Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I first picked up Pikmin as like the second game when I got a gamecube. I got up to the Forest Navel, being totally stressed out the whole time and then had my entire squad converted to mushrooms by the Puffstool. Infuriated (and not realizing they'd be alright if I avoided them for long enough) I shut off the game and later sold it. I thought I'd never play Pikmin again.

Several years later I heard someone raving about Pikmin 2 and heard that it got rid of the time limit. I was tempted again and fortunately decided to pick up the first game first and give it another shot. This time I went carefully and spent a full day in each level just looking around with Olimar and no Pikmin and planning meticulously what I would do in what order. While it took me 25 of the days to do it I finally beat the game and realized what I'd been missing. I bought Pikmin 2 right away.

I love these games so much. They're filled with such an abundance of cleverness and creativity. From the unique gameplay to the awesome writing of Olimar's and Louie's logs and the Ship's sales pitches everything is basically perfect and polished.

I can't wait for Pikmin 3. Hopefully I can actually find someone to do the multiplayer with me this time, since my brother adamantly refused to ever try these games when we were teenagers.

Also I only realized that the captains from this game were from a different planet than Hocotate recently. I wonder if this game will tie in at all with our heroes from the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think the Water Wraith dungeon is absolutely brilliantly designed. The floors are designed in such a way that you should be able to clear, or get very close to clearing, the earlier levels before the Wraith arrives. But the later ones get more and more complex until you'll still probably be carrying treasures fairly long distances at the time it arrives. Then it becomes a terrifying game of trying to bait him out to follow one captain away from the carriers while the other cowers in a relatively safe spot and oh god oh god why have you lost interest in me no drop that ham you fools drop it and run

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

On one hand I agree with you, a lot about is brilliant. On the other hand having done it multiple times I know that it is absolutely not fun in the slightest. Even once you figure out the dungeon's gimmick, the reality is that you can't get every treasure before the wraith shows up to squash you. So to get all the treasure, you have to visit the dungeon multiple times. That means getting your blue pikmin, hiking all the way across the Perplexing Poool, gathering as much treasure as you can on each floor, and then doing the whole thing over again since you're gonna miss something. It's the part I always did last because I never enjoyed doing it.

That's not true at all. The experience I just described (the leading the Wraith away from your carriers part) and the fun of the Submerged Castle in my opinion is getting the remaining treasures even with the Wraith bearing down on you. In all the times I've played Pikmin 2 I've never left a dungeon without getting all the treasures in it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The trick is really to mainly fight him with yellows. The ability to latch onto his weapons regardless of their position outweighs everything else.

My usual strategy is to take out the water gun first since it can attack the people outside the arena and then the electric one. That way if I do screw up and get my Yellow squad killed, it's not too difficult to use reds to take out the last two weapons.

My favorite part of the Titan Dweevil is the fact that he's one of the few bosses they designed that you really can't use purples to cheese.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 14, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Titan Dweevil aside, I'm curious to how many people managed to perfect challenge mode and find out Louie's secret :v:

To my shame I've still never managed to beat the Man-at-Legs level without any casualties. I looked up Louie's secret a long time ago.

mancalamania posted:

I can't believe so many people like Pikmin 2 more than the first. Dreary, never-ending, randomized caves were really boring in comparison to the dense, cleverly plotted, beautiful environments in the original. I also missed the time aspect; I see why the time limit made some people anxious in the original, but the sequel completely freezing time in the caves was probably going way too far in the other direction. You lose a lot of the fun of the intense micromanaging when your not under ANY time restraint (even if it's just the daily sundown countdown every 10 minutes). The second commander was pretty cool though, as was the game's length and the new Pikmin.

Luckily it seems like 3 is going combine the best aspects of both games, and the new Pikmin look fun as heck, and I've basically been looking forward to this game for a decade so I'll be there on day one.

I think generally most people really like the caves. I know I do. Having two different styles of gameplay really worked in the game's favor in my opinion. The challenge of the caves is your limited resources since you can't go back and get more Pikmin if they die. Maybe this isn't as challenging as time limit, but I like it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bullfrog posted:

Something about the Pikmin series really supercharged my 10-year old imagination. I made whole series of comic books, detailed fan-fictions of the world, even an alternate reality-universe where pikmin and bulborbs fought warfare with modern weaponry. I made rudimentary videogames based on these universes in The Games Factory. My parents and I sewed pikmin plush toys, and we bought figurines on Ebay.

