0

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Just got temporarily banned for an offensive name. Apparently "LYNDON_B_JOHNSON" is too edgy.

What the gently caress.
My name is RussianBias. I live in constant fear. :stare:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Yeah I talked with a GM and anything political is off limits, but you can name yourself after Nazis or whatever without issue apparently.
I just saw a guy with an anime waifu version of Adolf Galland on the official forum. :psyduck:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

El Disco posted:

There's no way for you to unbutton and get picked off by a rifleman :(

E: leaving an empty tank of course because you left spawn without another crew member because gently caress teamwork.
Also nobody has the "fun" task of playing the driver the whole match.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Is its big (expensive) brother the XP-55 worth it?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
A Germany v. Japan event in the style of the current US v. UK one would be nice also.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Germany basically sucks until you unlock the 109 F-G's and get the 20mm gunpods for the wings.
The Dorniers can be a pretty good poor man's Beaufighter. And you get two!
Just keep your tier II lineup at their battle rating (throw in the pretty good MC 202) until you get the good 109s.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Space Wizard posted:

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to game sessions? I keep getting 'Error 82220002', but it doesn't seem like my computer is blocking any traffic through Gaijin, and my internet connection is fine.
Same issue here. It will start connecting to a battle and then the error pops up.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

:japan:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Dezztroy posted:

e: Damnit. Anyways, is the XP-50 a good investment? People say it climbs like a monster, which sounds pretty good. Do we know what battle rating the XF5F will be? Using them together would be ideal.
It is great fun in arcade, especially in bomber-heavy games, as you just chew up the oblivious with stealth belts and zoom away back to space.
The tiny ammo load and fragility really hurts in RB though unless you're a really good pilot.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

YellerBill posted:

Jesus Tapdancing Christ the team with more A-20s always wins, in Arcade. :( How do I deal with something that turns my whole plane black with a couple glancing hits, has a turret, and goes faster than everything else put together?
Rockets. :getin:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Nothing quite like getting tag-teamed by a Tempest and a Mustang in a Zero while half your team is chasing a single Wildcat bot. :suicide:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Is the Shinzan worth researching?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
The G8N1 may be great, but don't buy the G5N.
Don't even think about buying it. It is awful. :psypop:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Anyone have a preference as far as defensive turret belts go? Or does this make even less of a difference?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

ukle posted:

The G5N1 has issues, but once you work out how to handle those issues its usable, and if anything good due to its bombload.

Unupgraded it barely turns, and the only real way to get it to run is to pull up and bank it round, and evn then it will overshoot where you wanted it to be. With all the upgrades it gets a lot more agile, but still is the slowest turning bomber around.

The big plus for it is the bomb load, which if used correctly can kill on most realistic maps half the ground objectives in one pass. Honestly work with it as its ability to kill so many ground targets makes it worth the hassle; although thats really only appropriate due to the makeup of the Japanese maps which have about the most favorable ground target selection of any side - well apart from the used to be instant suicide map where you have to bomb a convey of 25~ ships.
I've given it a few more chances and you're quite right. Does pretty good damage in RB and can be repaired after even the most spectacular "landings". :japan:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

McSpanky posted:

The Jug's elevator flap still falls off if a loving pebble looks at it sideways, that poo poo's frustrating as hell.
Yep, about the only thing you can rely on it for is surviving the occasional ram.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, I just watched a couple new Grmlz Tank videos, and daaaamn I really wish I was in the CBT. Any idea if they're doing more invite waves. I should've worked harder on that stupid event.
Hey buddy, at least you're not in the beta but unable to participate due to your potato laptop's graphics hardware. :smith:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
From B.H. Liddell Hart's interview with Hasso von Manteuffel in "The German Generals Talk":

quote:

"Tanks must be fast. That, I would say is the most important lesson of the war in regards to tank design. The Panther was on the right lines, as a prototype. We used to call the Tiger a 'furniture van'-though it was a good machine in the initial breakthrough. Its slowness was a worse handicap in Russia than in France, because the distances were greater."

He considered that the Russian "Stalin" tank was the finest in the world. It combined powerful armament, thick armor, low build, with a speed superior to the Tiger and not much less than that of the Panther. It had more general mobility than any German tank.

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 19, 2014

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Simply turn your smoke on and tell them to do it too, then do manoeuvres, this tends to make people do fun things.
This appears to have caught on with the German teams on the Guardian Angel event. It is glorious. :getin:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Bunleigh posted:

Welp I got my corsair's wing shot off by a goddamn wellington I was screaming down on at 450mph. Maybe I better not play this tonight.
That's a good sign you should call it a day. Also, nothing quite like sliding up alongside a Wellington in RB and giving it a full broadside of B-25 freedom fifties. :fsmug:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Thief posted:

As much as I like the 202, I can't really recommend flying it unless you want a challenge.

Anyone that wants to learn how to play RBs without getting stomped should just take the LaGG-3-6 (the white one) out for a few rounds. It often goes up against biplanes and :italy: planes that really have no chance against it's roll rate, cannons and overall speed.
Or the Hurricane Mk. 1. :britain: Poor little He-51s.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Strafing 3 zeros on a runway (pretty much only ones left, total corsair domination) and getting the first Bearcat. :feelsgood:
So should I go for the F80 or the second Bearcat?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Nektu posted:

Where exactly do I disable autorepair for my planes?
Little wrench icon on the hangar screen (bottom right, next to the ammo resupply bullet icon)

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

kalstrams posted:

Yes. There is a bunch (4) of goons that fly Japan. They require dedication and effort.
Add me to the list too. Happy to fly anything between the Ki-43 and first Shinden/G8N in RB. (RussianBias in-game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
:911: Guardian Angels is back! :911:

:getin:

• Locked thread