Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

I make homemade pizza at least twice a month, and never thought to try gouda. Can't wait to now, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Top tier pizza makers will mix mozarella, gouda and buffalo mozarella, then the laughing will truly begin.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I couldn't wait and tried it with my current sub-par ingredients and it tasted pretty darn good. A step up from mozzarella for sure in my opinion. But it was pricy so the next one will wait until I get some good stuff from the farmers market.

I hope there are more episodes like this later. It was a lot of fun and a good idea overall. I still wonder why the cheese room was a big secret.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I couldn't wait and tried it with my current sub-par ingredients and it tasted pretty darn good. A step up from mozzarella for sure in my opinion. But it was pricy so the next one will wait until I get some good stuff from the farmers market.

I hope there are more episodes like this later. It was a lot of fun and a good idea overall. I still wonder why the cheese room was a big secret.

Because Riding Buddha wanted all that cheese to himself. Between that and the gambling, dude's got a pretty addictive personality.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Episode 5 may have been my favorite so far. It was easy to guess where it was going as far as the overall mystery, but they kept the increasing complication unpredictable enough that it was still fun to watch.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 8, 2013

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

StandardVC10 posted:

Episode 5 may have been my favorite so far. It was easy to guess where it was going as far as the overall mystery, but they kept the increasing complication unpredictable enough that it was still fun to watch.

Requesting the thread title be changed to Metal Gear Tractor. That was pretty drat close to what I consider a perfect anime episode.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think that was closer to The Great Escape, the anime. The even got picked off one by one.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
That ending song is pretty much perfect for the overarching tenor of this show; I listen the whole way through every time because it's so upbeat. :allears:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

So this week's episode was basically perfect. The deadpan humor is always sharp and the characters all really shine. I always love when comedy manages to make clever setups around the mundane, so every bit of it was a real treat.

Sometimes, I feel like I should be more annoyed at certain characters than I am, like Beppu. His character is one, big, eternal fat joke, but I can only half-roll my eyes cuz it's somehow just constant and gentle enough that it never becomes grating. Some character's shallowness can be so through, it's almost like depth.

He's a badass this episode anyway, so who cares i guess

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Pootybutt posted:

Sometimes, I feel like I should be more annoyed at certain characters than I am, like Beppu. His character is one, big, eternal fat joke, but I can only half-roll my eyes cuz it's somehow just constant and gentle enough that it never becomes grating. Some character's shallowness can be so through, it's almost like depth.
I just love how confidently and slyly he states "I am not very fond... of running."

Also, in the scene where Hachiken hands over his cell phone to Beppu, Beppu's hand is bigger than Hachiken's head.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah Beppu is obviously self-aware about his weight and while jokes are made and gags used, they don't feel malicious. It's more just, oh hey he's fat and gets in trouble/deals with stuff a fat person would. He isn't used as a measuring stick against the protagonist as an example of failure or whatever, he's just another person.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Haven't read the manga at all, but Tamako seems like someone who's satisfied with her own size as well.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Haven't read the manga at all, but Tamako seems like someone who's satisfied with her own size as well.

She definitely is. She can slim down and become conventionally attractive, but hates doing it because he has a huge appetite and feels like she's starving hen she does.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's not a super perfect representation of a fat person (in the manga there's a part that implies that fat people can slim down whenever they want) but it's not so terrible about this kind of thing that I can't recommend it to people. This separates it from basically all other anime!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
At the very least, it isn't "being fat is terrible and shameful and makes you a bad person."

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Please work out.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Had that have featured Nakijima-sensei (the true star of this show), that might have been my favourite episode of any anime ever. As it was, it was just exceptional.

Despite being so predictable, this series is just a joy to watch in basically every way.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
For anyone who likes the anime and wants to check out the manga, a rough episode-to-chapter equivalence chart. Keep in mind that thus far it doesn't follow the manga exactly, but it mixes chapters up a bit.

Episode 1 - chapter 1 and part of chapter 2.
Episode 2 - part of chapter 2, chapter 3, part of chapter 4.
Episode 3 - part of chapter 4, chapters 5 through 7.
Episode 4 - chapters 8 through 10.
Episode 5 - chapters 30 and 31.

