Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

Ok. Wtf. The web drivers still won't install.

Could I get TeamViewer on your machine, for a moment? I want to help you but I am unsure of what is wrong. I know if I sit there with you - (perhaps with you and I on skype while I look at the machine, so I can ask you questions and whatnot) I can figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nevermind, bad installer, the versions I was downloading somehow weren't the lastest and now the pref pane works.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

nevermind, bad installer, the versions I was downloading somehow weren't the lastest and now the pref pane works.

Excellent! Poke around, see if anything is broken. A painful way to find that out, but at least it works now...

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok, the HDMI enabler sends OSX into a restart loop. took that out and the web drivers are working as intended. Sound is not loading. Looking back at old step to see if I missed something.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

Ok, the HDMI enabler sends OSX into a restart loop. took that out and the web drivers are working as intended. Sound is not loading. Looking back at old step to see if I missed something.

Is HDAEnabler1.kext on the OS drive or on the Clover drive? Do you see output devices listed under System Prefs - Sound? You should see Line Out, Digital Out etc listed. If not, that means you have no HDAEnabler.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For some reason HDAenabler isn't loading. Ran kextstat and it isn't there. System info reads it as not loaded.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

For some reason HDAenabler isn't loading. Ran kextstat and it isn't there. System info reads it as not loaded.

Is it in /S/L/E? Do a permission repair and reboot. If you see devices in Sound, it is loaded even if kextstat doesn't see it. I believe it terminates itself early in the boot process.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's in there, no joy. Permissions done.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

It's in there, no joy. Permissions done.

Do you see devices listed in Output, under Sound in System Prefs?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nothing but the external sound device. On-boards aren't showing.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

Nothing but the external sound device. On-boards aren't showing.

Alright. Re-run audio_CloverEFI and tell me if it sees your on-board device correctly. HDAEnabler1 not loading is likely the problem but let's make sure.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Done and audio is back. Reinserting HDMI audio.

Edit: Success.

oohhboy fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 7, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

Done and audio is back. Reinserting HDMI audio.

Edit: Success.

Ta-da.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

The final thing you /may/ want is a way to update your copy of Clover. Clover includes a prefpane that no one installs and new builds get put on their sourceforge from time to time, but they are frequently ancient. Maybe there is something in a new build of Clover ( http://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/commit_browser ) that you want, and you don't want to wait for someone to upload it to SourceForge or use some shady compile from InsanelyMac.

That's where CloverGrowerPro comes it. This tool grabs Clover from the source and complies it for you.

In your Projects folder,
code:
git clone https://github.com/JrCs/CloverGrowerPro.git
CD into the folder and run ./CloverGrowerPro.sh

Smooth sailing from here. Configure it with the defaults except: Git and not SVN (SVN is sometimes flaky) and 'Always Build' instead of ask. It'll do a bunch of crap to set things up the first time and spit out a build eventually.

To use it after setup: just type CloverPro into Terminal and hit enter.

You don't need to set this up, but you might want it.

Also, if you use iMessage, check if it is working. Clover does all it can do to make it work, but at the end of the day Apple checks for real (not just valid, but real; I use cloned values from a real Mac) Mac MLB values and that's that. Apple does allow invalid ones to pass through so long as a payment method is on file with your iTunes account (to weed out spammers) and your IP isn't blacklisted for sending spam (Amazon EC2/Rackspace Cloud/etc are blacklisted, for instance).

enMTW fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 7, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like I am good for now. Unless there is any real reason to mess with clover again, I think it is safe to leave things as is.

The web driver issue was largely due to the dodgy links from tonymac since they for some reason didn't link to the latest :barf:. One thing still bugging me is that DVD drive is cycling once in a while with nothing it it.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

Looks like I am good for now. Unless there is any real reason to mess with clover again, I think it is safe to leave things as is.

The web driver issue was largely due to the dodgy links from tonymac since they for some reason didn't link to the latest :barf:. One thing still bugging me is that DVD drive is cycling once in a while with nothing it it.

You'll have to give it an upgrade when 10.11 DP1 comes out (just to get Clover to use the 10.11 folder and not 'other'/to get a nice OS X 10.11 boot icon. That's if Apple doesn't break things) or when a new Nvidia GPU comes out and you get it - Clover injects the names of those GPUs to the OS. Cosmetic, but a thing.

If you look at the Clover commit log and see something and think 'I want that', essentially. So you can wait until you're ready to install 10.11 before updating, yeah.

Ah. Sucks. Don't forget to mod the driver, unless you want it breaking unexpectedly with an OS security update. If you are ever looking for the latest WebDriver, check here: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,8522.345.html

Don't know what causes that, but I've had it happen before. I don't have an optical drive in my current hack.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 7, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will be sweet for years to come as I won't be getting a new GFX card anytime soon as the 780Ti is going to last a long, long time. I also won't be in any hurry to go 10.11 anyway because there isn't any benefit unless you're a developer.

I found a series of link to different releases on another forum and DL most of them to throw at the computer to see which one would stick after checking the version numbers. When a new system update comes by I normally just hold off on it for a couple of days. But we never went over the steps to mod the driver.

The memory speed shown is wrong, but I don't care to gently caress with that, although I will check in BIOS later to make sure it is running at it's normal speed.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

I will be sweet for years to come as I won't be getting a new GFX card anytime soon as the 780Ti is going to last a long, long time. I also won't be in any hurry to go 10.11 anyway because there isn't any benefit unless you're a developer.

