Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

SourKraut posted:

I think most will agree on the dickish movies of tonymac, but at the same time, I feel like for many the tools they provide are the easiest/most-straightforward, and there should be a section on them as part of the OP.

That's the thing though, the tools he puts into his stupid packages aren't made by him and he doesn't give proper credit to the authors. He's a dick and you shouldn't support him. Hell, his "Chimera" bootloader is just Chameleon repackaged with a bunch of tonymacx86 bullshit plastered all over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sinestro posted:

I've set up a Haswell hackintosh for a friend. I would recommend 10.9 as I stated in the OP, it is as stable as ML was on my system, and it is easier to make the installer vs. a beta revision of ML.

What sort of build did you do? I've been itching to build a Haswell desktop but I'm a bit skittish on actually picking out parts.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sinestro posted:

This is a pretty high end build. You could get a less powerful GPU, less RAM, etc.

That looks pretty similar to what I was considering (plus I already have a GeForce GTX 660 Ti to pop in there). Were there any problems with it?

Putting the entire Tonymac issue aside, I don't like using packages like Multibeast because they tend to install things you don't need; I did the entire Hackintosh setup poo poo on the machine I currently have by myself. The only things I have on my EFI partition is Chameleon and FakeSMC (plus DSDT.aml and SMBIOS.plist, obviously) – so I basically want to do as close to an unmodified install as possible. Would I be able to do that with this board?

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 12, 2013

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sinestro posted:

Yeah, it works pretty much perfectly. All you need is FakeSMC.kext and the latest SVN build of Chameleon.

So no DSDT or SSDT is required? What I'd ideally like to do is just pop out the SSD I have in my current Hackintosh and just plop it in the new machine by just editing whatever is on the EFI partition. Did you need to create a SMBIOS or anything?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
So I just built a new machine around a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H and it's either freezing or rebooting right after Chameleon gets to "Processing XSDT". Anyone know whats going on?

e: huh. 10.9 actually worked instead, guess I'll have to install that

e2: of course, after booting the 10.9 installer the old 10.8.5 install works :wtc:. Holy poo poo is this thing fast.

e3: …but not quite fast enough :getin:. Anyone know how to get Chameleon/OS X to recognize DDR3-2133?

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 18, 2013

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Is there a preferred way of dual-booting? Is it like boot camp, or do I just go into bios each time and select a different boot drive?

Chameleon (which most but not all other OS X bootloaders are based off of) has an interface that's pretty similar to Boot Camp's, except you don't hold down the option key. The last time I tried some of the other TianoCore-based bootloaders they had a pretty similar interface too.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

RandomCheese posted:

OK I am so close to pulling the trigger and buying a system build specifically to be compatible with Mac OS but I still have some reservations and need some advice before I proceed. The parts I have narrowed it down to are:

Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H - This thread says prettymuch every part of the board works fine, I'm hoping he's right.
i5 4670K
16GB Kingston Black 1600MHz DDR3
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 770 OC
2x 180GB Intel 335 SSD (Win 7 and OS X)
2x 3TB 7200RPM HDD
Sonnet 3-Port Firewire 800 adapter
WQHD 27" monitor, planning to use displayport to get full res.
As well as case, cooler, 650w psu etc.

My early 2009 iMac is struggling to keep up with my audio needs and I considered buying the cheapest 27" iMac, but even though I am spending roughly the same on this system as I would on an actual Apple ultimately I will end up with a more powerful machine with better (actual?) future upgrade prospects. Overall my biggest concern with the DIY route is stability, I do a lot of music recording and production and the worst thing that could happen would be random crashes or other freakouts during tracking or other moment-critical music sessions.
It is a Haswell build, I'm trying to future-proof myself as much as possible even if picking these parts will give me short-term grief until the consumer release of 10.8.5 or 10.9. Is there any disadvantage to using the developer preview as the main OS? I do use a bunch of music programs and plugins, will they be cool with mavericks or should I stick with ML for the moment?
I chose that board for it's broad compatibility and very close to out-of-the-box function, and the firewire card costs twice as much as competing models but apparently the chipsets these cards use is a big deal when it comes to stable operation so I picked this one due to it having the correct chipset as well as being a product sold for use in actal Macs anyway. From what I have read I will need to do very little .kext dickery with this component list. I have never had to go this low-level with a mac before, is it wrong to say that the more .kext editing that has to be done, the less overall stability the system will have? That sort of hands on approach when it comes to vital system files was what turned me off hackintosh back when I bought the iMac, I work as an IT technician fixing macs and PCs every day and didn't want to bring the troubleshooting home with me so I am still entirely unaware of almost everything related to the setup of strange hardware in the OS X environment. Am I on the right track for easiest hackintosh possible? Cross-referencing a million threads across the internet has led me to where I am now with this parts list, a seriously overblown budget, and a slight sense of dread because every second post in any of the threads was "mine didn't work help me". I'm legit good at computers so I'm not worried about running into a few issues at the start but am I pretty certain to have a trouble free time in the spaces between installation and next update release?

