Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pikmin 1
Pikmin's original game released on the Nintendo Gamecube early in it's life. In the game you took control of the brave Captain Olimar after a meteor struck his space ship and stranded him on totally-not-Earth (it's Earth). Olimar himself is only about a inch or two tall and everything is scary as all hell, luckily for him he finds a red colored creature with a leaf on it's head. He dubs these creatures "Pikmin" due to their resemblance to PikPik carrots on his home world of Hocotate. Most amazing of all though this Pikmin instantly submits itself to his command!

After this amazing discovery he figures he's missing 30 crucial ship parts due to the meteor accident, and he has just enough oxygen in his suit to last him a equal 30 days.

Gameplay wise it plays almost like Nintendo's crack at an RTS, you could control up to 100 pikmin at a time, and throughout the game you could find other types of Pikmin that had their own unique skills (Red - 1.5x damage to enemies, can withstand fire. Yellow - Can be thrown super high, and can pick up bomb rocks. Blue - Can transverse water) using these you'd have to make use of the limited amount of time given to you to explore huge maps for your missing ship parts while dodging mutant monsters that want nothing more then to gorge themselves on your troops. Monsters in the first game ranged from Bulborbs, giant mushroom-like menaces with a tendency to fall asleep, Cannon Beetles that shoot magnetized boulders at you that track your suit, and Snargrets, giant terrifying bird-snake hybrids that drill through the ground surface to launch surprise attacks.

To get more Pikmin you had to take defeated enemies back to the Pikmin's own space ship (called Onions) to convert them to new troops. You could also get flower pellets that would work towards whatever color the item was. If it's a red 5 pellet and it gets taken in by red Pikmin you'd actually get 10 new Pikmin, while if a blue or yellow grabbed it they'd only get the promised 5.

Despite it's cult hit the game did show certain faults of being a early gamecube game. Limited amount of zones, a small roster of enemies, and not a lot was randomized. This all of course was fixed in...

Pikmin 2!! Nearly 3 years later Olimar has finally returned to his home planet only to find his company has taken on a massive debt. While Olimar was out of action stranded the President of his company had hired on a new recruit named Louie to get things done... only for Louie to get attacked and ambushed by a horrible monster making their last ditch effort a failure.

Olimar's ship, the Dolphin was then taken away and sold... Olimar stunned by this drops a bottle cap he had brought back from totally-not-Earth only for it to be analyzed as something that's worth a lot of money. The President then decides to send Olimar back to the Pikmin planet with Louie in tow to bring back more useless crap they could sell to get out of debt, using a smart talking ship the two set off for their quest to pimp as many real life companies as possible!

Pikmin 2 improved in just about every way on the original's concept. The 30 day time limit was removed and a ton of features were added including two new pikmin!
Purple - 2x Damage, homed in on enemies when thrown, Stunned enemies they landed on, and each one could lift something that would take 10 normal pikmin. They were also half the speed of a regular Pikmin (They were super broken.)
Whites - .5x Damage, Poisoned enemies when eaten, super fast, could dig up treasure burried underground, and even withstand toxic attacks!
The downside to the two was that they couldn't multiply via pellets or dead enemies and you had to convert Red's, Blue's and Yellow's in flowers called candypop buds to get them.

Most importantly though they added the cave system. Each region you went into would house a number of caverns that had piles upon piles of trademarked treasure in them. These caves had multiple levels to transverse and each had a theme... and more importantly they were all randomly generated (minus a few specific floors in a few specific caves) meaning the replayability was off the charts! The game was HUGE too! From upgrading your captains with boss items, to fighting the absolute boatload of bosses and monsters as well, I mean, while you can repay the debt in a few hours you'd only be about 20% through the game! AND you'd be missing out on the second part of the story and a ton of really intense challenges and genuinely memorable moments (Oh, hi Water Wraith)

Adding even further playtime to the game there's challenge mode that features custom maps and a hard limit of pikmin and tasks you with difficult trials to test how good you are at keeping all of your pikmin alive while solving puzzles. It's pretty intense later on.

There's even a... kind of strange multiplayer death match thing that's honestly kind of strange, you and a friend go head to head trying to kill each other and you can bring cherries back to your ship to spin a wheel and get power ups or spawn monsters on your friend. It was really weird and a lot of people didn't really get a chance to play it, but it was there!

Really I can't even begin gushing about how great the game was honestly, and it's a shame that it took Nintendo nearly 10 years to finally come out with...

Pikmin 3!!! The so called reason to own a wii-u by Miyamoto himself. The story surrounds a group of three captains named Alph, Brittany, and Charlie as they're sent off to the mysterious certainly not Earth planet PNF-404 in search of food. Their planet Koppai is on the brink of starvation and the three hope to find enough seeds from fruits to save their entire race.