I found a series of link to different releases on another forum and DL most of them to throw at the computer to see which one would stick after checking the version numbers. When a new system update comes by I normally just hold off on it for a couple of days. But we never went over the steps to mod the driver.

The memory speed shown is wrong, but I don't care to gently caress with that, although I will check in BIOS later to make sure it is running at it's normal speed.

Yeah I'm not saying run DP1 (though I will, just to see how it likes my hardware/pray it has a native Maxwell driver)

Insanelymac usually has links to the final driver. If you want the final driver, you can get it from Nvidia.com

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/85588/en-us

Filter it by Quadro/The 'for mac' driver. All Nvidia Mac drivers include all cards. Netkas's fourm will have the beta driver and links to the latest final driver for X OS as soon as it comes out, though the prefpane will alert you to final driver releases/offer to download it for you.

I posted how to mod the driver earlier, I'll repost it in a sec since you missed it, no big deal.

EDIT: modding the driver:

To remove WebDriver strict version checking: /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartup.kext

Copy the kext out of the folder (obviously), right click it and 'Show Package Contents'. Go into Contents, open Info.plist (This might be a good time to recommend the app 'PlistEdit Pro' for editing config.plist and Nvidia stuff. Very nice app.)

Go to IOKitPersonalities, NVDAStartup. Under 'NVDARequiredOS', change the value to 14. Reinstall the kext, done.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 7, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I might have found the cause. It seems to have something to do with putting drives to sleep. Looks like it done the trick.

It might be worth while to compile all the current info we used into one post and get it inserted into the OP for others to use. I have to say while Clover is harder to use initially, since it is more "Real" Mac using normal tools on it is much better than messing with hacked ones or stupid crazy HDMI audio setup you see in Chameleon. Once you get you head around Clover it makes a lot more sense and is a lot less black box and requires far less kext use. Despite Chameleon being older, Clover is more mature.

Next time you want a forum upgrade like an avatar, give me a buzz. I owe you at least that much for the amount of tech support given.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

I might have found the cause. It seems to have something to do with putting drives to sleep. Looks like it done the trick.

It might be worth while to compile all the current info we used into one post and get it inserted into the OP for others to use. I have to say while Clover is harder to use initially, since it is more "Real" Mac using normal tools on it is much better than messing with hacked ones or stupid crazy HDMI audio setup you see in Chameleon. Once you get you head around Clover it makes a lot more sense and is a lot less black box and requires far less kext use. Despite Chameleon being older, Clover is more mature.

Next time you want a forum upgrade like an avatar, give me a buzz. I owe you at least that much for the amount of tech support given.

Yay. Now things will 'just work'.

I would like to do that. I think I would have to take over the thread all together to do it - the current OP hasn't touched it since mid-2014. If the mods let me do that, I could simplify what I've posted and put in the OP. Or if the OP shows back up. My concern with having it put in the OP is that I would likely want to gently caress with it many, many times and having to have it reinserted each time would be a pain.

Yeah, most people who switch to Clover feel that way. Chameleon is from a different era - a hacked up version of 'Boot-132', a tool Apple used of the Intel Developer Transition Kit and accidentally open sourced. Chameleon can't even boot a disk image, which prevents you from booting the installer of 10.7 and newer without hacking it up. Clover, meanwhile, can loving automatically patch your AppleHDA. I know which one I'd rather use :D

Thanks man!

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Writing the new OP now. Here's a draft of it. The installation instructions go in post 2, I'm just fixing the first post for now. Will do the second post once I'm done with this one. Let me know what you think, folks.

MTW posted:

What is this?
A Hackintosh is a non-Apple computer that has OS X installed.

Is this legal?
Maybe? No, there are not going to be SWAT teams busting down your door. Be smart, don't sell the computer with OS X on it or try to sell computers with OS X on them, don't pirate the OS, don't worry about it.

Can I use it as my everyday computer?
Yes! If installed correctly, it will be just as stable as a real Mac once it gets up and running.

What are the minimum requirements?
Anything Core 2 or newer from Intel will work (more about that in a minute) but a Sandy Bridge chip or newer and a GIGABYTE motherboard is strongly recommended.

What do you mean, 'more about that in a minute?! And I like my ASUS board? Why does the board matter anyway?!?!?!
Some chips are blacklisted, like certain Atom models, despite the generation of Intel processors that the Atom is of being supported. Some entire Intel generations don't work quite right in OS X, as Apple never used them (Haswell-E). Generally speaking, you want to stick to the consumer line (i3/5/7) of Intels current generation chips, and only upgrade to a new generation after Apple starts using it.

If you want to go Xeon, only use processors of a generation that Apple also used. The Mac Pro (2013, trash can) uses Ivy Bridge-E, for instance.

The motherboard is a tricky part. You want a board that has supported networking/audio/power management inside OS X, not just Windows. Gigabyte makes boards with that magic combo. Also, lots of cheap boards have a hosed up DSDT and just can not run OS X with a lot of hacking.

If in doubt, go Gigabyte. Check the TonyMac recommended hardware list and go from there. If you are sure your board is good for OS X, use it, but don't be surprised if something isn't quite right.

Bulldozer Forever! Can I use AMD processors?
No. It is vaguely possible, but I don't recommend it in the least. The whole OS has to be hacked to hell and back to get it working on AMD chips.

