Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want a game where the nosferatu from ac6 is not out of place. It was more Macross than the best Macross game. I want railguns, lasers, and less of that pursuit dogfighting crap.

I also enjoyed all the crazy dlc planes with unique loadouts. Yes even the idolmaster planes :getin:

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
drat, I missed this thread before I posted mine. :shobon: Regardless, I'm so pumped for this announcement!

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
Hey Punkboy, would you mind if I use your OP content? I will credit you of course.
It'd be nice to have these merged together.

Skwerl fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 12, 2013

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope it's a sequel to Assault Horizon so we can continue to stay fly. Just get rid of all the scripted dogfights, those sucked.

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!
Quoting from the other thread:

Astro Creep posted:

Just a complete shot in the dark regarding the teaser, but "the heavens split to create new skies" sounds like it could take place in space. I mean the flying mechanics are already nearly perfect for a space combat game, just remove engine stalls and you're golden. It's also not outside the realm of possibility since AC3: Electrosphere(the AC taking place the latest, chronologically) was retconned into the United Galaxy Space Force pseudoseries.

I don't necessarily hope that's what it is, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

fivegears4reverse posted:

I don't actually hate DFM as a concept. Ideally, it's a way to stick you to the tail of a particularly rough opponent, but you still need to do the heavy lifting when it comes to aiming and shooting your gun. Unfortunately, AH has way too many sequences where you can literally pour dozens of missiles and hundreds of gun rounds into a fighter who WON'T DIE until we get our sick camera angles first brah.

The final boss was really loving bad about this, because if you failed at the endpoint where you actually had a chance to kill him, you had to survive the part where you could do sweet fuckall alllllll over again, and it's seriously like a two or three minute sequence.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The final boss was really loving bad about this, because if you failed at the endpoint where you actually had a chance to kill him, you had to survive the part where you could do sweet fuckall alllllll over again, and it's seriously like a two or three minute sequence.

fun fact, if you don't activate CRA within the first 10 seconds of the boss fight, you get an automatic mission fail :smithicide:

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

Astro Creep posted:

I'm reminded of Deadly Skies III, which had the final few missions take place in space. You flew regular fighter jets, only they had rockets strapped to them or something. It's not a very good game, but the set pieces were very Ace Combat, with giant rolling wheel fortresses and poo poo.

Edit: constant bewildering radio chatter from three different factions, each with their own conversations and a controller talking to you (your callsign changed more or less every mission.)

Reivax fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 12, 2013

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
This might be one of my favorite series of all time, if it goes back to its Strangereal roots (including gameplay more like 4/5) for the next one they will have all of my money.

I remember Ace Combat II back on the original Playstation, sitting there wondering as a little kid where the hell the F-15s were after I beat the game, not even aware of what the YF-23 was and that I should've been ecstatic it was in the game.

I really, really loved AC4 for some reason, it's tied with 5 for me as 2 of my favorite games of all time. I've probably gone back and S'ed out all the missions in 4 on every difficulty about 3 times now. I just love that loving game all the way through.

I never played Zero, I really need to see if I can find a copy of that.

From what I've played of AC:AH on the PC, I really don't like it. It just not AC when you do that crazy tail chasing poo poo, I loved in 4/5 when I could pull off those ridiculous combos of gun and missile kills without needing any kind of scripted event. If anything, I felt like that broke the flow of the game so much, having to chase some dude around for a couple minutes on a stupid path.

Quick tech question, has anyone ever heard of a bug with AC5 where your PS2 will freeze while loading the Mobius 1 mini-game (arcade mode) stuff? It shows the loading prompt but never loads it, left my PS2 on for an hour just to see. Later on, the game bugged out after a save and I couldn't actually finish the mission I was on either, I can't tell if it's the PS2 or the game itself.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 12, 2013

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Echoing sentiments of wanting an Ace Combat closer to 4,5,0. Fires of Liberation and Assault Horizon were just not up to scratch.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Ka0 posted:

5 is still my favorite ace combat.

What was the total amount of money in 6 you had to pay including the DLC skins and planes?

Well "had to" was $0, but if you bought literally every piece of AC6 DLC I believe it totaled up to $183.

Note that you got zero new missions for this. Hell I don't even know if you got new planes, just reskins and attribute changes.

At least AH included new planes, even if you can't fly them in campaign ( :mad: ) like the YF-23. And a helicopter that carries UGBs. That poo poo is funny.

also yes if they bring back DFM and ASM I think that's fine, those aren't actually negatives. Making long DFM chases against invincible bosses however is completely unacceptable.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Fauxtool posted:

I want a game where the nosferatu from ac6 is not out of place. It was more Macross than the best Macross game. I want railguns, lasers, and less of that pursuit dogfighting crap.

Shinjobi posted:

Given that the website mentions the sky falling, I've heard and tend to agree with rumblings that it's referencing the Ulysses asteroid that strikes some time before 4. So we might see pre-Stonehenge craziness.

