Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Outside of all the SMT games are there any other RPGs that have more "recent" demon concepts like that? I liked how say, in Shadow Hearts when you go to Hong Kong/Walled City there are monsters assembled from parts of abandoned skyscrapers and wraiths of depressed people who lost their jobs and had to turn to crime and died or whatever.

If Atlus is still around in a few years I wish so hard they would just say gently caress it and do one final straight up cyberpunk demon summoning game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Thuryl posted:

Contact Nintendo support, they're pretty good about sorting out stuff like this for people and giving them credit for games they bought before linking their 3DS to their account. It's not guaranteed, but it's worth the time it takes to send an email.

Well, I gave it a shot so cross your fingers! I'm getting SMT regardless but the 30 bucks would be a nice bonus.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Genpei Turtle posted:

Demon sources? Those were a Strange Journey thing. SMT4 doesn't have them.

Ah, my bad. Someone in the other thread (probably you) said that it got it's fusion system from SJ, which I read as using sources. If it's straight P4G style pick-your-skills with nothing random besides accidents, that's pretty much the best thing.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Levantine posted:

Well, I gave it a shot so cross your fingers! I'm getting SMT regardless but the 30 bucks would be a nice bonus.

Yeah, when I sent them an email about this, I had a FE survey in my Club Nintendo account within 24 hours. Good stuff.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Mailer posted:

Ah, my bad. Someone in the other thread (probably you) said that it got it's fusion system from SJ, which I read as using sources. If it's straight P4G style pick-your-skills with nothing random besides accidents, that's pretty much the best thing.

I have no idea what P4G's like so I'm not quite sure how it matches up but for the most part when fusing in SMTIV you pick your skills from your components when fusing, barring a few that won't transfer. It matches up to SJ in the way that it's a very simplified version of the traditional SMT fusion system. It's just straight up fusing 2 demons at a time except for "special" fusions you unlock. No triple fusions, no special sword fusions, no families of demon races, no special Law-vs-Chaos-vs-Light-vs-Dark rules and no skill inheritance rules like the classic SMT games. No sacrifice fusions like Nocturne either.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Genpei Turtle posted:

I have no idea what P4G's like so I'm not quite sure how it matches up but for the most part when fusing in SMTIV you pick your skills from your components when fusing, barring a few that won't transfer. It matches up to SJ in the way that it's a very simplified version of the traditional SMT fusion system. It's just straight up fusing 2 demons at a time except for "special" fusions you unlock. No triple fusions, no special sword fusions, no families of demon races, no special Law-vs-Chaos-vs-Light-vs-Dark rules and no skill inheritance rules like the classic SMT games. No sacrifice fusions like Nocturne either.

That's basically P4G's fusion except that P4G has triple fusions. P4G had a very small restricted skill list, though: just the unique skills like Niflheim.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 12, 2013

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Anyone have a link to the new angel designs? Google's failing me.

Also I now need to get a 3DS. SMT is one RPG I could never resist.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

Anyone have a link to the new angel designs? Google's failing me.

Also I now need to get a 3DS. SMT is one RPG I could never resist.

You've probably already seen them. Ever seen that promotional artwork with Flynn standing in the middle, Walter looking sinister on the left and Jonathan looking doe-eyed on the right? Those crazy abominations behind Jonathan are the new angels. Should be one of the first things you find with a GIS for SMTIV.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

If Atlus is still around in a few years I wish so hard they would just say gently caress it and do one final straight up cyberpunk demon summoning game.

Uuuhhhhhhh.... most of the smt games are pretty cyberpunk. Hell, soul hackers is straight up cyberpunk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

You should play Soul Hackers. You can't get more late-90s cyberpunk than that.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

ImpAtom posted:

You should play Soul Hackers. You can't get more late-90s cyberpunk than that.

Late 80s/90s Japanese cyberpunk is amazing :allears: Here's hoping we get a cyberpunk renaissance when people inevitably get bored with steampunk, eh?

I kinda get his point though, the last few games (Soul Hackers excluded) have been kinda light on the cyberpunk front. DDS excelled in that front, but overall it's kinda faded into the background somewhat. It's a shame, really, that was part of what got me into the series as a whole (that and a serious craving for RPGs that weren't set in a cod-Tolkein world).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Maybe someday we'll get a Persona game that's really gritty, dark, and urban again. :smith:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Can I name my main character something other than Flynn? Is it first and last names? My tradition of naming everyone Holland Oates has to continue.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Can I name my main character something other than Flynn? Is it first and last names? My tradition of naming everyone Holland Oates has to continue.

I don't know what the character limit is but you can change it. It's Flynn by default though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Do you get to also have a nickname that everyone but like one NPC will call you by like in Nocturne and DeSu1 to just name a few?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Atlus put out a link that someone is playing the US version on Twitch right now.

http://www.twitch.tv/ariablarg

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Do you get to also have a nickname that everyone but like one NPC will call you by like in Nocturne and DeSu1 to just name a few?

No, they just don't voice your character name in dialogue.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Radish posted:

Atlus put out a link that someone is playing the US version on Twitch right now.

I'm enjoying the schadenfreude of her getting destroyed by the first battles.

Also, some of those conversations.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

El Belmondo posted:

I'm enjoying the schadenfreude of her getting destroyed by the first battles.

Also, some of those conversations.

Jesus that is loving terrible. It just shows how good Quick Looks can be. This is just a mess.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Radish posted:

I wish she didn't feel the need to read literally everything out loud

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Gotta have a scare cam for those sneaky JRPG jump scares.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

NeilPerry posted:

Jesus that is loving terrible. It just shows how good Quick Looks can be. This is just a mess.