This is pretty similar to the build I just did, except I popped an i7 4770K in there instead of the i5 and I've got a GeForce GTX 660Ti instead of the 770. It works really well; I'm running 10.8.5 (12F20) and haven't really had any stability problems. The only "problem" I'm having with it that I didn't have on my old Hackintosh build is that multi-monitor on the 660Ti doesn't work without a reboot - that is, if you just plug in another monitor it won't be detected by OS X until you reboot your computer. I haven't actually tried the onboard graphics (or audio since I use a USB thing) because I really don't have any reason to, but I could try it if you'd like.

Other than that, it's a pretty loving great build (I haven't noticed any other problems, incredibly) and I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

e: forgot to mention that if you're planning on going with 10.8.5 instead of 10.9, the kext package from that post won't work, they're compiled for 10.9. If you want I could just zip up my whole EFI partition/folder I guess, it's only 2 kexts and an SMBIOS plist.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 23, 2013

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Martytoof posted:

I'm probably going to upgrade my motherboard to a different one I have lying around. I shouldn't need to reinstall the OS, right? It ought to be a matter of swapping the DSDT and any relevant support kexts? I'll probably need to remove the ethernet configuration plist or something too.

Yeah, I just did this when I built my GA-Z87X-UD3H system. All I had to do was upgrade to 10.8.5 for Haswell support and then delete the old DSDT (the Z87X-UD3H doesn't need one) and put in a kext for Ethernet support. You might also want to change your SMBIOS plist if the specs are going to be radically different.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

RandomCheese posted:

I ended up going to 10.9 which worked pretty well overall but I have had a couple of random crashes and sleep mode doesn't seem to work so I think I might drop back down to ML to see if those issues clear up. Does the 10.8.5 update need to be applied to the OSX image prior to installing the OS or can it just be upgraded as usual after you get the initial install done?

Despite the couple of crashes I was surprised with how easy it was to build a functioning mac, I am very happy with my new build. The worst experience of the project was the myhack install creator unmounting the USB drive to format it and then remounting it as / instead of the full path so that, as I realised too late, it wrote the 10.9 installer over my existing OS on my iMac. Being an IT professional, of course I didn't have any running current backup to easily restore my OS so I had to spend the better part of the day recovering from that before I could even make the install disk for the hackintosh project. Didn't lose any data though which is cool I guess.

You might need to use a donor Mac (just pop out the drive you're going to be using on the mew machine and hook it up to your iMac, I guess - you should be able to just do a clean install and then modify the EFI partition) since Mountain Lion's kernel doesn't have support for Haswell before 10.8.5 with the exception of the special build of 10.8.4 that comes with the new MacBook Airs. Like I said earlier, the Ethernet kext included with the 10.9 package won't work with 10.8.5 though, so let me know if you need it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

SRQ posted:

And it works!
For the record you have to install with PciRoot=1, and always boot with that flag. Install Chimera (the most recent one fixed the timer issue) and then Voodoo HDA for my X-fi, and a special kext for the ethernet port. I can't think of a good place to host it, if anybody wants it point me to an acceptable site for hosting.

As far as I know I didn't have any of those problems using the latest Chameleon (and don't have to use PciRoot=1). What was the timer thing about? I guess it's possible that it's a bug I just haven't noticed.

By the way, do you get verbose boot text all the way through the boot with your 660? On my 660Ti it stops after the PCI configuration begin thing regardless of whether or not I use npci=0x3000 or npci=0x2000.

e: oh also did you end up with 10.9 or 10.8.5?

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 2, 2013

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
Oh, weird. I guess that's another reason to use Chameleon over tonymac's Chimera bullshit.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

I still using 10.8.2 because I'm scared shitless that I will gently caress my install. I had to bust my balls to get it to work. Is there any noted improvements in the last two versions?

