Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
PS3 Exclusive
Latest Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFg3a4YhGUs

So, it looks like we will have another traditional AC, if this teaser site is any indication.

teaser site:
http://projectaces-newtitle.bngames.net/

As one of the SA's biggest Ace Combat nerds, I will be posting more info as they come out.

For those who are not familiar with what AC series is about, here's an excellent writeup by Punkboy

What is Ace Combat?

Ace Combat is an arcade-style flight simulator developed by Project Aces, a division of Namco-Bandai Games. It's known for it's plethora of real-world fighter jets, excellent music, fast and fun gameplay, ridiculous superweapons, and cheesy plots. The series first started on the PS1 and continued to be a PlayStation exclusive (barring a handheld game, I believe) until Ace Combat 6, which released on the PS3 and 360. The game after that, Assault Horizon, was also released on the 360 and PS3, and even recently got a PC port.

Where is the series at now?

After Assault Horizon, there wasn't much news about anything until now. Project Aces posted a new website with a splash teaser that says "That day our sky fe||, the heavens split to create new skies" Note the odd formatting of the "l"s in "fell." No one knows what they mean at the moment. What everyone does believe is that the teaser indicates return to the Strangereal universe.

What's this about different universes?

Well, every game before Assault Horizon takes place in the Strangereal world, a world that is parallel ours, but has it's own geography, history, and strangely named countries. It's basically an excuse to have crazy superweapons and silly anime plots. Assault Horizon actually takes place in the "real" world, and uses real-world locations. The teaser alludes to the Ulysses 1994XF04 asteroid, which broke into thousands of pieces and crashed into Strangereal and is referenced in many of the Ace Combat games. Note that the Project Aces logo features what looks to be asteroids hitting the ground.

What are the games?

I'm going to focus on the PS2 and 360/PS3 games since they are the ones I'm most familiar with. If you have anything for the other games, I'll add them!

Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
"I was just a child when the stars fell from the skies. But I remember how they built a cannon to destroy them and in turn how that cannon brought war upon us."

Considered to be one of the best in the entire series, Ace Combat 04 is the first PS2 title that was released. You play as "Mobius One," pilot of the ISAF. It features the first introduction of the Ulysses incident. The antagonizing country, Erusea, originally developed the weapon Stonehenge, basically a giant rail cannon, to shoot down the asteroid, but ended up weaponizing it when they declared war on the ISAF.

Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
"When history witnesses a great change, Razgriz reveals itself. First, as a dark demon. As a demon, it uses its power to rain death upon the land, and then it dies. However, after a period of slumber, Razgriz returns. This time, as a great hero."

The sequel to 04 takes place years later, and revolves around the war between Osea and Yuktobania. The game follows "Wardog" squadron, a group of Osean rookies that gets caught up in the middle of the war. Unlike in 04, you could chose the planes and loadouts of your squadron, and give them commands to attack/defend/etc. 5 is my personal favorite of the series, but I'm weird and really liked the story and characters. It's cheesy, but there are some great moments.

Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
"Did you know... there are three kind of aces? Those who seek strength, those who live for pride, and those who can read the tide of battle. Those are the three. And him... he was a true ace."

Zero is actually a prequel to 5 and gives the story of the Belkan War, the massive world war mentioned in Ace Combat 5. You play as "Cypher" of "Galm" squadron, a mercenary squadron hired to fight against Belka. Zero featured multiple paths with different missions and cutscenes depending on your playstyle. Kill everyone you face and you are put on the Mercenary path, where you are feared as a bloodthirsty killer. Spare a few enemies and you go on the Soldier path, and you become known for well...being a soldier and getting the job done. Go out of your way to spare you enemies and you're on the Knight path, where you are renowned for your chivalry and mercy. Zero is up there with 04 among fans as best in the series. It certainly does have the greatest theme/boss fight music in any of the games.

Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
"Go dance with the angels!"

