Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shmee
Jun 24, 2005

mancalamania posted:

I can't believe so many people like Pikmin 2 more than the first. Dreary, never-ending, randomized caves were really boring in comparison to the dense, cleverly plotted, beautiful environments in the original. I also missed the time aspect; I see why the time limit made some people anxious in the original, but the sequel completely freezing time in the caves was probably going way too far in the other direction. You lose a lot of the fun of the intense micromanaging when your not under ANY time restraint (even if it's just the daily sundown countdown every 10 minutes). The second commander was pretty cool though, as was the game's length and the new Pikmin.

I completely agree with you on this, but I forgave Pikmin 2 everything as it had no time limit. Pikmin 1 ended just as I was getting really into it.

So far, despite not really having much of a command of Japanese, I have been enjoying playing Pikmin 3 more than the other two. I have yet to end up in any proper caves (I'm about 14 days in) and only beaten a couple of bosses, as I have mostly been focusing on collecting fruit to give myself plenty of breathing room for exploring.

One thing I am unclear on though, in the OP ThisIsACoolGuy said:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Despite this, it doesn't have the same super strict time limit of Pikmin 1, while at the same time you can't loiter around doing absolutely nothing like in Pikmin 2. At the end of each day your captains will need to consume a single unit of juice, and you can only get juice by finding fruits in the wild. Plants will grow back after a number of days so in theory you could extend it as much as you want but if you fail, it's a good ol fashion game over.

There seems to be a finite amount of fruit to collect, it doesn't grow back you find it buried or inside of bosses, so is it a (theoretically) endless game if you want it to be or do you have a limit (as at some point you will run out of fruit and so have to go home)? Or maybe it'll be one of those things where you get to a point and something convenient happens which means you can now loiter around as long as you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Honestly I'm just parroting what I've read before and seen in other videos (In the original area the very first sunseed berry has a unripe one growing right by it)

If I'm wrong then I'll fix the OP but like I said, just going off what I've heard!

I'm just going by what you see on the GamePad after you complete a level. I'll spoiler it just in case:

The top says "Fruit Report" and the bit next to 17/66 is "Number of Fruit Collected". I don't know if there are 4 sunseed berries in the game, or in the areas I have discovered so this is just guesswork

The instruction manual is very light and doesn't really say anything about it.

Something that the instruction manual does seem to hint at which pleases me greatly is white and purple Pikmin seem like they will make an appearance. They are listed with their abilities, anyway.

EDIT: On a similar subject they do have the berries you collect to make the spicy and bitter sprays (the ones which gives Pikmin abilities) and those do grow back very quickly. Your Pikmin automatically keep returning to collect more so you could just leave a handful of them doing it all day if you wanted.

shmee fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 15, 2013

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

MissileWaster posted:

They appear in Mission Mode and I think the multiplayer stuff.

Aaah, better than nothing. The purple Pikmin remain my favourites. The way they sit if you leave them longer than a fraction of a second entertains me no end.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Fair enough! Seems strange that they'd spoil how many total fruits there are though (like the 3/4 on some of them). If you come to a conclusion though let me know and I'll edit accordingly, you're the one with the game after all :v:

Yeah it does, but I still think once you hit a certain point there will probably be a convenient plot twist that makes things endless, if you want them to be. I'll let you know once I do. At the moment I'm at a loss for what I am meant to do next but will work it out. Everything I need to do seems to require the blue Pikmin but I don't have them yet..

Anyway thoughts on Pikmin 3 so far, spoilered for the very squeamish:

PRO
* It's gorgeous.
* It seems the sense of humour of the original games is intact, but I am basing this off my wife giggling at all the text (especially the names given to the fruits) rather than any personal understanding.
* You can tap the GamePad at the start of the level, and browse the map on it. At the same time the TV will show you an over the top view so you can see where enemies etc are. It only shows you areas you have already been to and discovered though, so you can't use it to find out what to do next (though it has helped me with one puzzle so far).
* The save game system is great, as you can start at the beginning of any day. Get to day 15 and realise you screwed up day 12, well then just start on day 12 again.
* Enemies stay dead for a day or two, so you can focus on killing everything one day, and then spend the next just picking up all the goodies.
* The map on the GamePad shows you where the Pikmin you have lost are!

CON
* Days still seem a little short for me. I often find myself just getting somewhere and HURRY UP appears on the screen.
* Neither the GamePad nor the WiiMote seem to have all the functions needed to play, so I am using both, which is a bit of a juggling exercise.
* It seems like knowing what to do next can be a little based on chance. I have completely missed the next thing to do for a day or two just because I didn't stumble into it. I am not sure if this is really a con though, as I like the exploratory aspect of it. I do find myself starting a day, just running around looking to find what to do next, and then starting the day again which may be the point, but I find it a bit frustrating.
* Pikmin seem to love to just stop following you.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

On the last one I have to ask to clarify it because that's always been there unless you're saying it just randomly happens. From the little footage I saw it seems they track you for longer distances actually before they loose sight of you so just kind of curious!

