Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rock Wallaby
Dec 21, 2008

Ok thanks!

edit: I knew seconding this thread was a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

SanitysRequiem posted:

Ok thanks!

edit: I knew seconding this thread was a good idea.

Yeah, especially from Halifax. It's always expensive to fly into or out of Halifax.

rumspringa57
May 7, 2007
I need to go to Sydney, Australia for a wedding on Jan 2, 2014. I know I dropped the ball by not buying my ticket yet, but I'm hoping you good folks would have some advice.

I live in Washington DC, so Reagan (DCA), Dulles (IAD), and Baltimore (BWI) are accessible to me. I'm willing to pay a little extra for the convenience of flying out of DCA if possible. I don't have special status on any airlines. Adding another wrinkle, I'd like to fly from DC to Cleveland, Ohio (CLE) for Christmas. My dates are pretty flexible, but something ideal would be:

Dec. 22, DCA -> CLE
Dec. 26, CLE -> SYD
Jan. 8, SYD -> DCA

I know it's going to be expensive, but is there a good way to minimize the damage? Thanks.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

rumspringa57 posted:

I need to go to Sydney, Australia for a wedding on Jan 2, 2014. I know I dropped the ball by not buying my ticket yet, but I'm hoping you good folks would have some advice.

I live in Washington DC, so Reagan (DCA), Dulles (IAD), and Baltimore (BWI) are accessible to me. I'm willing to pay a little extra for the convenience of flying out of DCA if possible. I don't have special status on any airlines. Adding another wrinkle, I'd like to fly from DC to Cleveland, Ohio (CLE) for Christmas. My dates are pretty flexible, but something ideal would be:

Dec. 22, DCA -> CLE
Dec. 26, CLE -> SYD
Jan. 8, SYD -> DCA

I know it's going to be expensive, but is there a good way to minimize the damage? Thanks.

Not really. $2882 is about as good as I see, BWI-CLE//CLE-LAX-SYD//SYD-SFO-DCA on United. These are all W and V fares which are fairly high fare buckets but SYD is not a market where cheap tickets are often had, so I don't know that there's much value in waiting for something lower to come along.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
I'm headed down to Playa Del Carmen Nov. 6th through Nov. 10th best airfare I have seen so far is $497.

Options are:

Nov. 6th LAX -> CUN
Nov. 10th CUN -> LAX

Nov. 6th SAN -> CUN
Nov. 10th CUN -> SAN

Nov. 6th SNA -> CUN
Nov. 10th CUN -> SNA

I don't really care about the times or stops.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Tanreall posted:

I'm headed down to Playa Del Carmen Nov. 6th through Nov. 10th best airfare I have seen so far is $497.

Options are:

Nov. 6th LAX -> CUN
Nov. 10th CUN -> LAX

Nov. 6th SAN -> CUN
Nov. 10th CUN -> SAN

Nov. 6th SNA -> CUN
Nov. 10th CUN -> SNA

I don't really care about the times or stops.

$477 on AA out of LAX requiring you to go to DFW are the best I see right now. poo poo's expensive. :(

philtron
Aug 14, 2008
I'm trying to book my holiday travels and maybe someone could tell me if I can do better or if I should just book as is.

The actual trip I want to do is the following, with a day or two flexibility in the dates and accepting nearby airports:
21 Dec. PAR -> YYZ
30 Dec. YYZ -> LJU
5 Jan. LJU -> PAR

The solution I have so far is:
23 Dec. PAR -> VCE (early morning) Transavia, 60€
23 Dec. VCE -> YYZ (afternoon) Air Canada, 660€
30 Dec. YYZ -> VCE Air Canada
6 Jan. VCE -> PAR EasyJet, 50€

This itinerary is... fine, more or less. What worries me is the possibility of weather issues. Having already been stuck once at CDG for a day and a half due to snowstorms, I'm hesitant to buy flights on separate tickets where a problem on step 1 will result in the complete loss of the bigger ticket. I'd buy a single multidestination ticket but I can't find one for anything much less than 2000€ because the PAR-VCE leg is more expensive with Star Alliance and the VCE-YYZ leg is much more expensive with SkyTeam. Booking direct PAR-YYZ also adds a couple hundred Euros to the price.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

philtron posted:

I'm trying to book my holiday travels and maybe someone could tell me if I can do better or if I should just book as is.

