Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Based on the manga by Hiromu Arakawa (Full Metal Alchemist), Silver Spoon is the story of Hachiken Yugo, a city-kid honor-student who attends an agricultural boarding school in a desperate attempt to get away from his family. His life at school soon turns into a never ending nightmare of hard labor, animal slaughter, and a bunch of kids who have put way more thought into the rest of their lives than Hachiken.

The manga is firmly a slice of life kind of thing, but even within that structure Hiromu Arakawa tells a good story. As the initial culture shock wears off, Hachiken makes friends and get in tune with the ups and downs of country life (and also how great fresh food tastes). The supporting cast is fantastic, and learning about what makes them tick drives the story forward. There's a lot of great world detail here as well, which Arakawa based on her life growing up in Hokkaido.

The first episode of the anime is a really solid adaptation. A-1 Pictures doesn't do anything revolutionary, but they pull off some great scenes, and the whole thing is just fun to watch. Definitely pick this up.

It's streaming on Crunchyroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Aki Mikage likes horses.

Ichiro Komaba likes baseball.

Tamako Inada likes making money off of her family's huge industrial farm.

Shinnosuke Aikawa wants to be a veterinarian.

Keiji Tokiwa is bad at math (but good at farming).

devtesla fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 12, 2013

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zorak posted:

Corrected threat title to a better one

It's pretty great :)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It might be just me but I think the blurring makes it way funnier, and allows them to get away with a comic amount of blood.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Compendium posted:

It's understandable if certain farming aspects make people squeamish, but this says volumes about how separated some are from food production and its source and it made me kind of bitter. I'm taking my farming animes too seriously. :saddowns:

Actually, a huge theme of the show is the value knowing how your food is made.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I hope they end every ep with a bath scene :allears:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Real fun seeing the cast put that one together, and it was nice to see that Hachiken's first big triumph wasn't derailed by PLOT or something (which I was slightly concerned about when his old teacher showed up, among other things).

This is the kind of thing that I love about Silver Spoon, the plot is definitely moving forward (Hachiken being accidentally proactive is still a step above reactive) but it happens at a natural pace while a bunch of other stuff goes on. It feels right for the subject.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Valsu posted:

I was totally expecting the pizza to taste like garbage.

Your cynicism has no place in farming anime!!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CottonWolf posted:

That cheese... How can an anime look so tasty?

Wanna eat that anime.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's not a super perfect representation of a fat person (in the manga there's a part that implies that fat people can slim down whenever they want) but it's not so terrible about this kind of thing that I can't recommend it to people. This separates it from basically all other anime!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

tonberrytoby posted:

They are in Hokkaido. The Japanese only settled there about a century ago.

New Ep! Hachiken & Aki literal horses together forever :3:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thunk posted:

This is as good a place to break off as any. I heard somewhere the show was green-lit for a second season next fall.

Actually it's coming back in January, 24 episodes were ordered from the start.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jorenko posted:

But this is only episode 11. Do we know if there's still one next week?

I got the number wrong, it's 22 episodes. No Silver Spoon next week :(

If you don't stay through the end credits each time (how can you not??) make sure you do, they end on one of the best scenes in the manga.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can confirm: Hachiken Bakes A Pizza is basically the best thing to watch when you're having a bad day.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New ep up! It was clunker than I was hoping for but the new openings and endings are really really good and it's still gorgeous.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ahhh, such a good episode this week. It feels very much like a middle chapter where the protagonist mostly fucks up but grows a lot, and the show did a good job of making that funny. I thought last week was a little messy but this week was much more together.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Breadmaster posted:

I've been waiting for this episode for while now mostly because I wanted to see how they handled this for when Mikage says yes.

They nailed it IMHO

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love Hachiken's dad because he's never unreasonable or actually evil, just conventional and distant. He doesn't represent dad problems as much as a wider apathy the universe shows to what the main cast cares about (and because he doesn't say what he's feeling, he may care more than it appears at first glance, or could come to care). In the world of the story, it's also completely believable that he would get married and that he loves his kids while pissing them off.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Coughing Hobo posted:

:neckbeard: The full version of the ED is out! :neckbeard:

EDIT: Taken down from youtube in a flash! Welp. Here it is on my dropbox.

Beats Tonari no Seki-kun for strangest dropping of the beat.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New episode! This is the plotline where I really fell in love with the series, just gut wrenching stuff that doesn't rely on contrivances. This season isn't as good an adaption as the first but they came through where it really counts.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Last ep up! God I love this series so much. Really sad that we didn't get a new season announcement at the end there, but that's the norm with noitaminA shows.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Aniplex of America announced the home video release of Silver Spoon season one and it's barebones and expensive. DVD only, Japanese with subtitles, $60. I'm sad to see that we're not getting a dub because I'd like to show it to people who don't watch anime a lot, and if it's not HD I'd rather watch it streaming. At least we have Crunchyroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
In an unrelated note, Outbreak Company is getting a dub.

• Locked thread