Despite this, it doesn't have the same super strict time limit of Pikmin 1, while at the same time you can't loiter around doing absolutely nothing like in Pikmin 2. At the end of each day your captains will need to consume a single unit of juice, and you can only get juice by finding fruits in the wild. Plants will grow back after a number of days so in theory you could extend it as much as you want but if you fail, it's a good ol fashion game over.

Gameplay itself remains faithful, yet streamlined. Pikmin AI still manages to get caught up on walls at times if you blaze ahead of them but that's just a product of having 102 characters following you at all times really. Here's a quick list of things that have been somewhat changed.

All onions now combine into a single mega onion. You no longer have to run around the campsite deploying them all separately. Holding down a button will even let you pull out a even amount of pikmin across the board so you don't have to mess with several dials!

Purple's and White's are no longer in the campaign. They're now replaced with Rock Pikmin which cannot cling to enemies but can smash throw glass/crystal and be used to break armor on enemies (and deal massive throw damage) and Winged Pikmin that are small and somewhat frail, but as the name suggests can fly. They can carry large objects over water and reach hard to get places that even Yellows can't find.

Bomb Rocks return as tools! Now every color can carry and throw them, and when they explode they've been upgraded to kill literally ANYTHING in one shot of the radius that I know of anyway

Electricity is no longer a instant death for non yellows! Now when a pikmin gets shocked they just get sent flying and totally paralyzed for about 10 seconds (which means whatever shocked them has a chance to run over and murder them)

You can stop to go first person and take pictures with your wii-u gamepad to send to the miiverse, with how pretty the game is you may find this a lot of fun!

Several new enemies! Bulborbs with whip-like tongues that can snatch several up from a distance, the fearsome Vehemoth Phosbat boss that can turn invisible and stalk you in the darkness... only time you can see it is when it's eyes appear from the dark and many, MANY more, along with new body part weaknesses. You can now strike enemies in the eyes to blind and stun them or clip their wings to bring airborne enemies to the ground!

Single player isn't the only thing that got a total overhaul though. Multiplayer too!

Bingo Battle is a exciting (local only) multiplayer game mode that was somewhat in Pikmin 2 but it feels much less like a after thought here. One player can control Alph (and Brittany) or Olimar (and Louie) and work to fill out a bingo card given to them. Bingo cards have various enemies that must be killed, fruits to find, and Pikmin 2 items (marbles and such) to locate. You can once again get cherries and store them for spins on a attack roulette that hampers the other players in various ways. (There's radars you can put on items that scare enemy pikmin off, you can summon boulder storms on friends and spawn nasty beasts on them among other things). It looks really frantic and really fun.

Shame about the local only thing though.

Mission Mode holds a plethora of different levels and tests that you can tackle alone or with a friend (also local only). This mode features all seven pikmin types so Purples and Whites are here as well (and purples look just as broken). There's three different "modes" to play in this though.

Fruit Collection which is just as it sounds, you and a friend are dumped onto a map with a limited amount of Pikmin and a time limit and you're told to hurry and work together to get as much as you can while saving as many pikmin as you can. This one's all about time management.

Monster Hunting which once again is just what the title says where you and a friend if you choose are sent out on hunts to kill as many enemies as you can. Different monsters are worth different points and at the end of the day everything is tallied up for your high score.

Boss Battle which pits you and your pal against the games many MANY bosses to see how fast you can take them down... if at all! Arena's will have different gimmicks (electricity rings etc) so it's not just a port of single player fights.

Overall there's a whole lot new to this game and hey, if you have a Wii-U you certainly owe it to yourself to try it out.

Videos
E3 Trailer 2013
Don't attack my eyes
Random Gameplay from the Japanese site (showcases multiplayer modes/mission mode)

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Internet Kraken posted:

And then you beat the game and get to read Louie's hosed up ideas about cooking bugs :shepface:

Half of them talk about dipping sauce or how you'll be stuck in a bathroom for days.

Louie was kind of weird.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ernie Muppari posted:

Don't many of the log entries you can get while you're still paying off the loan suggest that Louie's actually a competent cook?

It's been a while since I last played 2 and this thread it making me super want to go through again (and actually rescue Louie this time!).

Yeah, he's presented as a surprisingly fantastic chef.

Also go save Louie, the plot gets kind of crazy!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SilverSupernova posted:

I think they confirmed that Louie will appear in the Multiplayer. Not sure if he'll show up in the main story but supposedly, he's playable in multiplayer.

Mentioned in the OP but in Bingo Battle you can have 1v1 which is just Alph vs Olimar, or you can make it so you can both control two captains. Alph and Brittany vs Olimar and Louie.

