Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

shmee posted:

There are a bunch of puzzles which require you to have all three people to manipulate Pikmin and platforms. It's really enjoyable.

I'm really glad to hear this. Louie wasn't good for much of anything in 2 other than micromanaging, it seemed like such a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does Pikmin 3 let you collect things other then fruits? I thought it was funny collecting the random product placement treasures in 2 and seeing what name Olimar gave them.

There are some things you can collect which give your character additional abilities, if I am understanding what the game is telling me (no guarantee) but they are little floating things in balls rather than any real object. So far there is nothing like the product placement in Pikmin 2, which is a shame, but you do get cell phones inside the bosses. The made up names for stuff in Pikmin 2 was great, and what they guessed they were for. The fruits in Pikmin 3 do get odd names though.

LAY-ZX posted:

I'm really glad to hear this. Louie wasn't good for much of anything in 2 other than micromanaging, it seemed like such a waste.

Yeah I thought the same, it's definitely a welcome addition. In this you both use multiple characters to do several tasks at one, but also there are puzzles you need all three characters to complete.

shmee posted:

One thing I do struggle with is that I played all the previous games on GameCube, and on at least Pikmin 2 you could use the second analog stick to move the Pikmin around whilst they were called to you. Make them into a line and so on. So far I don't know a way to do that on WiiU (though there probably is one) so I need to suss that out and bitterly complain on internet forums if it has been removed.

It seems like this is possible but it might be something I have to learn later on (from the Pikmin 3 Wikia.com page anyway).

Sorry I am not that informative, there's a bit of a language barrier with my playthrough, coupled with being busy doing other things and a general lack of ability at video games (e.g. I saw what I had to do next and then instantly forgot about it for about 7 in-game days until I remembered..)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm hoping there are as many cooperative missions as the second game had. They aren't as good as full coop would be but it's still fun to play with a buddy.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
So I decided to be completely irresponsible and picked up the Wii versions of 1 & 2 even though I have perfectly good GC copies laying around because "holy crap widescreen!".

Pikmin 1 is exactly as charming as I remember it...but...am I just super out of practice, or does your whistle not work reliably in the Wii version? Becasue I'm losing an awful lot of 'mins to critters that I distinctly remember being able to fairly reliably take out without any casualties due to some of the Pikmin just not responding to my call.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pikmin 1's whistle is a lot worse than 2's and it doesn't actually call all the pikmin in its range until the end of the whistle, so if you want to call a group quickly just expand the whistle around them and then let go. In Pikmin 2 they changed it so the whistle calls a pikmin the moment it's in the zone for any length of time which feels a lot more responsive.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Pikmin 1's whistle is a lot worse than 2's and it doesn't actually call all the pikmin in its range until the end of the whistle, so if you want to call a group quickly just expand the whistle around them and then let go. In Pikmin 2 they changed it so the whistle calls a pikmin the moment it's in the zone for any length of time which feels a lot more responsive.

What? Why would they design it like that? :psyduck:

I guess I never noticed it in the GC version because you couldn't quickly shift where the cursor was so why not just blow the whistle at full blast? Hopefully this knowledge will drastically reduce non-bug related Wollywog casualties.

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 17, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo just announced some Pikmin 3-related news:

-Pikmin 3 will be playable at Gamestop stores this weekend; they're also letting you pre-purchase the game, and if you pre-purchase the eShop version you'll be able to download it one day early (August 3)

-NOE is doing a Pikmin 3/Wonderful 101 eShop promotion in PAL-land - if you buy Pikmin 3 on the eShop you'll be able to get Wonderful 101 for 30% off! Promotion ends at the end of September.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I can't believe how much better Pikmin 2 is compared to the original. I didn't mind the 30 day limit in the first game as it was more than generous enough for me, but having it removed changes my mindset completely, now I'm just chilling out and exploring without worrying too much about each day's goals. And even if they're really basic (so far) there's something satisfying about the caves and how they temporarily distill the game down into its most basic action mechanics.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo just announced some Pikmin 3-related news:

-Pikmin 3 will be playable at Gamestop stores this weekend; they're also letting you pre-purchase the game, and if you pre-purchase the eShop version you'll be able to download it one day early (August 3)

-NOE is doing a Pikmin 3/Wonderful 101 eShop promotion in PAL-land - if you buy Pikmin 3 on the eShop you'll be able to get Wonderful 101 for 30% off! Promotion ends at the end of September.
NOE keeps getting better deals than NOA :negative:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

It's not actually that good a deal, since buying one game at the eshop's full retail price and getting 30% off the other still works out as slightly more expensive than buying both games from most online stores.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Yeah, NA eShop prices are two thirds that of EU prices.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
One thing I've seen complaints about is the optional forced hand-holding. Like the hand-holding is apparently as bad as it is in Skyward Sword, but it's also optional at the same time because it's found in these little chips you don't have to pick up and can walk past. But you'll want to pick some of them up because some actually aren't tutorials but lore entires. But even the secret lore ones are differently colored from the tutorial entries so just...don't pick those up I guess?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Ernie Muppari posted:

Hopefully this knowledge will drastically reduce non-bug related Wollywog casualties.

Wow, they didn't fix that stupid bug in the Wii version?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The worst part about the Wii version of Pikmin 2 is that they removed Totaka's Song for some reason. :colbert:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Viewtiful Jew posted:

One thing I've seen complaints about is the optional forced hand-holding. Like the hand-holding is apparently as bad as it is in Skyward Sword, but it's also optional at the same time because it's found in these little chips you don't have to pick up and can walk past. But you'll want to pick some of them up because some actually aren't tutorials but lore entires. But even the secret lore ones are differently colored from the tutorial entries so just...don't pick those up I guess?

How bad are the tutorials on a scale from "text boxes you can quickly tap through" to "unskippable cutscenes"?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pikmin 3 is nowhere near as didactic as Skyward Sword. Like, not even close.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Beep boop master Alph, I can see that you're pikmin are low in numbers, I advise that you stock up on more for the challenges ahead. There's a 56% chance you can find a pellet around the bend.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Pikmin 3 is nowhere near as didactic as Skyward Sword. Like, not even close.

I hope no other game will ever be as didactic as Skyward Sword.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

I hope no other game will ever be as didactic as Skyward Sword.

The new Mario & Luigi game is pretty close, unfortunately.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The new Mario & Luigi game is pretty close, unfortunately.

I've got that preordered, and would like to hear more about this concerning thing.

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
I'm pretty stoked for this game, I played the absolute hell out of both of the originals - both the original GameCube versions and the Wii re-releases.

Is there any word as to how many mission mode stages there are? I'm expecting fewer yet larger, intricately designed stages (a la the original game) versus the numerous, procedurally generated stages of Pikmin 2. Combine this with the tighter mechanics of Pikmin 2 and I'll be locked to my couch for months to come. One more week... (Aus goon heh :smuggo:)

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

LAY-ZX posted:

Wow, they didn't fix that stupid bug in the Wii version?

I can't say for sure (due to not having played my GC copy in years), but it seems worse on the Wii. Like, I have yet to have a day after the tutorial where I haven't lost any Pikmin to that stupid crushing bug. On the plus side, it's like exposure therapy for my obsessive need to get through strategy games without casualties. :v:

"What's that? I lost 20 guys because the Puffstool's corpse fell on them? Welp, whadda' ya' gonna' do?"

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

DuFfY posted:

One more week... (Aus goon heh :smuggo:)

Why can't you people wait in line and get your games at the proper time i.e. several months after everyone else. :argh:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I've never played the original Pikmin game, but I played the hell out of Pikmin 2. I even managed to beat it using only 12 days or so with no casualties (although this isn't as impressive as it sounds since the least number of days is 9 I think...)

I really love the crazy creatures that inhabit the planet, and I really hope there's something similar to the Pikaopedia for Pikmin 3.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

The minimum run for Pikmin 2 actually used to be 8, but I just went and looked it up and apparently people have managed to work it down to 7.

