Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dijon du jour posted:

You can still get treasures after the Water Wraith shows up on a floor, it's just difficult and very, very harrowing. I've done it, though. You have to learn where the Wraith will and will not go so you know where to hide until it loses interest in you and rolls elsewhere in the level so you can run out and move the treasure as much as you can before he comes back. Also: get the treasure furthest away from the ship first.
It's not the game's fault you had less fun by taking the wussy way out. :smugbert:

Regy Rusty posted:

That's not true at all. The experience I just described (the leading the Wraith away from your carriers part) and the fun of the Submerged Castle in my opinion is getting the remaining treasures even with the Wraith bearing down on you. In all the times I've played Pikmin 2 I've never left a dungeon without getting all the treasures in it.

Bwuh wha...the strategy guide lied to me :qq:

Or maybe it didn't and I was just to terrified of that place to change the way I did it after the first time. I always thought the water wraith homed in on all your pikmin and there was no way to actually carry anything to the ship without it rolling up and squashing everything. I wonder how much other stuff I don't know about these games.

VVVV I never found Titan Dweevil to be hard because all of his attacks are element based. So aside from the electric field you can save your Pikmin from everything he throws at you. He clearly broadcasts what he is going to do next, so avoiding his only instant kill attack is easy. If you couldn't save your pikmin from the rest of his moves he would be WAY harder.

He's still cool as hell and fun to fight though.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I know this is a ten year old game but I'll use spoiler tags anyway.

I loved Pikmin 2. It took Pikmin 1 and made it almost perfect (the OP spelled out how really well in the first post)

But, the thing that I probably love the most about Pikmin 2 was the super optional but nearly impossible final boss Titan Dweevil at the end of a very very hard cave consisting of 14 floors. Titan Dweevil was the giant bug thing that Louie was a part of that spewed fire, water, lightning, and poison gas. What floored me was just how hard that last boss was. I was thinking, this is a Nintendo game, and it took everything I had to beat that bad guy! It felt so good to finally win.

How many of you managed to actually take that final bad guy out?

The only other time I can think that Nintendo included such an insanely difficult alternate task in a video game was the final star for "The Perfect Run" in Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Let's hope they have some really really really hard optional final boss in Pikmin 3.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Spectacle Rock posted:

I remember when I fought that guy, I had a foolproof plan. First, I was going to leave my entire army in one of the side pockets in the cave where none of the boss' attacks could reach. Then I would take out all the Yellow Pikmin to take out the boss' electric weapon, because electricity kills non-yellows immediately. Then I would take a group of Purples and wail on the boss after that, because Pikmin are easily saved from poison, water, and fire. Foolproof plan.

Except: it turns out the water attack will sometimes reach the outer pockets of the cave, so I came back with my Yellows to find that every Pikmin except Blues were dead. :negative:

So you know what I did? I beat the boss with nothing but Blues and Yellows. It took forever, but victory was so very sweet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The trick is really to mainly fight him with yellows. The ability to latch onto his weapons regardless of their position outweighs everything else.

My usual strategy is to take out the water gun first since it can attack the people outside the arena and then the electric one. That way if I do screw up and get my Yellow squad killed, it's not too difficult to use reds to take out the last two weapons.

My favorite part of the Titan Dweevil is the fact that he's one of the few bosses they designed that you really can't use purples to cheese.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 14, 2013

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The best strategy I found was actually to use yellows for the whole fight, and just only attack during titan dweevil's electric move. Going for the water weapon first lets the rest of your squad stay safe since no other weapons can reach them outside the arena. Then you just run away when he gets out the fire or poison weapon, and it's simple from there.

I liked that each of the weapons had its own musical theme that would play when he was using it. And also when he became totally defenseless at the end when his armor fell apart, so you could just call your entire squad in and beat him senseless.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Since we're talking strategies for Titan Dweevil I'll post mine that finally worked.

I too had the problem of the water attack reaching the Pikmin I thought would be safe in a corner. Instead the water attack still got em and they died.

So, I had Olimar take an army of a single color and had the President stay in the corner with the rest of my pikmin. I would have Olimar attack the weapon the current Pikmin are immune to and retreat/dodge during all other attacks.

When the dreaded water attack happened I would switch to the President. If you spam the whistle on Pikmin that are attacked with water they won't die.

