Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Forget Bali, those other places in Asia are infinitely better, more in your way and cheaper and less full of obnoxious horrible Australians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

calandryll posted:

I found a few flights for my upcoming trip and was curious what's the opinion on Aeroflot? Since I'm travelling to Black Sea coast of Bulgaria, it's the cheapest flight I could find.

I think they literally have the worst safety record on the planet

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Mackieman posted:

They're no better or worse than any other eastern European airline. Coach is coach in most cases. Are you flying them TATL or just connecting once you get to Europe?

Uh, got some data to back that up? That's not even remotely true.

Well I'll admit I was wrong in terms of recently, but I think saying it's not remotely true is a stretch considering in their history they have had something like 8000 people die in their history which I believe is literally the highest death toll of any airline. But I'll give the fact they've had nothing go wrong in the last 10-15 years as a plus.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Mackieman posted:

Almost all of the third party sites are relying upon GDS data which is something the airline has the responsibility to update. Most often, when I see issues like this, it involves carriers based in the Middle East. No idea why they tend to have the issue more often than others, but it sure seems that way in my purely anecdotal view.

As such, the only way to overcome it is to search on the airline's website directly.

I work at a travel agency who works on the Galileo GDS system, the reasoning why you will see this happen with Emirates and Qatar in particular (Not always with them and not always not with others either though) is that they are very strict on controlling yield, with specific booking classes being available only if you have certain routing/dates/return dates/flight numbers/having a stopover or not/etc.

So for example if the O class fare with Qatar is $1000 + Taxes, a random GDS search will show MEL - DOH - LHR // FCO - DOH - MEL in O Class all the way showing $1000 + Tax, but then you go to hold it in and you will see that in a live booking, O Class is in fact available MEL - DOH - LHR but not on the return... only once you have actually held in the outbound sectors will you see that maybe only N class is available for the inbound sector, which may be that $300 more.

Singapore Airlines do it as well, at least EK/QR/SQ are the three I see do it regularly being from a Melbourne, Australia based agency.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Meander- I think NZ is like us here in Australia where you are encouraged to book baggage in advance and in fact typically penalised if you just rock up. MOST carriers (All?) In the US are the opposite, and usually will just charge you on check in.

If you booked an Air NZ ticket Auckland to the US/Canada (I assume either LA/San Fran/Vancouver) and then the ticket also has ON THE SAME TICKET flights from there to wherever you are heading (And on the way back Montreal to wherever to Auckland) then even though they are on another carrier the Air NZ ticket will allow you to have the baggage already included. Check who you booked through for clarification.

If you just bought domestic ones outside of that though usually it's like 25USD per bag, so just check the appropriate airlines website for more details.

Most US domestic flights are just the 60 minute mark, but security is so slow there you might want to add more.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I don't have time to look at tickets/mackieman has better advice for one ways vs. returns / changing, however be very careful about your boyfriend travelling to Europe on a one way ticket unless he has a visa or passport that will allow him to. An American passport holder won't be allowed into Europe on a one way ticket.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

peanut posted:

Could you get a cheap burner ticket like Germany-UK as "proof of egress" then hope your residence gets sorted in time?

Many places will also check if you have the correct visa to stay in the next country i.e. If it's home then great but if it's the UK they would say "where is your visa there?"

Geriatric Pirate - That may be correct, but as a counterpoint I work in a travel angency and I see it happen probably once a week on people who ignore it. YMMV?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Just book it you are literally 8 weeks away and travelling during the busiest time of the year

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

pig slut lisa posted:

Turns out just monitoring flight prices daily worked out great for us. We booked roundtrip for $1,400 each directly through Cathay Pacific. Additionally, Cathay lets you stop over in Hong Kong for up to a week at no extra charge, so we are spending two nights in Hong Kong on the return leg.

Unfortunately, we just received news that they've modified our outbound itinerary to something that's kind of inconvenient. Hoping someone in here has some advice on how to proceed.

Originally we had booked the following:
FRI May 22 CX805 [Depart ORD 01:15] [Arrive HKG 05:50 +10]
SAT May 23 CX548 [Depart HKG 08:45] [Arrive HND 13:55]

Flight CX805 is the new ORD->HKG service that Cathay introduced a few months ago. We liked it because it meant we could have a 3 hour layover in the Hong Kong airport and get into Tokyo in the middle of the day. But yesterday we received an email notifying us that we've been rebooked from CX805 onto CX807, which departs ORD THU May 21 at 15:30 and arrives HKG FRI May 22 at 20:20. So now instead of an easy few hour layover in the airport, we have a 12 hour layover that would suck to spend in the terminal (The HKG->HND has not been modified). I think maybe they've eliminated CX805; at the very least the CX805 we were booked on doesn't appear to exist anymore.

Do you think I would have success contacting the airline directly and asking them to put us up in a hotel on Thursday night? What do I need to know in this situation?

Call them and ask, I'm a travel agent and if an Airline gave my client a change like that they would be getting either a Free of Charge change to a better timed flight or free accom.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

sellouts posted:

On your dime if the airline won't accommodate?

I'm not clear on the rebooking reason, did they cancel or change 805's schedule?

The airline will always accommodate due to a schedule change in my experience. Especially one on the level of Cathay Pacific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Currently getting from Australia to America anything without North America is either QF from SYD-SCL or LA from AKL-SCL. AFAIK no one does BUE or EZE anymore, although Air NZ announced this might change soon. Aerolineas Argentina or whoever used to run SYD-BUE but cancelled it early last year.

Getting from Australia to Central America is probably one of the most expensive routes an Australian generally can purchase to anywhere on the planet. It's cheaper to get to North America, SE Asia, Central/northern Asia, Europe, and on par or still more expensive than Africa or South America.