Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yep, it's as good as ever. I don't think we have to worry about the team changes ruining the show in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
New OP/ED are way better than S1's, excellent.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Emalde posted:

New OP/ED are way better than S1's, excellent.

I dunno, I really though last season's ED was quite fitting.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I burst out laughing at the bra joke, such a hilarious twist.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Amstrad posted:

It was, but the new one is real drat good.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

paragon1 posted:

It was, but the new one is real drat good.

Yeah, I really like the new ED.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Chiming in to say I also really like the new ED, and also I feel like the animation was noticeably improved in this episode.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Amstrad posted:

I'm a big fan of the first ED, too, but new one is also pretty cool.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ahhh, such a good episode this week. It feels very much like a middle chapter where the protagonist mostly fucks up but grows a lot, and the show did a good job of making that funny. I thought last week was a little messy but this week was much more together.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I didn't feel the usual charm as much with this episode. It seemed like it was trying a bit too hard to keep the comedy going despite the more serious tone. But it did give us a sense of this season's overarching theme.

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007
This week's episode was disappointing. It should have been much more dramatic, especially in the score, and they had to cut some significant bits from the original to fit it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Thunk posted:

This week's episode was disappointing. It should have been much more dramatic, especially in the score, and they had to cut some significant bits from the original to fit it.

I don't know anything about the manga, but I loved this episode as it felt like a return to form after the meh episode last week.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
This episode was pretty familiar to me, because it's all about show jumping and my mom is really into that. Hachiken needs to learn to not be so competitive all the time.

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

This episode was pretty familiar to me, because it's all about show jumping and my mom is really into that. Hachiken needs to learn to not be so competitive all the time.

Yeah, but "competitive" is pretty much the defining trait of his upbringing up to now.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

How important are the horse bits going to keep being? I don't really care about horses.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Davincie posted:

How important are the horse bits going to keep being? I don't really care about horses.

Marron is gonna be the new main character, and the show is about Mikage and her climb towards greatest show jumper in the world.

~She speaks with horses!

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007

Davincie posted:

There will be further references to horses, animals in general, and the theme of how farm animals lead pretty lovely lives when you think about it. But honestly, if you say you don't care about horses, then the only answers are (a) "Then this isn't the show for you", or (b) "You will".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Davincie posted:

How do you not care about horses?

But yea, there's a decent amount more animal analogies coming up, that's a major thing in this series.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Davincie posted:

I also do not care about horses at all, but I keep reading the manga. There's a couple scenes all throughout where horses matter and come up by virtue of Hachiken being in the horse club, but the show holds up. Just stick with it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tatum Girlparts posted:

How do you not care about horses?
Real horses suck.

But I still absolutely adore SS and the horses therein, because they are not the aforementioned sucky real horses.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I think this episode would have worked better as a two episode mini-arc. As it was, all the things they put in were way too compressed, and they even cut some bits to make it fit in twenty-something minutes.

Just pace the episode better, so you hit the twenty-minute mark just when Hachiken falls off the horse. Then everybody shouts, and the ED starts rolling.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The pacing felt perfect to me. I don't know what else was in the manga, but I didn't think that there needed to be any more in that episode.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The main sticking point with this episode to me is not whether it was good or bad, but that it was a bad adaptation of the source material. For one, there are at least a couple of jokes we see the beginning or the payoff of, but not the whole joke, and overall it doesn't make a lot of sense.

For instance: why did Sakae (the bicoloured-hair girl in the equestrian club) tearfully hand Hachiken Maron's reins after her run?

In the manga there was another contest before the one shown in the anime, a simple course one had to follow. Hachiken goes first and does an average time; then Sakae does her run, does a way better time, and actually wins the contest. Hachiken wonders what the hell, since they both rode Maron, and Mikage explains that Maron had memorized the course on Hachiken's run, hence he ran it much faster when Sakae was riding him.
Then there is the contest shown in the anime: Sakae messes up the order of the jumps, and when she's done she tearfully hands Maron's reins to Hachiken, saying "I'm sorry, now Maron will remember a wrong course..."

Another example: why did Hachiken tell Minamikujo that he'd give her a carrot later?

