Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rumspringa57
May 7, 2007
I need to go to Sydney, Australia for a wedding on Jan 2, 2014. I know I dropped the ball by not buying my ticket yet, but I'm hoping you good folks would have some advice.

I live in Washington DC, so Reagan (DCA), Dulles (IAD), and Baltimore (BWI) are accessible to me. I'm willing to pay a little extra for the convenience of flying out of DCA if possible. I don't have special status on any airlines. Adding another wrinkle, I'd like to fly from DC to Cleveland, Ohio (CLE) for Christmas. My dates are pretty flexible, but something ideal would be:

Dec. 22, DCA -> CLE
Dec. 26, CLE -> SYD
Jan. 8, SYD -> DCA

I know it's going to be expensive, but is there a good way to minimize the damage? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rumspringa57
May 7, 2007

Mackieman posted:

SAN-BOS-BWI on the way out, IAD-LGB on the way back. $344.20 on JetBlue (B6). If you can get down to SAN cheap enough and don't mind the 20 minute Amtrak ride to get into DC from BWI and the cab or bus to get out to IAD, it's not a bad way to go. You get in early on the 2nd and leave early on the 6th. If you want to leave out of somewhere around LA, it's $415 to depart LGB.

This might be the cheapest way, but if you can catch a flight straight into and out of DCA for a little more I'd do it. Amtrak from BWI to Union Station is $25+ each way, and you still need to shuttle to the BWI Amtrack station. MARC can be a cheap option to get to DC from BWI, but it doesn't run very regularly. Another option is the B30 bus from BWI to Greenbelt Metro station. That's super cheap and pretty convenient, but it can get crowded near holidays. Dealing with additional travel on arrival and departure for both LA and DC will likely kill any cost savings and certainly be an inconvenience.