They're mostly bugfixes, but unless you need a special kernel updating OS X is generally pretty safe. Upgrading OS X (like 10.8 -> 10.9) is when you should be pretty careful.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

SRQ posted:

Is there a trick to get hard disks faster in hackingtosh? I might just be seeing things but I swear they're all operating way slower then they should be.
Like, file transfers seem hella slower between drives then windows, it's all AHCI SATA so I don't see what the deal is.
Actually on second look I think it's the just the size of the file, 50 gigs is no joke. Looks like I'm getting 70-90 mb/s.

E: Heh, my PC shows up as an "iMac Summer 2001" with an image of a Mac Pro beside it.
heh

Activity Monitor should tell you how fast your disk transfer speeds are.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

SRQ posted:

Anyone with a Haswell made an SMBIOS yet? I tried making a Mac Pro (Latest) SMBIOS but it panicked on startup, I'll try doing an iMac next but I don't have much hope.
E: iMac worked, either it's faster or I'm experience the placebo effect.
Now what about a DSDT? I can't find any for this board, how would I make one?

Also what exactly does PciRoot-1/0 actually do? For whatever reason my setup will only boot if both 1 and 0 are called in the plist, don't ask me why it doesn't make any loving sense I know.

The only SMBIOS I've tried is some iMac 13,2 one I found on InsanelyMac and it works pretty well. Also, I'm using some Chameleon trunk build instead of Chimera but I don't have to use a DSDT with my board (I think it's the same as yours?) or put in any PciRoot options.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

~Coxy posted:

An i5 should be more than fine for software decoding, and I doubt OS X will actually use any GPU you might add for hardware decoding.

If Plex has a fairly complicated UI it might help I guess?

Edit: Something called VTDecoderXPCService uses 30-40% of a single CPU when I play a 1080p H.264 MP4 in QuickTime Player. OS X 10.8.3, NVidia GTX 680.

OS X definitely supports hardware acceleration of video rendering if you have hardware that supports it: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/technotes/tn2267/_index.html

for the lazy it says you need 10.6.3 and "NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, GeForce 320M, GeForce GT 330M, ATI HD Radeon GFX, Intel HD Graphics and others".

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
Shutting down on 10.8.x takes a little while even on a normal Mac. On my 2013 i7 MBA it takes about 10 seconds to shut down completely (which is about the same as my Hackintosh) and sometimes over 30 seconds on my old Core 2 MBP.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

agarjogger posted:

How did Windows 8 system image restore change my partition table from GPT to MBR without wrecking my 10.8.4 partition? I just made a Chameleon partition on my USB external drive and boot from there with hardly a hiccup.

Does Disk Utility say that the partition scheme was changed to MBR? It's possible that it just overwrote Chameleon and that's easy enough to fix.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
I've been having a weird problem ever since switching hard drives for my OS X install: my Ethernet kext (AppleIntelE1000e.kext) absolutely refuses to be loaded through a kernel cache - every time I boot I'm forced to use UseKernelCache=No for it to load.

I've tried kernelcache -system-prelinked-kernel, kernelcache -system-caches, putting the kext in /System/Library/Extensions without it being in my EFI partition's /Extra/Extensions, putting it in /Extra/Extensions without it being in /S/L/E, keeping it in both, putting it in IONetworkingFamily.kext's PlugIns folder; just about every loving thing I can think of, and it still won't load from the cache. I've verified that it actually is in the cache, it just won't load (this is on 10.8.5 12F33).

Anyone know what the poo poo is going on here?

e: as a side effect this is preventing another kext that I installed after all of this started happening from loading so it's not just me being an impatient baby pissed off at the longer boot time

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 1, 2013

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
Figured out how to solve my kernelcache problem: apparently I must put "npci=0x2000" as a boot argument or else my network card's kext won't load from the cache. Ironically I wasn't even trying to solve the problem at that point, I was just trying to read what was going on while the system was booting — I was even going to reboot it preemptively after realizing I didn't put in "UseKernelCache=No" as an argument.

Don't ask me how or why this works, it just does. :aaaaa:

Now only if I could have figured this out before I did a bunch of clean installs of OS X...

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

chupacabraTERROR posted:

So, mavericks is rumored to come out in late october now. Is anyone else sitting on a haswell system waiting to convert it to a hackintosh once apple releases mavericks?

release the mavericks tim

I'm just using 10.8.5 since that supports Haswell too. There's really no reason to wait.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

chupacabraTERROR posted:

10.8.5 is out. Anyone with a haswell system going to try it, or just wait for mavericks?