I really hope this is true, since I'm not keen on flying in the real world anymore. The real world is boring. :smith:

YES! THIS! I could never bring myself to try AH because...gently caress...Tom Clancy-esque "realism"? Since when was that what made Ace Combat attractive? I thought the whole loving point was to apply what was essentially a Gundam plot (along with the same sort of gradual evolution of enemy equipment you'd expect to see in the show) to a Top Gun fighter jock story.

I also think that either a remake of 04 or something a few years earlier is likely. I'm totally down with that (though it'd be neat to see something set earlier or later, like, there's that whole war in the 70s that's likely crazy, and hell, the Strangereal WWII analogue is probably pretty cool, like, with partially sunken battleship fortresses and poo poo) so long as they don't try to go with CG cutscenes, the slideshows in 04 and X are loving gorgeous, and while the stuff in 5, Zero, and 6 don't really look bad, they don't do much that couldn't have been accomplished with a nice looking cartoon slideshow.

I do hope that they finally decide to ditch the silent protagonist thing though, it's really awkward in most of the games.

Psion posted:

At least AH included new planes, even if you can't fly them in campaign ( :mad: )...

WHAT?! How does-? That's dumb. :mad:

EDIT: For clarity!

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 12, 2013

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There was a space mission in Ace Combat 3, which was ridiculous and confusing as hell. Then again, it was Ace Combat 3.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Astro Creep posted:

We really need something like this. Otherwise we're nearly 3 generations overdue for another Colony Wars.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Giggily posted:

There was a space mission in Ace Combat 3, which was ridiculous and confusing as hell. Then again, it was Ace Combat 3.

I really want a remake of 3. Like, more than anything else. Sadly like the other game with a 3 in it I want, it'll never happen.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Is there an Ace Combat where you can fly a Mig-17? This is important to me.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I hope this is good, the last one I really enjoyed was Zero, though 6 certainly was pretty and didn't have the dumb poo poo :supaburn: REAL WORLD ASSAULT HORIZON :supaburn: did. Assault Horizon is terrible.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Panzeh posted:

I don't think so, that's part of why I'm holding out hope that we'll eventually get an AC game set in one of their crazy mid-1900s wars. 80s-90s jets are neat, and I adore the future planes, but holy crap, old jets look crazy and cool in different ways, and it'd be hilarious to have an AC game where the super plane is like, basically just a proto-F-16 with HOLY CRAP QAAMS WOAH!

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
fun fact:
If I recall correctly AC5/ACAH's director mentioned that AC3 wasnt well received so they decided to reset everything and used AC4 as a reboot!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Panzeh posted:

Well, there's a couple where you can fly a MiG-21bis, does that help?

Personally I've played and completed 2,4,5,0,X1 and X2 and if I'm honest the PS2 games are the pinnacle of the series, they have the best split between gameplay and difficulty, also awesome sequences that makes you feel like a loving boss. :hellyeah:

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Skwerl posted:

fun fact:
If I recall correctly AC5/ACAH's director mentioned that AC3 wasnt well received so they decided to reset everything and used AC4 as a reboot!

Though, considering that some elements in the series since that reboot fit nicely into the Strangereal we see in Electrosphere (the growing influence of arms manufacturers, the prevalence of COFFIN style cockpits in the future jets in X) I think it's safe to say that 3 can still be considered "canon".

Really, the thing I've always been a little sad about is that they decided not to reference the Ulysses impacts in 5 or Zero at all. So much about what happens in Zero would make more sense if the specter of a mass extinction event had been looming over everyone in the Belkan War (A World With no Boundaries certainly comes closer to making sense if many of its members believe most of humanity is doomed anyway).

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 12, 2013

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Skwerl posted:

Hey Punkboy, would you mind if I use your OP content? I will credit you of course.
It'd be nice to have these merged together.

Absolutely! Also feel free to make any additions/changes. I feel like I may have missed some stuff and/or got information wrong.

I actually enjoyed Assault Horizon, for what it's worth. The scripted DFM moments were bad, but using it normally was a lot of fun, especially in multiplayer where aerial duels could get downright bloodthirsty. And while the trailers made it seem like the tone was going all Call of Duty, from what I recall the tone in the game itself was still Ace Combat. I really enjoyed Bishop, Guts, Spooky, and D-Ray as characters, and I thought the music was top notch. Definitely better that 6's, which only had a couple memorable tracks. I am all for going back to Strangereal, though. Gotta get my superweapon/trench run fix.

EDIT: And by "absolutely," I mean "absolutely go ahead and use it." Just realized now that it looks confusing. :doh:

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 13, 2013

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Ernie Muppari posted:

WHAT?! How does-? That's dumb. :mad:
The Ka-50 can carry bombs in real life too (unless you're talking about how you can't use the DLC planes in the campaign, which is dumb).

