Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Toshimo posted:

He's Japanese. He probably has a subscription.

She.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Imma double down on my statement, then.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Xelkelvos posted:

Does Arakawa has father issues?

Not that I know of. She drew a manga about her life growing up in a farm in Hokkaido, and by reading it you get the feeling that her dad's a nice person who she really gets along great with.

So :iiam:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

OnimaruXLR posted:

Hachiken's Dad gives off a different impression to me, in the anime. Like in the manga I got the feeling he was basically the Undertaker, but in the anime he seems more ice cold and less like a frightening force of supernatural terror. Guess the addition of sound and color and less impressionistic background effects and whatnot puts him more in the context of the story, which isn't a bad change

Soooo :iceburn:

Yeah, the lack of deep shadows makes him seem less severe.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Is it just me, or does Hachiken actually benefit from his current... uh, educational institution better than from your average cram school or whatever? Well, unless he needs to cram for lovely entrance exams, I feel the guy is way ahead of his age and is learning important management, stress tolerance, etc. skills way more than his peers in some "elite school" could. Well, this is from our point of view as we get to view all his exploits, but it might not show on paper and thus be important for his future. Dude needs to start a business once he grows up and use his learned skills to great effect and kick his competition to the curb because he has potential to surpass archaic Japanese business and employment models... Ugh, I guess this is quite a tangent.

I mean him studying where he's studying isn't just beneficial because of "feel-good" stuff or because of building character. He's actually learning stuff relevant for "white collar" work as well.

edit: And his dad is a fool for not recognizing this.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 15, 2014

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Dessel posted:

Is it just me, or does Hachiken actually benefit from his current... uh, educational institution better than from your average cram school or whatever? Well, unless he needs to cram for lovely entrance exams, I feel the guy is way ahead of his age and is learning important management, stress tolerance, etc. skills way more than his peers in some "elite school" could. Well, this is from our point of view as we get to view all his exploits, but it might not show on paper and thus be important for his future. Dude needs to start a business once he grows up and use his learned skills to great effect and kick his competition to the curb because he has potential to surpass archaic Japanese business and employment models... Ugh, I guess this is quite a tangent.

I mean him studying where he's studying isn't just beneficial because of "feel-good" stuff or because of building character. He's actually learning stuff relevant for "white collar" work as well.

Spoiler for what comes next in the manga!

His father actually cares very much about Hachiken (and his brother), he's only real bad at expressing it. He simply wants to give them a good education and a head start in life, so their lives would be less hard than his.

Later in the manga, after some poo poo happens, Hachiken decides that in the future he wants to be an entrepreneur and create a company of his own using what he learned at Ezono. Since his parents had saved some money to send him to college, he asks his father to give the money to him instead. His father's answer is basically "Show me a well put-together business plan, and then we'll talk about it."

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dessel posted:

I think that's going to be how the conflict resolves. His dad is narrow minded and can't see past the traditional structure, but somehow Hachiken will convince him to look outside the box.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ViggyNash posted:

I think that's going to be how the conflict resolves. His dad is narrow minded and can't see past the traditional structure, but somehow Hachiken will convince him to look outside the box.
There's a difference between not being able to see past the traditional structure and looking at the odds of success of a particular course of action and concluding that, on balance, the risk-averse path has a higher EV. Parents don't want their kids to be stuck in a stifling situation, but they don't want them to crash and burn Icarus style either.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love Hachiken's dad because he's never unreasonable or actually evil, just conventional and distant. He doesn't represent dad problems as much as a wider apathy the universe shows to what the main cast cares about (and because he doesn't say what he's feeling, he may care more than it appears at first glance, or could come to care). In the world of the story, it's also completely believable that he would get married and that he loves his kids while pissing them off.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
:neckbeard: The full version of the ED is out! :neckbeard:

EDIT: Taken down from youtube in a flash! Welp. Here it is on my dropbox.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 23, 2014

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007
New ep's up.

Man, I was not looking forward to this arc. :ohdear:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Well, if nothing else, Komaba has the "intimidating look at baserunner" thing down pat.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Man, they're really foreshadowing that something bad is going to happen with Komaba. I had my money down on him getting injured but now that they're out of the tournament...