The setup for this joke goes way to the beginning of the episode, when Hachiken is nearly decapitated by a kick from Minamikujo's horse; the mark on his tail means that the horse has a habit to kick who stands behind him (not explained in the episode, but explained in the manga).
Later when Hachiken breaks his brother's phone in half, his brother says "You're too naive, Yuugo, if you just break it in half I can still get the data out of the memory card."
Then he accidentally stands behind Minamikujo's horse, and the phone is pulverized by a kick from said horse :allears: so Hachiken asks Minamikujo if it's alright for him to give the horse a carrot, and she says "Of course."
Then later, when Minamikujo's words help Mikage recover from her funk, Hachiken says he'll give Minamikujo a carrot.

Also, one minor detail, but one that stuck me when I saw it, is that they messed up Mikage's face while she watches Hachiken do his run. Compare:

With the bottom left of this page.
Different expressions, and the one in the manga can be given an interpretation besides "he's riding very well", namely that while Mikage clearly had a thing for Hachiken before this, this is the first time she really realizes he can actually be kinda cool when he puts his head to it.

Short version of the above:

quote:

They messed up in adapting from the manga to the anime
:qqsay:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
They didn't mess up, they intentionally modified it. They trimmed what they felt wasn't necessary, rewrote it a little to fill in the cracks, and for me it worked just fine. You're way too hung up over accuracy.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Nope, I'm not. I had absolutely zero complaints when they did the same thing during the first season, because back then they did it well. It's not what they did, it's how they did it.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
I've been waiting for this episode for while now mostly because I wanted to see how they handled this for when Mikage says yes.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Breadmaster posted:

I've been waiting for this episode for while now mostly because I wanted to see how they handled this for when Mikage says yes.

They nailed it IMHO

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

They nailed it IMHO

I didn't know what was coming up since I did not read the manga. The confetti *pop* in the beginning killed me. Everything else in that scene was just extra greatness.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I like the triple-alarm-clock setup Hachiken had going on there.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I really like what they did with the ED this episode.

Also, while I still think the horse contest episode was badly paced, they did the right thing by shuffling around storyarcs. In the manga it was festival preparation - horseriding contest - festival preparation, by shifting the contest to first place the festival preparation felt more coherent as a whole.

e: Regarding the next episode (this is probably a spoiler for whoever doesn't read the manga, so read at your own risk), do we already know who's the voice actor for Hachiken's dad?

Mikl fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 8, 2014

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007

Mikl posted:

e: Regarding the next episode (this is probably a spoiler for whoever doesn't read the manga, so read at your own risk), do we already know who's the voice actor for Hachiken's dad?

Mitsuru Fukikoshi

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I have no idea who this is, and by googling apparently he hasn't done anything in the anime industry before (except for a bit part in the Space Brothers live-action movie). Let's hope it turns out well.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I only know him from Samurai Fiction. If he sounds like back then, he would be better suited to play Hachiken himself.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

drat that was a brutal episode.

And there's our "antagonist" of the show! It's another round of "Father" being the main obstacle in an Arakawa work.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Episode 6 - That was heavier than I expected. The other hospital patient going back to his book suddenly was a nice touch.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I look forward to how they're going to cut the intro to the ED almost as much as I do the actual episode.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Hachiken's Dad gives off a different impression to me, in the anime. Like in the manga I got the feeling he was basically the Undertaker, but in the anime he seems more ice cold and less like a frightening force of supernatural terror. Guess the addition of sound and color and less impressionistic background effects and whatnot puts him more in the context of the story, which isn't a bad change

Soooo :iceburn:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

pandaK posted:

drat that was a brutal episode.

And there's our "antagonist" of the show! It's another round of "Father" being the main obstacle in an Arakawa work.

Does Arakawa has father issues?

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

Hachiken's Dad gives off a different impression to me, in the anime. Like in the manga I got the feeling he was basically the Undertaker, but in the anime he seems more ice cold and less like a frightening force of supernatural terror. Guess the addition of sound and color and less impressionistic background effects and whatnot puts him more in the context of the story, which isn't a bad change

Plus, y'know, we actually see his face moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Xelkelvos posted:

Does Arakawa has father issues?

He's Japanese. He probably has a subscription.

• Locked thread