Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kittle posted:

Sirlin's confirmed the kickstarter will be this month :D

Ha, nice avatar dude. I gave the OP a little update, condensing the Yomi 1e and 2e entries together in recognition of the coming physical release.

Also yeah the Print and Play is pretty good. I also once played with someone who had it and it did fine. It'll save you some money, that's for sure.

And I quite like PS Lum! He never feels dependent on the bank to me, because while he'll thrive more with some chips (Dashing Strike, Hundred Fist Frenzy + any chainable red), Panda's Bargain is just so liberal in its effect you are sure to find something nifty to work out. I think I only ever felt hosed as PS Lum once, when the bank had like every single blue chip in it and a smattering of random enders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
To be fair, I always do poorly in a forkless bank because I'm overzealous about enders and pigs.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sirlin/yomi
hooray :)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
EX Powerup looks pretty neat! What a pleasant surprise that there is new material in the Kickstarter, and new full-art cards with it! I must say it's super weird though that he won't give every character EX unless he hits $100,000. Like it's not even about game balance, he admits they don't really know or care how "fair" EX is, but it would just be bizarre for some characters to get left out of a neat extra gameplay option.

Fortunately it appears $100,000 is likely to happen, as it's at near $60,000 after a day. Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, I don't see anything in the pledge pricing schemes to suggest to me I'm saving any money over retail.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It seems like the kickstarter advantage is getting the full game early. Which definitely isn't the same as a discount, but it's an advantage. Sirlin's kickstarters have always seemed to be more about getting the product out there period instead of a preorder system though.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah I guess. It just catches me sometimes how he presents the non-deals. Check out the highest tier, $330 for all Yomi and Pandante Deluxe w/ Kickstarter benefits. He lists that you get those things, and then closes it with a "WOW!" "WOW" what, fool? "WOW" that I get more stuff if I pay more money? Yeah that's really eye-popping that I can pay $330 for those items instead of paying 100 for Yomi, 100 for Yomi 2, 40 for EX Powerup, and 90 for Pandante Deluxe. WOW!

I am not calling any of the items overpriced at retail (except maybe EX). I'm pretty likely to get the whole Yomi + EX set. Dude just has no concept of a deal.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I might go in for the updated cards and expansion tier, I don't think the new art is enough to warrant me shelling out another $60-100 for new sets. His video is awful, I couldn't get past 30 seconds because it was so awkward. :cripes:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Chekans 3 16 posted:

I might go in for the updated cards and expansion tier, I don't think the new art is enough to warrant me shelling out another $60-100 for new sets. His video is awful, I couldn't get past 30 seconds because it was so awkward. :cripes:

Sirlin adamantly believes that the quality of a kickstarter has no influence on the amount of money gathered from it. I have no idea if that is factually correct, but its certainly not helping his image.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Sirlin adamantly believes that the quality of a kickstarter has no influence on the amount of money gathered from it. I have no idea if that is factually correct, but its certainly not helping his image.

He said that? It is bad I agree, that video does nothing to sell the game to people that aren't already familiar with Yomi.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kittle posted:

He said that? It is bad I agree, that video does nothing to sell the game to people that aren't already familiar with Yomi.

I'd have to go digging through his forums, but yeah. I'm pretty sure it was during the Pandante kickstarter, but I can't remember which one. In his defense he cited... something, saying that there isn't a notable correlation between video quality and KS success, but that seems like such a difficult thing to rate with the sheer number of variables involved in who is donating to a kickstarter and why.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
The EX Powerup box with the new art of the whole cast looks pretty good. Reminds me that every one of the male characters has facial hair though (and many are serious juicers). Never understood that, and thought it was curiously un-anime-fighting-video-game-like.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
A friend of mine recently reminded me that Yomi existed, so I decided to get back into the game! It's drat hard remembering the exact movesets of every opponent and none of the starter characters jive with me (I really want robo-mans), but it's a drat great game nonetheless.

If the OP is still being update, it's worth noting that a number of the Fantasy Strike characters are based off of characters from Sirlin's old not-quite card game Kongai. Notably, Setsuki is Rumiko, DeGrey is Cornelius, and Onimaru is very obviously Onimaru. There's probably a few more connections in there that are a bit looser (Gloria's playstyle reminds me quite a bit of Juju, and I doubt the similarities in Bal-Bas-Beta's and Balthazar Bomb-Britches' names is a coincidence), but it's been so drat long since I've played Kongai that I don't want to say anything too strong.

On average, how many games does it take to get the gold to unlock a character?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't believe gold can be used to unlock characters permanently any more. That used to be the case but gold today is just Sirlin Funbucks quarters you put in the machine to buy 1 play a pop.