I wish I could afford a WiiU right now :negative:

Internet Kraken posted:

I did similar things when I played the first Pikmin. I had a notebook that I called my Science Journal, and I wrote stuff down in it based on my experiences with the game. I gave names to all the creatures and imagined what kind of lives they add, and wrote up little stories about their ecology. Then I started doing "real" science experiments in Pikmin too determine all kinds of stupid stuff, such as;

-If different types of Pikmin built bridges faster
-The detection radius of Bulborbs
-If Sheergrubs really did destroy bridges (they totally do, jerks)
-If Blue Pikmin burn faster than Yellow Pikmin :shepface:

Kind of wish I still had it too laugh at my past self. Gosh, I never realized how ridiculously nerdy I was (and still am I guess) about these games.

I was a little older than you guys when I first played the games (mid highschool I think), but I found them similarly inspirational. I remember doing speed tests by getting one of each possible variation of each Pikmin type and then racing them to see exactly how their speed stacked up. It was pretty obnoxious getting all the bulb Pikmin I wanted but it was worth it too see them all stretched out in a nice little line.

Honestly I think Pikmin 2's Piklopedia was among my main inspirations to go into biology (along with things like a Charles Darwin exhibit in a museum and watching David Attenborough). My ideal Pikmin game would be Olimar leading a purely scientific expedition to the planet to capture living specimens and try to unravel the history of this strange place.

LAY-ZX posted:

The minimum run for Pikmin 2 actually used to be 8, but I just went and looked it up and apparently people have managed to work it down to 7.

...And on that same journey I've just discovered that people have worked Pikmin 1 from 9 days down to 6. What the gently caress? :stonk:

Jesus Christ I remember watching a 9 day speedrun and thinking "Wow, this is what it looks like to have truly mastered a game". I'm going to have to check this out.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 20, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MissileWaster posted:

E:^^^^^^^^^^^
Here's day 2, you don't need to watch day 1, all you need to know is he flowers the reds and gets the ship part. I highly recommend this speed run for viewing, every day is a nail biter and there's some crazy micromanaging to pay attention to.

I also found this same guy has done a "Perfect Pikmin" run where he beats it in 6 days with no deaths. Haven't checked it out yet but here it is if anyone's interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3M8eoR7IaY

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

dijon du jour posted:

We already know Bulbears are in the game. Isn't that enough terror for you without adding Gatling Groinks? :gonk:

(Discussion point: what's worse; Gatling Groinks or Bulbears?)

Orange bulborbs :v:

(Seriously I just did a playthrough where I didn't use purples except when absolutely necessary and the goddamn orange bulborbs killed more than any other non-boss enemy).

Edit: I just watched the video I posted and it's ridiculous. I don't even understand some parts of it like when he sets them to carry the Geiger Counter and they head right off into the Snagret area. How do they not get eaten?

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 21, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I kind of want to play Pikmin 2 without using purple pikmin as much. I always felt 2 was significantly easier than 1 for a lot of reasons. Hit detection seems more forgiving and pikmin are more responsive to your calls. But the main reason is that purples break the game horribly. Not using them would probably make it more interesting.

It's quite fun. Led to me having a ton more disasters and really kept me on my toes. The Hole of Heroes was particularly horrible and I ended up losing 105 Pikmin during it.

I got to go to the Pikmin 3 demo event today. Thought there might be a crowd but at least at the start I was the only one there which was too bad (guess Pikmin really just can't compete with the more popular games that were at the best buy demos). Anyway this was my first time seeing the Wii U in action and man the game looks gorgeous. My favorite things were the anteater Bulborb who I fed a bunch of my Pikmin to just to see his eating animation and the little vine slides. I can't wait for this game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I thought the product placement in general was kind of bullshit but it's Nintendo so people are way more lenient about crap that any other publisher would incur a lifelong vendetta for, so whatever.

I've never understood this complaint. I always thought that the product placement added to the game's charm in a significant way. It really emphasized that we were exploring our earth of the future and finding very familiar items that Olimar had no clue what they were. Finding a Vlasic pickle lid feels more real than finding Capn Briney's Crunchy Pickles would have.

But perhaps I am just a willing pawn of our consumption based society.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The solution is to turn as many Bulbmin into other kinds of Pikmin as possible!

But yeah it's really sad seeing their little faces looking up at me as I geyser away.

So jealous of you guys who have this game already. I'm getting a Wii U on Thursday so I can pick Pikmin up as soon as it's available on Sunday and play it right away.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

But then what happens to the Bulborbs? :ohdear:

It is not our place to question the mechanisms of the candypop buds.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

From what I understand the whole game takes place in the outside areas, which are bigger and more complex, and there are more of them. So you're in luck!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Finally out in the US today! I've played for a few hours, beat two bosses, and collected 17 pieces of fruit. This game rules. There's already been some incredibly tricky time management and puzzles juggling between the captains and the boss fights are intense. And I don't even have the last two Pikmin types yet!

