Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Man the multiplayer is surprisingly detailed and hella fun. I played the first few campaign missions, but then got distracted playing multi with my roommate. I'll have to play more campaign today.

The co-op and competitive modes are both a blast. Competitive is pretty wild and zany but it actually works pretty well, the bingo card is a fun gameplay mechanic to keep things random, and you can either just race each other to get things or you can try to steal each others' things, which usually resulted in us leaving each other alone until we only had 1 left to make bingo, and then we'd engage in a huge pikmin war for the final fruit until only a few were left standing. Good times. The only downside is that its a little bit confusing sometimes whose pikmin are whose, they get a weird blue/pink flower color which isn't all that different from the red/yellow/blue colors pikmin are already. They should have used like purple and orange, or green and brown or something like that to contrast more.

Co-op lets you play any of the bosses from the campaign together, which is awesome, although it seems you don't just unlock them by beating them in co-op, but have to beat them in single already. You can also work together to compete challenge maps where you scramble to gather all the fruits in an area, ranked bronze, silver and gold based on your performance, with tons of levels to unlock if you get a medal. It was pretty fun and pretty challenging.

I was never the best at multitasking in pikmin 2 using the 2 captains, so having 2 players each controlling 1 captain is a really great way to multitask. You can actually be doing seperate things at the same time, rather than just swapping between them. Although during boss fights it can be hectic and its easy to accidentally keep whistling and stealing your buddy's pikmin out from under him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Detective No. 27 posted:

How are the multiplayer modes?

If you go back 1 page I wrote up a big post about it. :smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

njsykora posted:

If a Pikmin is near to a thing they can do something to, they'll do things to it. Like if your Pikmin are carrying a thing back to base and they pass an idle pikmin, the idle one will run over to help. As for firing all your pikmin at one thing, if you lock onto an item (hold down LZ) and press B you'll send your entire squad at a thing. You can do this with just about everything.

As for Rock Pikmin, they bash themselves against the wall like they do everything else. It can be hard to see because their attack speed is so slow but they're swarming it like the others. Really if you're attacking with rocks you're better off throwing them then calling them back. They do more damage and it's easier to keep them out of harms way.

Also whoever it was wasn't kidding about the 3rd treasure mission being super easy. I platinum'd that on the second run.

This really needs to be emphasized and screamed from the hilltops, as the game doesn't tell you about it afaik. Maybe a note that I haven't gotten mentions it, but unlike the dodge you don't need any upgrades to use it, you have it from the very beginning, but almost nobody notices until they're like halfway through.

Needs to go in the OP, although people may not check it.

Yeah, its funny, I found the second mission to be really, really challenging, and then the third was super easy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Accursed Walrus posted:

Actually, there are notes about locking on and charging. It's just that they aren't given to you as data files (they come with the KopPad), so unless you go to the controls section yourself and look at it, you wouldn't know. (It's Z to lock on and shake nunchuk to charge with Wiimote+Nunchuk)

Also, nthing this as important. This is so useful because of its versatility - you can send your squad at a group of fragments, at a dirt mound, and most importantly, at bosses.

Yeah its super handy for fences or the mounds of golden nuggets.

AHH the koppad comes WITH notes?! Yeah either they didn't mention that or everybody's too busy skipping the boring obvious stuff and then doesn't realize.

The game should really demonstrate that ability to you once, its so amazingly useful.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Looks like there's several videos, GameExplain posted all of them on youtube if you're looking. I'm gonna wait till I get em.

• Locked thread