Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Adding my mobo's DSDT with Multibeast broke my dual-monitor setup, which sucks. Instead of troubleshooting I'm just going to reinstall, so you needn't worry about it.

Will Gigabyte ever start making mobos with Hackintosh specifically in mind, and dropping ever-so-subtly-coded hints in marketing materials letting consumers know? Would Apple conscript a paramilitary force from their stores and Genius Bars, and invade Taiwan in response? Or will they just do targeted drone strikes on CEO's instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Sinestro posted:

Buy a MacBook. Even with the best hackintosh laptops, you are only looking at 2h of battery life.

Holy poo poo. Congratulating myself on giving up on dual-booting my x230. Also none of my hardware would have worked and sometimes not the keyboard. On the other hand, OSX instead of metroface. Mac laptops are the best reason to run OSX and he should get a MacBook for sure. What I would do to an 11" MBA if I were a USB drive.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

Does anyone here have sleep and wake working properly as a reliable matter on Mountain Lion? If you do, what's your motherboard/graphics card? Do you use any darkwake flag in your chameleon config? What's your 'pmset -g | grep hibernatemode'?

I use my 10.8.2 ML desktop as my alarm clock, so it's pretty reliable coming and going from sleep. I use an Asus P8P67 (no integrated gfx), Sapphire 6870, no boot flags (GraphicsEnabler and ATIConfig=duckweed are automatic), and SleepEnabler. The rest I don't know because I barely know how to install a kext myself. Everything in iATKOS just worked oob, whereas pretty much nothing worked with Unibeast/Multibeast. If you want I can look up those settings, but you'll have to tell me how.

pmset -g | grep hibernatemode
hibernatemode 3

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 7, 2013

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

SRQ posted:

AFAIK the answer is no, not with drivers anyway.
There's plenty of hotkey programs out there that can probably do what you want with the extra keys however.
I wonder if manually installing the bootcamp drivers would work at all though, could really use the OSX file system browser.

I use AppleWirelessKeyboard (.exe)
It works perfectly and also does a great on-screen osx-style overlay.
http://uxsoft.cz/projects/applewirelesskeyboard/

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

SRQ posted:

Is there a trick to get hard disks faster in hackingtosh? I might just be seeing things but I swear they're all operating way slower then they should be.
Like, file transfers seem hella slower between drives then windows, it's all AHCI SATA so I don't see what the deal is.
Actually on second look I think it's the just the size of the file, 50 gigs is no joke. Looks like I'm getting 70-90 mb/s.

E: Heh, my PC shows up as an "iMac Summer 2001" with an image of a Mac Pro beside it.
heh

Man I'd kill for 80 mbps. I have my whole life on a 1TB USB 2.0 drive with like six partitions and get to live at 15-30mbps. You say agar just get a 1tb internal, they're dirt-rear end cheap. But I couldn't shut my system down for the day and a half it would take to move everything.

About TRIM, when the system says TRIM is enabled, does that mean conclusively that TRIM is running?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Are they just picking release names based on what will make for the most badass default background screens now.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

Man, I think I'm about to give up. I'm using NVidia graphics, and an Asus P8Z77 PRO with a custom flashed firmware from that one site and a DSDT made by some kind soul on Tomymac's board who set it up to work with HDMI audio out. I can always go to sleep just fine, but no matter what I set darkwake (or Darkwake, never know if it should be capitalized or not) and other settings, I simply can not wake up with video on many occasions.

This happened with an older NVidia card, too, so I don't blame the graphics card. It's either motherboard settings or some arcane Multibeast thing. :(

If it makes you feel better (and I know it will). My auto-sleep stopped working for like, no reason, and there's obviously nothing I can do about it because I barely know how to edit a dsdt even if I knew what values to change. Sleep on demand still works which is nice. Have you tried both using, and not using SleepEnabler? Have you tried disabling onboard graphics? Have you tried some other power management scheme? GraphicsEnabler=No/GraphicsEnabler=Yes? No DSDT? Breaking sleep was the first thing my DSDT.aml did.

Here's a funny thing: my ATI 6870 only works on dual screen output if the main screen is connected to the card by two cables, DVI and HDMI. God only knows how I discovered this, but it goes to show that not all of this stuff necessarily makes sense. I solve computer problems by one and only one way: nearly-blind trial and error.
Also, during install the only way I could ditch white screen was by hitting power button to sleep and waking. You may also try a distro like iATKOS, which I found way more agreeable than any of the App store installer methods.

SRQ posted:

Sometimes sleep just isn't going to work, it's a fact of life.