One question - how to I get the drat data log in the tundra up on the ledge with the snowman head? I can't seem to throw a captain up there and it's been driving me crazy, taunting me. Is it just a matter of I need something I don't have yet or am I missing something I can do now?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pixeltendo posted:

Welp I sure am a great Pikmin Shepard! I let a bunch of them die taking grapes to the ship by monsters, and then the majority of them die when a hippie spider lands on them! :suicide:

I had a fun moment when I learned a valuable lesson about the "Go There" function - it's a good idea to actually look on the TV to make sure that the way to there is clear. I was fighting an intense battle with Brittany against some Cannon Beetle Larvae while Alph was on a leisurely trip to a new area and suddenly I realized that it's Alph talking to me about his Pikmin being in trouble not Brittany. I hastily switched over and found all my Pikmin on fire and running all over the place (a fiery blowhog had respawned since I'd killed it on an earlier day). I got there just in time to see them start dying in droves. Oops.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

What's Red Nectar do? I never managed to get any of my Pikmin to drink it because it was in an area where a Shaggy Long Legs was stomping around and I never saw it again (even though it lingered for a few days). And in the Distant Tundra, there's a series of ledges I can't seem to access with the last bits of fruit on them; I've searched all around and I can't find a single way to get up there. When I use the map to send a Captain up there there's an area where the waypoint crosses over onto the ledge as if there is supposed to be something there for them to get up there but it's just a bunch of straw or something on the ground.

Red Nectar works exactly the same way it did in Pikmin 2.

absolutely anything posted:

This game's pretty good y'all

Can anyone tell me what kind of fruit this is? I'm having fun trying to identify the kinds I don't recognize and this is one of the ones I'm having no luck with.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's a plum! I don't know what the Velvety Dreamdrop is though.

Also people were saying you can't punch. But that's wrong. You can only do it when you're close to a monster (and you'll probably get hosed up in the process) but you totally can. The captains even make lil karate noises.

That's not what a plum looks like! Zuzie is right it's a Purple Mangosteen. Never heard of that before. I think the Lesser Mock Bottom is a plum. Also what the heck is the Delectable Bouquet? It says it has flowers inside it...?

I just got to Boss 3 at the end of a day and it is terrifying so I ran away. I can't believe I've been playing for 18 days and still haven't found Blue Pikmin (although admittedly if I hadn't been collecting every possible fruit before progressing with the plot I'm sure I would have much sooner).

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 5, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That trio of Orange Bulborbs behind the bamboo gate in the Twilight River is just mean.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ohhh man I just did the fourth boss and couldn't get Louie and the fruit back in time so I had to abandon him. Alph's log for this situation is hilarious.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well it just so happens that I took a Miiverse screenshot, so here you go.

Warning, this link contains some plot spoilers for people not up to the 4th area!

http://i.imgur.com/TtvaI1K.jpg

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

I had to do the same thing, I was afraid that the body of the boss was going to be gone the next day but everything was still there thankfully.

Oh wow, seriously? The reason that happened to me in the first place was that I devoted all my fastest flower guys to take the boss's body back because I thought it would disappear. It barely made it back to the Onion in time and the rest of the stuff lagged.

Also I just got up to the fifth boss and holy loving poo poo all my pikmin are dead and I had to run but he's on the ropes. I'll get him next time!!!

Next playthrough in the future I'm going to figure out how to do this guy properly and not get murdered.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 6, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Can someone explain how the food supply/game overs/day mission limit/everything related works. I'm a bit hazy on how the requirements and limits all interplay.

If you finish a day without any juice reserves you lose. So if at the end of one day, you drink your last bit of juice, you must collect 1 unit's worth of juice the next day or else it's game over.

If you collect fruit obsessively like I do this will never even come close to happening as you'll quickly build up a nice buffer and can then theoretically spend many days just messing around.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Stuck on my gathering in Tropical Wilds. There's a hanging fruit and a tree stump near the beach. There's this strange brown box thing but I have no idea what it does, and that tree trunk with the fruit in it is over a cliff so I can't throw captains inside.

Dijon du jour has given you the exact answer but if you want something a bit vaguer, try exploring the area with the armored cannon beetle larvae that shoots rocks down at you.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Things never to do: give a little victory handpump with your left hand when that final piece of fruit makes it in a second before the deadline. :negative:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I got very close to doing it in one, but ran out of time. Just keep looking around and you'll find the shards you need. A little hint for something that stumped me for a while: remember you can swap Pikmin in both directions.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alright I finally need some help. I'm missing one last piece of fruit and I can't figure out where it actually is.