It's not terrible, but there seems to be a mechanic whereby if the game decides that you are in a position whereby the Pikmin cannot reach you, they give up following you. For example, call some Pikmin on a bridge that you are underneath, they run a little bit and then just go back to not being called. So it seems more noticeable than in previous games but understandable and now I know that happens, I'm watching for it, but I keep finding myself running through doorways, a couple of Pikmin get stuck on the side of it, and then I have to come back and get them.

One thing I do struggle with is that I played all the previous games on GameCube, and on at least Pikmin 2 you could use the second analog stick to move the Pikmin around whilst they were called to you. Make them into a line and so on. So far I don't know a way to do that on WiiU (though there probably is one) so I need to suss that out and bitterly complain on internet forums if it has been removed.

Incidentally, I don't know if this was mentioned before but one fruit does not always equal one day of food. Larger fruits will give you 2 or more days of play. The one downside to all this is that it makes you really crave fruit juice.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I only played Pikmin 1 briefly when it first came out but I think I'll get this. It looks gorgeous. I hope it isn't too hard for me though, I suck at RTS games.

So far I have found it quite easy (EDIT: though if I check the internet, people are going through it about 3x as fast as I am. I'm 24 days in just because I'm enjoying hunting for fruits rather than progressing the story!) and more of a puzzle-y than in the past. You have to search the areas more, and see where things are. There are a bunch of puzzles which require you to have all three people to manipulate Pikmin and platforms. It's really enjoyable.

That said I just got a boss I have zero idea how to beat, though I did only try for about 5 minutes before saying "nuts to this" and going back to collecting oranges.

shmee fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 16, 2013

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does Pikmin 3 let you collect things other then fruits? I thought it was funny collecting the random product placement treasures in 2 and seeing what name Olimar gave them.

There are some things you can collect which give your character additional abilities, if I am understanding what the game is telling me (no guarantee) but they are little floating things in balls rather than any real object. So far there is nothing like the product placement in Pikmin 2, which is a shame, but you do get cell phones inside the bosses. The made up names for stuff in Pikmin 2 was great, and what they guessed they were for. The fruits in Pikmin 3 do get odd names though.

LAY-ZX posted:

I'm really glad to hear this. Louie wasn't good for much of anything in 2 other than micromanaging, it seemed like such a waste.

Yeah I thought the same, it's definitely a welcome addition. In this you both use multiple characters to do several tasks at one, but also there are puzzles you need all three characters to complete.

shmee posted:

One thing I do struggle with is that I played all the previous games on GameCube, and on at least Pikmin 2 you could use the second analog stick to move the Pikmin around whilst they were called to you. Make them into a line and so on. So far I don't know a way to do that on WiiU (though there probably is one) so I need to suss that out and bitterly complain on internet forums if it has been removed.

It seems like this is possible but it might be something I have to learn later on (from the Pikmin 3 Wikia.com page anyway).

Sorry I am not that informative, there's a bit of a language barrier with my playthrough, coupled with being busy doing other things and a general lack of ability at video games (e.g. I saw what I had to do next and then instantly forgot about it for about 7 in-game days until I remembered..)

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Viewtiful Jew posted:

One thing I've seen complaints about is the optional forced hand-holding. Like the hand-holding is apparently as bad as it is in Skyward Sword, but it's also optional at the same time because it's found in these little chips you don't have to pick up and can walk past. But you'll want to pick some of them up because some actually aren't tutorials but lore entires. But even the secret lore ones are differently colored from the tutorial entries so just...don't pick those up I guess?

They are completely optional. There are little yellow chips and if you want to know what (completely irrelevant) information they have (that you already know and have used to get this far in the game) then you have to walk over them. Edit: oh the lore entries. no they are all the same colour. I just don't read them (or try to) as they are in Japanese.

That said, they don't half chat about stuff at the beginning of the game before you start each level. Luckily they shut up pretty quickly (i.e. after a handful of days).

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

^^I'm guessing he's not fluent in Japanese.

That's it! Well that and impatient. The plan is to play through a second time and devote a bit more time to translation at a later date. Time is a luxury I do not have at the moment.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Something definitely happens. Pikmin 2 fans will like it, that's all I'll say.

Something happened.. and yes Pikmin 2 fans will like it but when it happened.. well (bit of a spoiler) I wished I'd spent more time pursuing the story and less time collecting every available fruit.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question for those who have the japanese version, how's the enemy variation in the game anyway? About the same as 2? Less? ...More?