Thanks for your input. I do still work on the OP and am about due to ramble pointlessly about Puzzle Strike. And glad to see you enjoy the games! This is a sleepy little thread.

Speaking of updates I think I will hit the OP again soon...all EX Powerup characters are now revealed on the kickstarter (5 days left)! It looks like a really fun little optional pack, and the card art has generally been excellent and most welcome after some of the WTFs on the Shadows characters. Vendetta and Zane are both pretty sweet. What's up with outright ripping a famous Rorscach quote for EX Vendetta though?

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

SuperKlaus posted:

and the card art has generally been excellent and most welcome after some of the WTFs on the Shadows characters.

Persephone's face cards :eng99: embarassing

Her J in particular- bodies can't twist like that!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Playing games earns tokens (temporary gold). Gold = arcade tokens. Unlocks are something you can buy other than gold.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey so I apologize for being a shill here but Yomi's kickstarter is winding down https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sirlin/yomi

Which I bring up mostly because it has a real chance of hitting 200,000 dollars, and I get more foil aces if it does! So, if anyone's waited to the last second to preorder, this is the last second.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
Whoa it jumped up about $30 000 since I checked it last night :monocle:
194k with 5 hours to go. Is it possible?

edit: yep

Schlub Husband fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 17, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hell yeah, gonna get me some foils that I'll never use since they'd be really obvious shuffled in the deck.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
:saddowns: I didn't even consider that...

VV no, the four free characters were that way as a thing during the duration of the Kickstarter. It's back to one rotating free character now (Gwen at the moment).

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 18, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

In other news, Puzzle Strike's online mode finally has a version of the character thing that makes it easy to teach to new people without having to shell out for a character pack for them. Grave, Midori, Jaina and Setsuki are now always free, with everyone else always taking tokens. I imagine it's similar for the other games on the site, too, but I don't play them online nearly as much as I do PS, since reading your opponent is so crucial for Yomi. (Also, I'm terrible at it.)

It's a good set. Grave is Grave, Jaina's the queen of Rushdown, Midori's an interesting defense/economy dude with clear expectations for how he works, and Setsuki's a nice introduction to making the bank work for you, without being as finnick as someone like Geiger or Lum, or getting you into bad habits like reliance on Valerie can.

Well, that was too good to last.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 19, 2014

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah drat shame. Though I really don't mind the online system. One free guy each day is pretty satisfactory because I like playing almost everyone in the cast - if I don't like their Yomi style, I like their Puzzle Strike style, so I can find a fun game on which to fritter away time in any case. Except for free Quince days because gently caress Quince forever in all formats. And the token system is a sure 2 plays of whatever I please every day, with decent odds for 3 plays, and really the 15-30 minutes of Fantasy Strike game time that represents every day is all I really need.

Case in point, sort of, I was Gwen v Troq on free Gwen day recently. I had him down to 3 life to my 35, with no Giant Growth at all, but I knew he had a 3-Ace payload. Knowing he can Eagle Totem at 1.0 speed, I play Q - he blocks. 33 to 2. I play Q - he blocks. 31 to 1. Out of Qs...hm, nothing left to chip but Burnbarrow and Eagle Totem would trump that...well, I can eat a throw or something, so let's try to bait out that Eagle Totem and kill him on a dodge. Sucker's got 1 life; I'm just mopping up :cool:

Beast Unleashed. Oh...right...my oh-so-safe 2x Q turned that option on...

IT'S ME, I AM THE WORST YOMI PLAYER

Who's got tips for Gwen / Troq MU, from Gwen's side?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Posting mostly to keep this thread from being archived, but who does everyone think is the best "teaching" character aside from Grave?

(Especially for Puzzle Strike)

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Poison Mushroom posted:

Posting mostly to keep this thread from being archived, but who does everyone think is the best "teaching" character aside from Grave?

(Especially for Puzzle Strike)

Don't know about Puzzle Strike, but for Yomi I'd say Geiger or Valerie. Valerie's basic gameplan is fairly simple, while Geiger is easy to hand to someone and say "he's like Guile." He has some more advanced rules built in to his character but they can be ignored until they're more comfortable.

Related, I got my Yomi kickstarter stuff in. The big box holds all 20 base decks, but there's no room for the bonus Ex-Powerup cards or the two Pandante characters. The foil Aces aren't terribly good. They have a pixelated sparkle that makes them hard to see clearly and read. Overall I'm incredibly pleased though!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Geiger is a good teaching character for Puzzle Strike, I feel. Lum is pretty simple to use adequately but he definitely breaks a few rules if you care about that. If you have the expansion I'd also recommend Gloria and weirdly, Zane.

