Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

LAX is truly horrible, go through Seoul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Time/effort is money.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Connections on different airlines mean they don't give a poo poo if your first flight is delayed. Different airlines for departure/return shouldn't be a problem.

Fwiw, you usually have to get your checked bags out then re-check for international-domestic connections anyway, even on the same carrier.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

BeepBoopBatman posted:

On the way back we have a 24 hour layover also in Beijing

Ask in the :china: T/T thread. One afternoon isn't enough to see the Great Wall, but you can definitely get your Mao on (you'll need to get a transit visa on-arrival.)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Check ANA (United codeshare.) Their fare calendar lets you compare +/- 3 days and specific flights easily.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Go for it. Just check your terminal transfers at LAX (it's a long, skinny airport) and brace yourself for Japanese summer (it's like South Carolina.)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Waiting overnight is p common with canceled international flights. Iceland just has some weird layovers - make the best of it!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Don't overestimate public transportation in the US. Getting from DC to Baltimore is doable, but NYC to DC will cancel out your airfare savings.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Oh and no weekend MARC trains rofl

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Cuba

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Transoceanic for $1000 or less, jump on that poo poo!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You won't find better than that price, but I do worry about third-party websites and lovely connections.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's a very reasonable price for the busy Christmas season.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Korean is good, Incheon Airport is great. Check if that's actually staffed by Korean or if it's a codeshare with a US airline.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You'll have to book separately.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tashkent is def more interesting than Dushanbe, hth

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Different countries have different peak travel seasons and airport taxes etc. Try alternative dates and/or round about routes.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Try an open-jaw plus a one-way. Not every airline's search supports open jaws (I used Expedia instead, but that has some risks.)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Oh poo poo I was expecting somewhere closer like Mexico
Yeah you're not gonna lump that into a single ticket easily

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

October has some crazy festivals in Ehime, Japan (Dogo mikoshi, Saijo danjiri, Niihama taiko etc.)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Is there a way of knowing when the best time to buy flights is? Flying from Vancouver to Tokyo in December and wondering if prices are going to change much at all between then and now.

I usually fly ANA. They have a good search calendar. Flights for winter will fill up/go up in fall. I'd jump on anything under $1000, but depending on fuel surcharge and availability you might find something as cheap as $750. Sorry for your Canadian dollars.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Book that asap

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Haggling over any flights under $200 is scrub tier so just go for it

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The system should automatically seat you together unless an improbable number of single travelers pay to reserve seats in advance.
If I recall correctly, the ANA website allows seat selection 1 month in advance.

Zurich goon: $1000 for transoceanic isn't "crazy expensive" lol. That's an excellent price, and that Munich fare is too good to believe.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

quote:

Pae told FBI officials that he didn't want to sit while flight attendants served a meal, preferring to do yoga and meditate. He said he had not slept in 11 days.

Lmao wtc

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It looks like they're not an airline, but a logistics company. I think you'd better check ANA directly, or HIS (Japanese discount agent.)

Or look at the Chitose airport site and see what lcc carriers fly there.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

One of the longest Golden Weeks in a decade [RIP]. Abandon all hope for flights to/from Japan around April 29 - May 8.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

TPA like Tampa, right?

I'd jump on that.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

For Singapore, check Scoot, Tiger, and JetStar.

This popped up in my search too, what do you airfare nerds think?

https://en.hellowings.com/
"Find your ideal price first, then choose the date. HelloWings mix and match budget airlines (LCC) to customize your ..."

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Not if it's lcc only. Shorter routes, and possibly only 2-3 flights a week.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You'd have to spend more money on the Russian visa, anyway.

I went to Mexico City in July and the altitude kept the temperature pleasant (it even hailed!)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

8/13-16 is peak travel season in Japan (obon). Expect blackout dates and fully booked hotels the second/third week of August. Otoh, festivals!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The sleazy carpet sellers of Istanbul are an unforgettable part of the experience. I was never groped... they always asked first.
All the Kurds and dudes from -stans are chill and nice though.

Ataturk Airport is hella nice and a huge travel hub between continents ( ;∀;)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Standby? Deadhead?

Standby exists but you have to choose the route in advance (show up early for a flight with multiple departures). I saw Deadhead in "Catch Me If You Can" but it was staff only and probably disappeared after Rules happened on planes.
Yes Man took the next flight to wherever but he paid full price.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I always go through LAX/TB at night and all the Asia flights arrive/depart at the same time in the same block of gates. All the shops are closed and the toilets are far away. Bilingual signage is non-existent.

One good thing: LAX let me re-check my baggage at TB after immigration so I didn't have to drag it all the way to T2.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That is a great price especially with the recent CAD exchange rate. I'm more surprised you can book that far in advance...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You could book a comfortable flight to Tokyo then use an LCC for the 2:30 flight to Taipei.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

HookShot posted:

I don't drink (and I don't eat on planes) and I watch the TV on my ipad which I put next to me. It would suck to watch the built-in TV system for sure.

Flying business without eating or drinking?!?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Definitely transit in HK over mainland China if you have a choice. If you can get a 2-3 day stopover, it's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you fly on ANA or JAL you can expect around ¥10,000 ($100) domestic connection to Fukuoka.