Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
This is kind of a mess of a chatlog, but I think we found a bug (bolded the obvious parts)

quote:

Last chance round: Each player may bet 2 gold to claim a higher hand, but it's optional; they also may simply pass.
EldritchCarp chooses not to claim any abilities.
WorthyPeacock's last chance to upgrade their bet.
WorthyPeacock passes.
EldritchCarp's last chance to upgrade their bet.
EldritchCarp passes.
Now challenging WorthyPeacock, who has the sole highest claimed hand: Full House
EldritchCarp's turn to challenge.
EldritchCarp challenges!

SpicyPelican: is a straight flush really harder odds than five of a kind
WorthyPeacock reveals: r10
EldritchCarp pays 12 gold to WorthyPeacock.
WorthyPeacock wins the gambit!
WorthyPeacock collects 28 gold from the pot.
WorthyPeacock fooled everybody! WorthyPeacock reveals their hand: r10, p5
In recognition of WorthyPeacock's daring deception, the red Panda Lord, Waggles, joins WorthyPeacock's side!
(Waggles is the only Panda Lord in this implementation of Pandante.)

WorthyPeacock won or tied this gambit, and must take a free breakfast next gambit.
SpicyPelican's turn to choose whether to keep their hand or take breakfast next gambit.
SpicyPelican: oh i guess this game has six suits
[16:25] WorthyPeacock: lol i have no idea what just happened
SpicyPelican discards their hand.
EldritchCarp's turn to choose whether to keep their hand or take breakfast next gambit.
EldritchCarp keeps their hand.
All cards are shuffled back into the deck, except cards held by players who kept their hands.
** GAMBIT 2 START **
WorthyPeacock receives the dealer button.
SpicyPelican buys a new hand.
WorthyPeacock receives a new hand.
Each player antes 1 gold.
The Splash yields: o1, p6, p9
SpicyPelican's turn to bet.
SpicyPelican bets Three of a Kind.
EldritchCarp's turn to bet.
EldritchCarp: wait i thought i called you on that
EldritchCarp: WHAT the
WorthyPeacock: wait i won??
WorthyPeacock: i did not have a full house
EldritchCarp: yeah and i challenged

[16:26] EldritchCarp: maybe it's a bug, i'll Post About It

e: Also it just crashed when I got called on a bet.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Countblanc posted:

This is kind of a mess of a chatlog, but I think we found a bug (bolded the obvious parts)

Okay I managed to reproduce the crash (not intentionally =P). Investigating now.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Countblanc posted:

Full House detection has been fixed. I'm still investigating the crash, which happens pretty frequently. (I don't think it has anything to do with Full Houses.)

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
It seemed to be crashing whenever it got folded to the last player during showdown, and I think I've fixed it.

So come play a game of Pandante!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Neat, thanks Xom.

In recognition of Troq receiving his Yomi card art a few weeks back, I'd like to offer

Chip Tips: Safe Keeping

Puzzle Strike: Shadows

So, to start, what are Safe Keeping's basic functions? Cost 1 - nobody will ever have trouble affording it. Brown banner - the most common banner and most common colored arrow. Black arrow - the best arrow for unlimited freedom in your next part of a combo. Pig - I babbled at length about pigs re: Secret Move, so suffice it to say the pig smooths out the randomness of drawing each turn's chips. Take all that together and you see the first use for Safe Keeping: bargain-bin combo enabler. Many, many characters have chips that give them brown arrows. All of these characters appreciate a way to chain those brown arrows into Crashes. If you're one of those characters and you're poor / the enemy is playing economic disruption / the bank lacks other options (this happens!) picking up a Safe Keeping can pay off. Even if you're not looking to "wash" a brown arrow you might want a single Safe Keeping for that pig - the all-purposes arrow means you're not detracting from your combo to do it. Do a combo now, pig up another one for later, usual pig stuff. Nothing awe-inspiring but it is only a 1-cost chip!

