Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

alcharagia posted:

The grinding DLCs are easy to survive in once you've gotten to the world map, though reaping the rewards inherent might be a bit difficult at that point.

The Clipped Wings DLC are intended to be tackled near to end game. Clipped Wings 1 you might be able to manage a bit earlier than that, but definitely not Clipped Wings 2.

The three superbosses are NG+ material.

Thanks that's what I needed to know. I probably wouldn't have waited until NG+ for the superbosses. I guess I'll be sinking quite a bit of time into this game, which is fine by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
FINALLY. I finally got the 7 Fiends. Pale Rider was the last one and, compared to Matador or Red Rider, he was a complete joke.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I'm still trying to get Pale Rider to spawn, I'm certain I'm at the right spot but having the worst luck.

Black Rider has been the easiest so far for me. He opened with five consecutive castings of Wastrel Beam. It left him wide open to get debuffed to hell and I finished him within about 2 turns, but my god, what a glorious gently caress-you move to open up with. :allears: "Yeah, I'm going to die, but I'll take all of your money first, sucker."

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah, Pale Rider was a pain in the rear end to get it to spawn. What strikes me as the funniest thing, though, is that he's the only one you get so much of as an in-game hint as to where he's located.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Awaken from your slumber, o thread! Europe finally got their (digital) copy of SMTIV, so this thread probably has some mileage left for it.

Since my only previous experience is from Persona 4, this is somewhat familiar. I like the straightforwardness this has compared to that, tho'.

Khaal
Mar 22, 2008
Pleasantly surprised by how cheap this was on the NZ e-store, $29.99 - usually new release games are around the $90 mark. I guess it's because this game didn't release physically in our region so they didn't feel they had to match brick and mortar store prices (which are also obscene).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Khaal posted:

Pleasantly surprised by how cheap this was on the NZ e-store, $29.99 - usually new release games are around the $90 mark. I guess it's because this game didn't release physically in our region so they didn't feel they had to match brick and mortar store prices (which are also obscene).
I think the delay in releasing it to EU/AU/NZ was also a factor. In the time it's been out in the US, I think its gotten a permanent price drop on the eShop.

I've been playing it too and also quite enjoying it. I'm only a few hours in and I've just beaten the Minotaur. The story is just really kicking off now.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah when it came out in the US it was USD $50, when even stuff like Smash Bros never goes for more than $40. They tried to justify it because it came with a soundtrack and guide book so you were buying the "Special Edition" but even the digital one which came with nothing was $50. If you had to ship it overseas like I did the dumb extra stuff added to the shipping cost too.

It's good that they released it as a budget title to the other regions but also it's digital only, really drat late, and doesn't have the other EU languages so it's the least they could have done

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I've just started the Don't kill lilith and head off with Walter to blow up the reactor quest and I'm wondering how to lower my alignment to something more sensible (IE neutral)? I'm still getting told I'm polite because I didn't kill surrendered people. The order and chaos endings aren't interesting me because the actual conclusion's already been told so the rest of the game will probably just be "And then that all happened".

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

chaos rhames posted:

I've just started the Don't kill lilith and head off with Walter to blow up the reactor quest and I'm wondering how to lower my alignment to something more sensible (IE neutral)? I'm still getting told I'm polite because I didn't kill surrendered people. The order and chaos endings aren't interesting me because the actual conclusion's already been told so the rest of the game will probably just be "And then that all happened".

You have lots of time before the actual split.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

chaos rhames posted:

also keep in mind that the final split requires you to pick a fairly major chaos/law choice, so try not to go full neutral before then.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

fronz posted:

You have lots of time before the actual split.

neato, thanks.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Does Gremlin transform at Lv 14? How many demons transform?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

irlZaphod posted:

Does Gremlin transform at Lv 14?

yes. check this out for questions like that http://erikku.github.io/smt4tool/

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I managed to level Gremlin up and yeah, it's a total instant-win against Medusa. :D I've made it to the Unclean Ones country Tokyo, looking forward to the game opening up now. It's really good so far.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You won't think that about the overworld.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Hey this Minotaur sure is hard, huh?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A Big... Dog posted:

It's pretty much the first major roadblock, yeah. It's where the game goes "hey, you're gonna need to tailor your team to fight me" for the first time.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

It's pretty much the first major roadblock, yeah. It's where the game goes "hey, you're gonna need to tailor your team to fight me" for the first time.

Tailor as in "Blast my face with ice and hope to got Walter doesn't gently caress it all up"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A Big... Dog posted:

Best thing to do: if Walter's helping you in the fight, just reset and hope you get someone else next time. Go in without Walter and with some Bufu to throw around and you're golden.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Reset that fight until Jonathan is helping. Especially reset if Walter is helping because he's an active liability. Also bring lots of ice.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

On it. Thanks everyone!

Really, really enjoying the game so far though, even this Minotaur roadblock.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I found the Minotaur and the boss right after it to be the game's difficulty peak. It's not that it starts pulling its punches after that or anything, it's just that you end up with a lot more tools to deal with what the game throws at you.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So after taking a decent break from this game after finishing it through the first time, I've decided to give it a new play on NG+ New Life mode.

On my first run I decided to play a magic character, so I could exploit weaknesses easier. This time I decided to change it up a bit and give a phys/gun build a try.

