Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Man, I hope no one goes into this show expecting a hyper-gratutious amount of man candy and comical levels of uncool dancing in the ED.

Anyway, more to the point, the first episode was pretty good! I was worried that a show like this might make for a terrible anime adaptation in the wrong hands, but the staff did a good job of bringing across the very nuts and boltsy depiction of how the school works. Hachiken's neuroses were portrayed pretty well too with maybe the exception being that chicken anus joke felt like it went on forevvvver. But then again, the payoff at the end of the episode was good, so I can't complain too much

Also, it's quite clear that the staff knows what's up, given the fact that they seem to recognize Tamako as the best character :kamina:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Episode 6 was pretty good. Something about the anime makes--well I mean I guess this is only a natural effect of any decent adaption but--Komaba feels a lot more three dimensional to me. In the comic he just struck me as the baseball jock/potential romantic rival, but he stands out more here as a member of the supporting cast, and an example that Hachiken can learn from. That feeling of extra texture also applies to hard lesson moments; the voice acting and direction and music all do a good job of underscoring the weight of Hachiken absorbing the stuff that happens to him

I guess what I'm saying is 6 episodes in I noticed how good of an adaptation this is :shepface:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Hachiken's Dad gives off a different impression to me, in the anime. Like in the manga I got the feeling he was basically the Undertaker, but in the anime he seems more ice cold and less like a frightening force of supernatural terror. Guess the addition of sound and color and less impressionistic background effects and whatnot puts him more in the context of the story, which isn't a bad change

Soooo :iceburn:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Acer Pilot posted:

Are we watching the same show? Mikage is the archetypal meek anime girl.

I don't think the archetypical meek anime girls are good at hard labor or riding horses or have the ability to engage in conversations with boys without turning beet red and hiding behind an oneesama-type.

Mikage is just awkward. Which makes her a good match for Hachiken.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Franz von Dada posted:

Don't know why Arakawa couldn't just make them "official" already. It's not like it would ruin the cast dymanic or anything. I know some are already annoyed by the fact that she keeps dragging it on.

poo poo like this baffles me. They are for all intents and purposes dating, except for the fact that there hasn't been some asinine, contrived "confession" scene and they're not sucking face all the time, so why do these two facts somehow make them not a couple? They're both clearly awkward as hell when it comes to romance and they're dealing with more pressing, important priorities looming large in their lives.

Folks who are impatient with these kids oughta go cram a shoujo manga in their mouths. AND I'M GLAD THERE WAS NO KISS AT THE END OF FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST, OR PACIFIC RIM! :colbert:

• Locked thread