After years of economic problems thanks in large part to the devastation caused by Ulysses, the country Estovakia launches a surprise attack on Emmeria and quickly takes over most of it. You play as "Talisman" of the Emmerian squadron "Garuda" in the fight to liberate your homeland. The biggest change to the gameplay is that missions take place over massive battlefields with multiple objectives you can take on at your discretion. You are also able to order not only friendly planes, but also ships and tanks to attack certain targets. 6 gets a lot of flak, a lot of it deserved, admittedly. Only a few missions really stood out, and the plot was really bad. Most of it followed the widow of an Emmerian pilot trying to find her daughter, which no one really cared about. Also, "Go dance with the angels" is a horrible catchphrase that is somehow supposed to be a defiant gesture against the Estovakian occupiers. On the plus side, the massive battles were a lot of fun. Seeing friendly artillery salvos pound an enemy position was an awesome sight, and dogfights could get quite chaotic when you had allies with you.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
"I saw my death in my dreams. Many times. A nightmare that I'll never forget."

Assault Horizon changed a lot to the Ace Combat formula. The story follows NATO Task Force 108 as they hunt down an insurgency called SRN. For the first time you didn't play as an anonymous pilot. In fact, you played as several characters that have their own unique vehicles and missions: Colonel William Bishop (fighters), Captain Doug Robinson (helicopters), and Major Janice Rehl (AC-130/bomber). Another new feature is Dogfight Mode. Get in close enough to the enemy, and you're able to enter a special mode that locks you to him. It's not as easy as it sounds, as the enemy is able to attempt to break the lock or even reverse it to turn the tables around. A lot of fans complained that it turned the game into a rail-shooter, and at certain points it did. It seemed like Project Aces wanted to grab the Call of Duty fanbase by having scripted events during certain Dogfight mode moments. It was also annoying that certain enemies could only be defeated that way. However, I did find it to be a mostly fun mechanic and it definitely didn't make the game terribly easy. In fact it sometimes got really frustrating since the AI was very good at evading/breaking Dogfight Mode locks. Multiplayer was a lot of fun, and had the great mode called Capital Conquest, where two teams face each other to destroy opposing bases. Also, the theme of the game, "Gotta Stay Fly," is gloriously cheesy butt rock and is awesome.

Skwerl fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.
I just came.

I hope that A) It's on Xbox360 too.
B) It goes back to a fictional world with massive bombs and beam weapons.
C) It has a good story a la AC5.

Can I dream a bit?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Does the newest Ace Combat on PC ever get good? I put it down for good 5 minutes into the first terribly boring bombing mission but I should have stopped on the first helicopter level. I love Ace Combat Zero and 5, so I hope this new one is a return to that kind of mission design and gameplay.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Awesome, hopefully it is more like 4-5(two of my favourite games ever) and little less wishy washy than fires of liberation and way less like assault horizon.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

If this game also has dogfighting mode I am going to be pissed and probably also cry.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

Evil Eagle posted:

Does the newest Ace Combat on PC ever get good? I put it down for good 5 minutes into the first terribly boring bombing mission but I should have stopped on the first helicopter level. I love Ace Combat Zero and 5, so I hope this new one is a return to that kind of mission design and gameplay.

imo, only the pure air combat mission in that game is enjoyable, scripted boss fights are not enjoyable :\

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Thank god. It's been far too long since I danced with the angels.

I eagerly await the solid air combat and weird japanese story of this one.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
TAKE MY MONEY, NAMCO but not for Idolmaster DLC, weirdos

Evil Eagle posted:

Yes, it does. It front loads every lovely mission in the game, which is exceptionally dumb. The tutorial is on rails, the oil field fight is OK but then the first AH-64 mission, UH-60 interactive credits/mission, and AC-130 mission which almost come in an uninterrupted row? All terrible.

When the game first offers you an F-14, it's good and continues to be good from there. I don't think this is a coincidence. :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 12, 2013

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
I am honestly happy that the teaser sounds as engrish as gently caress instead of: OSCAR MIKE RAMIREZ DANGER CLOSE STAY FROSTY OSCAR MIKE.

Now.....if this were confirmed to be non-mobile/non-f2p/non-browser based stuff, we're golden
(because nbgi recently made ridge racer and tekken f2p, so I do have my concern)

As for speculations:
Infinity:
Mobius 1's symbol is a mobius infinite ribbon

During ac4's design phase, mobius squadron was originally: Infinite-111

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I hope the fact that Assault Horizon made it to the PC means that this will too.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

So the fell in that little line has L's that are much larger than the rest of the text, and actually look more like sans-serif I's. You know, to indicate 2.