I don't have my KS stuff yet, but I will tomorrow (if this shipping email isn't lying to my face)! Sounds like I ordered the same poo poo as Bosushi, and I'm glad to hear the big box works for pretty much everything. I'm a bit disappointed he opted for foil aces - A thing you'd never actually use because the worst thing for Yomi is cards that you can see if you eyeball your deck - instead of foil character cards, but whatever.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Countblanc posted:

If you have the expansion I'd also recommend Gloria and weirdly, Zane.
Zane actually makes a lot of sense. A "remain unpredictable" character in the hands of an inherently unpredictable new player is a good match.

Personally, I'm not sure if I'd call her the best learning character per se, but I'd say that coming to understand Valerie's flaws and weaknesses is an important part of the learning process. And in the mean time, she FEELS strong, while also secretly teaching the importance of forks and washes.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Bosushi! posted:

Related, I got my Yomi kickstarter stuff in. The big box holds all 20 base decks, but there's no room for the bonus Ex-Powerup cards or the two Pandante characters.
The EX cards are supposed to fit. Lum's tuckbox is even slightly bigger in order to accommodate the item deck:

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Xom posted:

The EX cards are supposed to fit. Lum's tuckbox is even slightly bigger in order to accommodate the item deck:

I'll have to double check. I started to integrate the EX cards when I first opened everything, but I abandoned that plan when I got to Lum because it didn't seem like it wanted to fit. Also, it's a really tight squeeze already for the typical 5 card EX set characters. You have to put the cards in a certain way to avoid the bottom flap of the tuck box, and I just know I'd have hosed up some of my cards if I proceeded further.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Xom posted:

Was I supposed to get new character boxes or something? I got the EX Powerup, all the new characters, the Panda v G Panda bonus thing, and the old character replacement cards, and the new poo poo absolutely does not fit comfortably in the old character boxes (and the boxes themselves sit super loose in the new EX big box).

Also I'm really bummed that the old character replacements didn't come with the same "here's a list of all the speeds and abilities this character has" reference card that the new ones have.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Bosushi! posted:

I'll have to double check. I started to integrate the EX cards when I first opened everything, but I abandoned that plan when I got to Lum because it didn't seem like it wanted to fit. Also, it's a really tight squeeze already for the typical 5 card EX set characters. You have to put the cards in a certain way to avoid the bottom flap of the tuck box, and I just know I'd have hosed up some of my cards if I proceeded further.
There isn't room for the EX cards, the regular Aces, AND the foil Aces, so maybe that's it?

Xom fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 12, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Xom posted:

There isn't room for the EX cards, the regular Aces, AND the foil Aces, so maybe that's it?

No like, even the boxes look different - The ones in that picture have square character portraits, the old First Edition ones have round ones. They're definitely smaller. Maybe you only got the new big ones if you bought everything, in which case boo. I can technically fit everything (other than lum's poo poo) into the old boxes but it's a tight squeeze.

Also the replacement cards (and the ex ones) are all new and pristine, which makes the edges white and they stand out like a sore thumb shuffled in with the old cards if you've played at all. I guess sleeving is an option but like, who sleeves Yomi when you have those amazing little boxes?!

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Xom posted:

I didn't even try to add the foil aces to the box. I never got around to double checking last night but I'll try to get to it later tonight.

For the record I don't own any of the physical first edition stuff and this is all from the fresh printing so they have square character portraits.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Countblanc posted:

Was I supposed to get new character boxes or something? I got the EX Powerup, all the new characters, the Panda v G Panda bonus thing, and the old character replacement cards, and the new poo poo absolutely does not fit comfortably in the old character boxes (and the boxes themselves sit super loose in the new EX big box).

Also I'm really bummed that the old character replacements didn't come with the same "here's a list of all the speeds and abilities this character has" reference card that the new ones have.
Ahhh, you got the upgrade cards, that explains it. Those were a bare minimum thing for hardcore gameplay-only people who want to spend the least money possible to have a current tournament legal deck, so no EX-accommodating new big tuckboxes, I guess. I hope you figure out something that works for you. :(

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
How long has Menelker been X.6 attack speed? Could have sworn he was X.4 and that was part of why he made me so mad...did I just miss that or was it a last-second change?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

SuperKlaus posted:

How long has Menelker been X.6 attack speed? Could have sworn he was X.4 and that was part of why he made me so mad...did I just miss that or was it a last-second change?

Online Yomi changelog posted:

2014-03-21 update:
- Gameplay updated to 5.9

-- Menelker's normal attack speed changed from X.4 to X.6

Xom fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 13, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Anyone want to play online tonight?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Aw I might have if I'd seen that. Sorry dude. I know I've never actually played with goons online but I will sooner or later.