OK, what about its unique aspect? Safe Keeping lets you put a 1-gem from your gem pile into your bag. Deckbuilding 101 time: that is bad, generally speaking. 1-gems are extremely low-value chips. You might increase your average money-per-hand by adding 1-gems but your gains will be miniscule at best and your later game will suffer that little bit much more with every addition. So why do it? Well, the blindingly obvious reason is to prevent imminent death. I do not advise buying Safe Keeping with intent to use as an emergency escape, though. A Crash Gem will save you just as well most of the time while giving you a dollar and not putting your later game at risk. Yeah, Safe Keeping is cheaper and buyable when playing under a no-orbs restriction, but if you're buying Safe Keepings to stay alive and can't afford Crashes you're in quicksand already.

Safe Keeping should be bought for its less blindingly obvious uses, which all come from interaction with other chips. What can you do with a smaller pile? You can play Bang Then Fizzle - that chip's got enough power that it could justify fattening your deck with 1s. Try this particularly with Bal-Bas-Beta and Upgrading the gained 1-gems into something else (It's A Trap is beautiful for keeping your deck size constant here). Against Persephone when no immunity blue is available, you can Keep Safe from her Command; adding a 1-gem in your bag beats the wound she'll give you, at a minimum! As Quince, you can try to manipulate your continued Patriot Mirror. Any time you've got a need to fine-tune your pile size, Safe Keeping is there, and won't end your combo like Crashes.

What can you do with more 1-gems? You can fuel Gem Essence, a very powerful fork, or It's Combo Time, a tremendous draw effect. Admittedly, both of those tend to be fueled well enough on the six 1-gems you start with, but sometimes you need more. Plus if you can effectively shed the gained gems via Gem Essence or a character effect, you can play Safe Keeping to shrink your pile in non-lethal situations just to slow down the pace of the game and let your long-term game ripen.

So the verdict on Safe Keeping is that it's quite situational. It's unlikely you want more than one, and not every character wants that one in every game. That said, let's tie this back to the introduction - Safe Keeping is best in TROQ's hands. Wait, you say, but Troq already gets a pig through Beast Unleashed? And Troq needs a high pile to use Beast Unleashed? And Troq can already turn a pile gem into a deck gem? All true. But Troq also has two strong chips with brown arrows that desperately need cleaning up. And he sometimes needs a real cheap way to do that as he aggressively Giant Growths away his money. And Giant Growth in conjunction with Safe Keeping and some More Shiny gives him an uncanny ability to engineer his pile size however he likes - they're effects worth stacking and can open up new avenues for Troq players fighting long games. No one else has brown arrows and a way to dispose of gems, so nobody else Keeps it Safe like Troq.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 19, 2014

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey everyone!

They're offering a :siren:FREE PLAY WEEKEND:siren: on the three Fantasy Strike games on the website this weekend. Play them as much as you like with no character restrictions at all. They're good games! Use them! I think it would be a great opportunity for a goon tournament or something but I cannot participate.

Also, Vendetta has his new Yomi card art. I'm more interested in the buffs they preview. His Wall Dive Loop attack side is a combo starter now!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

Hey everyone!

They're offering a :siren:FREE PLAY WEEKEND:siren: on the three Fantasy Strike games on the website this weekend. Play them as much as you like with no character restrictions at all. They're good games! Use them! I think it would be a great opportunity for a goon tournament or something but I cannot participate.

Also, Vendetta has his new Yomi card art. I'm more interested in the buffs they preview. His Wall Dive Loop attack side is a combo starter now!

That's cool. Especially the Vendetta bit; Vendetta used to be pretty weak.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh word, my account just expired too so this is a nice little gift. I still wish they'd get Zane's art done though, but I understand putting it off because, I mean, what could possibly live up to MAXIMUM ANARCHY?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's on now! They must go by GMT or something.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've seen it said a couple of places that super attacks are a large part of Yomi's issues with variance. I don't think they're so bad on any character with "average" supers that do 10 damage per card but it's true that certain supers with high damage/card efficiency or high absolute damage values - Grave's notorious high-speed, combo-able 45-for-3-cards super, Menelker / Rook / Midori's 50+ damage ultra-throws, Zane's perfect speed, 50 damage Maximum Anarchy - can completely dominate a game and make it feel swingy. Typically the fact your enemy has "It" is broadcast through Gold Bursts and powering up, letting you try to play around It, but from time to time you get blindsided. Not many things in Yomi suck like getting True Power'd first turn because come on really you got three Aces opening hand???