The actual trip I want to do is the following, with a day or two flexibility in the dates and accepting nearby airports:
21 Dec. PAR -> YYZ
30 Dec. YYZ -> LJU
5 Jan. LJU -> PAR

The solution I have so far is:
23 Dec. PAR -> VCE (early morning) Transavia, 60€
23 Dec. VCE -> YYZ (afternoon) Air Canada, 660€
30 Dec. YYZ -> VCE Air Canada
6 Jan. VCE -> PAR EasyJet, 50€

This itinerary is... fine, more or less. What worries me is the possibility of weather issues. Having already been stuck once at CDG for a day and a half due to snowstorms, I'm hesitant to buy flights on separate tickets where a problem on step 1 will result in the complete loss of the bigger ticket. I'd buy a single multidestination ticket but I can't find one for anything much less than 2000€ because the PAR-VCE leg is more expensive with Star Alliance and the VCE-YYZ leg is much more expensive with SkyTeam. Booking direct PAR-YYZ also adds a couple hundred Euros to the price.

I'm somewhat confused as you noted a desire to visit LJU but your solution has nothing but a change in VCE on the way out and a stopover on the return. Where in this trip do you want to hit LJU and/or VCE?

Absent additional details, I see TK flights (plane change in IST both ways) on CDG-YYZ for roughly 684EUR on your dates. You can price separate tickets for LJU and/or VCE to fly upon return from YYZ. Trying to amalgamate fares that way is going to put you into some very expensive fare buckets because the most restrictive fare rules from all of the various components will apply to the entire trip.

philtron
Aug 14, 2008

Mackieman posted:

I'm somewhat confused as you noted a desire to visit LJU but your solution has nothing but a change in VCE on the way out and a stopover on the return. Where in this trip do you want to hit LJU and/or VCE?

Sorry for not being clear the first go:
From my home in PAR, I want to visit YYZ 21-30 Dec. then LJU 30 Dec.-6 Jan., then return to PAR (Approximate dates, being in LJU for 31 Dec.)
VCE only enters into this as being a better-served airport close to LJU.

The first flight to VCE is basically to get the cheaper VCE-YYZ round trip. As you say, on return to PAR I would then fly to LJU/VCE anyway, it's not an issue to do it before, aside from the weather risks.

Mackieman posted:

Absent additional details, I see TK flights (plane change in IST both ways) on CDG-YYZ for roughly 684EUR on your dates. You can price separate tickets for LJU and/or VCE to fly upon return from YYZ. Trying to amalgamate fares that way is going to put you into some very expensive fare buckets because the most restrictive fare rules from all of the various components will apply to the entire trip.

I found some TK flights earlier but disregarded them because of an 18-hour layover. I see now there are some without the layover so that's a help, as well as a couple with LO.

Thanks for the info on the fare buckets -- I couldn't see why it wouldn't just be the two round trips put together into one itinerary, but the fare rules issue makes sense.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
What can you tell me about child fares? Do they even exist on US carriers anymore?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Brennanite posted:

What can you tell me about child fares? Do they even exist on US carriers anymore?

They do, but they're not often a large savings. What age are you looking at?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Significant child discounts are usually just for kids under 2. Domestic might extend the discount to under 3. It also usually expects the kid will be on your lap. As they get closer to 3, you'll want them to have their own seat anyway.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Mackieman posted:

They do, but they're not often a large savings. What age are you looking at?

I've got a two-year-old. I ask because I thought kids over 2 have to have their own seat.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Yeah, upon further research, the very few discounts that exist are for international travel only. There are no discounted fares for domestic US travel for kids. If they're over two, they must have a ticket and their own seat.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Hello thread. I asked this question in a different thread and was summoned here.

me posted:

Has anyone had any experience with round the world tickets or know anyone that's bought one? In July I'm taking a year off and am planning on going around the world. I've looked into the options from OneWorld and StarAlliance and they seem pretty decent. Most are mileage based, meaning you don't necessarily pay for each leg of the trip, but instead pay based on mileage tiers - like 26,000, 29,000, 34,000 and so on. Restrictions are that you need to travel in one direction (i.e. east to west) and only get a certain number of stops.

I'm looking at the 29,000 ticket which costs about $6,700 on StarAlliance, which is great because you can get to places like Fiji, the Cook Islands and a bunch of remote places that usually cost a fortune to buy.

Anyway, it seems like a good deal for that much travel but if anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it.

The route I have in mind is LAX - Cook Islands - Auckland - Denpasar Bali - Bangkok - Delhi - Seychelles - Dar Es Saalam - Dakar (Senegal) - Freetown (Sierra Leon) - Miami

I'll be doing some travelling around each of those stops but those are the flights.

