Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you fly the international leg on ANA or JAL, they'll give you the domestic connection for JPY 10,000 (USD 100). You might have to take the JPY 3000 bus to connect airports.

Check if that price vs flying direct to KIX. ANA flies Chicago - Narita direct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

$800 is a great deal for a trans-Atlantic flight, don't get greedy.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Significant child discounts are usually just for kids under 2. Domestic might extend the discount to under 3. It also usually expects the kid will be on your lap. As they get closer to 3, you'll want them to have their own seat anyway.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Google travel just finds your location and estimates prices for everywhere, only really works for US departures though https://www.google.com/flights/

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sometimes 3rd-party sites will have a better search function than the airline pages. This summer I flew San Francisco - Mexico - Chicago and while the AeroMexico homepage wouldn't allow that search, Expedia got it fine for the same price as a usual roundtrip flight. You'll also find flights connecting different airlines.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Try searching by hubs. NYC to (transatlantic European hub), like Paris, Vienna, Frankfurt, Amsterdam. You might also find crazy good deals through less central hubs like Istanbul, Reykjavik, or Helsinki.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I've been watching that too, transpacific flights are as expensive as ever. Especially June-August. If you find anything $950-1200 jump on it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Grab that asap dude, unless the transfers are crazy

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sup Jossos
What kinda prices you finding? If you find anything under \100,000 with one connection I'd jump on it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sweet dude go 4 it

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Please check Russian transit visa rules well in advance in case you need to do embassy paperwork.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Aeroflot has a lot of codeshares with awesome partners like Korean Air. You'll be fine but besides visas, give yourself lots of transit time because Moscow immigration was very disorganized :sweatdrop: First time I've ever seen an airport without separate lines for citizens and foreigners.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Have you tried a Korean travel agent? Print out the itinerary, say "Can you get me this or better" and see what happens.

I just changed an unchangeable flight (domestic) to one day later. $80 cancellation fee and a small fare increase. The reservation changed from a sold-out flight to an empty flight (row 3 lol) so the airline was happy to "try."

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

LAX is also one of the most terrible airports, avoid when possible.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you can find a cheap fare to Korea, Shanghai, Hong Kong, or Taiwan, then you can get a separate ticket to Japan using LCC carriers like Peach, Vanilla, Spring, Scoot etc.

Also Asia - Hawaii is always expensive. Give up on that if cost is more important than location.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's absolutely perfect.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

150 is still cheaper than international post so suck it up. Can you dismantle the bike and stuff it in a more standard size box or suitcase?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hotels in Khao San are also like 30 bucks a day for a huge double, and the airports aren't far. I'd keep a room, get a last shower in, check out at 2:30am, and get a taxi.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

(*≧∀≦*)

I got free overweight luggage because I booked through ANA and not United. AZN PWR

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Could you get a cheap burner ticket like Germany-UK as "proof of egress" then hope your residence gets sorted in time?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

gently caress LAX.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I might fly San Francisco, CA to San Jose, Costa Rica next year. Any tips on layovers in Phoenix/Dallas/Houston/Mexico/El Salvador? If I have more than 4 daytime hours I'll probably take my 4-year-old out into the city, but where can I leave my bags?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Excellent advice thx thread

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

wth is passenger shaming

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Instagram isn't news, but those assholes earned it. The flight attendants need to be very careful about direct photos, or even phone use while on shift.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Try Peach Air to Osaka.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

So how terrible is Spirit? I'm thinking about a one-way (1 adult 1 child)from ORD to North California in July, and the direct choices are Virgin ($284 SFO) American ($263 SJC) and Spirit ($214 OAK.)
I'm visiting family in the US so nothing can really be worse than a 13 hour transpacific flight with a 4 year old we'll take before that... or can it?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Thanks for the warning. I've forwarded suitcases through UPS before, but I will compare baggage policies.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It is very reasonable to book now for the peak of (North Hemisphere) summer break, hth.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Price out your flights, then get a member's card if there's a particular airline or alliance that's convenient for both your routes.

Playing the miles game with credit cards sounds like a lot of effort. A credit card with points or cash-back would be of more immediate benefit.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

When purchasing online, there's often a little box to check about whether the name on the credit card matches the name on the ticket. It could be wise to give your bank an advanced warning.
Edit: Probably only necessary if you're paying in CAD instead of EUR.

These days, everyone prints their tickets at home. You get a confirmation code and/or bar code to scan at the airport.

You might need her passport number to complete the reservation, but no one needs to see the original passport until she checks in at the airport. She doesn't need a visa.

You know what they say about internet girlfriends from Canada, right?

peanut fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 9, 2015

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm seeing $950 Savannah - Charlotte - Frankfurt - Berlin (Hipmunk, "Mystery Airline.") It's worth $200 to save yourself a long drive to Atlanta and fussing with long-distance train connections on arrival.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

In that case, flying into France and showing a train ticket for Germany might solve one-way ticket suspicions at the airport. "It is the Germans' problem now."

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tbh they probably won't hassle you much as an American :shrug: A cheap burner ticket to Istanbul isn't terrible, but I think financial documents etc for a tourist visa are overkill. Try the letters from future employer and a copy of your gfs information.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ANA has an advanced search for open-jaw and multi-city flights, the prices are always comparable to regular round-trip tickets.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

International travel with little kids - get a red-eye so they can sleep, hope you get an empty seat next to you, and get some Crayola Color Wonder sets (blank paper and a multi-color ball pen is good too, but Color Wonder owns.)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you can actually get a non-terrible flight from the East Coast to Bangkok for $1000 or less, grab that poo poo asap.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Check separate domestic/international flights.
December 26 is also a peak day for international flights leaving Japan for winter break. Try searching a week earlier or later.
Also, fall tourism in December?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Vegas - Melbourne - Bangkok: Check using Singapore or HK as a hub + LCC flights. What is the deal with Denpasar, Maldives and Dubai on that route?

Japan: Peak Japanese travel dates for this year will be 12/23-28 for leaving Japan, and 1/3-7 for returning to Japan. If you can book outside or opposite that peak flow, you should find some normal prices ($900-1200.)

VVV Edit: Duh, it's not for you.

peanut fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

For Japan? That's ridiculous. Check the ANA or JAL websites directly (or even JTB USA.)

Expect something like Virginia-Seattle-Narita. Changing in Shanghai or Seoul is all right too (Seoul is better.)

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 9, 2015