So fellow Yomi players, what would you think of a tiny change to the game's system-wide rules so that you track "super meter?" Next to your life tracker you simply mark a track 0 to 4, indicating to your opponent how many Aces you have in hand. Pro: more fighting game-like because you can see super meter in real fighting games, never have a crappy game from SURPRISE 55 DAMAGE! Con: you tell me, I am stupid. Perhaps some characters dearly need that surprise?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't think anyone needs the surprise, and if they did then some rebalancing and tweaking might be in order, but I also don't think it really hurts that bad (perhaps because I simply haven't had it happen enough times). A super meter could fix it, but I also think that letting your opponent know that 3 of your 7 starting cards are one thing (or later on, when 1 of your 2) is a pretty big deal and I'm not sure how much I like it. Really, I think the best fix is shortening the game timer online and defaulting to a 2 out of 3 format.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah, a problem about the super meter is that it's a huge tell about your hand - and a fairly unnecessary one as well, since it's often pretty easy to tell when someone's got a super in hand. (Oh look at me, I'm a pro player even though I haven't played in, what, a year?)

Three or four aces is a big investment, so people are usually pretty careful about when they deploy big supers. Even if one hits, you usually cede card advantage to the opponent - and you still need to kill the other guy. Because the supers often compensate for some shortcoming in the deck, playing them comes with a serious opportunity cost: Laying down a naked TPoS, for instance, means Grave loses his best throw follow-up, since he probably can't combo into True Spark Arc any more. Other big supers come with similar downsides: Midori's Ace is one of his fastest humanform attacks, Rook's ace is his fastest attack period, and so on. This way, it's even possible to coerce the opponent into playing their Aces before they've got The Big One ready, by focusing on that weakness.

But if you get killed with a big super "out of nowhere", I'm sorry, but that's your fault. If you're at 43 hit points, unless your hand is actively obstructing you (variance! :argh:) there's no excuse for not playing around the 45-damage lightning elephant in the living room until you can confirm if they have it or not. Most cases, you're pretty unlikely to actually die (at least for a while) if you mindlessly spam the option the Big One loses to, so just block Grave until he whips out an Ace. With a hand full of True Power, Grave can't really punish you for "just blocking" him without giving up the TPoS, the best he can do is throw you and force a KD mixup into super. Kind of bad, but less bad than eating the super! Stay calm and hold down-back.

There are also tells to see if they really do have a super or not. The most obvious is, of course, searching for Aces. (Always keep track of Aces.) The second most obvious is suddenly dodging a lot in the middle of the game. Seeing Grave dodge is usually enough for me to back the gently caress off and reassess the situation, because without TPoS, Grave doesn't have any reason to dodge if he can play blocks or Dragonhearts instead. The same goes for many other characters as well, since there simply aren't very many good dodge options. Playing normals at odd times is another good reason to think for a moment: They're edging for some kind of big combo, and you probably don't want to eat it even if it's not a super.

And finally, hand size is a good indicator. Could they plausibly have a super hiding in there all quiet-like? If the game's been going for a while and they've got a big hand, probably. Are they playing defensively (especially poking with fast attacks) with a big hand? It might mean they don't have big combos in hand - but is that because their hand is clogged full of throws (variaaaaaaaance! :argh:) or because they've got a big super? If, on the other hand, they're dropping fast combo starters, it's a sign they're angling for consistent damage combos - which means they probably don't have a super in there.

I spent way too long typing all that out. I hope it's at least slightly coherent.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dude competent posts like that are what I was hoping for when I started the thread. Good input. I have improved my game personally by just always assuming my enemy has one more Ace than I know about in his hand. My thinking was that the super meter would be a nice bit of flavor that wouldn't matter much later game as you likely know about the Aces anyway. It was aimed more at that turn 2 TPoS surprise. Good input, though, good input, you make sound points.

In the news of little updates, Zane's art is released. It's quite normal for Mr. Silly Wacky Anarchy Times! Menelker may be next - the online client features his Ace art, though not the others yet.

In news of bigger updates, Yomi's new rulebook has been released! :siren: It features the official 2v2 mode :siren:, as well as a "King of Fighters" 3v3-but-one-at-a-time mode, and a 2v1 mode where the one gets massive buffs to be a boss character. Will these game modes stack up to the stuff BattleCON offers? Who knows!