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Insert name here posted:

The Ka-50 can carry bombs in real life too (unless you're talking about how you can't use the DLC planes in the campaign, which is dumb).
So does the Hind: in real life, it can even carry fuel-air bombs, that require it to fly above a minimum altitude and speed so as not to have its rotor teared off. :black101:
As far as I remember, in the actual game, the Apache was not allowed to carry bombs, though.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Yeah, the not being able to fly them part is what I was talking about. Seriously, why the even hell?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Ernie Muppari posted:

Yeah, the not being able to fly them part is what I was talking about. Seriously, why the even hell?
You could fly them in quick mission, but not if you just played through the campaign normally. For whatever reason quick mission also cuts out all the cutscenes from missions which is pretty lame.

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

Ernie Muppari posted:

It's stupid, but after you finish the (short) campaign, there's no reason not to play on free missions. You miss out on cutscenes, but you can fly any of the jets.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

The game should let you be absolutely terrifying to the entire enemy side again, and it should have as many as possible crazy alternate-reality-Earth scenarios that pit a 80s arcade version of a fighter jet against a flying aircraft carrier or a fortress on tank treads or something else that's incredibly stupid (yet vaguely based on real world technology.)

Also, if they're going to make it story-centric, I hope it's more of a retrospective story like in 04 and Zero (through that is more of personal preference).

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Just start me off in the first mission as an F-4E for old times sake :3:

Though I don't recall if Zero threw you into a F-4 at the start. 6 was a F-16, gently caress Assault horizon.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

movax posted:

Though I don't recall if Zero threw you into a F-4 at the start. 6 was a F-16, gently caress Assault horizon.

Zero had the F-5, Draken, and the F-1. The Draken owned and I want to see it back. :(

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

movax posted:

I did appreciate playing the first jet mission in AH in an F-4. Basically Area 88 in a video game since it was me in an F-4 shooting down MiG-21s in a desert over an oil refinery. Zero Zero Section heyo.

But no matter what universe they put the game in, we desperately need some 60s vintage aircraft. Modern jets are neat, prototypes are cool, fictional stuff is great but goddamn can I bomb around in an F-8 Crusader please thank you?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Psion posted:

I did appreciate playing the first jet mission in AH in an F-4. Basically Area 88 in a video game since it was me in an F-4 shooting down MiG-21s in a desert over an oil refinery. Zero Zero Section heyo.

But no matter what universe they put the game in, we desperately need some 60s vintage aircraft. Modern jets are neat, prototypes are cool, fictional stuff is great but goddamn can I bomb around in an F-8 Crusader please thank you?

Yeah, some Century Series action would be awesome. Last time I remember flying a F-8 around in a game was in Jane's Fighters Anthology I think.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

Psion posted:

Vintage jets would be cool, and they'd probably still work well in these games. I remember X2 had two old aircraft you could use, they were old propeller planes and couldn't use any missiles, which makes sense but that's a pain in the rear end. Older jets would at least have some variety.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Fighting Falken posted:

Vintage jets would be cool, and they'd probably still work well in these games. I remember X2 had two old aircraft you could use, they were old propeller planes and couldn't use any missiles, which makes sense but that's a pain in the rear end. Older jets would at least have some variety.

Well the Project Aces people also did that Sky Crawlers game, where every plane was a WWII era bullet thrower, and I've heard that it was perfectly cromulent. So I think they could totally do a 60s/70s early jet fighter game and make it awesome.

Also, please tell me that Assault Horizon Legacy will actually allow me to remap yaw control to the shoulder buttons, and I just haven't figured out how to do it yet. I'm dreading having to shoot down that super missile using only guns, while having to take my thumb off the analog stick to do minor steering adjustments.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

It seems to be the common theme, but I really hope this one is more like Ace Combat 5 and less like Assault Horizon. Even if the combat was mindless lockon-fire missile-repeat, I had a lot more fun with it than the super Modern Warfare-like rails dogfights. Leave it in if you have to, but don't MAKE me use it.

Also give me a plane/emblem painter. I want to make Dazzle Camo.

There's no mention of what platforms this is for right? A launch window Ace Combat game might make me get a PS4 quicker than I was planning.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I really want a remake of 3. Like, more than anything else. Sadly like the other game with a 3 in it I want, it'll never happen.

I'm really glad that I'm not the only one who feels that way, especially since the US never got the second disc. :sigh:

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just hope we're going back to Strangereal this time. Playing Ace Combat in a real world setting just felt...wrong.

Also, bring back the MiG-21. That thing was cool.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I hope they keep the machine gun pods on the MiG-21 from AH. Those were the best.

Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
something fun for you guys:

Now if you wonder what this is.... this is a garage kit created by AC series head artist/art director 20 years ago. According to him, arkbird and stonehenge are strongly inspired by this design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DarkSol posted:

I'm really glad that I'm not the only one who feels that way, especially since the US never got the second disc. :sigh:

That... isn't quite the case. We got some missions from the second disc. The thing is, like 99 percent of the cutscenes and all of the characters were essentially ripped out of the game. They more or less kept the plot in there, well, at least one of the plots. I dunno. The US release of AC3 was a goddamn mess. I'm definitely with you on the remake front though.

• Locked thread