Desktops should be left on, run a file server or something to feel less bad about the waste.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Mine too takes about ten to start up, ten to shut down. When I -v it, it mumbles a lot of poo poo about dirty killability, so I just don't ask. I'd say my numbers are pretty much the same on my Windows 8 laptop.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
How did Windows 8 system image restore change my partition table from GPT to MBR without wrecking my 10.8.4 partition? I just made a Chameleon partition on my USB external drive and boot from there with hardly a hiccup.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Quine Connoisseur posted:

Does Disk Utility say that the partition scheme was changed to MBR? It's possible that it just overwrote Chameleon and that's easy enough to fix.

Yeah Disk Utility is indicating a Master Boot Record partition scheme. I tried reinstalling Chameleon already. It just occurred to me that all I have to do is change my boot order and it will really make no difference what drive the bootloader resides on (right?).

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Sinestro posted:

Buy a MacBook. Even with the best hackintosh laptops, you are only looking at 2h of battery life.

Hey! I must now disagree.
I've been running 10.8.4 alongside Win7 on my Thinkpad x230 for a few days now general use and can call it stable. Last night I ran it down from 100% to 5% in a goodly mix of browsing, video, audio, and even iPod charging, and I came up with 5:01 hours at 50% backlight. Compare to exactly 6:00 hours for Windows with its full suite of CPU, USB, and PCI power management, and laptop OSX looks pretty damned good with a few DSDT patches, Voodoobattery and a patched Apple power management kext.

Used this guide if anyone needs it. It's the first x230 OSX guide, from what I can tell.
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=111039

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Demie posted:

I don't know if anyone has gotten a touchscreen to work in OSX. I think that would be the main obstacle.

The Thinkpads forum got the x230t going alright.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I'm evacuating my mom's failing Macbook hard drive, so I popped it into my x86 desktop to see if I could get FakeSMC.kext into it somehow and not have to use her laptop to get the good stuff out of it. And while I was searching for a way, my computer waked and the myHack flash drive booted it to desktop with no flags. How in the hell? Did the bootloader queue up FakeSMC somehow without it even residing in S/L/Extensions?
The list of things I don't understand about OSX-on-x86 just gets longer.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I'm so not into touch. I like small screens and can't afford to be blocking a quarter of it with my badger paws.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

That Genuine Stank posted:

I have a hard drive that already has Mavericks installed on it. I know that I can take a hard drive out of one mac and put it into another mac with little trouble, would it be possible to do this with a hackintosh or would there be too much back tracking?

In case it's important, my build is going to be
  • i7 4770 3.4GHz
  • Gigabyte z87-d3hp
  • EVGA GeForce 650 2gb

that's all the important stuff right?

I've popped HDDs out of a 2008 Macbook and into an i5 Sandy Bridge hack, and out of the Sandy Bridge into an Ivy i5 Thinkpad. All with no changes to the kext folders or new boot flags whatsoever, always taking me straight to a workable desktop. Hackintosh has clearly come a long way. But still going to say ymmv.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

P.N.T.M. posted:

Please explain this. How does this work out?

Edit: Found a thread on the TM forums for my model. Seems to be a bit buggy, but holy crap this would be pretty hilarious to pull off.

Sorry for non-response, not a super-active thread and you seemed satisfied. OSX can be run on Sandy/Ivy Thinkpads, if that was your query. With a bunch of what I can only call "loving around", it can become a daily OS. Though I always dual-boot, just in case I'm on the road and it shits the bed. My Mountain Lion x230 is one of my favorite computers ever. Mavericks just did not loving work, but it's no one's fault. Got to find a thread by a skilled DSDT editor who owns your computer.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

flyingbuttbiter posted:

I never boot into Windows anymore. I just work on my mac/hackinosh. Sucks, I want to play games.
My wallet is fat, but the fun computer is gone. Maybe it's a getting old thing, maybe I'm greedy.

It is important to have fun.

I really like having the work/life computer separate from the gaming computer. If I want to play games that session, I F8 into the Windows drive. No accidental two-hour Starcraft sessions when I'm supposed to be managing my life and keeping in touch.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

revmoo posted:

I got Mavericks on my PC yesterday and it's running like a champ. I already have everything working and TRIM enabled. Anything I might have missed? I thought I read something about changing the color profile but it appears to have grabbed one from my display already?