Link: http://www.sirlin.net/yomi/rules

In more news, Sirlin commented the other day on the forums that he feels Yomi 2.0 is essentially done - with only 2 characters' worth of art to reveal to the world as well, perhaps the Kickstarter is closer than we thought.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 17, 2014

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Menelker's art is out now, leaving only Persephone incomplete. They chose to illustrate the attack side of Menelker's Ace. Not the eye-popping ultra-throw with the most raw damage of anything in the game. What. And his K, uh, isn't awe-inspiring. I like Yomi's art but a lot of the new stuff in the expansion has left me kind of cold.

I will have to cook up some thoughts on Puzzle Strike to compensate for this deficiency.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Haha, what the heck? The J and Q are wonderful, but that K is the worst. When I saw that he had an attack called "Sweeping Claws" I figured it was him, like, slashing with a giant chi-energy-whatever dragon claw over his hand, not growing some gross-rear end crow foot and showing off his spinning bird kick. The Ace at least looks nice, but I have no idea how they didn't draw the throw; Maybe they couldn't come up with a way to have it look like Raging Demon without having it just be Raging Demon straight up.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I would have prefered an Oni-like (speaking in SF terms) claw rather than an Akuma hurricane kick, but it's obvious that both have thematic foundations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Chip Tips: Training Day and Chips for Free

Puzzle Strike: 3rd Edition and Puzzle Strike: Shadows, respectively

A two-fer today fer the two "training" puzzle chips. They're both brown banner chips that share the same fundamental purpose: you play them to transform another chip you own into something more powerful. You'll notice that at a minimum you can use them to build your economy through investment like an honest free market capitalist. Each successive gem chip costs 2 more than the one before it, so grow 1s into 2s, 2s into 3s, and 3s into 4s, and someday you'll be quite rich! But the truth of modern capitalism is that waiting and working hard to get rich is for suckers. See, you'll also notice that a Double Crash Gem costs 2 more than a 4-gem. Training chips are thus quite valuable to an economic gameplan. Rushing to purchase a 4-gem is not terribly difficult for many economic characters, but even with the 4-gem getting 9 purchasing power together for the Double Crash can be a bit tricky. Depends on whether you draw the 4 with the right other money options. These training effects will obviously cost you the 4-gem short term but will likely get you a DCG faster than keeping the 4 and spending time buying more money chips to boost your odds of the right draw. That DCG will then offer great defense vs. rush while you rebuild your money - its +$2 per use being particularly helpful - or may just let you take the offensive!

So growing your money and turning it into DCGs is Basic Training. You can also, of course, turn things into new puzzle chips or purples. Wounds or 1-gems can become self-trashing chips like It's a Trap and Button Mashing for some gradual but effective deck slimming. With a hand including a 2-gem, a trainer, and a smattering of little money chips, you might be able to train the 2 into a Combine and still buy another Combine for a sudden spike in purple density. As for puzzle chips, most are designed to be desirable, so you may not see the point in training them away. I mean, obviously. If you didn't want them in your deck you'd never buy them to start with and the game would be far weaker (*cough* early editions *cough*). But some are situational. Train Gem Essence into a Crash once you've emptied out your 1-gems, or Bang Then Fizzle into a Combine once your pile swells. Obviously, any character with a restriction on his ability to buy purple chips should consider using trainers as a way to gain purples. As for the less situational puzzle chips, don't forget that you are not forced to get something worth precisely 2 more! 0 more and 1 more are valid as well, as in my above aside about making a 2-gem into a Combine (you may not go lower than the starting chip's value, however). You will often have many choices. Sure, that Mix Master has been doing good work for you - but maybe a One-Two Punch is more useful to future plans?

The two trainers share another trait: they both crave extra actions. This segues into the differences between them. Chips for Free is like all draw effects: unwise when you can't use arrows to play high-value chips you draw or pigs to retain them. An economic character who accidentally forgoes his Crash for a cycle due to a foolish draw effect might have just killed himself. Training Day is better off. Notice that Training Day puts the new chip in your hand. That means you can use Training Day's pig to play it next turn, which is a nice thought but rarely something I do (it also means Training Day is better at the gem-growing money game than Chips for Free). What it really means is that if you have multiple actions, you can Training Day into a desirable bank chip and play that sumbitch right away! I've won games where I had a full pile and my hand looked like death: Training Day, One-Two Punch, gems. One-Two Punch into Training Day (gem -> Crash) and Crash and boom I'm alive! Other shenanigans are limited only by the bank and its price relationships with your hand.