AMD GPUS? Please
Good news: Most modern (7XXX and newer) AMD GPUs work natively. Google the specific one you have/want to get before hand, but it likely works.

Can I make a hackintosh out of a laptop?
Yes, but tread with caution. Google your model and find out if others have had success. If you can't find anything, post its specs in here, and one of us can probably tell you if it is worth trying. Generally speaking, making a HackBook is a world of pain and you should probably just buy a real Mac.

Can I attach a 4k/Retina display to a hackintosh?
Yes, but there are some limitations. You want displays that A: operate over Display Port and not HDMI and B: Use SST and not MST. Some background: first generation 4k displays used MST to operate, which is a nasty hack that barely works. Only a couple Macs ever officially supported MST: The Mac Pro 2013, the 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display and some others. This does rule out the first 'retina class' 4k display - the Dell UP2414Q. Sorry, can't use it.

SST, however, is universally supported. All modern 4k displays use SST - google before buying, but you'll seldom encounter MST anymore. The Dell P2414Q (which is essentially a cheaper UP2414Q) uses SST and as such works beautifully on a hackintosh, as do many other 4k monitors. Lots of choices.

Do make sure your GPU can drive 4k - you need Displayport 1.2 support. All 6XX Nvidia GPUs and higher/most 79XX and higher AMD cards can drive it - if in doubt, Google.

5k is a mess - it can be made to work (with that one Dell monitor that costs as much as a 5k iMac) but sleep doesn't work and you have to do a power cycle trick and its hacky and don't buy it, please.

-

What's new in Hackintosh Land?

You can now install OS X natively. USB installer sticks that work on real Macs, generated with official tools will work on a hackintosh. When OS X Weed comes out later this year, you can just update your bootloader, download the OS off the Mac App Store and upgrade like normal.

That audio patch you have to after each update can be automated now - you'll never rollback AppleHDA again! Same for the TRIM patch for SSDs.

You can use Boot Camp Assistant now, if you want to partition a drive or be able to boot a Windows hard drive in VMWare/Parallels.

iMessage works, Startup Disk works, NVram values save correctly, you can boot into the Recovery Partition and restore from Time Machine, etc. Things are much more 'native' with the new, modern bootloader.

Modern bootloader? What?
Alright, so: boring technical stuff.

When Apple was getting ready to ship the first Intel Macs, they needed to whip something together to sell to software developers, so they can port their apps to X86. That thing was called the 'Intel Developer Transition Kit'. It cost $999 and ran a pre-release version of 10.4.X. It wasn't really a Mac, persay - it had a normal BIOS and a Intel Desktop Board motherboard inside. To get OS X running on that platform, Apple wrote a series of tools nicknamed Boot-132, named after the three stages of boot it entailed. The tool was used to load boot the OS - a bootloader, because these boards did not support EFI.

Apple would accidentally open source this tool with the release of the first 'Intel tarball dump' of Intel Mac source code. It is the basis of Chameleon/Chimera/older bootloaders. At the time of it's open source release, all that was needed to be done to use it right away was to add GUID support (it only supported MBR) and build. This is the basis of everything before the EFI-based bootloaders.

So, we've been using hacked up stuff from 2005 to boot OS X on our computers?
Yes, and it is as crazy as it sounds. Chameleon does have improvements, but they are minor. A fix here and there to get 10.8 to boot, one for 10.9 too. A broken NVRam implementation, added as soon as iMessage started requiring values to be set and not a moment before.

It has a list of modern GPUs included inside, to inject their names (so System Profiler looks all nice). But at it's core, it is just a thing Apple threw away in 2005. It doesn't have support for booting disk images, which is required by the 10.7-10.10 installers. That is why you have to use Unibeast to rip the installer to shreds (and lose out on the recovery partition) - Chameleon can't boot the real installer.

It doesn't support storing NVRam values in the way a real Mac does, so certain apps (mostly Parallels Desktop when trying to boot an OS X Guest) that actively try to prevent Hackintosh users from using them don't work.

It's just generally old and bad. Chameleon is a way around using Apple's boot.efi, whereas the new things just boot boot.efi. Boot-132 was never intended to be be used this long. It has support for the things that were true in 2005 but those things just are not the case anymore - it doesn't have support for booting disk images, for example, because Apple wasn't using those in 10.4.

So what are people using instead of Chameleon now? How does it work?
They are, in short, EFI based bootloaders. Real macs use this thing called EFI - a replacement for the old 'BIOS' structure. The EFI, combined with one key the SMC stores are what make a Mac a Mac. They are what is different from a generic PC. The small OS on Apple's EFI just serves to do a couple things:

Switch the startup disk.
Trigger Internet Recovery, if there is no OS on the hard drive or that OS install is broken.
Detect an encrypted FileVault 2 volume and offer to pass along the password, enabling booting.

There is more to it but in short, it uses an HFS driver (stored in the EFI) to load boot.efi on the hard drive the user is attempting to boot.

That's what the new bootloaders do. They include an HFS driver and a proper EFI implementation and just load boot.efi. It's a bit more complicated than that, they do lots of work behind the scenes but that is what it does as far as the user is concerned.

So instead of reimplementing everything boot.efi does, they do it right the first time.

I say they, but there is really just one: CloverEFI. In the past, a couple more esoteric bootloaders were maintained but Clover quickly won out and the other ones died. That's the history anyway. What matters to you is that more stuff just works using Clover than with Chameleon.

