Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Origin: SEA
Destination: AGS or ATL
Duration of trip with dates: Either after 6pm PDT on 8/29 or as early as possible 8/30 to 9/2. Returning some time late that evening PDT would be great.
Flexibility: zip. Sorry :(

All we're running into is $450-$500. Which seems Really high considering we're trying to nail redeyes.

That's exactly what I would expect for that distance. I would prioritize time over money in this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Use incognito/private window to browse flights to prevent prices from mysteriously, algorithmically rising.
Pay more to save your parents a nasty layover .

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Fly into Honolulu. Hopper flights to other islands.
(October is not peak season. Take your time.)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

;____________________;

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The US was allowing arriving flights from India up til yesterday, so I will not be surprised if summer plans get cancelled.
Otoh, my cousin's missionary visa to Italy got approved so Europe is making all the bad decisions x_______x

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I just saved $1000 by booking Amtrak from DC to Chicago instead of flying (only $200-250 total for me and 2 kids.) We leave DC at 4pm and arrive Chicago at 8:45am.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there soem trick to that? Discounts or booking a particular way? I have a trip to NY in May and would like to get around the area without renting car since those are expensive as gently caress suddenly. No specific plan but maybe down to DC and/or to Boston or even Montreal. I kind of dismissed Chicago but could be an option if there's a reasonably fast/cheap way to get there too.

No trick, just online booking. My friend suggested greyhound, and when I looked up greyhound the stops were at Amtrak stations and I was like Oh!
Greyhound and Amtrak are basically the same price, but Amtrak is faster (if it's not horribly delayed....) (and it's still laughably slow compared to express trains in developed countries)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's cheaper, but at what cost????

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I flew on Peach from Osaka to Hong Kong (4.5 hours) and it was trash. The terminal was trailers a 20 minute shuttle ride away from the real terminals, the seats were hollow and made me hunch (I'm 5'4"…) and the engine buzz was relentless. :(

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Beef Of Ages posted:

Not sure what your original fare price was but I see $1122 for MCI-DFW-NRT-BKK//BKK-HND//HND-ORD-MCI on 12/31-1/26. Shaves a couple days off and has the overnight in Tokyo but, assuming they are letting people into the country at that point, Tokyo is not a bad town to kill an evening in. JAL will sell you that ticket with the AA and JAL segments.

Tokyo would be an excellent layover but it's still a big ??? if individual tourists will be let in within the next 6 months.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

if 10 quid is a dealbreaker then you shouldn't be traveling at all

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I've only heard good things about EVA, meaning that it's affordable without being lovely.

$1100 is a great price for transpacific right now.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hong Kong is offering free airfare to boost tourism.
(If you're living in specific regions, offered by 3 different airlines with different rules.)

Basically you book tickets to HK and then payment is $0.

https://wow.hongkongairport.com/tickets

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I saved $1000 taking Amtrak instead of flying
from DC to Chicago.
It was a very American experience for my kids, with crazy people yelling bible numerology at the station, Amish families in the train dining car, friendly passengers in front of us, and gorgeous farmland scenery.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Has anyone taken an assignment as an international courier (on-board carry)? I've signed up with one that posts urgent assignments in a Telegram channel, but I haven't seen anything in my region yet. Most of the flights are starting or ending in Dubai, Texas, or Paris.

https://www.aircharterservice.com/cargo-charter/on-board-courier/become-an-onboard-courier

Another one I found requires a lot of documents in advance, I have no idea how much volume they do.
https://www.airmates.eu/en/become-an-obc

Any recommendations, anecdotes, or horror stories?
I'm doing my first courier job next month, taking a friend's cats across the world now that she's settled in her new town.

peanut fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 11, 2023

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Appreciated!
I have a family and live in a non-hub region so I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to accept a same day flight, but ya never know.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

peanut posted:

I'm doing my first courier job next month, taking a friend's cats across the world now that she's settled in her new town.

Update: the cats have been successfully relocated from Japan to Los Angeles!
The final test, a road trip across the desert, is not my journey to take.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Check Fukuoka airport.

There's also ferries between Fukuoka and Busan (Camelia and JR Beetle).

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Istanbul airport is a massive regional hub with direct flights to every continent.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Domestic→domestic your bags should be checked through if you're on the same carrier.
International→international, the same unless you have a long layover.
Domestic→international should be the same.
International→domestic you need to claim and re-drop.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That layover could be an adventure in a good way.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pets are allowed on international flights*, what if you transfer in Canada?

*Sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It might be wise to enlist a friend to help with things like airport dropoff and kenneling.