So then you just keep taking out the weapons. Also use your potions. You can temporarily freeze the enemy with one potion and increase the melee damage your Pikmin do with another potion.

When a weapon is destroyed, change the color of Pikmin Olimar is controlling and take out the next weapon using a Pikmin that is resistant to it.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
gently caress, I'm going to have to play through Pikmin 2 again now. Reading this thread reminded me how much I liked those games.

Remember how the blue pikmin will save drowning ones? :3:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Spectacle Rock posted:

I only beat it a year or two ago.

I still haven't gotten the Doomsday Apparatus though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Titan Dweevil aside, I'm curious to how many people managed to perfect challenge mode and find out Louie's secret :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Titan Dweevil aside, I'm curious to how many people managed to perfect challenge mode and find out Louie's secret :v:

I actually found Challenge Mode easier because you got exactly the tools you needed, instead of having to experiment in an extremely hostile enviroment.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Fawf posted:

The Pikmin 2 multiplayer is so loving good and is secretly the best part of the game. The Idle Thumbs guys have been occasionally steaming it lately and watching it in action shows the weird amount of apparent effort the developers put into a mode that could have easily been an afterthought like the Metroid Prime 2 multiplayer.

Listen to this guy. Pikmin 2's multiplayer is way more fun than it has any right to be. So many of the levels have surprisingly clever designs, and the amount of pure dickery you can pull is perfect for local play. If you don't have a Pikmin buddy, go get one. There's nothing like being less than a second away from victory when suddenly your bastard friend managed to steal your marble. :argh:

Also one of the levels has a boss that randomly shows up! :haw:

Pikmin 3's gonna be so good, guys.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I can't believe so many people like Pikmin 2 more than the first. Dreary, never-ending, randomized caves were really boring in comparison to the dense, cleverly plotted, beautiful environments in the original. I also missed the time aspect; I see why the time limit made some people anxious in the original, but the sequel completely freezing time in the caves was probably going way too far in the other direction. You lose a lot of the fun of the intense micromanaging when your not under ANY time restraint (even if it's just the daily sundown countdown every 10 minutes). The second commander was pretty cool though, as was the game's length and the new Pikmin.

Luckily it seems like 3 is going combine the best aspects of both games, and the new Pikmin look fun as heck, and I've basically been looking forward to this game for a decade so I'll be there on day one.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

mancalamania posted:

I can't believe so many people like Pikmin 2 more than the first. Dreary, never-ending, randomized caves were really boring in comparison to the dense, cleverly plotted, beautiful environments in the original. I also missed the time aspect; I see why the time limit made some people anxious in the original, but the sequel completely freezing time in the caves was probably going way too far in the other direction. You lose a lot of the fun of the intense micromanaging when your not under ANY time restraint (even if it's just the daily sundown countdown every 10 minutes). The second commander was pretty cool though, as was the game's length and the new Pikmin.

I completely agree with you on this, but I forgave Pikmin 2 everything as it had no time limit. Pikmin 1 ended just as I was getting really into it.

So far, despite not really having much of a command of Japanese, I have been enjoying playing Pikmin 3 more than the other two. I have yet to end up in any proper caves (I'm about 14 days in) and only beaten a couple of bosses, as I have mostly been focusing on collecting fruit to give myself plenty of breathing room for exploring.

One thing I am unclear on though, in the OP ThisIsACoolGuy said:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Despite this, it doesn't have the same super strict time limit of Pikmin 1, while at the same time you can't loiter around doing absolutely nothing like in Pikmin 2. At the end of each day your captains will need to consume a single unit of juice, and you can only get juice by finding fruits in the wild. Plants will grow back after a number of days so in theory you could extend it as much as you want but if you fail, it's a good ol fashion game over.

There seems to be a finite amount of fruit to collect, it doesn't grow back you find it buried or inside of bosses, so is it a (theoretically) endless game if you want it to be or do you have a limit (as at some point you will run out of fruit and so have to go home)? Or maybe it'll be one of those things where you get to a point and something convenient happens which means you can now loiter around as long as you like.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

To my shame I've still never managed to beat the Man-at-Legs level without any casualties. I looked up Louie's secret a long time ago.

mancalamania posted:

Luckily it seems like 3 is going combine the best aspects of both games, and the new Pikmin look fun as heck, and I've basically been looking forward to this game for a decade so I'll be there on day one.