It's very likely that chapters 11-29 won't be skipped by the anime, since there is quite a bit of character development in them.

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007
Most of the remaining chapters will require multi-episode arcs, though, so it'll be interesting to see how that's handled.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mikl posted:

For anyone who likes the anime and wants to check out the manga, a rough episode-to-chapter equivalence chart. Keep in mind that thus far it doesn't follow the manga exactly, but it mixes chapters up a bit.

It's very likely that chapters 11-29 won't be skipped by the anime, since there is quite a bit of character development in them.
Thanks for this, I knew that harvester didn't happen this early in the series. Fun as hell episode though!

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The ending song to this is still catchy as hell. And I didn't remember the harvester bit from the manga at all.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Episode 6 was pretty good. Something about the anime makes--well I mean I guess this is only a natural effect of any decent adaption but--Komaba feels a lot more three dimensional to me. In the comic he just struck me as the baseball jock/potential romantic rival, but he stands out more here as a member of the supporting cast, and an example that Hachiken can learn from. That feeling of extra texture also applies to hard lesson moments; the voice acting and direction and music all do a good job of underscoring the weight of Hachiken absorbing the stuff that happens to him

I guess what I'm saying is 6 episodes in I noticed how good of an adaptation this is :shepface:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Everything in the bed of the pickup truck towards the end was totally brilliant.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Everything in the bed of the pickup truck towards the end was totally brilliant.

Fuckin' bears, man. Always ruining the day.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
This series is really good at capturing the stoic moments and the silly moments.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Nahxela posted:

This series is really good at capturing the stoic moments and the silly moments.

It feels like a somewhat stylized version of actual life, which is really weird for a anime show to even be vaguely in the ballpark.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Arakawa is nothing if not thorough. She takes regular breaks from putting out new chapters of the manga so she can do more research, so that she portrays things as accurately as possible. It's admirable dedication! And apparently she also does a second manga series alongside this one, which I think is baaaaanaaaaanaaaaas.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Captain Invictus posted:

Arakawa is nothing if not thorough. She takes regular breaks from putting out new chapters of the manga so she can do more research, so that she portrays things as accurately as possible. It's admirable dedication! And apparently she also does a second manga series alongside this one, which I think is baaaaanaaaaanaaaaas.

Arslan is a monthly manga, which makes it a little less bananas. It also only started last month (July).

EDIT: Hachiken's VA absolutely nails the laugh at the end of the episode.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 16, 2013

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Captain Invictus posted:

That research probably explains why she is drawing Arslan. It is based on a novel, so she doesn't have to do research. And she probably wants to draw as a break from researching cows.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah, I don't know much of anything about the other series, I had forgotten the name too.

I'm guessing the research is more to update her knowledge on how modern farms operate since I'm guessing a lot of her initial knowledge comes from when she was a kid and things have changed quite a bit since then technology-wise.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

Ah, I don't know much of anything about the other series, I had forgotten the name too.

I'm guessing the research is more to update her knowledge on how modern farms operate since I'm guessing a lot of her initial knowledge comes from when she was a kid and things have changed quite a bit since then technology-wise.

The other series she's doing is based on a novel authored by the man who. Created Legend of The Galactic Heroes, so all in all, I think Arakawa can probably pull double duty just fine, taking into account how ridiculously detailed Mister Tanaka is when it comes to his own work.

On Silver Spoon-related news, series owns bones and I kinda wish my computer hadn't died on me so I could enjoy the first 6 episodes with y'all.

Also, I find it hard to listen to Hachiken without hearing the guy from Haganai and-- OH, they're voiced by the same VA. Nevermind then. :stare:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Oh man, (ep6)the interaction between Hachiken and Mikage's father was fantastic. Looking forward to more of that.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mo_Steel posted:

Oh man, (ep6)the interaction between Hachiken and Mikage's father was fantastic. Looking forward to more of that.