How do I make a hackintosh?
Check post 2!

I want a hack! What hardware should I buy?
Check TonyMac's recommended hardware list. I recommend current-gen Intel chips and as powerful as (Nvidia) graphics card as you need.

I want to use a Titan X in OS X! Does that work?
Yes, but with caveats. Newer Nvidia GPUs require a third party driver in order to work. The 'Nvidia WebDriver' is required for many cards, including but not limited to:

GTX 750Ti
GTX 780Ti
GTX 960
GTX 970
GTX 980
GTX 980 Ti
Titan Z
Titan X

Why does that matter? Install and done, right?
Not quite. The driver needs to be updated each time a major OS X update comes out. Anything that changes the version number of the OS, including security updates, breaks the WebDriver. The officially Nvidia supported solution is to wait a day or two after an OS update comes out and get the new driver they release, which is an annoyance but not the end of the world. The biggest problem is if you plan on running beta releases of the OS - Nvidia takes a long time to support a current beta. If you want to run 10.11 DP1, you don't want to use a card that requires the WebDriver

In post 2 I have a guide on how to remove the WebDriver OS version check, which will make it possible for you to take Security Updates without losing your driver. If in doubt, go for a card that doesn't require the WebDriver. Ask here or google!

I see these things called distros on torrent sites. Should I use one?
No! They are :filez:, and usually sloppily done hacks made by some 16 year old kid in Russia somewhere.

There's this thing called Multibeast and Unibeast and I want to use them and
Yeah, uh, don't. Those tools are for Chameleon installs. In the case of Multibeast, the kexts it installs vary between not working on a Clover install to being the wrong way to do things (working, but not the right tool for the job)

Unibeast is even worse, being solely for Chameleon. It takes a Yosemite install image and rips it apart and hacks it to shreds and installs Chameleon on the flash drive. For Clover, you can use DiskMaker X to put Yosemite's installer on a flash drive - a tool for a real Mac.

How do I make a hackintosh without a real Mac?
It can't be legally done. The legal situation is complicated by the fact that OS X doesn't cost money anymore - it's free on the Mac App Store. The tools you need to use require access to a running Mac, which means either borrowing/buying a real Mac or pirating a VMware image of OS X. I recommend the former. Please no piracy.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 8, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would add caveats to the tools TonyMac offers as I believe they are still based on Chameleon not Clover. The hardware list is great, but other than that I don't think they offer much for Clover users in the long run. I could very well be wrong, but that is the very distinct impression I get from there.

Add 780Ti to the list and talk a little about AMD GFX cards as to why/why not. People are going to ask about AMD and you pretty much covered AMD CPUs :lol:.

Other than that the history lesson is good and it answered a few questions I didn't know I had.

Once you post full page 2 instructions, I am going to test them out on a second computer that is running 10.9 on Chameleon by razing it to the bedrock to hopefully catch any weirdness or gaps in the instructions.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

I would add caveats to the tools TonyMac offers as I believe they are still based on Chameleon not Clover. The hardware list is great, but other than that I don't think they offer much for Clover users in the long run. I could very well be wrong, but that is the very distinct impression I get from there.

Add 780Ti to the list and talk a little about AMD GFX cards as to why/why not. People are going to ask about AMD and you pretty much covered AMD CPUs :lol:.

Other than that the history lesson is good and it answered a few questions I didn't know I had.

Once you post full page 2 instructions, I am going to test them out on a second computer that is running 10.9 on Chameleon by razing it to the bedrock to hopefully catch any weirdness or gaps in the instructions.

Agreed.

Will do.

Excellent!

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Thanks so much for the help here, enMTW! I've been really busy with life/school, and I haven't even been able to update my personal machine to Yosemite, much less this thread. I'll be taking your updated post and editing it a bit, should be in the OP of this thread sometime tonight if that's okay. I've finally got some free time in the last few days, and I've actually been working on updating the installation instructions as I work out getting my own Hackintosh updated, but more help is certainly welcome from you with that.

It'd be really great if you could take the BBCode for that and put it up on pastie or something, so that I can use it without having to redo all the formatting.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Sinestro posted:

Thanks so much for the help here, enMTW! I've been really busy with life/school, and I haven't even been able to update my personal machine to Yosemite, much less this thread. I'll be taking your updated post and editing it a bit, should be in the OP of this thread sometime tonight if that's okay. I've finally got some free time in the last few days, and I've actually been working on updating the installation instructions as I work out getting my own Hackintosh updated, but more help is certainly welcome from you with that.

Don't take it yet! I'm still editing it.

To be honest, I don't know if I really want you to replace the OP with it. The problem is that I wouldn't be able to continue editing the post (it would be locked in stone, short of me posting a new version in reply) after. It's complicated; I don't have a problem with the OP not being me, but I want to be able to edit the OP on demand if it's going to be using my version. :|. I plan to add more sections as I go along (e.g. how to force load a specific AMD frame-buffer, if the correct one is not being loaded) and having to dump stuff like that in reply kind of blows.

That said, here is a pastie: http://pastie.org/private/mefdzwgbwyrcuoddnk1g

Are you using Clover? Clover is nice.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 8, 2015

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I wasn't talking about using yours wholesale, but definitely taking inspiration from it in the sections about the whole post-Chameleon world, because I know fairly little about it. And, when/if I do use stuff that's partly yours, you can PM me or email me at SA<My user name>@gmail.com if you've got a change you want me to make.