...And on that same journey I've just discovered that people have worked Pikmin 1 from 9 days down to 6. What the gently caress? :stonk:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DuFfY posted:

Is there any word as to how many mission mode stages there are? I'm expecting fewer yet larger, intricately designed stages (a la the original game) versus the numerous, procedurally generated stages of Pikmin 2. Combine this with the tighter mechanics of Pikmin 2 and I'll be locked to my couch for months to come. One more week... (Aus goon heh :smuggo:)

There are fifteen mission mode stages - five "collect the fruit" missions, five "enemy battle" missions and five "boss battle" missions - with bronze/silver/gold/platinum rankings to attain. You can play 'em solo or co-op via two-player splitscreen, no idea if the maps/objectives change when playing co-op.

The multiplayer Bingo Mode has 12 stages with three "variations" per stage, which are randomised, I think.

There are online leaderboards for both solo and co-op missions, plus a leaderboard for story mode completion that tracks your clear time, total number of Pikmin, etc.

EDIT: purple/white pikmin show up in mission mode but they're not present in story mode

Lizard Wizard posted:

I've got that preordered, and would like to hear more about this concerning thing.

Whenever the game introduces something new the little Navi-like dude explains it to you and/or makes you do a tutorial; it's often skippable but sometimes isn't, and it extends to things as banal as navigating the menus.

The explanations/tutorials themselves aren't really any worse than what you might see in the beginning of the last couple Mario & Luigi games, it's just that they never loving end. I'm pretty close to the end of the game now and it won't stop talking at me, it's infuriating.

There is an unlockable hard mode, so hopefully it'll let me turn off the talky-talky next time. It's a really good game that would be great if it'd just shut the gently caress up every now and again.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 20, 2013

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

LAY-ZX posted:

...And on that same journey I've just discovered that people have worked Pikmin 1 from 9 days down to 6. What the gently caress? :stonk:

For a moment I thought there had to be some weird glitch involved because you have to visit each of the first two levels a second time after getting blue Pikmin. But then I remembered some creative "sequence breaking" you can do in the Forest of Hope:
  • Whistle Pikmin across the water to build the bridge from the Libra,
  • Toss yellows w/bomb-rocks onto the top of the waterlogged gate leading to the Cannon Beetle/Radiation Canopy,
  • Toss Pikmin onto the pushable box leading to the Snagrets/Geiger Counter, then carefully whistle them down to the other side from within the water.
But I always figured that would take way too long to be worthwhile in a speedrun. I'd be really surprised if this isn't a TAS.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

LAY-ZX posted:

I am not surprised; given how much speedrunning has taken off lately, I'd expect some crazy people to get it down from 9 days, since 9 days was the shortest time for years and years.

That said, I only barely completed it in 9 days and it felt like I had not a single second to spare. So yeah, that is pretty drat incredible.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah, I knew about sequence breaking FoH but I'd have never guessed any of them could be done fast enough to get the whole place done in a day.

Pikmin 2 in seven days seems pretty crazy as well. It requires using a glitch to get blues on day three so you can complete the Perplexing Pool in a single day.

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
Thanks PaletteSwappedNinja, those answers were pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear. It will be interesting to see some of the speed-runs which emerge from this game.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Fawf posted:

The Pikmin 2 multiplayer is so loving good and is secretly the best part of the game.

This can't be overstated. This mode gave rise to the terms 'marble whore' and 'marble bitch' and subsequently turned them into everyday insults.

A friend and I got perfects on every level in challenge too and the video reward is the most hilarious anticlimax after all that effort.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Walliard posted:

For a moment I thought there had to be some weird glitch involved because you have to visit each of the first two levels a second time after getting blue Pikmin. But then I remembered some creative "sequence breaking" you can do in the Forest of Hope:
  • Whistle Pikmin across the water to build the bridge from the Libra,
  • Toss yellows w/bomb-rocks onto the top of the waterlogged gate leading to the Cannon Beetle/Radiation Canopy,
  • Toss Pikmin onto the pushable box leading to the Snagrets/Geiger Counter, then carefully whistle them down to the other side from within the water.
But I always figured that would take way too long to be worthwhile in a speedrun. I'd be really surprised if this isn't a TAS.