I think generally most people really like the caves. I know I do. Having two different styles of gameplay really worked in the game's favor in my opinion. The challenge of the caves is your limited resources since you can't go back and get more Pikmin if they die. Maybe this isn't as challenging as time limit, but I like it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

shmee posted:

One thing I am unclear on though, in the OP ThisIsACoolGuy said:

There seems to be a finite amount of fruit to collect, it doesn't grow back you find it buried or inside of bosses, so is it a (theoretically) endless game if you want it to be or do you have a limit (as at some point you will run out of fruit and so have to go home)? Or maybe it'll be one of those things where you get to a point and something convenient happens which means you can now loiter around as long as you like.

Honestly I'm just parroting what I've read before and seen in other videos (In the original area the very first sunseed berry has a unripe one growing right by it)

If I'm wrong then I'll fix the OP but like I said, just going off what I've heard!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I thought the randomized caves added a lot of replay value to the game and they were one of the main reasons I played Pikmin 2 so many times. I wish more of them had interesting scenery though, like the first sublevel of the Snagret Hole.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I think the "playroom" themed floors are my favorite, even though they confuse me greatly.
Like, are they underground rooms? How does that even work? Are the houses buried? :psyduck:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dijon du jour posted:

I think the "playroom" themed floors are my favorite, even though they confuse me greatly.
Like, are they underground rooms? How does that even work? Are the houses buried? :psyduck:

My house had a totally awesome playroom in the basement so it didn't seem weird to me!

Well, not any weirder than anything else in the game. Like the tower occupied by a fish artillery gun hybrid that somehow manages to revive itself.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Pikmin and Pikmin 2 both fuckin' rule, but whenever I go back to the latter I always get thrown off for a second by the weird product placement.

It's just so unexpected.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Theres nothing like meta commentary on the Duracell battery or 7-up bottle caps claiming they are alien billboards or civilizations greatest feats.

My favorite is they claim a glove is a 5-man napsack.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
^^^^^^^^^^
Reading all the item descriptions was pretty much the best part of Pikmin 2. And that's saying a lot, considering how gosh-darn fun the game was.

I was never bothered any by the product placement in Pikmin 2. In fact, in my eyes it's an example of product placement done pretty well. Too often I've seen bad product placement that is extremely jarring and is obviously advertising to you. ("Hey Bob, have you heard of these new Dr. Scholls Inserts? Dr. Scholls Inserts provide all day comfort!" "Wow Ted! I am going to go and buy some Dr. Scholls Inserts at my local pharmacy! Anyway, back to the dead body we were examining...") while the products in Pikmin 2 are just sorta there.
They also help contribute to the meta-narrative that the world you're exploring is Earth.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 15, 2013

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Honestly I'm just parroting what I've read before and seen in other videos (In the original area the very first sunseed berry has a unripe one growing right by it)

If I'm wrong then I'll fix the OP but like I said, just going off what I've heard!

I'm just going by what you see on the GamePad after you complete a level. I'll spoiler it just in case:

The top says "Fruit Report" and the bit next to 17/66 is "Number of Fruit Collected". I don't know if there are 4 sunseed berries in the game, or in the areas I have discovered so this is just guesswork

The instruction manual is very light and doesn't really say anything about it.

Something that the instruction manual does seem to hint at which pleases me greatly is white and purple Pikmin seem like they will make an appearance. They are listed with their abilities, anyway.

EDIT: On a similar subject they do have the berries you collect to make the spicy and bitter sprays (the ones which gives Pikmin abilities) and those do grow back very quickly. Your Pikmin automatically keep returning to collect more so you could just leave a handful of them doing it all day if you wanted.

shmee fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 15, 2013

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dijon du jour posted:

^^^^^^^^^^
Reading all the item descriptions was pretty much the best part of Pikmin 2. And that's saying a lot, considering how gosh-darn fun the game was.

I was never bothered any by the product placement in Pikmin 2. In fact, in my eyes it's an example of product placement done pretty well. Too often I've seen bad product placement that is extremely jarring and is obviously advertising to you. ("Hey Bob, have you heard of these new Dr. Scholls Inserts? Dr. Scholls Inserts provide all day comfort!" "Wow Ted! I am going to go and buy some Dr. Scholls Inserts at my local pharmacy! Anyway, back to the dead body we were examining...") while the products in Pikmin 2 are just sorta there.
They also help contribute to the meta-narrative that the world you're exploring is Earth.