Edit: I put a note at the top of the OP about a pending revamp.

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 8, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Sinestro posted:

I wasn't talking about using yours wholesale, but definitely taking inspiration from it in the sections about the whole post-Chameleon world, because I know roughly gently caress-all about it. And, when/if I do use stuff that's partly yours, you can PM me or email me at SA<My user name>@gmail.com if you've got a change you want me to make.

Alright. I'm still thinking about what I want to do here. Still writing Section 2/editing Section 1. I'll post drafts of those sections when they are done.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Could I get a copy of your 'glossary of terms'? Pastie, for the BBcode and whatnot.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So in order to get 4K working with my 760 I had to install the web driver. I'm only able to get a 30hz refresh rate despite the monitor supporting 60.

Is the 760 just not powerful enough to push 60hz?

In any case it looks awesome in retina scaled mode so w/e, I'm not really feeling like dropping $300 on a new GPU.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

kitten smoothie posted:

So in order to get 4K working with my 760 I had to install the web driver. I'm only able to get a 30hz refresh rate despite the monitor supporting 60.

Is the 760 just not powerful enough to push 60hz?

In any case it looks awesome in retina scaled mode so w/e, I'm not really feeling like dropping $300 on a new GPU.

Which monitor are we talking about? OS X only supports SST universally - a couple Mac models support MST but only those models. It also does not support HDMI 2.0, Display Port only.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 8, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Here's a draft of Section 2, pending the glossary, a section or two and editing. Please give feedback!

quote:

Experto Crede posted:

:siren:Glossary of terms:siren:

Bootloader: A bootloader is the first bridge between your PC and OS X. Any who has ever used GRUB will feel at home. Can be used to apply boot parameters to enable graphics support for certain cards, boot in safe mode, etc. The two most popular are Chameleon and Chimera (a fork of Chameleon).

boot.plist: The config file for your bootloader. Lets you add extra parameters permanently to enable graphics, prevent kernel panics, etc.

DSDT: Stands for Differentiated System Description Table. Without going into too much information, it contains the info which allows your operating system to communicate with your hardware. Due to an incomplete ACPI implementation in OS X, you may need to edit your DSDT for your motherboard to enable certain hardware support.

GraphicsEnabler: A boot option in Chameleon/Chimera which enables a large selection of graphics cards to work fully without the need for modifying kexts, etc.

iAtkos/iDeneb/etc.: These are customised distributions, essentially copies of OS X which come prepackaged with drivers and tools to make installation easier. Whether you should use them comes down to your circumstances which will be discussed further down. It should be noted that these count as :filez: so don’t discuss where you can find them.

Kernel Panic: A pain in the arse. Like a Windows Blue Screen of Death, but can provide more information (e.g. which kext is causing the panic). The most common cause of these on a Hackintosh is a poorly configured piece of hardware.

Kexts: A file with a .kext extension which is essentially like a driver. Can be modified to add additional support by adding customised device/vendor IDs. You will often find various kexts for devices online.

QE/CI: Quartz Extreme/Core Image. The underlying hardware acceleration system for graphics in OS X. Will only work on a compatible/properly set up graphics card.

Verbose boot: Instead of booting with the standard gray Apple logo, verbose boot shows all the background processes that are running as the system boots. This will be your best friend when setting up your system.

-

I want to install! How do I do it?

Alright! Here's what you need:

An actual Mac.

Two USB flash drives. One 8gb or bigger (for the OS X installer) and one of virtually any size (for Clover itself)

The Yosemite Installer (get it off the Mac App Store - it's free)

DiskMaker X (Also free)

--

Let's get started. Plug in your Clover USB flash drive. Copy anything you need off it, then go into Disk Utility and format it as FAT, like so: http://i.imgur.com/lnYHSUU.png

Download Clover. Here's the latest version, as of 6/7/15: https://mega.nz/#!OVQFmAaL!_CKTdlW6vGb9JFIbIBQVL1kL6ALttKzTaL_xKy7kxus

Launch the installer. Be careful with this thing, you don't want to install it on the Mac's drive. Hit change Install Location and choose the flash drive. Hit Customize.

Under Bootloader, check 'Don't update MBR and PBR sectors'.
In CloverEFI, select CloverEFI 64-bits SATA.
Under Themes, select black_green (trust me).
Make sure Drivers64 is unchecked.
Check all options under Drivers64UEFI. Leave all other options in the installer unchecked.

Now hit install.

Next step: throwing essential kext(s) in. You need a copy of FakeSMC to boot. Here one is: https://mega.nz/#!eM41ACwA!f3LsT1m18fQ6LhZHGE2SBIBJsjLvx_PpyYN9Qx8R-2k

Go to your Clover flash drive in Finder. Go to /EFI/Clover/Kexts inside. You should see folders named through 10.6 to Other. Throw an (unzipped!) copy of FakeSMC in each one of them. Make a folder called 10.11 and throw FakeSMC in just for good measure - you'll be needing it soon I suspect.

Next up, Clover Configurator. Download it from here: http://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download/ - get the classic version so you can follow along with my screenshots.

Launch it. In Finder, open your flash drive and go to /EFI/Clover. Drag config.plist to the Clover Configurator icon in your dock.

This tool is used to build a proper 'config.plist', which is a file that tells Clover what to do in order to get OS X booting on your machine.