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I hope the horse-jumping analogy works here after that. :ohdear:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Coughing Hobo posted:

Beats Tonari no Seki-kun for strangest dropping of the beat.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New episode! This is the plotline where I really fell in love with the series, just gut wrenching stuff that doesn't rely on contrivances. This season isn't as good an adaption as the first but they came through where it really counts.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9niRFPYGWBRSWJTNW9nYlp5aVE/edit

Here it is again for anyone who doesn't want to resort to :filez:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Man, Hachiken's VA absolutely sold it this episode, and the rest was just brilliant.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

The Devil Tesla posted:

just gut wrenching stuff that doesn't rely on contrivances

I was just thinking to myself during this episode, in any number of other shows Komaba's farm shutting down wouldn't have been treated as a lost cause. The protagonist and his friends would have teamed up and somehow raised the money to keep it running or some other outlandish thing. The fact that the story stays so grounded and actually allows something bad to happen to a major supporting character says a lot about the quality of the material in my opinion.

Edit: My bad, didn't even think about spoilers, fixed

Amstrad fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 7, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Spoilers man.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Dang, this episode :smithicide:

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
So, will Mikage break down and open up a bit or just beat the ever-lovin' gently caress outta Hachiken for manhandling her? Could go either way!

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

runupon cracker posted:

So, will Mikage break down and open up a bit or just beat the ever-lovin' gently caress outta Hachiken for manhandling her? Could go either way!

Haha, no it couldn't. :rolleyes:

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

runupon cracker posted:

Are we watching the same show? Mikage is the archetypal meek anime girl.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Acer Pilot posted:

I don't think the archetypical meek anime girls are good at hard labor or riding horses or have the ability to engage in conversations with boys without turning beet red and hiding behind an oneesama-type.

Mikage is just awkward. Which makes her a good match for Hachiken.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Acer Pilot posted:

The rest of us are, but I'm not sure about you.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Mikage is just awkward. Which makes her a good match for Hachiken.

Less awkward than just passive, I think. I feel like that's what this episode was about, everyone just passively accepting their fates with a "Well, what can you do?" perspective.

I think it's really neat that the show explores both extremes: it looks at how people in the agriculture world will watch their life fall apart and not really do anything about it, but on the other hand there's Hachiken who works so hard to achieve what no one else will that it puts him in the hospital.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 8, 2014

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Hm, differing opinions. It just seems more and more like that in the manga.

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007
Mikage certainly has confidence issues when dealing with stuff she's not familiar with, but I don't think that's the same thing.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

I think it's really neat that the show explores both extremes: it looks at how people in the agriculture world will watch their life fall apart and not really do anything about it, but on the other hand there's Hachiken who works so hard to achieve what no one else will that it puts him in the hospital.

I think the reason that this works is that neither Hachiken nor his friends feel like they're responding in a completely irrational way; they both have their reasons for feeling like they do.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Another fantastic episode and more character growth. We're reaching probably my favorite part in the manga.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

This arc just tears at your heart. :(

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
It was pretty weird how they had the end credits in the middle of the episode. Maybe they didn't want the cheery music to ruin the dramatic moment, but still...

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The fact it does made the manga just stand out more. It didn't go for the protagonist solves everything route but adds shades of reality for the whole thing to hurt. Debts are serious things that are just so overwhelming and it was just told so depressingly well

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I noticed that Komaba's mom drives a Mk. 1 Volkswagen GTI. She's got some taste.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

This arc just tears at your heart. :(

Also this.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
So now the question is, will Mikage's dad rip Hachiken a new rear end in a top hat for filling Mikage's head full of "I have a dream" crap, or give her poo poo for needing some city kid to prop up her courage? Or both. I just don't see him being terribly understanding.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

This second season of the anime has really bad pacing, compared to the first season and especially compared to the manga. It's still a really good show, but I think they could have done it a lot better.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The pacing seems fine to me, but then I haven't read the manga, so. I'm going to be pretty much obliged to when the show finishes in two episodes though.

How far ahead of where the show is likely to finish is the manga at the moment?

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
The latest released chapter was 96, the chapter the episode just ended with was 68.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

This second season of the anime has really bad pacing, compared to the first season and especially compared to the manga. It's still a really good show, but I think they could have done it a lot better.

I think the pacing is fine actually, and not too different from the first season. It feels a lot harder and faster mostly because the climax is a lot higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007
I don't like how this week's episode was structured. I can understand why the writers did it, mind; their only alternatives were front-loading the show by putting the heavy stuff right at the start, or breaking up the story arc such that the Mikage family meeting took up one whole episode. But it spoils one of the series' most important moments for people who haven't read the manga.

Anyway, one more episode (and one more screaming soliloquy from Hachiken) to go before we wrap up this arc and this season! With the manga still ongoing and a live-action movie coming out later this year, the franchise isn't going to lose name recognition any time soon, so here's hoping for a renewal.

• Locked thread