It might be Shattered Skies II.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

Giggily posted:

So the fell in that little line has L's that are much larger than the rest of the text, and actually look more like sans-serif I's. You know, to indicate 2.

I /really/ hope that is the case. I'd buy all the DLCs if that happens :\
As said before, if its not mobile, not f2p etc. we're golden.

They really cant go wrong by back-paddling to fictional world.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I hope it's better than 6. That one was really nice looking but it was so boring I forgot everything about it except that I once dropped an FAE bomb on top of a giant flying boss and that was pretty funny.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

As someone who actually enjoyed the newest Ace Combat, I still hope they go back to a more 6 style approach to the games.
5 is really good and all, but there's something about 6's large scale battles that I just really love. Especially just seeing all the missile trails in the distance.

No matter how it ends up though I can be pretty confident it'll have an awesome OST.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Insert name here posted:

I hope the fact that Assault Horizon made it to the PC means that this will too.

Also, with the Dark Souls 1 and 2 ports, it shows a trend on Namco's part to port the stuff that makes sense to PC. Of course, we all know how much these trends matter to Japanese publishers, what with Capcom's inexplicable refusal to port Dragon's Dogma.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
At this point I'd take a remake of 4 or 5 rather then anything like 6 or Assault Horizon.

On that note, AH is only 15 bucks on steam right now, but it might go lower.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
4-5-0 and even 6 were such amazing games. If the series goes back to that mold I will be so happy.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I hope that they're finally going to leave the real world, but I'm not going to hold my breath or anything. It would be nice if it was longer, too, I felt like Assault Horizon could have been a lot better if there were just a few more dogfighting missions.

I wish my PS2 hadn't crapped out so I could finally get more than a few missions into Zero

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
While they are at it they need to do a HD remaster of the Ps2 Ace Combats.

This used to be my favorite series of games, but 6 was super boring and I never even bothered with AH. Here's hoping for a return to metal gear solid but in planes type plot!

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Giggily posted:

Oh don't put that idea in my head, cause now I am gonna be super hyped for this game and inevitably let down when this won't be the case :smith:

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

Holy poo poo I am so excited for new Ace Combat. :holy:

It was 2007 when Ace Combat 6 came out. It has been far too long since we've had railguns and MIRVs and lasers and those crazy planes like the Falken.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Authorman posted:

While they are at it they need to do a HD remaster of the Ps2 Ace Combats.

This used to be my favorite series of games, but 6 was super boring and I never even bothered with AH. Here's hoping for a return to metal gear solid but in planes type plot!

I'd even take just working emulation on PCSX2. I'm really jonesing to replay those but my own PS2 is long gone.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
5 is still my favorite ace combat.

What was the total amount of money in 6 you had to pay including the DLC skins and planes?

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

KnoxZone posted:

4-5-0 and even 6 were such amazing games. If the series goes back to that mold I will be so happy.

Since Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy for 3DS was actually completely unrelated to AH and is a Strangereal-retcon remake of Ace Combat 2 with no DFM, I'm optimistic.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

sandpiper posted:

Since Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy for 3DS was actually completely unrelated to AH and is a Strangereal-retcon remake of Ace Combat 2 with no DFM, I'm optimistic.

AC:AHL was amazing. The only 3DS game I have even played so far.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Ka0 posted:

What was the total amount of money in 6 you had to pay including the DLC skins and planes?

Ace Combat 5 is my favorite as well, I'm hoping/assuming this new one will wind up on PC now that Namco has realised that if they put a little bit of effort into a pc version and plop it on steam they'll make a bunch of money!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Ka0 posted:

If I recall the DLC pricing structure was the same as Assault Horizon (as in, terrible) in which it was actually cheaper for me to rebuy the game on PC (which has all the DLC in it) than it was for me to purchase the DLC for my 360 copy. So I'd probably wager the answer to your question is "too loving much".

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'd even take just working emulation on PCSX2. I'm really jonesing to replay those but my own PS2 is long gone.