I've been using 10.8.5 on a Haswell system for a few months now. The only problem I'm having is that it keeps trying to get me to install a Thunderbolt firmware update (which can't install, obviously), but that's probably not a 10.8.5 issue.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Djarum posted:

I have never had HDMI audio working with any card AMD or Nvidia with OSX. Don't even bother trying to go down that K-Hole.

HDMI audio works perfectly well on my 660 Ti, I just needed to install NvAudio.kext.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
Has anyone found a SMBIOS from one of the new 2013 iMacs yet? Since they're pretty similar to most Haswell Hackintoshes it might be useful.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Demie posted:

If you're trying to install those web download drivers from Nvidia, I don't think they work. I got them to install just fine, but the menu won't switch over from the stock OSX drivers. I'm using a 650 non-TI, which has the same actual chip that's in one imac model. I really think someone has to come up with a patch. Not that it's such a big deal, I have done lots of gaming on the stock drivers and they work great.

One idea that might help, buy a spare low-end video card like an AMD 5400 or a Nvidia 8400gs. You can get them for $10 if you shop around, and they would help you troubleshoot any problems that are related to your good card.

They do work, they just require a NVRAM setting in order to be enabled. The proper boot string (for Chameleon anyway) is nvda_drv=1.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
Did you guys just install Mavericks from the App Store?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

~Coxy posted:

Alright I'll take that back slightly.

I'm getting an issue where I will randomly lose ethernet connectivity. From memory, I got a similar thing happening back in the 10.7 days.

I've currently installed the Intel Ethernet kext from MultiBeast. Has anyone else run into this issue?

This really only happens to me when I transfer large amounts of data (upwards of like 50 GB). It's a known issue and the last time I looked into it still occurs with newer builds of the kext, and those are even less stable.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
I haven't had any problems with USB 2.0 devices using the USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard (Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H). It has a Renesas hub (Product ID: 0x0210, Vendor ID: 0x045b), if that helps.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
Is anyone having trouble with NVAudio.kext on 10.9.2? I don't know if they changed AppleHDA (I don't have a 10.9.1 machine to test against), so I'm really not sure what the problem is - as far as I can tell it's just a simple injector thing. It's definitely loading at startup, but I can't select my HDMI device as an output option by option-clicking on the sound thing in the menu bar.

e: hmm, found an updated "HDMIAudio.kext" from the same developer. When installing that I got a "This kernel extension is not from an identified developer" - that's new, and I don't have Gatekeeper enabled. Whatever, seems to work.

If anyone's interested, that kext apparently works with ATI cards too.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 3, 2014

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

cbirdsong posted:

I got an IOGear bluetooth dongle to use with OS X, and it works fine there, but my keyboard doesn't work in my BIOS or Chimaera, and I'd have to re-pair it to use it with Windows. However, my motherboard also has a built-in bluetooth module. If I get one of these multi-device Logitech keyboards, and pair it with both my motherboard's BT module in Windows, is it likely to also work in the BIOS and Chimaera?

I use the Logitech K750 instead just to avoid Bluetooth problems like this (it's RF instead). It's pretty nice, I recommend it if you're not completely set on having Bluetooth.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

cbirdsong posted:

Yeah, I already use a Logitech mouse, so any of their non-Bluetooth keyboards would use the same lil' USB dongle, but I really like the tenkeyless form factor of my Apple keyboard, and all of Logitech's similar keyboards are Bluetooth. I wonder if the trackpad on this one would work in OS X. At least that would be more useful than a number pad.

If it's just presented as a USB HID device then I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. As you probably know from your mouse though, Logitech's OS X drivers are horrible. 99% of my crash logs are Logitech Control Center crashing literally a minute after it last crashed :ughh:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

oohhboy posted:

I had a similar issue to yours but what happened to me might not apply to you. The memory I had initially were 2x 8GB x 1 8GB x 1 8 GB and the whole lot was pretty unstable. Eventually I just swapped the lot out at the shop for 4 x 1 x 8GB sticks. It's not stable at 1866, but is at 1600 with the voltage cranked up. It' also solved a weird issue where plugging in a USB storage device would cause a lock. Also XMP was entirely worthless as it would fail to post using it's settings.

You might have to bite the bullet and down clock your memory to 1333.

Interesting, I have the same board as you, but with only 2x 8GB; I've had the memory running at 2133 since I got it almost a year ago.