Step 1: turn off all 'Fixes', then hit the 'New way' button and uncheck those too. You should only have 'Halt Enabler, Generate PStates, Generate CStates' turned on, and the stuff you see in Drop Tables. Here's a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/alilfUm.png

Go to boot. Make sure kext-dev-mode=1 is on. If you need the Web Driver, you will turn it on for here, but for now (and only if you need the Web Driver) we are going to completely disable the Nvidia driver - cards that need the web driver hang at black screens until you install the Nvidia driver. This fixes it - check the box that says 'nv_disable=1'. Again: don't check that unless your card requires the Web Driver.

Go to CPU. Everything should be blank.

Go to Devices. Inject, Add ClockID, FixOwnership, Reset HDA should all be on by default. I recommend only one change: HighCurrent. That setting enables iPad charging!

Skip over Disable Driver. In GUI, enter 'black_green' for the theme name. It should be set to 'embedded' right now. Skip over Graphics/Kernel and Kext Patches/RT Variables, for now. Go to SMBios.

In SMBios, click the wand icon. Click the trash can, select Mac Pro 3,1 from the drop down, click both 'shake' icons, hit ok. Almost done here.

Under System Parameters, change 'Inject Kexts' from 'Detect' to 'Yes'. Hit File - Save.

---

Right now you have a very respectable Clover config.plist. Next up, making an OS X Install USB drive.

Eject the Clover USB, insert the 8gb or higher stick. In Disk Utility, select the drive itself (as opposed to the volume name) so that 'Partition' shows up. Select '1 Partition', select 'Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and hit options. Make sure it is set as GUID Partition table. Once done, enter a name (important. don't name it 'Untitled - you don't want to put the Yosemite installer on the wrong drive by mistake) and hit apply - this will format the drive.

Launch Disk Maker X and let it do its thing. Point it at the Yosemite installer, point it at your USB drive and wait.

--

Once done, eject the drive. Go to your PC now. Make sure the BIOS is configured correctly for OS X - the user instructions on TonyMacs fourm (google your motherboard's model number + TonyMac) will be useful here. Insert both flash drives, reboot, go into the boot menu. Drives will be listed twice - you want to select the UEFI version of your Clover flash drive. Clover will come up.

Use the arrow keys to scroll around, select the 'Install Mac OS X' drive and hit space. Scroll down, select 'Verbose', hit enter. The installer should boot now. From here on out this is a normal
OS X Install (until we hit the desktop, anyway). Format the drive you want to install to in Disk Utility and install.

I'm done installing! What do I do next?

Well, it depends. If you need a network driver you should figure out what driver people install using Multibeast and install it. If it's a 'KIller Nic' (which are terrible in Windows but have an oddly great OS X driver) this is your kext: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/313-atherose2200ethernet/. The threads about your specific motherboard should have screenshots of what kexts people install. If you need help, reply to the thread and someone (probably me) will help you.

If your GPU requires the WebDriver, now is as good a time as any to install it: ]http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/85588/en-us. Once installed, load Clover Configurator and uncheck 'nv_disable=1' and check 'nvda_drv=1'.

Now, you can install kexts the old way, writing them to /System/Library/Extentions. You don't have to do that though, you can put them in the Clover /kexts/ folder and they will load like that. Keeps things nice and seperate. Your call.

Next up: Installing Clover to the Mac drive. Unmount the Clover flash drive. You'll need it later, but you don't want it connected for this. Download the latest version of Clover (linked earlier in this post) and run it. Your settings are the same as last time, with two exceptions: hit 'Install for UEFI booting only' and 'Install Clover in the ESP'. Install it and mount the flash drive again. Copy the config.plist and the entire kexts folder to the new Clover install. Unmount the flash drive. Keep it in a safe space - it's handy to have a known good copy of your bootloader somewhere.

Reboot, see if you can boot. Select your Mac drive in the boot menu using the UEFI entry for it.

HELP I DON'T HAVE ON BOARD AUDIO
First, make sure your on-board audio is supported at all. Google for your motherboard. If people are doing 'AppleHDA' patches in Multibeast you are golden. If not, get a $10 USB soundcard.

In the OS, grab Clover Configurator again. We need to mount the EFI partition again. Do to this, hit 'Mount EFI' in Clover Configurator. Hit 'Check Partition'. What you are looking for is the name of your Mac volume. Once you find it, take mental note of the /dev/diskX value above it. Hit 'Mount EFI partition', selecting the right drive.

Next up, download this: https://mega.nz/#!aJokVYJI!-6d42BaG9jSoh7CLEd8kK_BwUg9x4sLjgjmNmsRTfcw and unzip it. Throw it in your Clover /kext/ folder. Reboot.

In Finder, make a new folder. Launch Terminal.Type 'cd' and drag the folder into the Terminal window. Hit enter. Copy and paste this into the terminal window:

code:
git clone [url]https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC.git[/url]
Once it's done, open Finder again. Go into the newly created folder. You're looking for a .sh file - 'audio_cloverALC-100.sh'. Once you find it, drag it into terminal and hit enter.

You'll get prompted for your password, enter it. It'll ask you to make sure your EFI partition is mounted, make sure you see it on your desktop. If HDAEnabler1.kext is loaded correctly, you should see something like "Confirm Realtek ALC1150 (y/n)". If you see that, you are golden. Hit Y and step through the process. Once done, don't reboot yet. We can patch TRIM while we're here.

