Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pikmin 2 is one of my favorite games ever. I have no idea how much time I put into it or why exactly it appealed to me so much but drat it's an awesome game. Unfortunately it took Nintendo so long to finish Pikmin 3 (I waited nine years :argh:) that it's now on a system I don't own, and there are already more games than I have time to play on PC so I'm probably not going to get a Wii U for it.

It's just disappointing after how long they had to release on GCN or Wii. But I guess the game's graphics and engine have benefited from the hardware at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Segmented Crawbster was the one boss from 2 that I don't think I ever tried to fight the normal way. It only appeared once in the whole game, on the last floor of the Cavern of Chaos, and it was just so difficult to maneuver around the falling boulders while still finding time to attack during its vulnerable time that I always just used a bunch of bitter sprays and cheesed it once it fell over the first time.

The Ranging Bloyster is a lot easier to fight without sprays or awkward micromanagement once you realize that the captain you aren't controlling has some limited AI of his own when separated and will move out of the away of attacks.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The best strategy I found was actually to use yellows for the whole fight, and just only attack during titan dweevil's electric move. Going for the water weapon first lets the rest of your squad stay safe since no other weapons can reach them outside the arena. Then you just run away when he gets out the fire or poison weapon, and it's simple from there.

I liked that each of the weapons had its own musical theme that would play when he was using it. And also when he became totally defenseless at the end when his armor fell apart, so you could just call your entire squad in and beat him senseless.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I thought the randomized caves added a lot of replay value to the game and they were one of the main reasons I played Pikmin 2 so many times. I wish more of them had interesting scenery though, like the first sublevel of the Snagret Hole.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pikmin 1's whistle is a lot worse than 2's and it doesn't actually call all the pikmin in its range until the end of the whistle, so if you want to call a group quickly just expand the whistle around them and then let go. In Pikmin 2 they changed it so the whistle calls a pikmin the moment it's in the zone for any length of time which feels a lot more responsive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They're both good games. I started with 2 and went back to 1 (which is probably better for a first impression since 2 really improved the controls/responsiveness a lot) but you can't go wrong either way.

• Locked thread