Remember to take a disk image as soon as you're happy with it. I think lots of us use Super Duper. Never failed to do a hassle-free restore.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Upgraded my ThinkPad from 10.8.4 to 10.9, clean. Everything's working but iMessage. iMessage is being weird as hell because it works on ethernet but not over wifi. No other wifi problems. iCloud and App Store work on both wifi and ethernet. On attempted login it returns the message Could Not Sign Into iMessage, Please Check Your Network Connection. I've tried (-)ing the Ethernet device and deleting the network connections plist.

Annnnny ideas? poo poo.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

kode54 posted:

If you are using Chameleon or Chimera, you need to acquire and install the latest version of FileNVRAM in the Extra/modules directory on your boot partition.

I've definitely got that in my Exras, but I didn't know it needed to be current. I always use the latest Chameleon.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

nescience posted:

what's the most stable version of OS X that can be used for hackintosh laptops? I installed Mavericks to an ASUS Laptop that came with Win8, and I'm having trouble getting devices to work. I'm curious if I would have more success with previous version of OS X.

You might, and you might not. Mavericks has an advantage in that it is free. I've had fewer but different problems with it than I had with ML. Honestly if you've got a hard drive, go ahead and run both and see which one gives you less poo poo.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

kode54 posted:

You already have it? Weird. Maybe it was some specific version? Let me see...

The relevant bits are here, which looks like they've ripped off some graphics from the much hated tonymac, but it seems the relevant add might be removing ACPICodec.dylib from the Modules directory. I'm not sure.

K so here's what I did that fixed it straight away. First I replaced my FileNVram.dylib with the latest one I could find off osx86.net. Then I removed all of Messages.app's config and history files to tidy up. I deleted ethernet from networking, and also deleted networking's I added EthernetBuiltIn=yes to my boot plist, and also added it's long-form device tag to boot plist. One or two reboots in there, I can't remember, then success.

These are the directions from http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html
and http://www.osx86.net/topic/19442-guide-get-icloud-app-store-and-imessage-working/

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I use an external BT adapter for when I plug my dual-booting laptop into my desk dock. The internal BT does the bt keyboard in Windows, and the IOgear does bt in OSX. The internal BT has no Mac kext, and the external BT has no Windows driver, so they don't get confused. If you use both an external and internal BT adapter, you shouldn't have to re-pair. My BIOS is never going to use a bluetooth keyboard so I don't know anything about that, and I have to keep an extra keyboard plugged in and hidden away to switch OS's.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I do believe though that if another OS shits up Chameleon, that can be repaired and you won't be flailing. I don't remember how exactly.
I dual booted for many months, but now that I've got an extra drive I feel much better having them isolated. Just the fact that they won't stop changing each other's system time makes me nervous enough.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

8ender posted:

I dual booted on one drive for a while and it sucked. Now I have a separate disk for windows and osx and it's the best. OSX for day to day, windows for games.

Same. All productivity, media, and social on the Mac side. Games on Windows. Or sometimes I boot to Windows for kicks, and then have a laugh at how Windows 8 calendar still is hardly loving syncing with my Gcal. Such a hilarious joke they play on me, oh how we had fun Windows.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Mogomra posted:

I see a lot of people are running Windows VMs in OSX, but I'm more interested in running an OSX VM in Windows. Is such a thing even heard of? Every guide I read online says to download :files: which seems weird to me.

e: some guides are telling me that I have to create an ISO inside OSX which seems to defeat the purpose of the whole thing.

Are you experimenting, or do you need to stay inside Windows, or are you avoiding a full OSX install as a dual boot? I tried ML inside Virtualbox prior to a full install, it was okay I think? Unsupported though, lots of stuff didn't work.

If you don't have access to OSX to create an installer, it's filez or nothing.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 3, 2014

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Mogomra posted:

I'm really just experimenting. I'd like to try a handful of applications that are only on Mac, but I do 99% of my work in Windows/Ubuntu now.

Doing a full OS install is usually easier than loving around with VM's. If you've got a spare hard drive, do that. You could find it fun, you could like it a lot, you might find yourself using it a lot if you have other Apple products, or even if you don't.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
So if I just did a full App Store update from 10.9 to 10.9.2, it should have just broken AppleIntel power management, TRIM, AppleHDA, and some other stray stuff? I feel like I fixed everything and I'm good to go.
I know I shouldn't have done an App Store update. But I've got Time Machine backup points and Super Duper images up the butt, and I figured I'd just let OSX do whatever it had been bugging me to do for a month. Still, breaking power management with no NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is a loving hassle, that makes you locate your installer USB to get a new one on there. No booting into safe mode even with that particular kernel panic.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
poo poo, I think the myHack MBR installation patch is a no-go with 10.9.3.
It's an easy fix though, it takes like an extra five minutes to do yourself what the myHack bootable maker does.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/145-mavericks-mbr-patch/