Hey, does there happen to be a way to get Clover to automatically make that TRIM patch that everyone uses

Sure is. In Clover Configurator, mount the EFI partition (if you don't already have it mounted) and go to 'Kernel and Kext Patches'. Here is your patch. Hit the plus button and enter:

Under name, enter 'IOAHCIBlockStorage'. Under 'Find* [HEX] enter '004150504C452053534400'. Under 'Replace* [HEX] enter 0000000000000000000000. Under comment, enter 'Trim Enabler'. Should look like this once you're done. http://i.imgur.com/KwFZuCH.png

If you've been following along, once you reboot you will have working audio and trim now. Reboot and they'll both come to life.

What's next?
I don't know, you tell me! I got a thing on how to modify the Nvidia Driver to disable its OS version checking 0 so it doesn't break after every update - down below, but if you don't use the WebDriver you are probably all set. Things should be working now. If not, post and let us know.

How do I remove the WebDriver version enforcement?
Relatively simple, really. You're going to need a Plist editor for this step - if you have Xcode installed, you already have one. If not, get Plistedit Pro.

Go into /System/Library/Extensions. Copy 'NVDAStartup.kext' to your desktop. Right click it, select 'Show Package Contents'. Go into Contents and open Info.plist.

Here's the thing you want to modify: http://i.imgur.com/tyHe7Fr.png. For you, it should be currently be an exact version number. What you want to do is change it to be '14' instead. Save the kext and exit.

Now just reinstall the kext whatever way you normally install kexts. If you don't have a way, use https://www.cindori.org/software/kextdrop/

I want to learn more about Clover! Where do I start?

Get a good Plist editor and read this: http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration. Soon, you too will be making your config.plists by hand.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 8, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Sinestro posted:

I wasn't talking about using yours wholesale, but definitely taking inspiration from it in the sections about the whole post-Chameleon world, because I know fairly little about it. And, when/if I do use stuff that's partly yours, you can PM me or email me at SA<My user name>@gmail.com if you've got a change you want me to make.

Edit: I put a note at the top of the OP about a pending revamp.

I'm nearing completion. Let me know what you think so far.

So as far as the editing problem goes...

This thread is getting old and crusty. We're going to need a new thread, but I don't want to rob you of your thread. What I propose is this: you make the thread and the first post, I reply as second post with a 'blessed' (you like it) version of my Section 2 - enabling me to, you know, edit it and such.

Thoughts? Does that work for you?

As far as the OP goes, I think I'm going to add a section about 4k displays to it, since everyone asks about those.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 8, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

enMTW posted:

Which monitor are we talking about? OS X only supports SST universally - a couple Mac models support MST but only those models. It also does not support HDMI 2.0, Display Port only.

Nevermind, I'm dumb. I'm in business now.

It's this Acer monitor. http://www.amazon.com/Acer-B286HK-ymjdpprz-Widescreen-ErgoStand/dp/B00MN2OKKO

Turns out, out of the box the monitor is configured to talk v1.1 of the DisplayPort protocol, not 1.2, and I only found that out after perusing the Amazon comments after finding the link to the monitor.

I flipped it over to DP 1.2, rebooted, and it's working at 60Hz now. Once I did that, the displays control panel gives me the retina scaling options, too. Previously in order to get @2x scaled resolution I had to use SwitchResX since I didn't have the scaling options in the control panel.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 8, 2015

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

That sounds very good and equitable to me.

Hackintosh Thread 2015 nears. :boom:

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Sinestro posted:

That sounds very good and equitable to me.

Hackintosh Thread 2015 nears. :boom:

Anything you think needs changing? I think it's done.

kitten smoothie posted:

Nevermind, I'm dumb. I'm in business now.

It's this Acer monitor. http://www.amazon.com/Acer-B286HK-ymjdpprz-Widescreen-ErgoStand/dp/B00MN2OKKO

Turns out, out of the box the monitor is configured to talk v1.1 of the DisplayPort protocol, not 1.2, and I only found that out after perusing the Amazon comments after finding the link to the monitor.

I flipped it over to DP 1.2, rebooted, and it's working at 60Hz now. Once I did that, the displays control panel gives me the retina scaling options, too. Previously in order to get @2x scaled resolution I had to use SwitchResX since I didn't have the scaling options in the control panel.

Yay! There you go.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Experto Crede posted:

:siren:Glossary of terms:siren:

Bootloader: A bootloader is the first bridge between your PC and OS X. Any who has ever used GRUB will feel at home. Can be used to apply boot parameters to enable graphics support for certain cards, boot in safe mode, etc. The two most popular are Chameleon and Chimera (a fork of Chameleon).

boot.plist: The config file for your bootloader. Lets you add extra parameters permanently to enable graphics, prevent kernel panics, etc.

DSDT: Stands for Differentiated System Description Table. Without going into too much information, it contains the info which allows your operating system to communicate with your hardware. Due to an incomplete ACPI implementation in OS X, you may need to edit your DSDT for your motherboard to enable certain hardware support.

GraphicsEnabler: A boot option in Chameleon/Chimera which enables a large selection of graphics cards to work fully without the need for modifying kexts, etc.

iAtkos/iDeneb/etc.: These are customised distributions, essentially copies of OS X which come prepackaged with drivers and tools to make installation easier. Whether you should use them comes down to your circumstances which will be discussed further down. It should be noted that these count as :filez: so don’t discuss where you can find them.