Were the PS2 Ace Combats on the CDs with the blue bottoms? I always had trouble running those on my old PS2. I'm not surprised PCSX2 can't.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

sandpiper posted:

Yeah, they just replaced it with a "get behind the guy automagically" button, and a "do a nonsensical series of maneuvers to avoid these missles" button, which I don't feel is an improvement. I will never understand the praise for the 3DS AC. It looks pretty meh, given what else is on the 3DS, and I don't think the game does a good job of projecting a sense of speed or motion. There are plenty of moments where it feels like jets are just standing still in the air, and even with afterburners most planes outside of the top tier feel really slow. This becomes especially noticeable when you get low to the ground.

In general, the handheld AC games have been awful to tolerable at best. They all smack of "definitely not the A-Team behind this project".

Still waiting for a proper HD collection and/or a remake of AC3, Namco. Make it happen! Wishful thinking aside, I am pretty damned excited a new Ace Combat. Basically, if all they're doing is a sequel to an existing Strangereal game that ISN'T 6 (because gently caress that whole game's plot and characters), and just keep the aircraft destruction visuals from AH, I'll be golden.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

fivegears4reverse posted:

Basically, if all they're doing is a sequel to an existing Strangereal game that ISN'T 6 (because gently caress that whole game's plot and characters), and just keep the aircraft destruction visuals from AH, I'll be golden.

it will be interesting to see how they handle it. AFAIK in one of the tech talks, PA guys actually talked about how much system resource the destruction took.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq6sPjM5YRE

Also ignore the video name, this was the pre-vis for ACAH, which was loving badassed.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
God taking planes apart in Assault Horizon was cool though, watching a missile just shred the entire rear of a plane.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
Going back to Strangereal is cool, but I hope they continue to experiment with gameplay. I thought DFM was pretty cool in AH, especially in multiplayer where it's not scripted.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I enjoyed DFM but if they bring it back I hope they work on it so it isn't piss easy to get on people's tails instantly even from a head-on pass once you knew what you were doing.

hopterque posted:

God taking planes apart in Assault Horizon was cool though, watching a missile just shred the entire rear of a plane.
Best part of them moving back to Strangereal is (if they keep the destruction from AH) being able to see non-Russian planes get torn up. It feels like such a waste that they modelled destruction for every plane but you only realistically got to see it on like 7/8 planes total, if that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sankis posted:

Were the PS2 Ace Combats on the CDs with the blue bottoms? I always had trouble running those on my old PS2. I'm not surprised PCSX2 can't.

The type of disc doesn't have much to do with it. The emulator just doesn't emulate the games very well and there is a ton of graphical glitching.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Given that the website mentions the sky falling, I've heard and tend to agree with rumblings that it's referencing the Ulysses asteroid that strikes some time before 4. So we might see pre-Stonehenge craziness.

I really hope this is true, since I'm not keen on flying in the real world anymore. The real world is boring. :smith:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Just make me go through a tunnel at some point Namco! Did Assault Horizon even had a trench/Star Wars like level like that?

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
The mission where you fly a bomber through a radar network comes close, but it's just not the same as flying through an actual tunnel.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

fivegears4reverse posted:

In general, the handheld AC games have been awful to tolerable at best. They all smack of "definitely not the A-Team behind this project".
Ace Combat X for the PSP was genuinely good dammit :argh:

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Honest Thief posted:

Just make me go through a tunnel at some point Namco! Did Assault Horizon even had a trench/Star Wars like level like that?

Hey DFM was like a tunnel most of the time :haw:

:smith:

I don't actually hate DFM as a concept. Ideally, it's a way to stick you to the tail of a particularly rough opponent, but you still need to do the heavy lifting when it comes to aiming and shooting your gun. Unfortunately, AH has way too many sequences where you can literally pour dozens of missiles and hundreds of gun rounds into a fighter who WON'T DIE until we get our sick camera angles first brah.

I actually liked DFM in AH more than the "Fill a Meter, Press Buttan To Win Dogfight" garbage in the 3DS version. I still felt like I was doing something to score the kill in AH DFM, where as until you hit the higher difficulties, AHL's win button is basically infallible unless it's one of the aces (who like most Ace Combat aces, have to cheat to actually present a serious thread).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

sandpiper posted:

If Assault Horizon's Legacy is a return to Strangereal, I'm all for it. Can't wait to pilot a technoplane for a thinly disguised version of a real-world country.

• Locked thread