Yeah I was never bothered by the product placement in Pikmin 2 and in fact thought it was pretty funny. It didn't feel like they were there to get you to buy stuff, just that the world you are exploring is earth so finding tons of old discarded junk makes sense. Reading Olimar's thoughts about what they are and why they were made was neat, especially when you contrast them with the ship's* absurd sales pitches.

The fake Nintendo products were pretty amusing too.

*I can't remember if the AI had a name, I always just called him the ship.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

shmee posted:

Something that the instruction manual does seem to hint at which pleases me greatly is white and purple Pikmin seem like they will make an appearance. They are listed with their abilities, anyway.

They appear in Mission Mode and I think the multiplayer stuff.

Internet Kraken posted:

The fake Nintendo products were pretty amusing too.

The real Nintendo products were great too! Like some of the cards and the love tester from early in their history, and ROB and his disk things!

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Nothing quite like seeing the head of ROB which was previously in the belly of a slime spider....whole...somehow...

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fair enough! Seems strange that they'd spoil how many total fruits there are though (like the 3/4 on some of them). If you come to a conclusion though let me know and I'll edit accordingly, you're the one with the game after all :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pixeltendo posted:

Nothing quite like seeing the head of ROB which was previously in the belly of a slime spider....whole...somehow...

I didn't even notice that until I carried it to the ship because I was still shocked and dismayed by how easy that fight was. Raging Long Legs is so pathetically easy which is a massive disappointment since fighting your way through the Hole of Heroes is epic and challenging and then you face this really :effort: boss. Blah. No idea what they were thinking there.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I didn't even notice that until I carried it to the ship because I was still shocked and dismayed by how easy that fight was. Raging Long Legs is so pathetically easy which is a massive disappointment since fighting your way through the Hole of Heroes is epic and challenging and then you face this really :effort: boss. Blah. No idea what they were thinking there.

Dream Den and Cavern of Chaos are pretty brutal too so maybe it's just a relief one? :v:

I was terrified of the Raging Long Legs because of it's sudden appearance in a multiplayer game, before never ever appearing again.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Raging Long Legs is more "threatening" than "hard". I'm assuming it was nerfed at some point during development because, sure, it has those massive stompy feet but you'd have to be comatose to lose too many Pikmin to it.

Maybe it was meant to take you by surprise? Because if you aren't expecting it and are standing underneath it when it falls it could easily take out at least 90% of your Pikmin force, if not more.

e: Why did I use gender pronouns to refer to a spider?

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 15, 2013

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dijon du jour posted:

Raging Long Legs is more "threatening" than "hard". I'm assuming he was nerfed at some point during development because, sure, he has those massive stompy feet but you'd have to be comatose to lose too many Pikmin to him.

Maybe it was meant to take you by surprise? Because if you aren't expecting it and are standing underneath it when it falls it could easily take out at least 90% of your Pikmin force, if not more.

You'd have to really suck at pattern recognition to make it to the end of that cave and still be wandering into the middle of ominous empty arenas with your entire army in tow.

Anatharon posted:

I was terrified of the Raging Long Legs because of it's sudden appearance in a multiplayer game, before never ever appearing again.

Now when you are fighting against another human him suddenly appearing and stomping around is actually an issue!

I played the multiplayer with my brother a lot actually. The best map by far was the one set in the rusted arena, because it was covered in bomb rocks you could pick up and chuck into the other players army.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Man, I don't have a WiiU but reading this thread is making me want to play 2 again. That desire will probably hold until the exact moment I find myself standing at the entrance to the Submerged Castle. :smithicide: I just hate that frog so much.

In all the times I've played the game I've still never remembered to bring whites into that one cave with a buried treasure but no poison warning. Maybe this time.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

MissileWaster posted:

They appear in Mission Mode and I think the multiplayer stuff.

Aaah, better than nothing. The purple Pikmin remain my favourites. The way they sit if you leave them longer than a fraction of a second entertains me no end.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Fair enough! Seems strange that they'd spoil how many total fruits there are though (like the 3/4 on some of them). If you come to a conclusion though let me know and I'll edit accordingly, you're the one with the game after all :v:

Yeah it does, but I still think once you hit a certain point there will probably be a convenient plot twist that makes things endless, if you want them to be. I'll let you know once I do. At the moment I'm at a loss for what I am meant to do next but will work it out. Everything I need to do seems to require the blue Pikmin but I don't have them yet..