StarAlliance has a great planning tool but it's in flash so I can't link to the itinerary, unfortunately. You can play with it at http://www.staralliance.com/en/fares/round-the-world-fare/

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

This is all based on random dates using the tool. Take it with a grain of salt -- I expect to be corrected at any moment. :) But given your specific itinerary and schedules being loaded in for that time you might be able to solve some or all of these issues. It appears as though you have several issues with that RTW that will make it invalid or more expensive. According to this tool:

1: You will be over the # of connections permissible (16 total)
2: You will be over the # of miles permissible when you take into account actual flight miles due to connections
3: There is limited or no service between Delhi and Seychelles
4: There is limited or no service between Dakar and Freetown ( I think there is an Ethiopian flight that operates this sporadically but I can't get it to load. It may be excluded from RTW or just not in the scheduler yet? May not be an issue)

Potential issues:
** It looks like you will have issues getting from Freetown to Miami, service is offered very rarely so you will have to set your trip around a day or two each week you can book a ticket

** Getting between Dakar and Dar Es Salaam involved 2 connections, a flight into Europe, and almost 8k miles. This type of connection kills miles based tickets/awards.

** There is limited or no service between Seychelles and Dar Es Salaam, it may affect your schedule too dramatically to book this

-----------------------------

Advice:

Always proceed to choose specific flights in the tool. It will let you email the itinerary, save as PDF, and also make sure that your route is valid. As it stands now booking dummy flights I'm at 42000 miles flown without Delhi - Seychelles and Dakar - Freetown. Way over the ticket. And that doesn't count the number of segments, which is also over.

Find out what the issue is with Ethiopian flights possibly not loading into the tool -- if there's a way to get between Dakar and Dar Es Salaam on Ethiopian it'll save you a ton of miles and connections. EDIT: Actually SAA looks to be the best with only 1 stop (JNB) to get to both cities, but likely more miles. Wonder why that one is not loading in...

Not sure how long you are planning on taking this trip or if you're planning on breaking it up into 2 legs with a nested itinerary to get you back to the middle of it, but this is a lot of flying. These tickets can be really good deals as long as you enjoy your time on the trip in the first place! People tend to see a good deal and try to maximize it which ends up actually hurting the potential enjoyment of the whole thing. Coupled with time changes, etc I'd be wary of doing this all in Economy. I'd hate for anyone to spend 7k+ on a ticket only to dread the last few stops because they've already spent 40+ hours in an economy seat within the past 2-3 weeks. But that's just me.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 20, 2013

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I agree with pretty much everything sellouts said. RTW fares can offer a cost effective (at least when compared with direct/round trip options) way to get to some fairly out of the way places in the world, but the restrictions on them mean you can't do more than one or two in a given trip. The only plausible solution is to open-jaw the hell out of it (must be the same zone) and buy nested tickets to make up the difference. This is a higher overall cost to you but there aren't really a lot of other options if you've got your heart set on that particular itinerary. Also, I highly suggest business class for the RTW segments as that is a shitload of coach flying and you will ruin a great trip with dread of another long flight instead of enjoying where you are.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

This was the reality check I was expecting. Thanks a ton of typing that all out.

A bit more info: I'm planning on leaving in July for a 8 month - year long trip. I'm not really worried about the hours on a plane because they'll be spaced far enough apart that it will soften the ouch a little bit. I also travel a ton for work domestically so I'm used to 5-7 hour flights.

I'm absolutely not set on that itinerary either, although I do want to hit most - if not all- of those locations. I'll do some more in-depth work and come back here for more critiques. Can't thank you guys enough.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I really love RTW fares/ticketing, so I looked at this a bit more:

How are you doing an 8mo-1yr trip with your job if I may ask? Are you looking at booking nested round trips back to the US to work for a few months then pick the ticket back up? If that's the case you could look at a Circle Pacific fare. This is routeable around $5k all in.

Route:
Los Angeles CA - Rarotonga -Auckland - Sydney(connection) - Singapore(connection) - Denpasar Bali - Bangkok - Tokyo(connection) - Los Angeles CA
Total trip: 23026 miles

BTW: Bali is one of the worst to get to on these awards. I've had easier times getting to the Maldives from the US. The timing and frequency of the flights just seems to suck if you're coming from the US

Then you'd pick up Africa and India for a true RTW for around 9k. (7k + 1500 or so in taxes and surcharges)

Route: Route:
Miami FL - New York NY - Brussels - Freetown - (NOT INCLUDED) Dakar - Addis Ababa - Dar Es Salaam - Johannesburg - Nairobi - Addis Ababa - Seychelles - Addis Ababa - Bangkok - Delhi - Beijing - Chicago IL - Miami FL
Total trip: 36619 miles

Outside of that option, an African Airpass ticket might make sense. Or look at flight costs within Africa and just spend additional money to hit those cities. But drat is Africa hard to route into an RTW.