That said, is anyone using Clover on a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H? I have it booting from a SD card (I don't want to gently caress up my Chameleon install just yet), but I can't get it to work in 64-bit UEFI mode, just the regular MBR boot mode. I've tried looking around for people having my particular problem: it hangs at "root device uuid is '(uuid)'++++++++++", but everything I've found either says "just upgrade to the next revision", or the person having the problem (apparently) never figures it out.

Clover seems pretty nice (it auto-applies the TRIM patch, for example), so I'd like to give this a try if I can get it to work.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 1, 2014

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

agarjogger posted:

I've never done Clover before. Anyone have a guide they've used? Just something at least to tell me how it's different installing under clover than chameleon. All I know are boot flags and poo poo.

I just used the official Clover FAQ when there were some things that I couldn't figure out on my own (the installer makes it pretty easy but there's an assload of options it doesn't configure). There's also Clover Configurator and the Clover prefpane, but you can't use those until you actually have it installed.

I installed Clover to a flash drive (and used it this way for months) before nuking my Chameleon EFI partition to make sure that everything worked OK first – I suggest anyone else trying Clover out for the first time do the same since there's a ton of configuration options and they have to be set just right in order for iMessage and poo poo like that to work correctly.

Anyway, I'm going to try to install Yosemite (using a USB drive made with the "createinstallmedia" tool) with Clover today. I'm making a complete SuperDuper clone of my Mavericks install first to see how upgrading that will go, but from what I've been reading I don't anticipate any problems.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
OK, I'm having a really weird problem with the cloned HD and the Yosemite Install USB thing: they'll boot, but they won't give me any video (using a GeForce GTX 660 Ti). I know they're booted and functional since I can VNC/SSH into them, but I get nothing on my monitor. As far as I know I don't have the onboard Intel video stuff enabled, either. Does anyone know how to fix this?

e: straight up ran the Yosemite installer and pointed it to the cloned HD, everything went mostly fine. There's a service that keeps constantly crashing and spamming the console though so I guess I'll try and track down what that's about before upgrading for real.

also holy shiiiiiittt i hate 5200 rpm drives

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 18, 2014

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
I'm not really having problems per se (the only thing is that sometimes my desktop will go to sleep even though I have it explicitly set not to - I can't figure out why it's sleeping either since it's seemingly random), but installing Yosemite left a ton of hard drive icons in Clover. There's two for my main Macintosh HD and two "OS X Installer" ones (which unsurprisingly boot the OS X Installer) and there's also two recovery partition icons.

This is all for one disk that used to only have two icons, Macintosh HD and Recovery. Anyone know how to get rid of the extras?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Chris Knight posted:

In Terminal type "diskutil list" , you should see stuff like:

code:
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Boot                    249.7 GB   disk0s2
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS FileOTron               750.4 GB   disk1s2
   3:                  Apple_HFS Backups                 1.2 TB     disk1s3
/dev/disk2
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *120.0 GB   disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Music                   119.7 GB   disk2s2
which should show you the number of physical and logical drives the OS is seeing.

I didn't think to even try that since I thought it was a Clover problem, but this turned up something interesting:

code:
/dev/disk0
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *512.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         511.3 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   0:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD           *510.9 GB   disk1
                                 Logical Volume on disk0s2
                                 2916F3C3-4522-4FEF-94F3-0AA00F88DE76
                                 Unencrypted
These are not two separate disks. It seems Yosemite converted my partition into a logical Core Storage volume for some reason. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone even know why this might have happened or how to undo it?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

kode54 posted:

Yosemite not only does that by default, it also tries to enable FileVault by default in some cases, which is really great for Hackintosh systems, since there is no boot loader for those which can boot an encrypted volume yet. Also great if you use Boot Camp on a native system, or otherwise wish to keep Windows installed on a drive, and expect to use some third party read/write HFS+ drivers from Windows, since none of those support encrypted volumes, either.

Yeah, I remember that it tried to turn on FileVault when I was finishing setup on my Hackintosh and thankfully told it not to (I was considering letting it, but I guess correctly figured it would lead to problems booting). I haven't tried to natively boot Windows on my Hackintosh yet, but the last time I did I was using Apple's HFS+ driver from some ancient version of the Boot Camp drivers for Windows since they let you read/write the volume. Somewhere along the line an updated driver package disabled write ability; I'm assuming they did this for a very good reason, but since I barely use Windows I figured the possibility of some minor data loss or whatever was outweighed by the utility of being able to write to the volume.