Anyway thoughts on Pikmin 3 so far, spoilered for the very squeamish:

PRO
* It's gorgeous.
* It seems the sense of humour of the original games is intact, but I am basing this off my wife giggling at all the text (especially the names given to the fruits) rather than any personal understanding.
* You can tap the GamePad at the start of the level, and browse the map on it. At the same time the TV will show you an over the top view so you can see where enemies etc are. It only shows you areas you have already been to and discovered though, so you can't use it to find out what to do next (though it has helped me with one puzzle so far).
* The save game system is great, as you can start at the beginning of any day. Get to day 15 and realise you screwed up day 12, well then just start on day 12 again.
* Enemies stay dead for a day or two, so you can focus on killing everything one day, and then spend the next just picking up all the goodies.
* The map on the GamePad shows you where the Pikmin you have lost are!

CON
* Days still seem a little short for me. I often find myself just getting somewhere and HURRY UP appears on the screen.
* Neither the GamePad nor the WiiMote seem to have all the functions needed to play, so I am using both, which is a bit of a juggling exercise.
* It seems like knowing what to do next can be a little based on chance. I have completely missed the next thing to do for a day or two just because I didn't stumble into it. I am not sure if this is really a con though, as I like the exploratory aspect of it. I do find myself starting a day, just running around looking to find what to do next, and then starting the day again which may be the point, but I find it a bit frustrating.
* Pikmin seem to love to just stop following you.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Had no idea this was just ten days away for in the PAL territories.

Checking out the Japanese miiverse screenshots right now. Even the title card is dazzling.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

The Elite Club Nintendo rewards are available for selection now and one of the rewards comes with 3 posters including this one which is loving amazing.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

So here is the NA Pikmin 3 commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXf0dZ42T_M

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Jigsaw crab will never fail to creep me out. Why is it featured in every single promotional video? :gonk:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

shmee posted:

Spoilerish

On the last one I have to ask to clarify it because that's always been there unless you're saying it just randomly happens. From the little footage I saw it seems they track you for longer distances actually before they loose sight of you so just kind of curious!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I only played Pikmin 1 briefly when it first came out but I think I'll get this. It looks gorgeous. I hope it isn't too hard for me though, I suck at RTS games.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

On the last one I have to ask to clarify it because that's always been there unless you're saying it just randomly happens. From the little footage I saw it seems they track you for longer distances actually before they loose sight of you so just kind of curious!

It's not terrible, but there seems to be a mechanic whereby if the game decides that you are in a position whereby the Pikmin cannot reach you, they give up following you. For example, call some Pikmin on a bridge that you are underneath, they run a little bit and then just go back to not being called. So it seems more noticeable than in previous games but understandable and now I know that happens, I'm watching for it, but I keep finding myself running through doorways, a couple of Pikmin get stuck on the side of it, and then I have to come back and get them.

One thing I do struggle with is that I played all the previous games on GameCube, and on at least Pikmin 2 you could use the second analog stick to move the Pikmin around whilst they were called to you. Make them into a line and so on. So far I don't know a way to do that on WiiU (though there probably is one) so I need to suss that out and bitterly complain on internet forums if it has been removed.

Incidentally, I don't know if this was mentioned before but one fruit does not always equal one day of food. Larger fruits will give you 2 or more days of play. The one downside to all this is that it makes you really crave fruit juice.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I only played Pikmin 1 briefly when it first came out but I think I'll get this. It looks gorgeous. I hope it isn't too hard for me though, I suck at RTS games.

So far I have found it quite easy (EDIT: though if I check the internet, people are going through it about 3x as fast as I am. I'm 24 days in just because I'm enjoying hunting for fruits rather than progressing the story!) and more of a puzzle-y than in the past. You have to search the areas more, and see where things are. There are a bunch of puzzles which require you to have all three people to manipulate Pikmin and platforms. It's really enjoyable.

That said I just got a boss I have zero idea how to beat, though I did only try for about 5 minutes before saying "nuts to this" and going back to collecting oranges.

shmee fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does Pikmin 3 let you collect things other then fruits? I thought it was funny collecting the random product placement treasures in 2 and seeing what name Olimar gave them.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 16, 2013

• Locked thread