Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There is approximately zero chance of that ever happening.

That first thing, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IMHO 64gb is going to be unnecessarily tight for space when it comes to OSX and Windows. The prices of 128GB SSDs is low enough that I wouldn't even think twice before buying a separate one for a second OS, regardless of what OS it is.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chameleon/Chimera actually gives me the option of booting from disks with no OS installed so it's almost too dual-boot friendly. I had to edit my config to tell it to stop showing me my data drives as bootable OSes.

But yeah, if you have Chimera or Chameleon installed then set your OSX disk to be your primary boot disk. The bootloader will scour other disks and give you the option of booting your other OSes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

~Coxy posted:

For two OSes I'd recommend two disks, just because it makes it so much easier to get into one OS if the other is acting up, or to unplug your OS X disk when installing windows to ensure that it won't overwrite your bootloader with its own retarded version.

This is my take on it as well. It's just more flexible IMHO. If you can afford two drives and it won't put you out too much then I think this is the smarter way to go.

But that isn't to say that a one-disk solution is a nightmare or anything.

And now a question of my own:

I'm probably going to upgrade my motherboard to a different one I have lying around. I shouldn't need to reinstall the OS, right? It ought to be a matter of swapping the DSDT and any relevant support kexts? I'll probably need to remove the ethernet configuration plist or something too.

I'm basically trying to avoid reinstalling my OS until Mavericks is out, but I do a lot of VMware vSphere lab stuff with Fusion and I'm bumping up against the 12gb in my machine every now and then since I don't like to completely shut down everything else I'm doing on the machine at the time, and the other motherboard supports my i7 920 but will let me load up 24gb RAM.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 30, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm on 10.8.3, not because I'm scared of breaking anything, but I just can't be bothered to upgrade since there's nothing wrong with my desktop right now and 10.9 is around the corner.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Vaguely hackintosh related:

Do you guys know if there are any drivers for Windows that will let me use my Apple keyboard volume keys? I gather that real(tm) Apple machines let you do this in bootcamp by installing some drivers. Do these also work on a hackintosh? I really want to get vol up/down running when I have to reboot into Windows every now and then.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

A question of my own: today when I came out of sleep, I started reading some emails and suddenly my monitor displayed only static. Turning the monitor off and on didn't change anything, but I rebooted and everything seems fine. It's weird because it looked just like TV static but I use DVI which is of course digital. I gather that sometimes this happens on real macs too? Anybody else have this happen? (I have an 8800gtx)

This is exactly what happens to me at work where I have an 8800 card of some sort as well. I only ever see it immediately after bringing my display out of DPMS sleep (while the machine runs 24/7). It never happens where I'm doing something and the static appears, as you describe, but I can confirm that I do get the static.

And those that are wondering, it is literally random pixels of static, like you'd see on an old analog TV, but colourful.

It's not even annoying. It happens maybe once or twice a week, and literally goes away in a few seconds. Though it sounds like it's a little more persistent for other people.

I suspect it's something to do with the handshaking between the card and the monitor, but I don't have any way to back that up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How long would you guys say it takes for your hackintosh to shut down, from the time you click "Shut Down" or "Restart" until the computer actually powers off or resets itself? I don't mean until it gets back into BIOS or anything, I just want to know how long the actual shutdown procedure lasts. Mine takes a little longer than I think it should -- somewhere around 10-15 seconds, which is about as long as it takes to boot up so I'm kind of questioning whether I have something misconfigured or whatnot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It really depends on how the touchscreen manifests itself. If it's just a standard HID then there's really no reason it should be any more difficult to implement than a multitouch trackpad. I've got a touchscreen monitor on one of my hacks at work but it just manifests itself as a regular mouse so it's supported OOB.

If we can get a Windows 8 device manager report on the touchscreen component it might be easier to determine just how much of a stumbling block it would be :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I keep looking for an excuse to replace my i7 920 from 2009 but it's literally still pulling everything I need it to, so I can't really justify upgrading right now :(

Going to spend the money to replace my dying iPhone 4 instead.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

That's the only way to get 10.8.5/mavericks right this second right?

Correct.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Most artists I know absolutely hate finger based touch input and gravitate towards things like Wacom anyway. Touch screen computers are a terrible loving idea and you only have to use one for like ten minutes before you see why. I may not buy into everything Steve sold, but his reasoning (as far as we know it) for not making a touch screen iMac is something I'm 100% behind.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the last release of OSX that ran "reliably" on AMD hardware? I'm asking purely for shits and giggles, I don't actually plan to put together some kind of weird AMD hackintosh.

I'm guessing it was probably the same one that ran reliably on Intel Atom chips, right? They both required a kernel replacement IIRC.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Right, that's why I mentioned the replacement kernel at the end :haw:

But yeah, it was probably 10.6.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

On a related note, what mouse do you guys use? I have a Logitech gaming mouse that I really like the feel of, but I'm really used to the mission control for switching between windows, and that mouse doesn't do mission control (unless a remapped keys I guess). I bough a Magic Mouse specifically for this hackintosh but I'm not sold on it yet. It doesn't feel right in my hands, though I may just need to get used to it. Gripping it lightly with a few fingers is not something I'm used to.

Download BetterTouchTool and remap whatever you want on your mouse. I have a G700 and it works fine with BTT. Fully configureable.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Or literally just find someone you know who has a Mac and will let you log in on their machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't think he's expecting to hack a G4, he just wants to know if he can get 10.9 by using his old powerbook.

• Locked thread