That being said, I'm not sure if you'll experience savings with this plan

If you fly a lot domestically, how many miles do you have and with what alliance? StarAlliance I assume? Could you look at covering part of this trip or do some positioning flights with miles?

Edit: also one of the best values about RTW fares are the fairly flexible change rules. If you're not doing that or you don't value that then you might not be getting the most value over just booking tickets directly or separately.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 20, 2013

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

sellouts posted:

I really love RTW fares/ticketing, so I looked at this a bit more:

How are you doing an 8mo-1yr trip with your job if I may ask? Are you looking at booking nested round trips back to the US to work for a few months then pick the ticket back up? If that's the case you could look at a Circle Pacific fare. This is routeable around $5k all in.

I'm actually planning on leaving my job to travel for a year. I've always wanted to do it and now is a pretty good time for me. I'm a software developer so if I need to do some contract work I can do that anywhere with an internet connection.

quote:

Route:
Los Angeles CA - Rarotonga -Auckland - Sydney(connection) - Singapore(connection) - Denpasar Bali - Bangkok - Tokyo(connection) - Los Angeles CA
Total trip: 23026 miles

BTW: Bali is one of the worst to get to on these awards. I've had easier times getting to the Maldives from the US. The timing and frequency of the flights just seems to suck if you're coming from the US

Then you'd pick up Africa and India for a true RTW for around 9k. (7k + 1500 or so in taxes and surcharges)

Route: Route:
Miami FL - New York NY - Brussels - Freetown - (NOT INCLUDED) Dakar - Addis Ababa - Dar Es Salaam - Johannesburg - Nairobi - Addis Ababa - Seychelles - Addis Ababa - Bangkok - Delhi - Beijing - Chicago IL - Miami FL
Total trip: 36619 miles

Outside of that option, an African Airpass ticket might make sense. Or look at flight costs within Africa and just spend additional money to hit those cities. But drat is Africa hard to route into an RTW.

That being said, I'm not sure if you'll experience savings with this plan

If you fly a lot domestically, how many miles do you have and with what alliance? StarAlliance I assume? Could you look at covering part of this trip or do some positioning flights with miles?

Edit: also one of the best values about RTW fares are the fairly flexible change rules. If you're not doing that or you don't value that then you might not be getting the most value over just booking tickets directly or separately.

This is extremely helpful, thanks a ton. I didn't realize it was so hard to get flights into Africa. My plan for Africa was to go to Dar es Salaam for a little bit, do a Kilimanjaro climb and then go to Zanzibar to relax for a bit. Maybe travel up to Kenya and then head over to Dakar, go by land to Freetown, SL and try and get somewhere in South America maybe instead of directly back to the states?

The "must see" places are: Cook Islands, New Zealand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand (that's the purpose of the Bangkok stop), hopefully Nepal, and then Africa. I've been to SA a few times and don't really *need* to go back, but I would like to see Brazil perhaps.

I did like the flexible change rules because I'm not 100% sure how much time I'll stay in one spot. Could be 3 days, could easily be 2 months.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Forget Bali, those other places in Asia are infinitely better, more in your way and cheaper and less full of obnoxious horrible Australians

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Since you're over the limit of single RTW trip, I would suggest looking at OneWorld as well. They have a similar ticket. Their African options stink but they are strong in SE Asia, Middle East, South Pacific, and South America. And they allow an open jaw at the end of the trip, so you could start in London and end in Bangkok and supplement trips on either side to get the excess mileage you need.

You could probably do an African Airpass from JNB so you would start a OneWorld RTW LHR-JNB on a British Airways, African Airpass for within Africa times, then JNB-HKG on Cathay Pacific to resume the OneWorld RTW and hit the rest of your trip there.

And OneWorld does offer a New Zealand - Chile option which is efficient if you do want to try to tack on Brazil.