I doubt anyone can help me with this, but I use a patched AppleHDA with the correct DSDT. And it works great, even with the iPod inline mic. But every few minutes, the sound comes on as a light static hum. Just like the card has become engaged but has nothing to play. It stays on until the sound card gets actual input, like if I change the volume and it has to play the bloop noise. Which means anything I do that keeps the sound card technically engaged will keep the static hum from coming on. The hum comes on at a constant volume, and is either on or off. As long as the sound card's got something else to do, I've got no other problems whatsoever with AppleHDA.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Djarum posted:

I am using a secondary sound card due to having one of the Asus boards that has the phantom card in the bios. I get the same problem. I think it is something with 10.9 since the problem didn't exist in 10.8 with the same hardware. I solved my problem by being able to hot swap the speakers when I am not using them. Not the most elegant solution but it works.

I keep internet radio playing at a volume of zero all the time. I do this mainly because my powerline connection will shut off if it's allowed to go idle, and I'll have to reset it. I feel like I had strange sound quality issues with Voodoo, and the inline microphone doesn't work with it.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Thorpe posted:

Seriously, I've had 0 problems after figuring out clover. It was a lot more research to begin with, but my system has only ever crashed once, and everything works. Sleep, boot to windows from osx, updating via the App Store, screen share, iMessages. It's worth the time spent id say.

Hang on, why should I switch from myHack+Chameleon to Clover? Actually this last time around I didn't even use myHack, so just Chameleon. And then Multibeast is a pretty reasonable repo of kexts. Patched kexts are hard as hell to track down and I kind of enjoy having someone besides myself and a random forum to sign off on them.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
It doesn't matter since I've already decided to make a new installer stick, but does anyone know if it is safe to use an MBR-patched installer to install on a GPT-partitioned drive?

Since I'm going to be having an MBR installer and a GPT installer on the same stick, I should probably ask if that's safe as well.
clarified: MBR installer on GPT partitioned usb stick? GPT installer on MBR partitioned usb stick?

Hahaha. I bought tonymac's recommended ITX 1155 board, and it's given me 5x as many troubles as my totally unsupported Asus. iMessage is unresponsive to every typical fix, and iMessage is the reason I dual-boot.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 19, 2014

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I think it had something to do with a hosed up boot loader (boot0 error, I was booting with a USB). I reinstalled under GUID instead of MBR and I'm cruising. Of course this means I have no Windows installation, but I've got three free drive bays and no good reason to be cramming them together.
Since I run Mac exclusively for iMessage, 10.10 is the most important software update ever to occur to me. My friends with android phones will finally receive exactly the same amount of attention from me.

holy poo poo my cpu fan doesn't work. It stays at idle speed.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 20, 2014

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Anybody ever changed the device and vendor ID's on a wifi or WWAN card to pass an HP/Lenovo BIOS whitelist check?
I've made a rare/good decision not to gently caress with my BIOS to remove the whitelist entirely, which I want to say carried a 25% chance of bricking my system board and ending my 12 month x230 hackintosh run. Remaining options available include disguising an Atheros card as an Intel one, an Expresscard wifi (am currently using a Linksys WEC600N), and obviously a USB card.

These whitelists are a pain in the loving rear end. I recommend the Linksys expresscard, but it's range is not great.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
insanelymac, osx86, tonymacx86. Go wherever there's a thread on the machine you want to hackintosh, so they can point you to DSDT's and guides and such.
But this thread is pretty okay for poo poo.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
hey, yosemite came out. let us upgrade because we hate ourselves and own computers for reasons other than using them.
I'm rolling clover instead of chameleon this time around. iMessage shat itself for the last time and I'm not fixing it again.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I've never done Clover before. Anyone have a guide they've used? Just something at least to tell me how it's different installing under clover than chameleon. All I know are boot flags and poo poo.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

utonium posted:

Yeah man lots of power users here I put an Apple sticker on my PC case and everything :smuggo:

Samesies. Basically a Russian DoD hacker over here.

I’d trade away wifi if I could make it light up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with Clover and the Yosemite installer?

When I prepare a USB stick with the OS X installer, I get stuck on waiting for root device.

When I put the Yosemite installer on a hard disk and boot off that instead, the machine forcibly restarts roughly where you would expect it to bring up the UI.

Chameleon was always a lot easier in the old days. :smith:

I experienced this while installing on an MBR drive under Legacy/UEFI, but not while installing with a GPT installer USB w/ UEFI only.

• Locked thread