So Training Day becomes kickass with arrows while Chips for Free simply is less foolish, and Training Day gives you options for using your new material quickly while Chips for Free kicks it to discard. Not to mention that Training Day is easy for any hand to buy but Chips for Free's cost is more awkward than you'd think. What's Chips for Free got going for it? Well, first, it's not entirely true that arrows just make it "less stupid." Draw effects + arrows are still mighty good. They speed up your deck where Training Day's pig slows you down, and the former is typically stronger. Also, the draw effect gives you more choices for what to train away, which might be nice if you have a particular target in mind like an outdated Bang Then Fizzle. The real juicy part is that CFF lets you train away purple orb chips. It's quite rare that you'd want to toss your hard-won Combines and if you train away a Double Crash I'll slap you in the face (not that anything else cost 9 to 11 exists anyway). But that Crash Gem everyone starts with...ah, that makes possibilities. Turn that into a 4-gem, the most common play, and you're ahead of the curve on the growing-gems-into-DCGs game. Turning your only defense into money early game is committing to an economic playstyle 110% and can pay off or backfire accordingly. You're suddenly rich, but your enemy knows he can crash whatever the hell he likes at you without fear of a tempo-killing counter. For best results play a character with an innate purple shield or pick up some form of gem control from the bank like Gems to Gemonade or Dashing Strike. Turning the Crash Gem into a Combos are Hard is even better! You'll never die before firing off that CaH and when you do you're proud owner of a Double Crash Gem AND a 4-gem/Combine/hot puzzle chip!* You may also get some decent results kick-starting your engine if you turn the Crash into a Roundhouse, Axe Kick, Punch Punch Kick, or X-Copy, but in those cases you're definitely watching your rear end about getting a new Crash in time.

*Bal-Bas-Beta should probably counterpick out CFF in tournament play for that very reason - no sense letting opponents clone his best move while still having all their personal powers available.

Many Fantasy Strike characters are supposed to be intense martial artists but nobody likes training better than SETSUKI! This goes for BOTH chips. She's got an innate action fork that lets her maximize the trainers as discussed above. She's got Bag of Tricks to throw out a pig as a second way to use Chips for Free safely. And, oh, right, Double Take. Setsuki's Double Take-Chips for Free shenanigans are legend. Drawing four chips immediately before ending your turn isn't such a big deal when you just drew four chips and maybe more with character powers, thus meaning you're about to reshuffle the whole lot anyway! It's just more buying power! When she burns her Crash to get a 4-gem this ability to speed through the deck lets her turn the 4 into the Double Crash very quickly. As for Training Day, putting the trained chip in hand means training it twice! You'll crawl up the gem-size ladder pretty quickly doing that...or how does instantly morphing a 1-gem into One of Each sound? Lastly, I forgot to mention above that the trainers are themselves situational - a point is likely to come where you have no particular desire to train up anything else. Well, Double Take trashes the chip it targets, so no worries!

Hey, declaring Setsuki the best user seems almost unfair. She's a contender for "best user" with, like, every puzzle chip thanks to Double Take. I made it a point in previous articles to find chips over which she COULDN'T claim total mastery. So, for sake of spice, if someone wants to argue why another character can use a trainer chip better than her, let's hear it! I'm thinking Gwen, Vendetta, Valerie, Zane, or Onimaru...?

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 19, 2014

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone with a fork, but since I'm biased I'll say Grave since he already has a trainer chip in Martial Mastery when he starts. Add that to his natural increased chip draw from Reversal and Versatile style and you can usually train something useless and draw it if you can get enough actions.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
One, how do I do that thing to make a link to a post so I can put my masturbatory Puzzle Strike posts together after the OP?

Two, would someone like to step up and offer Flash Duel character synopses for the OP's betterment? I'd be looking for two to four sentences of outlining styles and strategies is all, like I did for the other games.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

SuperKlaus posted:

One, how do I do that thing to make a link to a post so I can put my masturbatory Puzzle Strike posts together after the OP?

Two, would someone like to step up and offer Flash Duel character synopses for the OP's betterment? I'd be looking for two to four sentences of outlining styles and strategies is all, like I did for the other games.