About the same if I remember rightly, but unfortunately I only have Pikmin 1 here and haven't played 2 since about a year after it came out. To be honest, there are very few enemies I have come across which are new, which was the disappointing thing for me. I'm mostly certain that the spiders and odd long haired electrical dog things with freaky mouths are new though. Oh and the loving mosquitos. They each have different ways to dispatch them though and do add a fair bit of variety. You have to use the flying Pikmin strategically, so they aren't just an easy way to collect fruit, which I was originally worried about. You can't always do that anyway as they are dumb and will happily repeatedly flying into a spider's web until they are all dead rather than go around. Oh and there's a fair bit of new aquatic enemies.

Don't wish to overuse spoiler tags but better safe than sorry.

They said that the bosses were tougher in this version but I'm not so sure that's true. It might just be that in previous games I was a bit more worried about losing Pikmin in battle and this time I'm just blitzing enemies with Pikmin and not caring about any ensuing massacre of my stocks. It's quicker that way! I found the latest boss yesterday but it's huge and I haven't actually started battling it yet so no idea if this is a tough one. It looks it..

If anyone wants, I can scan the manual from the game and post it. I don't think it's that exciting but probably better than my "maybe" and "I forget but.." posts.

EDIT:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wondering if stuff like Gatling Groinks or Careening Digrebugs are still in.

Not seen them as yet, but then there are no cave areas in this game (well, nothing like in Pikmin 2) so that could explain it.

shmee fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 21, 2013

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Oooh is that what the numbers mean!

I'm one fruit away from seeing what the last boss is. I put the game down for a week or so due to :argh:life:argh: but back playing it now. I think I will be pretty bummed when the game is over, this is probably my favourite Pikmin. I think I can persuade my wife to lose to me repeatedly on "Bingo Mode" once that happens though.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Pixeltendo posted:

You monster, every life matters! Even if this game makes it almost impossibly hard to do a no death run, I vow never to have one die on my watch.

I think I am approaching 600 Pikmin lost in battle. I have to play this game in downtime here and there so cannot justify replay levels. Also, lazy, remorseless, terrible at video games.

That said I am still on day 48 or something.

Can anyone help with getting the last piece of fruit I need? It's this one:

It's the snow{/spoiler section where you started the game, and returned to find the captain. Here's the location on the map.

I feel like I am missing something really simple but how do I get this? I refuse to go to the last boss until I have this. I don't know when I will get the time to start the game again and I want to do it all.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Doc V posted:

Go to the boss room where you fought the invisible moth-bat-thing and rescued Charlie, then take the back exit.

Awesome, thanks for that, I'd missed it somehow!

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

njsykora posted:

That third boss is a god drat pushover by the way. Take rocks.

I had most difficulty with the first one, and that was just because I was getting to grips with the camera at the time and kept just being a dumbass.

The bosses aren't as tough as I thought, so long as you work out what the strategy for each one is.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

njsykora posted:

The fruit is still given wonderfully goofy names though. Like the Firebreathing Feast which is a dragonfruit.

Is there a list of the fruit names in English anywhere yet? I'd like to see what they are called and how it matches the Japanese. For example, the peach in Japanese is "コシリソックリ" which means "like a small bum". What is that in the English translation?

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

I ran out of time to bring all the pieces of watermelon back at the end of one day, after doing the boss in the sand so had to call the Pikmin off and leave some pieces on the path up to the boss area. When I went back the next day one piece had been dropped in a place where the Pikmin could no longer get around it to carry it. If I had to go back a day I would have had to do the boss again :( but luckily the biggest piece of watermelon was still at the boss area and, in bringing it back, it pushed the stuck piece and I could get it back. So I was lucky. But maybe be careful dropping things in that area.

Those feel like dumb things to spoiler but never mind.

I still need to get around to finishing the game, I am on the last boss bit now but life has become all busy. The saddest story.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

mancalamania posted:

I know in the old games (or at least in the GCN version of Pikmin 1 which I replayed a few months ago) if your Pikmin surrounded an enemy / an item to carry they would start attacking / carrying automatically. Is there any way to get them to do that in this game? From what I've played so far it seems like they'll only do something if you throw them, which is fine most of the time but is a little annoying when you have to tap the A-button 20 times in a row to move a 20-Pikmin boulder instead of just swarming it with a big 20+ army. It would at least be nice if holding A fired Pikmin continuously, but it seems like it just charges up a Pikmin throw?

That might be because they are still called to you. If you call off your Pikmin whilst they are surrounding something they can carry, they should pick it up and take it back to their onion or wherever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Honestly lack of directional march/C stick control is my only problem with this game. I'm not sure why they decided to change the control scheme from the first two games when it worked so well.

I agree with this.

Oh and that when you start the game it doesn't show the Nintendo logo and chirp "Piiiikmiiiin" at you.

• Locked thread