Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SubNat posted:

There isn't really much of a main menu, like other games, I think the only way to get everything through the Gamepad is by actually playing it on the gamepad.

Nintendo needs to make this configurable, really, let the player decide where the audio should come from, instead of letting each game do it on a game-per-game basis.

Anyhow, is there a certain trick to unleashing all the selected pikmins at once at something?
I think it was supposed to be lock onto target + b, but that just makes my pikmin stop and idle around my guy / unselects them.

Or a way to just autofire them, I'm really abusing my A button in some cases.

I figured this out and it's about making the lock-on actually work. You need to hold down ZL for a second or 2, then you can press B and your squad will swarm whichever creature looked at you funny.

Then it'll eat all of them. So many yellow Pikmin lost...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

TF2 MINING RIG posted:

Hopefully the game sells at least well enough to justify some dlc, the missions are actually pretty great and I'd like more of them.

Unrelated, the bosses seem a lot more dangerous than the ones in Pikmin 1 and 2.

Good news! It was outsold in the UK its first week by the physical release of Minecraft! :suicide:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Got to the 3rd boss, was kind of a pushover. Only lost 1 Pikmin and it was red so who the hell cares. Also I'm getting kinda concerned since I'm now up to only the 4th area but have apparently got nearly 1/3rd of the game's fruit. Worried I might be going a little slow since I'm on day 16.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I've lost 154 Pikmin total over 15 days. I feel no remorse.

I may have tried to take on a giant bulborb with 25 reds. There may have been some casualties.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Anywhere there's one of those boxes you can push down you're usually looking for a route around so you can grab the fruit and push down the box to have an easy route back to the Drake. Have another look around the map and try and find any little sections you haven't explored.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That third boss is a god drat pushover by the way. Take rocks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Accursed Walrus posted:

Oh hey, there's a Pikmin megathread? How about that.

Pikmin is one of those games I've always meant to get, but I waited for Pikmin 3.

Basically what I'm saying is that I'm getting my first Pikmin game on Sunday and I have no clue what to do. Are there any rules of thumb or things like that I should know before I start?

When the 10 second countdown appears, the day is over. Don't ever try and squeeze in one extra kill.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

Leave one behind and you're probably worse than Hitler. :godwin:

Seriously, no game makes me feel as bad as Pikmin does if I ever leave one behind. And there always seems to be at least one every playthrough.

Leaving Pikmin behind and seeing them run desperately for the Onion as it takes off is 1000x worse than losing a few in a fight. However the little angry stomp bulborbs do when you get them all out of the day safely is motivation enough.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Gah, the game pulls a giant dick move after the 4th boss. Which was already a pain in the rear end to fight.

After rescuing Louie he runs off with all your juice, which in my case was 23 bottles. Then blows up a wall in the first area to open up the rest of the stage. So it effectively resets your time to zero, though it does also throw up a few easy fruits and finally gave me blue Pikmin so I can handle it for now.

I think I'm getting better at managing separate squads, at least in situations where I only need one type of Pikmin to do a thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Behonkiss posted:

Though I'm planning on getting the game when it releases in the States on Sunday, I haven't been following it too intensely. I have a big question: Do the caves from Pikmin 2 return, or have an equivalent? Those really brought the game down a bit for me, because they felt more like endurance runs than actual levels.

There are no dungeon-like caves. There are caves which often contain self-contained puzzles and occasionally a boss fight but they're presented as just areas of the wider level. So you can always leave and come back if you're not equipped for them.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I would be pretty interested in seeing people's end game stats because I feel like mine are kind of terrible Linked in case people don't want...fruit spoiled?

I lost a ridiculous amount of Pikmin. I got reckless in the last 8 days or so where I was just gathering all of the fruit and I think that's actually where most of the deaths happened. (Especially the blue pikmin deaths) I also lost like 90 in the final boss fight. 13 hours is probably a lot slower than most people too, because early on in the game I constantly restarted if I didn't do everything I wanted in the day.

I'm at the final boss and I've lost about 300. However I've got nowhere near as much fruit and I'm at day 31. I'll probably run through it again to get all the fruit then once more to do it as quickly as I can.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The fruit is still given wonderfully goofy names though. Like the Firebreathing Feast which is a dragonfruit.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

shmee posted:

Is there a list of the fruit names in English anywhere yet? I'd like to see what they are called and how it matches the Japanese. For example, the peach in Japanese is "コシリソックリ" which means "like a small bum". What is that in the English translation?

It's called (if I have the right fruit here) a Lesser Mock Bottom so I'm happy it at least referenced the classic Japanese depiction being effectively an rear end-fruit.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DuFfY posted:

Head back to where you found the pink onion and break the dam.

This nailed me for at least 3 days. Also I just finished!

