Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

agarjogger posted:

K so here's what I did that fixed it straight away. First I replaced my FileNVram.dylib with the latest one I could find off osx86.net. Then I removed all of Messages.app's config and history files to tidy up. I deleted ethernet from networking, and also deleted networking's I added EthernetBuiltIn=yes to my boot plist, and also added it's long-form device tag to boot plist. One or two reboots in there, I can't remember, then success.

These are the directions from http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html
and http://www.osx86.net/topic/19442-guide-get-icloud-app-store-and-imessage-working/

I would really love to know why the newest version of that FileNVRam module works for some people, but for others they have to back down to the second-newest. I spent an hour trying to make iMessage work using the 1.1.3 version, and it didn't work. Used 1.1.2 later tonight, and it worked on the first try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

New Security Update didn't break anything for me, so that's good.

Same here, took a gamble and installed via app store and all seemed well afterward. Didn't even need to reenable TRIM like I had to after taking the last OS X update.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 3, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there a decent guide on how to convert from Chimera as configured by Multibeast to Clover? Do I have to burn the install and start over? I assume switching to Clover now will ease my pain when it comes time to upgrade to Yosemite.

The "mini deluxe" from the tonymacx86 buyers guide is the hardware config I'm using, including the 760 graphics card.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Wiped my crufty Multibeast/Chimera based 10.9 install and clean installed Yosemite running with Clover. When I tried Clover a year ago it seemed like a one way first-class ticket to an unbootable or crashy system, but after spending an hour to actually read about what it does, this makes a ton more sense and looks a lot cleaner. A week later the machine is still quite stable and I've even gotten iMessage working again. I got my account blocked months ago because of constant attempts to sign in when I didn't have the FileNVRAM kext working right, and so I had to call in to get it unlocked.

Question: so since all the hackintosh-driven kexts live on the EFI partition rather than living in /S/L/E, and the NVRAM emulation is done smarter under Clover, this should in theory mean I can install point updates from the app store with reckless abandon, right? It was always a pain to re-run Multibeast after applying a combo update since kexts got overwritten or moved out of the way.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kode54 posted:

Not all hackintosh driven kexts live in the EFI partition. For instance, all third party Ethernet drivers still live in /S/L/E/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns as far as I know.

Is Clover's kext injection not appropriate for network drivers? I did not have working Ethernet on my machine at first boot. I put AppleIntelE1000e.kext into Clover's kexts folder in the EFI partition and rebooted and it was off to the races.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I had Clover generate me some values, then I pasted the serial number into Apple's website and confirmed that it didn't pull back anything related to a real Mac. I was happy with that so I ran with it.

iMessage works for me with that configuration.

I did get a prompt to call Apple with a code, but I'm pretty sure this was because I got a block put on my account months ago when I was goofing with the plist-based SMBIOS property storage on Mavericks. Once I got that crap stabilized back then, iMessage started wanting a code from me too, I just never called it in.

This time I called Apple as I was told and it solved the problem in minutes. That having been said, they asked for a serial number for my machine (probably because they have to connect it to support tickets anyway). I just gave them the one for my MacBook that was still under AppleCare.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there a good non-bullshit guide to Clover+Yosemite? I had a mostly working install, but it freaked out on me one day and started hanging at boot. After a week of screwing with it and trying all the things which I know to work on real true-blue Macs, I just cut bait and put Ubuntu on the machine. I kind of want to give it another shot.

The TonyMac guides/forums are full of cargo culting and I've concluded that there's no way anyone who goes through the guide can learn enough about what they're doing to be able to debug the process if it goes sideways.

Here's what I'm working with, btw, and if the motherboard here is a lovely one and there's a better choice in a mini-itx form factor I'm open to switching.

Core i7 4770K
Gigabyte GA-Z87N-Wifi (although I know the onboard Wifi/Bluetooth chipset in this is not OS X compatible and I gave the mini-PCI card to a friend)
Geforce GTX 760 video

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

enMTW posted:

Clover is a very broad topic. In short, get a USB drive and format it as FAT. Grab the latest Clover PKG off the Sourceforge.

Configure it (in the installer) like this

code:
Bootloader: Don't update MBR.

CloverEFI: CloverEFI 64-bits SATA.