Kernel Panic: A pain in the arse. Like a Windows Blue Screen of Death, but can provide more information (e.g. which kext is causing the panic). The most common cause of these on a Hackintosh is a poorly configured piece of hardware.

Kexts: A file with a .kext extension which is essentially like a driver. Can be modified to add additional support by adding customised device/vendor IDs. You will often find various kexts for devices online.

QE/CI: Quartz Extreme/Core Image. The underlying hardware acceleration system for graphics in OS X. Will only work on a compatible/properly set up graphics card.

Verbose boot: Instead of booting with the standard gray Apple logo, verbose boot shows all the background processes that are running as the system boots. This will be your best friend when setting up your system.

There's the glossary, and it looks quite good. As soon as my internet connection is back and I'm not on my phone, I'll make the new thread.

Edit: http://pastie.org/private/d9wszbvpeooanmavzcag

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 8, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Sinestro posted:

There's the glossary, and it looks quite good. As soon as my internet connection is back and I'm not on my phone, I'll make the new thread.

Alright. Give me a heads up so I can get the second post. Could I get the Glossary on Pastie?

Edit: thanks

enMTW fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 8, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Here's the final version of my OP: http://pastie.org/private/pr4mcusvsdz7rc7bazq

enMTW fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 9, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You will probably want to expand the Glossary with new terms especially now we are moving to Clover which only shares some of the terms. Like Web driver, HDAenabler1.kext, EFI partion, what some of the commands are, terminal, diskutil list, kextstat, system information. More terms explained the better as it allows the user to know why they are doing something so the process itself isn't black boxed.

Tomorrow I will run your instructions without deviation or as little tech support on the other computer as possible.

As for the order of install, make sure it is network, Combo=>GFX(if needed)=>Audio=>HDMI audio. If you install the HDMI audio before Audio is up and running you risk getting into a GFX reboot loop which requires nv_disable=1 and require uninstalling of HDMI audio. => is a reboot. How ever HDMI audio might fit better under section 3 extra stuff you can do.

Another thing to throw into an extra / troubleshoot section. If your CD/DVD/BD drive is cycling, go to system preferences/energy saver Untick "Put hard disks to sleep".

For clarity you might want to list all the files to download in one place since you will end up using them all.

This is incorrect as it has url tags and the step appears to be missing xcode. Also to get xcode/app store you need to set en0 which require deleting those two files.
code:
Also for inserting/removing Kexts you might want to recommend a tool to do it with since it will check permissions and rebuild the kext cache so make sure when you reboot you don't get stuck mid way since without a mismatch cache is gets seriously slow/buggy/not work. I am currently using Kext Wizard, but I am sure you have one better.

You also haven't said anything about AMD GFX cards.

I would suggest we make a extra/trouble shooting section with common road blocks and bonus steps before we crank out a new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

You will probably want to expand the Glossary with new terms especially now we are moving to Clover which only shares some of the terms. Like Web driver, HDAenabler1.kext, EFI partion, what some of the commands are, terminal, diskutil list, kextstat, system information. More terms explained the better as it allows the user to know why they are doing something so the process itself isn't black boxed.

Tomorrow I will run your instructions without deviation or as little tech support on the other computer as possible.

As for the order of install, make sure it is network, Combo=>GFX(if needed)=>Audio=>HDMI audio. If you install the HDMI audio before Audio is up and running you risk getting into a GFX reboot loop which requires nv_disable=1 and require uninstalling of HDMI audio. => is a reboot. How ever HDMI audio might fit better under section 3 extra stuff you can do.

Another thing to throw into an extra / troubleshoot section. If your CD/DVD/BD drive is cycling, go to system preferences/energy saver Untick "Put hard disks to sleep".

For clarity you might want to list all the files to download in one place since you will end up using them all.

This is incorrect as it has url tags and the step appears to be missing xcode. Also to get xcode/app store you need to set en0 which require deleting those two files.
code:
Also for inserting/removing Kexts you might want to recommend a tool to do it with since it will check permissions and rebuild the kext cache so make sure when you reboot you don't get stuck mid way since without a mismatch cache is gets seriously slow/buggy/not work. I am currently using Kext Wizard, but I am sure you have one better.

You also haven't said anything about AMD GFX cards.

I would suggest we make a extra/trouble shooting section with common road blocks and bonus steps before we crank out a new thread.

Yeah, I agree. There is still work to do. The AMD GPU thing was a slip up - I already wrote it, but I forgot to put it in the post.

I'm going to throw the new commands in too, but I was able to remove diskutil from the process flow. Kextstat and other 'debugging' terms coming right up.

I left Xcode out because it turns out it's not actually needed for audio_CloverEFI. I didn't cover HDMI audio yet, will do that in a Section 2 update either tonight (if the new thread doesn't get made tonight) or tomorrow.

I'll fix all that stuff now. :)

I plan to do 'troubleshooting' as a third post, after the second one. The en0 is a troubleshooting thing - if things work correctly, you'll get en0 right away without deleting things.

I have no objection to waiting until everything is done before posting a new thread. I think we have a pretty good post 1 (added AMD gpus) and post 2 needs some editing but it's mostly ready to go - I didn't post links to things at the start as the guide goes from a genuine Mac to a hack and different tools are needed on each. I can, if you think I should.

Section 3 needs to be written, but it won't take very long I don't think.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 8, 2015

• Locked thread