Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Most guides found on InsanelyMac, MacBreaker and elsewhere suggest people use Unibeast/Multibeast. I don't think anyone is saying you should give Tony money, but the thread should not take a :ssj:LET ME TELL YOU WHY YOU SHOULD USE DIFFERENT LOADERS:ssj: position on the drat thing, because less technically inclined people are basically reliant on him to take the many patches and fixes made by the community and package them together so they don't have to find the sources and do all the work themselves.

For a linux comparison, Canonical has done one or two things that I think are dickish in the past three years but aside from a brief flirt with Debian testing I have always used Ubuntu or a derivative because ultimately my philosophies are secondary to something working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sinestro posted:

You're right about Multibeast. Multibeast is a great piece of software, as long as you don't use the actual "post-install" part, and simply use it as a kext repository. myHack is better than Unibeast because it allows you to use beta software, doesn't have shitloads of bullshit "anti-piracy" checks, and allows you to set it up with a custom Extra folder if you already have Chameleon set up correctly with a DSDT and/or don't need the full suite of kexts that it typically installs/need extra kexts, like AppleIntelE1000e, which I can bundle into my Extra folder from install to get a perfect install right off of the stick.

I get that MyHack lets you install on drives with an NTFS partition already put there, which Tonymac doesn't like probably because he doesn't want to incur the legal wrath that comes with modifications to Apple's installer. I wound up finding an article on MacBreaker where to get the replacement files and patch my own installer.

Multibeast is fine. I do let it install a bootloader, someone on the guy's forum made a DSDT for my motherboard that activates HDMI audio (which apparently can be a bitch) and some other things if I leave the file on the desktop when I run it. It works. I understand that he's just packaging the Chameleon people's works and some forum poster's kexts and not giving credit and probably breaking The Hacker's Code in doing so, but I'm just a poor gently caress who wants to run his boss's OSX app. People like me just want to work, ethics be damned.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Does anyone here have sleep and wake working properly as a reliable matter on Mountain Lion? If you do, what's your motherboard/graphics card? Do you use any darkwake flag in your chameleon config? What's your 'pmset -g | grep hibernatemode'?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

agarjogger posted:

I use my 10.8.2 ML desktop as my alarm clock, so it's pretty reliable coming and going from sleep. I use an Asus P8P67 (no integrated gfx), Sapphire 6870, no boot flags (GraphicsEnabler and ATIConfig=duckweed are automatic), and SleepEnabler. The rest I don't know because I barely know how to install a kext myself. Everything in iATKOS just worked oob, whereas pretty much nothing worked with Unibeast/Multibeast. If you want I can look up those settings, but you'll have to tell me how.

pmset -g | grep hibernatemode
hibernatemode 3

Man, I think I'm about to give up. I'm using NVidia graphics, and an Asus P8Z77 PRO with a custom flashed firmware from that one site and a DSDT made by some kind soul on Tomymac's board who set it up to work with HDMI audio out. I can always go to sleep just fine, but no matter what I set darkwake (or Darkwake, never know if it should be capitalized or not) and other settings, I simply can not wake up with video on many occasions.

This happened with an older NVidia card, too, so I don't blame the graphics card. It's either motherboard settings or some arcane Multibeast thing. :(

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just to help spread the word, it seems I have fixed my "no video picture when waking from sleep" problem by installing the FakeSMC 5.2.725 and it's plugins (found in MultiBeast and elsewhere). Seems an earlier version was causing this problem for others as well. No more hard reboots for me. Yay!

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 17, 2013

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Patched and updated my motherboard BIOS. Made sure that tonymac's Chameleon ripoff is up to date. Well, let's install this on top of Mountain Lion and hope for the best!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

FlashBangBob posted:

Upgraded my hack with Mavericks using Unibeast and Multibeast. Went flawless just like all other upgrades.

Upgraded mine with MyHack since people here seem to like it more. It went okay, though it seems all the kexts and work for my hardware profile have reset so I can't get online (I'm in Windows downloading Multibeast right now) and the provided Bootlauncher is text based and seriously looks like something from 1998.

As much as people give Tony poo poo for taking open source projects, putting his name in the author box and adding a bunch of googly eyes to everything, at least he isn't using DOS-esque bootloaders. gently caress.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Well, I had to add a DSDT to get HDMI audio and went ahead and did that through MultiBeast and I got the graphical GUI back. I'll look into themes etc later.

At least stuff is working again. :sweatdrop:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Anyone here have a big opinion about Multibeast VS Clover? I've been told Clover is better on UEFI motherboards like Ivy/Haswell, but obviously all setups to the uninitiated (TonyMac, iHack, etc) are built around Chameleon.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Anybody know anything about SMBios, speed stepping, CPU states, etc?

I'm using a 3770 Ivy Bridge, and the default MacPro3,1 bios only gives me a CPU multiplier of 16. The bios for Ivy Bridge models such as iMac13,1 includes 16 and 32 (my maximum since I don't overclock nor wish to overclock) so it runs a bit faster, but there should be more degrees in there between minimum and maximum. I've been told the later MacPro models (the ones where you need to delete files in order to not cause a kernel panic) include a few more in-between, although I seem to crash in games more often than not with those.

By contrast, GPU power management isn't something I'm concerned with, as I own a somewhat unpopular board (660 non-ti) and people far smarter than me with this board haven't been able to come up with any optimized, stable solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Got Clover working to the point where I can boot up with sound over HDMI.

Any way I can reduce the number of launch options on it's screen? Having Windows be seven icons away from OSX is a far cry from my Chimera setup of having a Windows and Mac icon next to each other and OSX launch automatically in three seconds if no keys are pressed.

• Locked thread