The Pikmin 6 day speed run on YouTube from 2011 is a real console run, and it's pretty amazing. I haven't watched the Pikmin 2 7-day yet, I really need to get around to that soon.

I seem to recall reading in the Pikmin thread on TASVideos that for a TAS, which counts real time rather than number of days, 7 days would actually be faster for Pikmin 1. I'm assuming going back to Forest of Hope with blues would save a little time over trying to get everything in one day (where you'll wind up winding down to the last tick of the clock basically).
Fake Edit: I actually just checked the thread, by the looks of it the main issue was having to let all of the reds flower on day 1, but 6-day is only slower than 7-day in a TAS of the GC version and it's by such a small amount that it may be ignored in favor of minimal days.

I attempted to do the 6 day challenge, but I couldn't even get past the first few parts of Forest of Hope. That's when I switched to my 9 day attempt that was lost in Distant Spring, one single part was about a half second away from my ship when the timer ran out, otherwise I would have had it. I think I lost some Pikmin in that run, but I did have a few of the bullshit crushing deaths in Forest Naval.

E: Oh yeah, and I preordered my copy of 3 on Tuesday, so now I just need to play the waiting game.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

MissileWaster posted:

The Pikmin 6 day speed run on YouTube from 2011 is a real console run, and it's pretty amazing.

Good god, I'm watching it right now. Day 2 is unreal. :stare: Whoever first pathed that out is bonkers.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Viewtiful Jew posted:

They are completely optional. There are little yellow chips and if you want to know what (completely irrelevant) information they have (that you already know and have used to get this far in the game) then you have to walk over them. Edit: oh the lore entries. no they are all the same colour. I just don't read them (or try to) as they are in Japanese.

That said, they don't half chat about stuff at the beginning of the game before you start each level. Luckily they shut up pretty quickly (i.e. after a handful of days).

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

shmee posted:

They are completely optional. There are little yellow chips and if you want to know what (completely irrelevant) information they have (that you already know and have used to get this far in the game) then you have to walk over them. Edit: oh the lore entries. no they are all the same colour. I just don't read them (or try to) as they are in Japanese.

That said, they don't half chat about stuff at the beginning of the game before you start each level. Luckily they shut up pretty quickly (i.e. after a handful of days).

Why on earth are you intentionally depriving yourself of this series' great writing? :psypop:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^I'm guessing he's not fluent in Japanese.

shmee posted:

Or maybe it'll be one of those things where you get to a point and something convenient happens which means you can now loiter around as long as you like.

Something definitely happens. Pikmin 2 fans will like it, that's all I'll say.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

^^I'm guessing he's not fluent in Japanese.

That's it! Well that and impatient. The plan is to play through a second time and devote a bit more time to translation at a later date. Time is a luxury I do not have at the moment.

Something happened.. and yes Pikmin 2 fans will like it but when it happened.. well (bit of a spoiler) I wished I'd spent more time pursuing the story and less time collecting every available fruit.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Now I'm super curious! Argh!

Also I think I accidently stumbled upon the final boss so super depressed (Obvious spoilers) I didn't watch much of the video after I realized what it was but saw a ship land and a giant gold goo monster thing running around

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Do you actually see anything for getting that weight in Wistful Wild? I have every other treasure in the game and don't feel like running caves for purples unless it does something besides tick the file over to 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I lurve doing an 8-day run of Pikmin 2. Yes you need the weight for the 100%. You can look up Pikmin 2 100% on Youtube but it's nothing special.

Pikmin 3 is a thing I want but I am not buying a game system over it. If any of my friends get a Wii U I'll play the poo poo out of it, but it doesn't look like that's happening any time soon. The only people I know with a Wii U are friends on the internet. :sigh:

• Locked thread