Underneath the avatar and username in a post, there's a little button with a # symbol, that has a link to that post. Right click on it and you can copy the url.

Mister Morn
Feb 9, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hey, guys. Just to quickly shill, I'm hosting a Yomi tournament with Fantasy Strike money on the line tomorrow. If you like that game, feel free to come play and take my money.

http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/mornament-2-positively-yomid.9039/

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Persephone, the last character to be unveiled, now has her art up for viewing. I can officially say now that the JQK arts for all expansion characters are known: they are poor. Nothing in Persephone's specials really bothers me - I actually kind of like her derp derp happiness in Q - but the anatomy and posing are just not right. Check her head on K. I feel like we've persistently seen a lower quality of product on the expansion JQK compared to core :(

The Aces have delivered though. Shame the Ace guy was probably too expensive / slow to do them all. We may have avoided the tragedies of Menelker K and Gwen Q.

Also Fantasy Strike Expo 2014 is announced. Yep.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That Ace is crazy-good, as most of the others have been. I still can't believe they didn't illustrate Deathstrike Dragon or MAXIMUM ANARCHY though. Also ahahahaha loving Sirlin, didn't the last expo have, like, 30 people?

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

Also ahahahaha loving Sirlin, didn't the last expo have, like, 30 people?

I was one of those 30 people. :smith:

Codex was loving terrible.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Can you spill the beans about it? I'm easily hyped, so Sirlin going "it'll be the best thing!" got my hopes up.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

Can you spill the beans about it? I'm easily hyped, so Sirlin going "it'll be the best thing!" got my hopes up.

It plays like a CCG, so if you've played Magic or similar card games the format should be familiar. If not, you're basically building up resources to use as the game goes on to summon more powerful cards. The main differences in Codex are that you build your deck as you play from a stable of cards outside of your deck that you gain access to through a tech tree, and that the game will be entirely self-contained with pre-made decks which represent a fighting school that the Fantasy Strike characters belong to. The deck I played had Rook and Grave as its generals if I remember correctly. The "Card Time Strategy" comes through in the tech tree and resource management, as well as the overall presentation of the game.

In the games I played neither of us ever got past the second level of the tech tree before the game was over (out of 4 or 5, can't remember), and it felt really awkward and clumsy looking through a binder of cards after every turn to find what I wanted to put in my deck. I played a very early version of the game though, so the finished product will definitely play better, and like all of his games it'll get better the more familiar you are with the game. I just couldn't see myself playing the game long enough to enjoy it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

Also ahahahaha loving Sirlin, didn't the last expo have, like, 30 people?

The photos they selected don't inspire awe...regardless, if I can find my khaki shorts to match my socks so I'm appropriately dressed for the Pizza Hut dinner, I may actually attend. It's very convenient for me (can't imagine anyone traveling far for this).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

That sounds kinda cute, I hope he gets the mechanics figured out. Games with tech trees are only fun if you can get deep into them, so if it's consistently ending before the second tier that's obviously a problem. Could you elaborate on the premade decks part? Is your starting 10 cards (to use Dominion numbers) based on which characters' deck you pick? I guess that's basically what he did with Puzzle Strike, now that I think about it.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

That sounds kinda cute, I hope he gets the mechanics figured out. Games with tech trees are only fun if you can get deep into them, so if it's consistently ending before the second tier that's obviously a problem. Could you elaborate on the premade decks part? Is your starting 10 cards (to use Dominion numbers) based on which characters' deck you pick? I guess that's basically what he did with Puzzle Strike, now that I think about it.

The game contained 4 different schools you could play as whose entire set of cards were contained in a binder. Your starting deck was a base set of cards for that school, and you added to it by buying new cards out of the binder at the end of turns and adding it to your discard.

It's more like Yomi in the fact that you get the entire set of school's cards in one package, so he'll probably end up selling individual schools and a collected set like Yomi.

Chekans 3 16 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 3, 2014

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
So you're looking through a binder like in Mage Wars? In Mage Wars the spellbooks were very thematic but honestly a bit annoying so I can see where you're coming from.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

SuperKlaus posted:

So you're looking through a binder like in Mage Wars? In Mage Wars the spellbooks were very thematic but honestly a bit annoying so I can see where you're coming from.

