Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

kitten smoothie posted:

What's the story these days on Handoff/Continuity-compatible wifi/bt cards? The Intel mini-pci card that came with my Gigabyte motherboard was never compatible with OSX in the first place and its very existence was giving me issues. I pulled it in favor of just using hardwired network and a USB BT dongle.

The problem I'm seeing though is there's the interference issue between USB3 and Bluetooth, so every now and then my trackpad goes all choppy. Would be nice to get a real card to avoid these problems.

The way to get Handoff is to buy an actual Apple Handoff-compatible wifi/BT card and put it in your machine. Except you can't just put it in - Apple has a port in real Macs that delivers both USB and PCI-E to their cards. So you need an adapter of some sort to put it in a normal desktop PCI-E port.

There are lots of adapters you can get for these cards. You can even get the whole package; card and adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Desktop-Bluet...ords=BCM94360CD)

That's not what I recommend though. I recommend instead importing an alternate adapter from China: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.0.0.M8souu&id=38195333521

That adapter does use an Apple card inside (for native Handoff) but that's where the similarities with the stuff on Amazon/eBay/etc end: the physical construction of the Taobao card is far superior, it can operate in any PCI-E slot (not just 1x slots), it works with all OS X compatible motherboards (the other adapters don't, oddly).

It even has a nicer USB header situation - straight USB Type B to USB header cable instead of header to header (the other card I linked has that, it is easy to pull the cable out by mistake).

In other words, it's better. It's cheap too - $51 shipped to USA through YouBuy (http://www.yoybuy.com/). Unlike the one I linked on Amazon, the card here is capable of 802.11ac and not just 802.11n - Bonus! Downside being that you have to wait for it to arrive. The Amazon one is Prime Eligible. Pick your poison, I guess.

Whichever adapter you choose, setup is simple so long as it has a genuine Apple Handoff-capable card pre-installed - lots of more shady vendors are inserting non-Apple variants of the BCM94360CD, which don't have the right Vendor ID. Wrong vendor ID equals no Handoff.

Setup: Set your SMBios to either Mac Pro 3,1 or any Mac model that officially supports Handoff, power off, insert card, attach USB cable to USB header and done.

You get all the fun stuff you get with a real Apple card in addition to Handoff - Location Services (so Maps can find where you are), Bluetooth working in the BIOS/boot menu (few, if any third party Bluetooth cards have that working with Apple keyboards), proper Bluetooth in general (WiiMote pairing/Audio/not loving dropping out all the time/etc). Two thumbs up.

One last thing: Windows will not install drivers for this card through Windows Update - it doesn't have any. To get the drivers, install Apple's Boot Camp Drivers for Windows. If you use Windows, that'll save you some pain.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Yet another (and probably final) 10.10.4 seed is out. Reinstall the 10.10.4 beta WebDriver and it works fine. Nothing note worthy to report yet. TrimForce is still not in.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

enMTW posted:

Are you using HDMI to attach the monitors? Nvidia does weird poo poo with HDMI - stick to either Display Port to another DP jack (mini or otherwise) or DVI to DVI. It's a problem in Windows too.
No clue. Hopefully injecting EDID fixes it.
Still no luck, injecting EDID did nothing - as usual the dinky Diamond Digital happy worked and displayed on all ports (VGA, DVI and HDMI to DVI) while the Dell refused to accept there was a signal.
Both boxes are having the same issues one graphics card is an 680 GTX the other a 640. I'm doing a crazy ivan and upgrading from 10.8.5 to see if what works still remains.

The only time I ever got anything to slightly work was to rip out all of the Nvidia kexts from the systems folder, which only ID'd the monitor as a generic 1024 display and put the system into a hard lock when I tried to use the display panel.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

WebDog posted:

Still no luck, injecting EDID did nothing - as usual the dinky Diamond Digital happy worked and displayed on all ports (VGA, DVI and HDMI to DVI) while the Dell refused to accept there was a signal.
Both boxes are having the same issues one graphics card is an 680 GTX the other a 640. I'm doing a crazy ivan and upgrading from 10.8.5 to see if what works still remains.

The only time I ever got anything to slightly work was to rip out all of the Nvidia kexts from the systems folder, which only ID'd the monitor as a generic 1024 display and put the system into a hard lock when I tried to use the display panel.

I don't have any ideas or tips, sorry. :(

Sounds like a problem that haunts you in Windows too, indicating that a call to Dell may be in order. :sigh:

enMTW fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 16, 2015

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Would they even still support a monitor from 2006?
Windows wise it's not THAT bad as the Dell driver still works fine, just that it's detected as a Generic non PnP monitor and you have to force install it. The U2711 is fine on there as well.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

WebDog posted:

Would they even still support a monitor from 2006?
Windows wise it's not THAT bad as the Dell driver still works fine, just that it's detected as a Generic non PnP monitor and you have to force install it. The U2711 is fine on there as well.

They don't drop support for monitors. I'll try to see if I can figure out what's wrong, would be hard without owning the monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Love that new thread smell.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727337

• Locked thread