It's in the Tropical Wilds off in some isolated area in between the Shaggy Long Legs arena and the path to the sand boss. If I move the camera near there, it goes into what looks like a cave, but I can't find the entrance.

Edit: Duh as soon as I post this I notice that there's an arrow pointing under the armored cannon beetle larva's mountain and there's a cave in the water.

Also looks like I'm missing 2 area hints and 2 secret files that aren't in the final boss area. No idea where those could be...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Thanks a lot for that guide. Now I just have to figure out the area hints, which I can't seem to find a list of yet. I'll write you up a list of the enemies in a few minutes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Indigenous life who have files:

The five bosses and final boss
Bulborb
Dwarf Bulborb
Wollywog
Peckish Aristocrab
Joustmite
Desiccated Skitter Leaf
Swooping Snitchbug
Toady Bloyster
Shaggy Long Legs
Arachnode
Bug-Eyed Crawmad
Bearded Amprat
Burrowing Snagret
Pellet Posy
Hiding (That's not an indigenous life form but it's referring to the hiding in plants mechanic)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Good grief the final level is hard. :stare:

It's really cool that they decided to expand upon the Waterwraith concept with something much more elaborate and terrifying.

Edit: Aaaaand I stayed up way to late finishing it. That was an incredible final level and boss. They really wanted to show off what they could do on this new system I guess.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 6, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Snix posted:

I don't have a Wii U yet, so I'm unable to play this game, but a buddy of mine is and is telling me what the premise of the game is, and it sounds pretty loving crazy. Is he close? At all?

He says that Pikmin 3 takes place in a split timeline where Olimar never escaped Earth in Pikmin 1, and has likely died there. However, it's possible that he's alive and somehow used a force to bring Alph's ship to Earth.

Try not to use too bad of spoilers, since I do intend to play this.

Your friend is either loving with you or is very early on in the game and lacks reading comprehension.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Swarming is a pretty decent replacement for the C-stick maneuver as far as picking up objects and going at walls, piles of tiles, etc. It's not so good for attacking in most circumstances (except for bosses). The lack of the C-stick and the related fact that there's no way to throw Pikmin faster are two of my only complaints about this game. The only other one I can think of is the lack of a Piklopedia.

I've done a couple of missions, so far the Boss ones are really easy at least for gold. I don't really get the feel of the fight enemies missions though. How do you effectively multitask a primarily combat mission?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

dijon du jour posted:

Maybe we should all share what video we got? Mine was Olimar at the river. He talked about a bug in his file software that caused him to drop files everywhere. It also showed what suspiciously looked like gameplay footage of playing as Louie.

This is exactly what I got. Are there multiple ones?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Looks like there's several videos, GameExplain posted all of them on youtube if you're looking. I'm gonna wait till I get em.

How do you get more of them? Do you have to play through the game 5 times or something?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Did you turn any lights on? Sometimes properly positioned lights can interfere with the IR sensor. This past Christmas I was having some serious problems using the Wii until I realized that it was the goddamn Christmas tree lights wreaking havoc.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ISUCHARESLOLO posted:

The last fruit I need to collect is the one in the Tropical Wilds that is in the middle of nowhere on the map. I swear I've been up and down every path looking for an access point, but I can't seem to find any way to get to it.

What am I missing here?

Ha you're the third person (including myself) I've seen ask about this. There's a very easy to miss arrow on your map in the water closest to where that fruit is. There's a cave entrance there that leads to it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mancalamania posted:

Am I supposed to be able to (endgame spoilers) get Olimar back to the ship in Formidable Oak in one day?? I thought I was getting really good and efficient at this game, but this whole chase sequence is really kicking my butt and I'm having trouble getting further than the start the darkened cave area.

To be clear you have to carry Olimar through the whole tree over the course of one day since he'll be brought back to the beginning every time a day ends. However, you can spend multiple days working on clearing a path and all progress aside from Olimar's position will be carried over from day to day.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This new DLC also made me finally cave and buy the Battle Enemies DLC, even though I am terrible at that mode and don't really get how to do it effectively. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

Finally got around to buying this. I thought Pikmin 2 was so hard because I was a silly child at the time. Nope, Pikmin is just loving difficult and I am terrible at it.

Is it just me or are the days way shorter in this one?

I don't think they're shorter, but I can't seem to find any hard info for how long Pikmin 2's days were. 1 and 3 were both ~13 minutes and I assume 2 was the same. However the days in Pikmin 2 may feel way longer since time doesn't pass during the caves, which are the majority of the game. Since you could do multiple caves in a single day, it could feel like they last forever.

• Locked thread