Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I have a bunch of United miles and am planning to fly to Helsinki from Chicago on 6/19.

Looking at the United website, I can get a bunch of so-so flights with miles the day before or day after, with none of them having the ORD -> Europe leg operated by Lufthansa. However the Europe->HEL segment is generally operated by Lufthansa. The only seats available are economy.

If I say I’ll pay money the selection expands, including flights on 6/19 and flights that are fully Lufthansa and business class seats.

What is the best way for me to use my United miles to get a flight on 6/19, or to buy a ticket with cash and use the points for an upgrade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Beef Of Ages posted:

Based off what you posted, I think you're perhaps not aware of the disconnect between revenue seat availability and award seat availability. As a rule, the airlines want to sell seats for revenue rather than give them away on awards so award seats are always going to be far, far less available than what you see when you search for revenue availability.

With that principle in mind, what you're seeing in the award search reflects the awards that are available right now. It is common for business class seats to not be available on awards, especially for the busy summer travel season to Europe, because the airline would rather sell them for a profit. You can continue to watch the flights and see if award availability opens up (which can happen at any time or never) and also look at alternatives like leaving out of EWR or IAD. Flexibility is often the key to finding award seats that will work for your trip. Only leaving on 6/19 and only out of ORD is going to significantly limit your options, up to the point of not ever finding anything.

Similar to award availability, upgrade space is also controlled. The likelihood of a mileage award clearing the wait list or being available in the first place is fairly remote. This, again, is exacerbated by having one flight one one day to choose from. The comedy option is to pay the exorbitant rates UA will charge for an anytime award to book into business anyway. Wildly fantastic waste of miles in that case.

Thank you! That's good to know. I only started traveling much recently so a lot of this stuff is new to me.

Also I don't think this is fully related to the thread topic but: in general, should I budget any additional time for an international connection vs. a domestic one?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Looking at my options right now it’s looking like the options are going to be ORD to either FRA or MUC and then HEL. Most of the connection times seem reasonable but there’s one with a 1hr 10 min connection in MUC which is what prompted me to ask the question - I’d think that was kind of short even for a domestic flight depending on the airport.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Perfect good to know. I was also able to get business class back from Barcelona to Chicago for just miles which was nice at least!