Oh the humanity...gently caress the final boss.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jetamo posted:

^^Two things, how did you take a picture of the stats screen? And oh god the pikmin total deaths. It's the number of the beaaaaaaaaaast.

Miiverse, just add the screenshot to your post and use the website to call it up.

And yeah I'd be kidding if I said I wasn't kinda pleased with that death count.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jetamo posted:

I... literally just did that, in the post I asked about it.

I couldn't figure out how you took a picture of the stats screen though. I know for ingame pictures it's just using the camera-thing(Pilot Camera?) but how did you do it for the stats screen?

In any game if you open Miiverse and make a new post, there's a button to the right that lets you add a screenshot of either the TV or Gamepad to the post. So you can use that to take a picture of anything in the game, you don't have to use the camera.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I got a gold medal on the first treasure mission!

I would've got a platinum if I'd had 30 more seconds. :negative:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

George Lazenby posted:

Does anyone know if you keep the yellow data files you collect if you go back in time, or do you have to recollect them? I finished 100% in 35 days and ma keen to go back and improve my time, but would rather not have to go grab every file again.

Going back to an earlier day removes all progress made on future days, you're effectively changing the future so you'll have to grab the logs again.

MissileWaster posted:

I just got Platinum on the first treasure mission and holy gently caress that was intense. I wound up only having 4 seconds left :byodood:

Yeah there is no margin for error whatsoever if you're shooting for platinum. I just about got gold on the second one on my 3rd attempt. drat it felt nice having purple Pikmin back though, you really do kinda need to immediately know what the purples and whites can do right away because the game ain't telling you. The way I figure you need to use them is use the purple's strength to get the early fruit while you send the blues and yellows to knock down fences/dig up fruit and have the whites constantly working on the nuggets to maximise their speed.

Pixeltendo posted:

I've been playing this game for the past two days and its been great, theres also something interesting to note about.

the olimar journal notes, I honestly think Nintendo is implying this is the pikmin 3 DLC, the treasure collecting with Olimar and Louie trying to get the S.S Dolphin back, I also really like how they're pretty much like the pikmin 2 notes complete with thinking about his family

big spoilers obviously.

I think it's meant to be that Pikmin 2+3 are taking place pretty much simultaniously, but that runs the risk of creating a Pikmin timeline and no-one wants to start that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Things never to do: give a little victory handpump with your left hand when that final piece of fruit makes it in a second before the deadline. :negative:

Ahaha I only realised this was a thing when I was doing science to figure out why I kept dismissing my squad whenever I went to lie down.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

mancalamania posted:

I know in the old games (or at least in the GCN version of Pikmin 1 which I replayed a few months ago) if your Pikmin surrounded an enemy / an item to carry they would start attacking / carrying automatically. Is there any way to get them to do that in this game? From what I've played so far it seems like they'll only do something if you throw them, which is fine most of the time but is a little annoying when you have to tap the A-button 20 times in a row to move a 20-Pikmin boulder instead of just swarming it with a big 20+ army. It would at least be nice if holding A fired Pikmin continuously, but it seems like it just charges up a Pikmin throw?

One other question: do Rock Pikmin do anything when thrown at dirt walls? It seems like the Red Pikmin are the only ones doing any work, but it's hard to tell.

If a Pikmin is near to a thing they can do something to, they'll do things to it. Like if your Pikmin are carrying a thing back to base and they pass an idle pikmin, the idle one will run over to help. As for firing all your pikmin at one thing, if you lock onto an item (hold down LZ) and press B you'll send your entire squad at a thing. You can do this with just about everything.

As for Rock Pikmin, they bash themselves against the wall like they do everything else. It can be hard to see because their attack speed is so slow but they're swarming it like the others. Really if you're attacking with rocks you're better off throwing them then calling them back. They do more damage and it's easier to keep them out of harms way.

Also whoever it was wasn't kidding about the 3rd treasure mission being super easy. I platinum'd that on the second run.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah its super handy for fences or the mounds of golden nuggets.

AHH the koppad comes WITH notes?! Yeah either they didn't mention that or everybody's too busy skipping the boring obvious stuff and then doesn't realize.

The game should really demonstrate that ability to you once, its so amazingly useful.

There's a little "NEW" notice on the data files until you read them. All the controls stuff is marked like that when you start.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There are 5 of the logs, they're all on Youtube now naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Chernabog posted:

Does anyone know why my wii mote pointer might be jumping all around? I was playing for a while and it was fine but then it just went all crazy.

If it's a Motion Plus then those are kinda known to freak out occasionally. Set it down for a few seconds and it should calm down a bit.

As for Bingo Battle, as far as I'm concerned Nintendo multiplayer is only ever made for the purposes of making people hate each other.

• Locked thread