Edit: Yeah, OneWorld looks to be a hell of a lot cheaper than StarAlliance I think.

teacup posted:

Forget Bali, those other places in Asia are infinitely better, more in your way and cheaper and less full of obnoxious horrible Australians

Let's leave the destination criticism for another thread. This is about finding cheap airfare and the ticket he's booking the cost of airfare to/from DPS is completely irrelevant.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 21, 2013

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

Since you're over the limit of single RTW trip, I would suggest looking at OneWorld as well. They have a similar ticket. Their African options stink but they are strong in SE Asia, Middle East, South Pacific, and South America. And they allow an open jaw at the end of the trip, so you could start in London and end in Bangkok and supplement trips on either side to get the excess mileage you need.

You could probably do an African Airpass from JNB so you would start a OneWorld RTW LHR-JNB on a British Airways, African Airpass for within Africa times, then JNB-HKG on Cathay Pacific to resume the OneWorld RTW and hit the rest of your trip there.

And OneWorld does offer a New Zealand - Chile option which is efficient if you do want to try to tack on Brazil.

Edit: Yeah, OneWorld looks to be a hell of a lot cheaper than StarAlliance I think.

Let's leave the destination criticism for another thread. This is about finding cheap airfare and the ticket he's booking the cost of airfare to/from DPS is completely irrelevant.

OneWorld options to that part of the world are going to get better soon with the full membership addition of Qatar.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
Are there any flights back to ATL (or anywhere near our final destination of Alabama) from MPM (Maputo, Mozambique) around Christmas time that are less than around 2-2.5k? My wife and I are trying to go home for the holidays but it is going to break us if we have to pay 5k to get home for about 10 days or so. We are pretty flexible on our times, and don't necessarily have to be there on Christmas day or anything if that saves some money. We'd prefer to stay on StarAlliance air lines since she is a gold member there and gets all those sweet perks.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Chaitai posted:

Are there any flights back to ATL (or anywhere near our final destination of Alabama) from MPM (Maputo, Mozambique) around Christmas time that are less than around 2-2.5k? My wife and I are trying to go home for the holidays but it is going to break us if we have to pay 5k to get home for about 10 days or so. We are pretty flexible on our times, and don't necessarily have to be there on Christmas day or anything if that saves some money. We'd prefer to stay on StarAlliance air lines since she is a gold member there and gets all those sweet perks.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been traveling a lot.

Can you get to Jo'burg without too much trouble? There are many options around Alabama (ATL, BNA, TYS, etc) that you can use for about $1750 per person or so. Range of dates before and after Christmas available as well. Flying out of MPM is what jacks up prices.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice

Mackieman posted:

Sorry for the late reply, I've been traveling a lot.

Can you get to Jo'burg without too much trouble? There are many options around Alabama (ATL, BNA, TYS, etc) that you can use for about $1750 per person or so. Range of dates before and after Christmas available as well. Flying out of MPM is what jacks up prices.

Yeah, that looks pretty do-able for us. Doing your suggestion, there is a $1670 flight from Jo'burg to Atlanta that is a direct flight, which is certainly very attractive. It is about a 6 hour drive to Jo'burg, but to save 2k total on the trip, that seems very worth it.

Thanks!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Chaitai posted:

Yeah, that looks pretty do-able for us. Doing your suggestion, there is a $1670 flight from Jo'burg to Atlanta that is a direct flight, which is certainly very attractive. It is about a 6 hour drive to Jo'burg, but to save 2k total on the trip, that seems very worth it.

Thanks!

Winner, glad you found something that works.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Is there any way to find cheap international flights anymore? I am really considering flying stand by.

I need to get from Southern California (LAX/SD) to either Geneva, Paris, Marseille or Seville. I am noticing that leaving any day this week and returning a week later is about $1,000-$1,300. I was hoping to sneak in on a last minute flight but it look's like it's just not do-able. My dates and destination are flexible. I'd prefer Geneva but I am open to any of those other European cities.

I was really hoping I could scoop up a round trip flight for $750.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Enigma89 posted:

Is there any way to find cheap international flights anymore? I am really considering flying stand by.

I need to get from Southern California (LAX/SD) to either Geneva, Paris, Marseille or Seville. I am noticing that leaving any day this week and returning a week later is about $1,000-$1,300. I was hoping to sneak in on a last minute flight but it look's like it's just not do-able. My dates and destination are flexible. I'd prefer Geneva but I am open to any of those other European cities.

I was really hoping I could scoop up a round trip flight for $750.