I only could watch a bit before I had to turn it off. It's just painful to watch--at one point she was so close to where she needs to be yet for some reason she insists on running around in circles. Then when she finally realizes she needs to look up to grab a ledge she looks up everywhere but the one spot where the ground lights up like a Christmas tree to say HAY LOOK UP HERE!

Though I guess it's harder to play when your attention is divided like that.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

Heavy neutrino posted:

Gotta have a scare cam for those sneaky JRPG jump scares.

Now that I think about it, a JRPG where every so often the random encounter animation is just a screamer would be hilarious.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So I've been hearing reports that some stores are breaking the street date (seen some unconfirmed locations, but apparently the new york area in general is doing it) so it might be worth calling your local shop if you can't wait till tuesday.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Levantine posted:

And they totally came through, within 24 hours even! Nintendo gets a big thumbs up on their support.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

I'm not sure how I missed this before, but everything costs 3x the price on Hard in this game. :stare:

Doing a Hard mode run in "New Life" New Game+ mode is gonna be murder.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

I'm not sure how I missed this before, but everything costs 3x the price on Hard in this game. :stare:

Doing a Hard mode run in "New Life" New Game+ mode is gonna be murder.

There's one way you can kinda cheat it, although you probably know this already.

If you set a spotpass demon, it's carried over to your "fresh" NG+. It's only a single demon but they begin in your party and become usable as soon as you remove them from the Spotpass card. So you can carry over a maxed-out Metatron or whatever if you want.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

There's one way you can kinda cheat it, although you probably know this already.

If you set a spotpass demon, it's carried over to your "fresh" NG+. It's only a single demon but they begin in your party and become usable as soon as you remove them from the Spotpass card. So you can carry over a maxed-out Metatron or whatever if you want.

Oh yeah, I'm very glad that I used the DDS demon that I did. He costs nearly 900K to summon from my compendium on Hard. :stare:

Of course you can also cheat by turning the difficulty level down every time you want to buy something too.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I'm so satisfied with the English voice for Mido. :allears:'

v WHAT WILL YOU DO??

El Belmondo fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 13, 2013

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

El Belmondo posted:

I'm so satisfied with the English voice for Mido. :allears:

ARE YOU SURE?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Levantine posted:

And they totally came through, within 24 hours even! Nintendo gets a big thumbs up on their support.

After reading this post, I was reminded that I wanted to email them about my situation, but then I read the page about the offer on their website again. I imagine other people also had their FE surveys expire and asked them about it, because the page now specifically addresses that and says we'll still qualify for the offer, so that's pretty nice.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Radish posted:

Jesus Christ please just randomly scream into your mic and blow out my speakers. I like how she just attacks everything and dies over and over and then refuses to use easy mode or even get more demons and then just screams more.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, I got the game (Check your local Mom and Pop Game Stores! If you live in the LA area in SoCal, PM me and I will tell you where I got mine!) and played through the first few quests. A few scattered thoughts:

- While town navigation and conversations are more reminiscent of SMT1,2, and SJ, I love the pure style everything has.
- After suffering through Persona 4 Golden's intro (yes i know there was a scene skip shut up), the brevity of the time when you start the game to when you go into the first dungeon is refreshing.
- Very slight intro spoilers: Your so-called 'childhood friend' doesn't seem like much of one. He didn't even say anything like "We will BOTH be Samurai!", just "I will become a Samurai! As for you...well, FYGM". Unless something happens, I won't miss him once he inevitably turns evil.
- I am pretty sure the very first fight was scripted, because everything after that is basically trial by fire. On the plus side it is a nice way to introduce Charon!
- The fights look MUCH better in motion than in the screenshots.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 13, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
For people that have already finished the Japanese version of the game: What are the New Game+ rules in this one?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

- I am pretty sure the very first fight was scripted, because everything after that is basically trial by fire. On the plus side it is a nice way to introduce Charon!

Nope. You never have to die. If you died there it was your own mistake. You can get through the entire game without ever once meeting Charon. Slime is weak to physical.

jonjonaug posted:

For people that have already finished the Japanese version of the game: What are the New Game+ rules in this one?

There are two NG+s

One is a "carry everything over" NG+
The other is a "fresh" NG+. You revert to level 1 but keep your Compendium, your unlocked Skill slots for your character and demons, and the one demon you have tied to Streetpass.

Both NG+s unlock Hard mode.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 13, 2013

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. You never have to die.

Hm, I think I was unclear. I meant to say that the first fight was easy in comparison to the rest of the fights in the dungeon in order to ease you into the battle system. Same with the first negotiation, come to think of it. Everything after that is "Oh god everything can wipe half my health in one hit and the drat fairy wants all my maccas"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Hm, I think I was unclear. I meant to say that the first fight was easy in comparison to the rest of the fights in the dungeon in order to ease you into the battle system. Same with the first negotiation, come to think of it. Everything after that is "Oh god everything can wipe half my health in one hit and the drat fairy wants all my maccas"

Aah, misunderstood. Sorry.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Maybe someday we'll get a Persona game that's really gritty, dark, and urban again. :smith:

Never. Don't mess with my animes. :colbert:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

PonchAxis posted:

Never. Don't mess with my animes. :colbert:

In all seriousness, I do not think they will give up their foothold in the Creepy Otaku market, as fun as it would be to see. And I say this as someone who loves Persona 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

ImpAtom posted:

Both NG+s unlock Hard mode.

Now for hardmode, is it made with NG+ in mind? Or if you just NG+ with all your old stuff, will you completely steam roll it?

• Locked thread