That had better be a recurring gag if he shows up later.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Gouda pizza test results:

Very goud-a indeed.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Mikl posted:

Episode 6 - chapters 11 through 15, though skipping most of chapter 11 (minor spoiler regarding what was skipped, though it may come into play later: sports festival, their school versus the neighbouring industrial school) and cutting some minor things from the other chapters.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
I'm willing to admit my dad and uncles might not be the fastest in the world but it takes them the better part of a day to clean a deer. Granted the one in the show is really small but you also need to make allowances for walking someone through it for the first time. It would probably take more than a couple of hours like they suggested.

Also I think they kind of undersold the harvester from the last episode. I was standing next to a combine a few weeks ago and those things are freakin' huge. The top of the cab was at least two stories high.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Joshlemagne posted:

I'm willing to admit my dad and uncles might not be the fastest in the world but it takes them the better part of a day to clean a deer. Granted the one in the show is really small but you also need to make allowances for walking someone through it for the first time. It would probably take more than a couple of hours like they suggested.

Also I think they kind of undersold the harvester from the last episode. I was standing next to a combine a few weeks ago and those things are freakin' huge. The top of the cab was at least two stories high.

Nah it shouldn't take a whole day to clean a deer, I think your dad and uncles are probably just busy chatting and drinking beers; I know that is what happens when my stepdad and his buddies go hunting. It would take a while when you walk someone through it the first time, but I also think it would be even harder to skin it with it laying on the ground. All the ones I have ever cleaned you hang them up. Another thing is anytime I have ever killed a deer or been hunting with someone who did, you gut the animal right there where you killed it. You don't really want to leave the innards and stuff in there while you are travelling in case they burst and ruin the meat.

Anyways this show is really great. I grew up in rural West Virginia and where my family lives the cell service is super spotty, the only internet available is by satellite, and no pizza place delivers out that far so I can kind of relate to this show. It is just a refreshing show I don't know what else to say about it. I just have the biggest and dumbest grin the whole time I watch it. Any show that makes me do that is 5 stars in my book.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

coreycoryecorey posted:

Nah it shouldn't take a whole day to clean a deer, I think your dad and uncles are probably just busy chatting and drinking beers; I know that is what happens when my stepdad and his buddies go hunting. It would take a while when you walk someone through it the first time, but I also think it would be even harder to skin it with it laying on the ground. All the ones I have ever cleaned you hang them up. Another thing is anytime I have ever killed a deer or been hunting with someone who did, you gut the animal right there where you killed it. You don't really want to leave the innards and stuff in there while you are travelling in case they burst and ruin the meat.

Anyways this show is really great. I grew up in rural West Virginia and where my family lives the cell service is super spotty, the only internet available is by satellite, and no pizza place delivers out that far so I can kind of relate to this show. It is just a refreshing show I don't know what else to say about it. I just have the biggest and dumbest grin the whole time I watch it. Any show that makes me do that is 5 stars in my book.

Not a whole day the better part of one. Like four or five hours maybe. But yeah I doubt they are trying to set any speed records.

And I assumed he didn't gut the deer right there because it was only a mile or so up the road to the farm so it was probably easier than trying to do it there rather than on the side of the road in the dark. They also make a big deal about bears so he might have felt it was unsafe there. And he also admits he wants to gently caress with Hachiken so if it was already gutted that would remove a big part of that.

Speaking of bears I'm kind of surprised Japan would still have any. The UK managed to extinct all its large predators centuries ago. Get with the program, Japan :colbert:.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Joshlemagne posted:

Not a whole day the better part of one. Like four or five hours maybe. But yeah I doubt they are trying to set any speed records.

And I assumed he didn't gut the deer right there because it was only a mile or so up the road to the farm so it was probably easier than trying to do it there rather than on the side of the road in the dark. They also make a big deal about bears so he might have felt it was unsafe there. And he also admits he wants to gently caress with Hachiken so if it was already gutted that would remove a big part of that.

Speaking of bears I'm kind of surprised Japan would still have any. The UK managed to extinct all its large predators centuries ago. Get with the program, Japan :colbert:.
They are in Hokkaido. The Japanese only settled there about a century ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

tonberrytoby posted:

They are in Hokkaido. The Japanese only settled there about a century ago.

New Ep! Hachiken & Aki literal horses together forever :3:

• Locked thread