Also there are golden files you can pick up in the campaign that give you the tutorial messages (Reds are good against fire etc) that are actually written by Olimar. It even features his drawings from pikmin 1! (Some drawings show him Louie and the President all adventuring together!)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Wicked Wall posted:

Ranging Bloyster. The method you beat it without using stone sprays made it take ages to deal with, constantly switching captains to throw a few onto it before they're shaken off. Also, if you screwed up the multiple tongues would make you pay for it. Ugh.

Funny enough he's the only one who didn't drive me crazy when I was younger. I kept losing pikmin to most of the bosses so having one that just sat there and took a beating was thrilling for me.

Best boss though was the final-final one. The Titan Dweevil killed EVERYONE in my group minus a single purple and like 15 yellows and a few random colors. I was just barely able to carry the spoils of battle back because of that single surviving purple pikmin.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Youtube journalist(?) GameXplain is doing a quasi-playthrough. He's not the best but certainly not the worst.

Just realize it's commentated and he can't read Japanese. Also watch out as in a few days I fully expect a spoiler thumbnail of the final boss on his channel. (He has a apparent reputation for it)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Titan Dweevil aside, I'm curious to how many people managed to perfect challenge mode and find out Louie's secret :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

shmee posted:

One thing I am unclear on though, in the OP ThisIsACoolGuy said:

There seems to be a finite amount of fruit to collect, it doesn't grow back you find it buried or inside of bosses, so is it a (theoretically) endless game if you want it to be or do you have a limit (as at some point you will run out of fruit and so have to go home)? Or maybe it'll be one of those things where you get to a point and something convenient happens which means you can now loiter around as long as you like.

Honestly I'm just parroting what I've read before and seen in other videos (In the original area the very first sunseed berry has a unripe one growing right by it)

If I'm wrong then I'll fix the OP but like I said, just going off what I've heard!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fair enough! Seems strange that they'd spoil how many total fruits there are though (like the 3/4 on some of them). If you come to a conclusion though let me know and I'll edit accordingly, you're the one with the game after all :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

shmee posted:

Spoilerish

On the last one I have to ask to clarify it because that's always been there unless you're saying it just randomly happens. From the little footage I saw it seems they track you for longer distances actually before they loose sight of you so just kind of curious!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Something definitely happens. Pikmin 2 fans will like it, that's all I'll say.

Now I'm super curious! Argh!

Also I think I accidently stumbled upon the final boss so super depressed (Obvious spoilers) I didn't watch much of the video after I realized what it was but saw a ship land and a giant gold goo monster thing running around

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question for those who have the japanese version, how's the enemy variation in the game anyway? About the same as 2? Less? ...More?

Wondering if stuff like Gatling Groinks or Careening Digrebugs are still in.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

dijon du jour posted:

We already know Bulbears are in the game. Isn't that enough terror for you without adding Gatling Groinks? :gonk:

(Discussion point: what's worse; Gatling Groinks or Bulbears?)

I never really had any trouble with Groinks actually v:v:v

Bulbears or the fire bulborbs though (jesus christ the fire ones scare me) are nightmares. I still don't know a good approach other then "poo poo bitter spray everywhere"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dunno if this stacks up as not watching too much but on the boss files, least for the E3 one they're all hidden behind objects and not in the actual arena so you have to go out of your way to grab them. And they stick around after the boss fight so if you have to grab em you can just do it then.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So Miyamoto's considering doing DLC for 3 with new maps and challenges: source

I'm pretty psyched for that!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

MissileWaster posted:

I keep getting confused because the captains are from a different planet, but is the planet in Pikmin 3 still the same one we've been to in 1 and 2? Are there any more familiar locations like there were in 2?

Losing them in battle is horrible, but when you go back to the area a few days later and find some flower Pikmin waiting for you it takes away the sting a little bit :3:

Olimar and Louie are from Hocotate

Alph, Brittany, and Charlie are fromm Koppai

All games take place on PNF-404 (Earth)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I need some help just killed boss #3 and got the winged pikmin

I've crawled all over Twilight River and I have no idea how to get to this signal. I've gotten the fruit from the cave; I've gathered everything my pinks can grab (I think) and I'm at a loss.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just noticed it's the next day and I'm at the final boss

This is so loving stressful. I swear if this thing is the water wraiths mother or something then uh... I'm not sure if I'm impressed or not.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Regy Rusty posted:

Red Nectar works exactly the same way it did in Pikmin 2.

Can anyone tell me what kind of fruit this is? I'm having fun trying to identify the kinds I don't recognize and this is one of the ones I'm having no luck with.

It's a plum! I don't know what the Velvety Dreamdrop is though.

Also people were saying you can't punch. But that's wrong. You can only do it when you're close to a monster (and you'll probably get hosed up in the process) but you totally can. The captains even make lil karate noises.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just beat the final boss. Spoilers obviously.

When I saw it's turkey/humanoid form I instantly thought of the water wraith (and goolix during the chase). So when I saw "Plasma Wraith" I was both happy and loving horrified.