I have my physical copy of the goods now and I have to say 1) the foil Aces do indeed look like they're covered in sugar or something, drat, you cannot read them when looking straight-on, 2) the rulebook is not the best I've ever seen. It's decent, but in places it seems to fall victim to the familiarity trap: a writer who forgets his audience does not know the topic as he does. I've played enough 1v1 normal Yomi to know the rules almost backward and forward, so no problem really, but reading it again I realized some bits and pieces aren't communicated flawlessly. Anyway, I do have a problem with the 2v2 section.

There's this chart of how assist moves work, and though it is a summary chart, the preceding explanatory text is missing parts. When I, active player, play block or dodge and elect to use that in combat instead of my friend's assist, the result is...? I can assume per the chart that if I blocked, the assist whiffs, because "block" is listed with main player Gold Burst, and that situation is explained in preceding text as "the assist misses." Similarly, I think I know Yomi well enough to figure that when I dodge, because the chart says "the assist hits as your follow-up and is an Ender" that means I, the active and dodging player, do not play a card to hit my opponent post-dodge per normal as the assist hits in its stead. But it's really not spelled out to the level it should be!

Oh and 3) it kind of pisses me off that the Round 1 and 2 boxes are big enough only for 16 decks. What're those of us without EX Powerup supposed to do to cart all this around, huh?

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
HEY THERES A YOMI THREAD

Now that I have my wifi hooked up i can just sit in bed and play Yomi on my ipad and never leave

Echoing what everyone else has said about the Kickstarter stuff: Cards are nice, but I ended up taking out the insert from the EX Powerup box and sleeving all my cards and storing them in twenty cheap UltraPro deck boxes instead. The foils are pretty but also unreadable at certain angles which makes them pretty useless for teaching new people in real life, which is what I've been up to.

I can't believe Sirlin got me to pay $40 for a box for my game but gently caress i love this stupid game

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Triple-Kan posted:

HEY THERES A YOMI THREAD

Now that I have my wifi hooked up i can just sit in bed and play Yomi on my ipad and never leave

Echoing what everyone else has said about the Kickstarter stuff: Cards are nice, but I ended up taking out the insert from the EX Powerup box and sleeving all my cards and storing them in twenty cheap UltraPro deck boxes instead. The foils are pretty but also unreadable at certain angles which makes them pretty useless for teaching new people in real life, which is what I've been up to.

I can't believe Sirlin got me to pay $40 for a box for my game but gently caress i love this stupid game

Welcome. Who's your main? Unlocked any EX guys online yet? I've only unlocked EX Yomibot Jaina but I'll have her playable soon because holy crap she's easy. She literally just uses her EX abilities to spam the crap out of Letter J so you just dodge or use 0.0s if you got 'em.

When Vendetta normal attacks into Rook's special blocks, he cannot use Carrion Reach, right? Rook's special blocks don't use the clearest wording on their exact effects on combat and I've been going off an old gut understanding for a while.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

SuperKlaus posted:

When Vendetta normal attacks into Rook's special blocks, he cannot use Carrion Reach, right? Rook's special blocks don't use the clearest wording on their exact effects on combat and I've been going off an old gut understanding for a while.

I'll try to test with the app, but there's no wording on Rook's blocks that would prevent Carrion Reach from triggering.

Edit: Just tested. Carrion Reach triggered when Rook blocked with Stone Wall.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Personally I think it's supremely bizarre that Rook's blocks still don't draw or return to hand when counterspelled. The natural way to understand a counterspell's effect would be "ignore the special ability box altogether," I would think.

I have Jaina technique questions. I don't understand her 6. Well, obviously, it's attack/throw, which appears key so the enemy doesn't know he can surely win via block when you Unstable Power. But does it actually do anything for that purpose? You can use a normal throw in your Unstable Power mix-up if you think they're gonna try to evade you through blocking and get the choice of KD or further combo that Knee Bash doesn't have (though you can't throw into Letter J due to Unstable Power's restriction you could still throw into 4-5-6 for a third Ace [!] or something). 10 throw would be extra tasty for getting its power operational.

All the 6 does when Unstable Power'd, given the slowness of the 6 attack, seems to be to secure you against throws. But would a sane opponent ever throw when Jaina declares Unstable Power? I mean even if he knows you like to throw during UP, why would he not attack? It would still lose if you Unstable attack/dodge, it wins more securely against Unstable throw in case you try a faster one than your 10, and given combo points and straights and normal draw and stuff seems to have a higher reward for success.

• Locked thread