I don't have FileVault enabled on any of my real Macs either, but maybe the official Windows Boot Camp HFS+ driver allows you to access the volume? I'm not sure if it still works this way but the last time I played around with FileVault it turned the volume into one huge encrypted sparse disk image. Does it still do this?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
As an aside, this article on Ars Technica is a pretty interesting read if you're having problems with Continuity on your Hackintosh since it explains how everything is connected. Some of you might know all of this already if you're like me and immediately tried to figure it out on your own with Wireshark and whatnot, but it's still kinda interesting nonetheless.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I got the WiFi/BT adapter from OSXWifi, and it works beautifully. Continuity, handoff, and AirDrop work. The BT keyboard even works in the BIOS.

iMessage stopped working about a week ago, even after calling and re-activating it, so I figured it's possible that having to boot from the USB key is causing something strange. I'm SO CLOSE to having everything perfect, so I decided to start over from scratch. Destroyed my Fusion Drive, reformatted, re-created, reinstalled Yosemite using the same Clover key I've been using (although it took a few tries, first few failed with being unable to extract essentials.pkg) and restored my Time Machine backup.

I have the OS back but I still can't get it to boot off the hard drive. Now, instead of the boot0 error I just get a flashing cursor. Any ideas?

You have to clone an actual Mac for iMessage to work now. There's a utility called imessage_debug (I don't have it anymore but it shouldn't be hard to find) that spits out all of the poo poo you need to put into Clover's SMBIOS section.

I have several real Macs at home but I wanted to clone a Mac Pro, so I just put it on a USB stick, went to an Apple Store, popped it into a Mac Pro, and ran a bash script I wrote to redirect all of the output to a text file (literally just ./imessage_debug &> output.txt). Once I got home I put all of that info into my Clover configuration and iMessage has been working ever since.

e: also your other problem sounds like you don't have FakeSMC in your kernel cache. Try booting with -v -x -f.

e2: Also, I forgot to mention - if anyone was in the same boat as me and had Yosemite gently caress with your partition scheme and make your boot drive a Core Storage logical volume, I found out that it's actually easily reversible using diskutil. From the man page:

quote:

coreStorage revert device | lvUUID [-stdinpassphrase] | [-passphrase passphrase] | [-recoverykeychain file]
Convert a CoreStorage logical volume back to its native type. The volume must have been created by means of conversion, e.g. with diskutil coreStorage convert.

If the volume was not created with a passphrase, then simple ownership of the affected disk is required; otherwise, a passphrase must be supplied, either interactively or via one of the parameters or a keychain file in the same manner as diskutil coreStorage unlockVolume.

e3: Goddamn, you paid $100 for that adpter?! Just searching "BCM94360CD" on Google turns up a ton of places selling what appears to be the exact same thing for around $35 at the most.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 8, 2014

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

kitten smoothie posted:

Is Clover's kext injection not appropriate for network drivers? I did not have working Ethernet on my machine at first boot. I put AppleIntelE1000e.kext into Clover's kexts folder in the EFI partition and rebooted and it was off to the races.

This is what I do, but after a certain (seemingly random) amount of data gets passed through my machine (I use it as a transparent ad blocking proxy with GlimmerBlocker and squid, so there's a lot of traffic going in and out) the network adapter completely shits the bed and takes the whole system down with it (not a kernel panic, but it's an odd situation where everything is basically unresponsive). Has anyone had this happen to them? Any solutions?

e: to clarify, sometimes it will go weeks (or even months) without the network adapter failing and sometimes it'll be a few hours. I have no idea what triggers it (volume of network activity or throughput speed I guess) and the only thing that solves it is a hard reboot with my machine's restart button since trying to do a clean reboot literally takes hours for the command to go through, if it works at all. This is pretty much the only problem I'm having with my Hackintosh, so it's incredibly frustrating.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

kode54 posted:

Yes the fix is quite simple. You just need to install Xcode and the console dev tools using xcode-select, and check out the latest source to the driver repo using subversion. Then you need to open the driver's project, update the base SDK and target version, archive it, drill down into the archive using Finder, and locate the compiled kext.

I should just upload my builds for Mavericks and up.

I already have Xcode set up and everything and am quite familiar with svn. Do you have a link to the repo?

Or better yet, could you just throw the binaries onto Mega or Dropbox or something?

e: also, I find it hard to believe that the problem was that the kext was built using a different SDK – it had the same problem on 10.7, 10.8, 10.9 and 10.10. Has the code also been updated? Last I checked it hadn't been for years.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 12, 2014

• Locked thread