Um, well, if you wanted to go this week, you waited entirely too long to purchase tickets if you were hoping for cheap fares. Generally speaking, fares go up the closer to departure you get. If you want to wait until mid-November you can do LAX-MAD for $941, but if you want to leave in the next couple of days, be prepared to fork over the cash.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Mackieman posted:

Um, well, if you wanted to go this week, you waited entirely too long to purchase tickets if you were hoping for cheap fares. Generally speaking, fares go up the closer to departure you get. If you want to wait until mid-November you can do LAX-MAD for $941, but if you want to leave in the next couple of days, be prepared to fork over the cash.

drat that sucks. I used to always be able to find a last minute ticket for cheap, guess my luck ran out.

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

:staredog: <(I can tell you that it is NOT '42'.)
My friends are going to NYC in December and at first, I didn't want to go, but I want to.

December 13 to 17, 2013

HOU > NYC [Prefer LaGuardia - LGA] - Round trip

I can also fly into EWR (Newark, NJ) but I do want to fly out from NYC LaGuardia on 12/17/2013 though.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

MeaningOfLife posted:

My friends are going to NYC in December and at first, I didn't want to go, but I want to.

December 13 to 17, 2013

HOU > NYC [Prefer LaGuardia - LGA] - Round trip

I can also fly into EWR (Newark, NJ) but I do want to fly out from NYC LaGuardia on 12/17/2013 though.

$261 on WN, HOU-LGA. Plane change in STL on the way out, non-stop on the way back. If you're closer to IAH, you can do UA IAH-LGA for $265. That's surprisingly cheap for that market.

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

:staredog: <(I can tell you that it is NOT '42'.)

Mackieman posted:

$261 on WN, HOU-LGA. Plane change in STL on the way out, non-stop on the way back. If you're closer to IAH, you can do UA IAH-LGA for $265. That's surprisingly cheap for that market.

Thanks, that's one of the reason why my friends are going because United is doing something crazy for IAH-LGA since September. I can go out either HOU or IAH, but given that I have more mileages on my Contine-excuse me United, I think I will book that.

I was going to do Southwest Airline with HOU to EWR for $150 something and then LGA to HOU for another $120, seems UA's deal is still the best.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you have the connections to fly standby and destination is flexible, why wouldn't you just do this?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Any advice/pointers for getting a cheap round-trip ticket from Cincinnati to Seattle and back for a visit sometime in March or April?

I've done a ton of research and will most likely be moving to Seattle with my girlfriend when she gets back from Israel at the end of June, maybe July. Of course, I want to take a few days in the Spring to stay with a friend who lives in Seattle and check it out for myself. I'd probably want to go again with the SO in the summer when she is back.

I'd appreciate the advice! :)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Any advice/pointers for getting a cheap round-trip ticket from Cincinnati to Seattle and back for a visit sometime in March or April?

I've done a ton of research and will most likely be moving to Seattle with my girlfriend when she gets back from Israel at the end of June, maybe July. Of course, I want to take a few days in the Spring to stay with a friend who lives in Seattle and check it out for myself. I'd probably want to go again with the SO in the summer when she is back.

I'm in China at the moment and about to head to breakfast so I will check on this for you later today (tonight in the US).

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Alright, my friend is getting married in January, and apparently if I do not go there will be hell to pay, so I need to figure out a way to get from El Paso Tx to Minnesota (specifically Mankato, but MSP is apparently the closest airport) for less than $400 (which, so far, is the best I can find). I'd like to fly in on Jan 3 and leave on the 5th (ideally not before noon, at LEAST). Help!

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
So, I'd like to find a flight from either JAI (Jaipur India) or BKK (Bangkok) to either Chicago (ORD, etc) or Boston (BOS). The date of the flight would be sometime around January 10th, flexible to within a few days. Bonus points if it is on United or one of the airlines (notably US airways etc) which shares their frequent flier program. I know it's one way, but unfortunately Visa issues don't give me any other choice. Help please!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

TheRamblingSoul posted:

As far as advice, I'd say the first thing is to start watching fares. You know where you want to go, and have a window of when, so start checking once a day and see where fares are. They may not change for a long time, but then again, they might change wildly from one day to the next. Secondly, check nearby cities. DAY, CMH, IND, LEX, and SDF can be alternates if the savings is worth the time for you to get there from CVG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

Alright, my friend is getting married in January, and apparently if I do not go there will be hell to pay, so I need to figure out a way to get from El Paso Tx to Minnesota (specifically Mankato, but MSP is apparently the closest airport) for less than $400 (which, so far, is the best I can find). I'd like to fly in on Jan 3 and leave on the 5th (ideally not before noon, at LEAST). Help!

Sorry boss, poo poo's expensive. I'd continue to watch, and also check prices out of ABQ. I looked at ABQ, ROW, HOB, and MAF and had no dice.