What is a decent stat distribution for a Phys character? Now that everyone has had a decent amount of time with the game, I'm sure people have found plenty of builds that work just fine, but at current I've stuck to +2dex +1Ag +2Luck each level up.

I'm also trying the game on Expert mode, because apparently I hate myself. Does this setting just raise enemy defence, while dropping yours, or is there a bit more behind it?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I did Phys first, Magic second, went +3 dex +1 agi +1 luck and had no issues.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How should I be deciding what demons to fuse and how? I just got the forest and while everything seems to have a lot of info, I have no idea what is inherently more useful then the other, or what stats I'd really like to buff up. I've heard this game gets pretty hard, so I don't want to do something dumb like neuter myself through bad fusing / levelling.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Turtlicious posted:

How should I be deciding what demons to fuse and how? I just got the forest and while everything seems to have a lot of info, I have no idea what is inherently more useful then the other, or what stats I'd really like to buff up. I've heard this game gets pretty hard, so I don't want to do something dumb like neuter myself through bad fusing / levelling.

Usually I just make sure I have at least one of each elemental attack (to hit weaknesses), a defense buff or attack debuff (since there's no other defense stat in the game), and some healing skills (for obvious reasons). The game does a pretty good job of showing what skills fused demons will have and letting you keep the skills you need, so just look for better skills than the ones you have or worst case scenario, just let the MC carry the skills you think you'll want the most.

I maintain that Fang Breaker is still the best skill in the game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it actually starts hard and then gets easier. i would suggest grabbing a spriggan out of the forest as his physical resist will be useful in a tough fight coming up. remember that anything you recruit or fuse gets added to your compendium if you find yourself wishing you hadnt fused your only ice null demon or something. for your character pick either physical or magic and pump the relevant stats.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

MelvinBison posted:

I maintain that Fang Breaker is still the best skill in the game.

While Fang Breaker has it's uses, Blight is my personal favourite. For a weak phys all attack it's surprisingly powerful, and the poison it inflicts is just the icing of the cake.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Just started playing this last night, and managed to get a game over while recruiting my first demons 15 minutes into the game. Mokoi wasn't liking anything I told him and proceeded to murder me and my one lovely demon.

Welcome back, Shin Megami Tensei. I've missed you. :kheldragar:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah, in both SMT IV and Devil Survivor, I was a little confused/daunted by fusing. I think, really, once your demons have learned all their skills, it's time to ditch them for better ones. Just remember to transfer the skills you want through in the fusion. It tells you what skills they're going to learn, so you can e.g. load them up with a couple of different elemental attacks from whatever they're going to learn, to give you more options.

I need to pick this game back up, I got to Tokyo and played it a bit longer, but then put it down and haven't played it since.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I just got this game a few weeks back and have been mashing my way through everything gluing demons together and pulling them to bits for skills and sperging out about it.

Last night I got that crowned Vile available and noticed he only had three weaknesses, the rest were nulls. Weaknesses that I had nulls for on other demons. Fused the poo poo out of everything and now I've a giant immobile slab covered in Null. Doesnt do much else but it feels good. :smugdog:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

I just got this game a few weeks back and have been mashing my way through everything gluing demons together and pulling them to bits for skills and sperging out about it.

Last night I got that crowned Vile available and noticed he only had three weaknesses, the rest were nulls. Weaknesses that I had nulls for on other demons. Fused the poo poo out of everything and now I've a giant immobile slab covered in Null. Doesnt do much else but it feels good. :smugdog:

Careful with that, there are bosses that will notice you have Null for all their elements and start spamming Almighty skills which nothing can resist. Not many do it but it's an unpleasant surprise when it happens

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Careful with that, there are bosses that will notice you have Null for all their elements and start spamming Almighty skills which nothing can resist. Not many do it but it's an unpleasant surprise when it happens

Isn't it mostly (spoiling just in case)The Fiends and some bonus / DLC bosses that, if they detect that your party is fully immune to anything they throw at you, that they start spamming their choice of bullshit almighty moves? I think that's the case.

Just make sure you keep your wits about you and you'll be fine.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Lucifuge gets rather pissy if you debuff him, but that's the closest I think the main story gets.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Alright, should I pop caps in people or be a magic-man?

Your choice goons, I've been doing 3 magic-1 agi-1 luck, but I like the sound of shooting demons with muskets.

e: nevermind, I'm switching to dex to sword and gun some demons. I had only played for like an hour previously anyways.

Kevlar Beard fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 23, 2015

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010
I've been mashing every elemental spell into my main guy and getting rid of demons once they unlock all their skills. Are there any good fusions I should be on the lookout in the early hours or is it safe to just follow the recommended ones?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

If you don't have a demon yet but can fuse it you fuse it. If you fuse a demon that is higher level and with better skills you swap to that demon. The game actually has an inverse difficulty curve; the beginning is the hardest and it becomes easier as you go.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I've finally 100%'ed Devil Survivor Overclocked, so out of curiosity I looked at reviews of the game just to see what people had to say. Mostly, I was shocked by how few reviewers knew basic Bible stories and assumed that the Tower of Babel was made up for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

madeupfred posted:

I've finally 100%'ed Devil Survivor Overclocked, so out of curiosity I looked at reviews of the game just to see what people had to say. Mostly, I was shocked by how few reviewers knew basic Bible stories and assumed that the Tower of Babel was made up for this game.

"You don't need to be a scholar in religious apocrypha to play SMT, but it helps."

• Locked thread