Themes: Black Green (trust me)

Check Drivers64UEFI. You want every item in that entry.
Should look like this: http://i.imgur.com/V8G7SVc.png http://i.imgur.com/5ibuWIL.png http://i.imgur.com/NP3HE6Q.png

That'll get you installed. Once the install completes, go into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts and copy FakeSMC.kext into each folder in there.

That's enough to boot and install the OS. For Gigabyte boards, boot the drive as EFI and go into Clover Settings. Disable every DSDT patch it has enabled. Boot your install drive (make it using DiskMakerX or any other normal/legit mac tool you like) and go for it.

Once you got OS X installed post your config.plist here. I'll edit it (and explain how to do it yourself) so iMessage works and Clover doesn't try to do DSDT patches that aren't relevant to your board every time you boot.

Awesome, thanks. I've got OS X installed, posting from Safari on a minimally working system booted off the Clover USB. I had to put this ethernet driver into the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 directory so it got injected at boot and got me working ethernet on one of the two ports. This board's got two ethernet ports with two chipsets, neither of which were supported out of the box.

Here's my config.plist, I'm assuming this to just be the default settings, including the default "true" settings on the DSDT patches I manually turned off at boot time.

http://pastebin.com/yAezWdji

For iMessage/Facetime to work do I need a ROM/MLB from a donor machine or is that how you get yourself screwed in the first place? I have two old Macs that I know work with iMessage, one a 2008 Mac Pro and the other a 2010 Mac Mini. One is collecting dust and the other I'm using as a home server. I had been using generated IDs in the past, and it worked until December when they seemingly cracked down.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 8, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

enMTW posted:

A super helpful post which goes a long way into teaching a man to fish.

Thank you so much for your help. The new config.plist seems way easier to manage now, and with all the extra noise out of there I feel like I've got a way better understanding of everything going on under the hood.

Up and running now with great success, and I feel like this machine is already way less janky from the get-go. This time was able to actually get the onboard ALC897 working and ditch the USB DAC I was using. Either the native OS X driver had a bug or the DAC itself had a problem, but either way it seemed to make a loud "pop" on the audio every time you go to a web page that has a flash element on it, even if the flash element isn't playing audio.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

enMTW posted:

No problem!

Cheap (~$10) USB Dacs like to pop/make noise a lot. Known issue.

Next up in my OS X guide series: how to get Clover to automatically patch AppleHDA. If one were to apply this patch, they can stop installing AppleHDA for ALCXXXX and HdaEnabler1 every time they take a major update.

If that's something you are interested in, check the thread later today :)
Oh cool, I'll keep an eye out. I made sure to backup AppleHDA so I can roll back and use your method.

This was a Behringer $30 DAC, so I expected better, but I honestly think in reality it was a $10 DAC under the hood with $20 worth of brand name recognition on it :v:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Anything with 10.10.3 to be concerned about?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

What's the prognosis like for 4K displays with a Hackintosh? Will a GTX 760 drive a 4K display decently?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So in order to get 4K working with my 760 I had to install the web driver. I'm only able to get a 30hz refresh rate despite the monitor supporting 60.

Is the 760 just not powerful enough to push 60hz?

In any case it looks awesome in retina scaled mode so w/e, I'm not really feeling like dropping $300 on a new GPU.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

enMTW posted:

Which monitor are we talking about? OS X only supports SST universally - a couple Mac models support MST but only those models. It also does not support HDMI 2.0, Display Port only.

Nevermind, I'm dumb. I'm in business now.

It's this Acer monitor. http://www.amazon.com/Acer-B286HK-ymjdpprz-Widescreen-ErgoStand/dp/B00MN2OKKO

Turns out, out of the box the monitor is configured to talk v1.1 of the DisplayPort protocol, not 1.2, and I only found that out after perusing the Amazon comments after finding the link to the monitor.

I flipped it over to DP 1.2, rebooted, and it's working at 60Hz now. Once I did that, the displays control panel gives me the retina scaling options, too. Previously in order to get @2x scaled resolution I had to use SwitchResX since I didn't have the scaling options in the control panel.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

What's the story these days on Handoff/Continuity-compatible wifi/bt cards? The Intel mini-pci card that came with my Gigabyte motherboard was never compatible with OSX in the first place and its very existence was giving me issues. I pulled it in favor of just using hardwired network and a USB BT dongle.

The problem I'm seeing though is there's the interference issue between USB3 and Bluetooth, so every now and then my trackpad goes all choppy. Would be nice to get a real card to avoid these problems.

• Locked thread