Yeah. No idea if that's the final storage solution though. These were all cheap printed cards with placeholder art. Familiarity with the schools would make looking for cards for specific situations way better, but I don't think I'd be able to get into it with how close the gameplay was to Magic: The Gathering.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Chip Tips: It's a Trap

Puzzle Strike, 3rd Edition

I would begin this post with a picture of Admiral Ackbar but I'm pretty sure that'd get me banned, so let's just discuss Puzzle Strike's most memetically-named chip. Not much to say about the basic functions here: as a brown banner chip it's part of the largest banner family by a wide margin, at only 2 cost it is a mighty rare draw that cannot afford to purchase a copy so the chip is equally accessible to all characters, and the black arrow lets you play this incidental to pretty much any other plan or chain-empower another chip's brown arrow. For those reasons you can never really go wrong purchasing It's a Trap on those turns when you have a smallish buy and/or nothing in the bank appeals to your current goals.

It is actually quite a smart decision in those "treading water" situations, likely beating the hell out of a 1-gem for the simple reason that it destroys itself when played. Granted it will occupy a space in your future hand and doesn't offer chip draw to compensate for that, but after you play it the net effect is still that your deck size stabilizes instead of slowly swelling under pressure of forced buy. Also, as observed in my post on the trainer chips, any effect that lets you morph 1-gems into It's a Trap can allow you some slow but sure deck-slimming. Pretty decent. You can just set the trap on the stack of Wounds when you've no better idea*.

Now of course it's much preferable to buy It's a Trap when you do have a better idea; I mean, laying traps is kind of the actual point here. So the trap means that each time someone buys a chip from the targeted stack he gains a wound. A nice punishment. Ooh, and you can lay multiple traps on a single stack. The thing is though that you are not immune to your own trap(s). So there's not really any one thing that is always a good idea to trap - it will always depend on your character and the enemy. However, there are trendy targets just going by where you sit on the "Rush < Defense < Econ" triangle of strategies:

1. Rush. Rush has trouble with defensive play. Trap anything with a purple shield on it. That means Gems to Gemonade, Double Crash Gem (you probably aren't affording one until you've practically won anyway), and even normal Crash Gem. The other guy probably wants extra Crashes more than you do, so make him take damage that will stunt his efforts to out-develop you. It would be a great thing if you can scare him off purple shields to the point that you can crash without fear of counter! And if you want one more Crash Gem you can probably just accept the wound; your long game is expected to blow anyhow.

Also you obviously trap puzzle chips that might help the enemy control pile. Safe Keeping, Dashing Strike, and Iron Defense come to mind.

2. Defense. Defense is considered weak to econ. Trap the pricey crap to try and force the development game down to a level you can win. 4- and 3-gems, Roundhouses, Option Select, Double Crash Gems. It's tough in some banks to cover all the things an econ opponent might want to go for, so it's best to focus on things you expect him to buy repeatedly like the items listed above. Yeah, making him take a wound for buying The Hammer will feel good, but it's one wound and you're still facing down The Hammer, you know?

3. Econ. Well, here's the thing. Wounds do harm each time they are drawn, and are therefore worst for long-game strategies, so econ characters are not overly interested in trap-laying. Their buys should be going to fancier things anyhow. Econ is weak to rush, and rush loves Combines, so trapping and double-trapping Combines can be very productive, salting the trap-wounds with the -$1 Combine penalty and pushing rushers into a death spiral...but the thing about Combines is everybody needs a few. Don't heavily trap the Combines unless you have a game plan that ignores them or gets them another way (see below).

4. Also, everyone. You can always trap the It's a Traps and try to opt out of this poo poo. Even doing it once will prevent anyone from deck-stabilizing as described above. And anyone adding red chips to his game will like trapping blue shield chips.

*And at this point I'd note that trapping the Wound stack is funny as hell when paired with disruptive strategies that force your enemy into buying wounds ('sup Chip Damage.)