Part of me really wanted Olimar to go "Yeah me and Louie killed it's baby so it kidnapped me or something" but, typical pikmin fashion left that open ended. Super creeped out that it apparently came back to life and watched the three take off with Olimar and Louie.

Which speaking of, is Louie supposed to be evil now or what? He did kinda condemn the three to die when he stole /everything/ and ran.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Regy Rusty posted:

Ohhh man I just did the fourth boss and couldn't get Louie and the fruit back in time so I had to abandon him. Alph's log for this situation is hilarious.

Dare spoiling it for me :v:? I'm super curious now because I got it early in the day.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Stuck on my gathering in Tropical Wilds. There's a hanging fruit and a tree stump near the beach. There's this strange brown box thing but I have no idea what it does, and that tree trunk with the fruit in it is over a cliff so I can't throw captains inside.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Behonkiss posted:

Is it normal to take more than 2 days after first accessing Frozen Tundra to complete the bridge and get Brittany back to the ship? I can't seem to find all the necessary shards for the life of me.

I found them all the same day but it's understandable if you take longer

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Snix posted:

I don't have a Wii U yet, so I'm unable to play this game, but a buddy of mine is and is telling me what the premise of the game is, and it sounds pretty loving crazy. Is he close? At all?

He says that Pikmin 3 takes place in a split timeline where Olimar never escaped Earth in Pikmin 1, and has likely died there. However, it's possible that he's alive and somehow used a force to bring Alph's ship to Earth.

Try not to use too bad of spoilers, since I do intend to play this.

Not even close.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm so awful at the killing missions. I think I've bronze'd the entire board while on the flipside have gold/platinum on collection. :negative:

Did leave to a rather hilarious instance in Thirsty Desert enemy cleanup though. Had about 15 seconds left and found the bulbear behind a sand wall.

Thing is; I had four bombs. Used one to quickly blow up the door then chucked the three others at the bulbear with the remaining time. He did the "OH BOY PIKMIN!!" animation then blew the gently caress up just in time to set my score to what I needed.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just cleared the game with only 10 pikmin dead. They all went by the stupidest possible way you can imagine and I'm tempted to redo the final day because of it.

Final boss spoilers He had 0 health left and flew in the air, all my pinks rushed him like normal and RIGHT AS HE DIED a poo poo ton of ghosts flew up. There was no death cry so I think it may of been a glitch but still.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I am contemplating getting this game to play along with my kids (ages 5 and 8) and I was wondering about the time limit people have mentioned. My concerns are a) having to stop playing right when the kids want to keep going and b) having to play the game often in order to complete it within a certain number of days. How does that work after all?

Each day is about 20 minutes. At the start of the game (when it isn't tutorial) you have 2 days worth of juice left. Each fruit you get usually gives you 1-1 1/2 of juice.

Fruit doesn't grow back, but unless you literally stand still all day you're honestly never in danger of running out. On most first playthroughs I've seen that aren't even 100% runs most dudes end with 46+ in stock. The hard limit is 99 I believe. There's plenty of time :v:

Do limit playtime though if you let them play with the wii-mote + nunchuck. The charge attack it teaches you is crucial but after a few hours of playing it you can really cramp your wrists.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

dijon du jour posted:

Overall the difficulty is a pretty gentle curve, with the exception of the last level, which has a noticeable spike. Without revealing too much, this spike comes a lot from the final level suddenly putting you under a set of rules and constraints that you have never encountered before in the game. Once you take a couple of in-game days to get used to them, though, they aren't too bad (just very stressful).

Anyway, apparently some new DLC has been released recently? I won't be near my Wii-U for a couple weeks but has anyone played it yet? It it worth buying?

I'd say it is. It's enemy battle DLC and it remix's story mode maps and the like. It's pretty fun! The first free map is Tropical Wilds Remix.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Born Approx. posted:

How the gently caress am I supposed to beat that snake thing that swallows the cell phone??? Even with yellow pikmin in its hard to hit him when he starts coming out on a tall mound of dirt and I can never get too many guys on him, especially without letting my crew get smooshed by the rocks :(

When he pops out of a tall mound lock on and shake the wiimote to swarm him, don't even bother throwing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

chaosapiant posted:

I bought this game on a whim having never played the series before, but hearing good things about it and I need something to justify my Wii-U purchase. Anywho, I loving love this poo poo! It's so charming and cute and weird and I need it inside me. Anywho, once I beat this game at some point, would it be worth tracking down the Wii releases of the first 2 games? Or am I not really "adding" anything to the experience by doing so?

I'd suggest tracking down 2 as it's longer and way more diverse then 3 (though a little less polished as a result). 1 has no real variation to it and I don't personally think it's aged well outside of being a good speedrun game.

• Locked thread