Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Handy tip for rebuilding kext caches (assuming your ownership and permissions are right), pop open terminal and run "touch /System/Library/Extensions" . It invalidates the cache and it immediately rebuilds. Very handy when moving kexts around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
I just updated to Mavericks from the App Store without any helpful googly-eye stuff that I'm not quite sure what its doing. Ever since 10.5 I've been doing things as vanilla as possible, and have loved the results. I never really have any issues, and I'm completely certain about what has been done by what file.

My 10.8 was using:

Chameleon 2.2 r2266 (configured/generated files with Chameleon Wizard which is amazing)
-FileNVRAM module
-Generated SMBIOS
-Generated boot.plist
-DSDT (incidentally, from tonymac's database)

FakeSMC in /S/L/E

And that's it. I completely stopped worrying about updates and stuff, because everything just worked--updates never removed FakeSMC, and all the "fixing" was relegated to Chameleon's Extra folder and I knew what all of those things were doing.

So to upgrade to Mavericks, I downloaded it from the App Store, and then prepped a drive as a Mavericks boot disk like this. I used a spare hard drive because my Gigabyte mainboard can't boot off USB drives (why, Gigabyte?) I copied my Extra folder to the installer, and moved FakeSMC and the kernel per that thread.

I booted off that drive once to make sure it worked properly (it did, no issues) then booted back into 10.8. Then I ran the Mavericks installer. When it prompted to reboot, I click the reboot button and during that reboot, booted into the Mavericks installer. The Mavericks installer automatically takes over and installs Mavericks with no interaction on my part (that's what starting the Mavericks install app from the 10.8 system does--it marks and preps the drive)

When that was complete, it rebooted, and I booted into my former 10.8 drive. And I was in Mavericks, and everything worked (although I had to reboot once to generate the NVRAM so iMessages would work).

• Locked thread