It's a Trap is one of those chips that affects "buying" chips, so there's a quirk to observe. When you use a trainer effect to turn something into a trapped chip or otherwise tap into a chip without "buying" it (Combos are Hard, Onimaru's Wartime Tactics, etc.) you do not trigger the trap. So, what I just said about trapping the It's a Traps to prevent stabilizing works, but you can't do that to keep a guy with a trainer from thinning. You can also sneak around your own traps if you're someone like Grave with an innate trainer, making the chip far more useful. And, naturally, if you have innate ability to trash wounds somehow, you will get way more use from this chip than your enemy. Maybe you can even trap mutually desired chips and dive headlong into the trap, knowing you can cope with it long-term and the other guy can't.

BAL-BAS-BETA is best at traps, though others are competitive (notably Jaina). He delights in this chip, though he has no brown arrow for it to clean (like she does). He meets its price without effort due to his +$1 chips, but why would he buy it? He can Upgrade his starting 1-gems into It's a Traps, and from there Upgrade further or slimdeck as he desires. He is not good at buying purples or expensive chips anyway, so gently caress it, trap 'em heavily. He can happily buy whatever he traps because he can Upgrade the wound into a 1-gem...and the 1-gem into another It's a Trap! Or, again, why would he buy anything? Upgrade lets him sneak into the trapped stacks and make off with the goods scot-free. 10 IF BAL-BAS-BETA GOTO 20. 20 USE IT'S A TRAP.

Lastly, no takers on offering Flash Duel character overviews? I'm verbose but I can't do that.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 19, 2014

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I would but I haven't played nearly enough Flash Duel. :shrug:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Maybe a silly question, but how much should I care about owning 3rd edition of Puzzle Strike? I bought 1st many, many moons ago and sorta forgot about it but have been interested in revisiting it; Is first edition worth playing, and is it compatible with Shadows? I just really don't want to fork over $60 for what seems like a product I mostly own already.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

Maybe a silly question, but how much should I care about owning 3rd edition of Puzzle Strike? I bought 1st many, many moons ago and sorta forgot about it but have been interested in revisiting it; Is first edition worth playing, and is it compatible with Shadows? I just really don't want to fork over $60 for what seems like a product I mostly own already.

I'm not too familiar with 1st but the only changes between 1st and 2nd were material right? If so yes, 1st and 2nd edition Puzzle Strike are definitely worthwhile on their own. The bank chips are fine, and the only thing you should consider removing is Midori and Valerie. 2nd edition Midori is terrible and too underpowered to be able to play well against the other characters. Valerie is the opposite, as Burst of Speed makes her completely overpowered comparatively. It should work pretty well with Shadows, only keep in mind that a lot of the characters had small changes based around the new Combine. I've played several games with my 2nd edition set and Shadows and haven't really had a problem with it.

If you can find a deal on 3rd, go for it. If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The only reason I'm ordering a third edition set is that I have some Game Salute volunteer credit I need to spend, and their line up of games isn't the greatest.

Edit: Are your chips wood?

Chekans 3 16 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 20, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nah, cardboard. Which I suppose is a blessing in disguise, since it means it'll place nice with Shadows.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

Nah, cardboard. Which I suppose is a blessing in disguise, since it means it'll place nice with Shadows.

Yeah, you have 2nd edition then. If you want a cheaper alternative just try to track down an Upgrade pack, it brings all the characters to a pretty good balance and the mats that come with it are a lot better quality than the ones offered with 3rd. Also Custom Combo comes with it. :D

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Yeah, you have 2nd edition then. If you want a cheaper alternative just try to track down an Upgrade pack, it brings all the characters to a pretty good balance and the mats that come with it are a lot better quality than the ones offered with 3rd. Also Custom Combo comes with it. :D

This. 3rd Edition is superior to 2nd Edition but A) I certainly respect wanting to play 2nd and develop a taste for the game before buying 3rd (2nd got me into my Puzzle Strike fanaticism after all), B) 2nd is a strong game experience and upgraded 2nd is indeed stronger while saving money vs. 3rd, and C) the mousepad-style mats in that upgrade pack are splendid.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yomi is finally coming to iPads next week! Could this be a shot in the arm for the game's recognition? Yeah, could, probably won't. iPad owners: is $9.99 a lot of money for an iPad game? I feel like any failure of Yomi among the boardgame userbase is due mostly to sticker shock (see the general chat thread - BattleCON persistently takes the newbies because it costs less dollars), and I would not want to see the game flounder on the big mobile market for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
drat, that looks pretty sick, no lie. I wish I had an iPad. :<

• Locked thread