Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Saladman posted:

Differences between major European national carriers are pretty trivial and mostly boil down to what the specific plane is used for your flight, unless you care about rewards or lounges or whatever. And even then I think they're mostly on the same alliances. Mainly just ask yourself whether you'd rather have the extra money, or the extra time and reduced hassle from getting a direct rather than a layover in Oslo.

Norwegian is not a national carrier, has no lounges and doesn't belong to any alliance. Food is BoB, luggage costs extra, even on long-haul.

But I'd take it over Aer Lingus because seat comfort is about the same or better.

edit: they apparently have contract lounges for Premium (comparable to Premium Economy btw) passengers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Schwa posted:

This is kind of why I wondered :ohdear:

I've had nothing but positive experiences on Norwegian short haul. I never pay for seat selection but usually manage an exit row seat at the airport and planes are new and on time with free WiFi.

Haven't tried long-haul, but given that I generally don't eat plane food in economy it's probably not a bad option.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeoh posted:

Anyone been to Almaty (ALA) before? Apparently Air Astana doesn't transfer the luggage to flights operated by KLM there, and guess what, that's my friend's situation. There's a 75 minute transfer (landing to take-off), the international terminal seems pretty small, how hosed is it gonna be?

I've flown out a couple of times and was once supposed to have a (protected) connection that I ended up missing and decided not to wait until the next day to fly and took a minibus instead. Airport is small and never really had any problems with the lines there. 75 minutes is always tight though, and a lot of flights end up being from bus gates. It's a bit chaotic, like they might announce boarding for two flights through the same passage at the same time. Forget priority boarding / whatever. Your friend's main problem will be check in for the KLM flight, because in 15 minutes from the Air Astana flight he will have to clear immigration, get his bag, go upstairs and check in for KLM.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

FreshFeesh posted:

I'm looking at flying my wife and I to Germany next month and I'm wondering whether the upgrade from Premium Economy to Business Class would be worth it.

Google flights gives SFO to Frankfurt on the cheapest dates (September 19th and 27th) as $840 economy, $2460 premium, and $4566 business. I've heard from a number of travelers that in no uncertain terms I should avoid base Economy, but I'm wondering what the difference will be for the other two options, and if the price increase is worth the full upgrade to Business.

Premium economy on most major European carriers (e.g. Lufthansa, BA, Air France, Iberia, SAS) will be roughly the same as the seats you have in US domestic first and slightly better food than economy. I personally would not pay $1600 more or a 200% premium for that. Extra legroom seats in economy (such as exit rows) or a few seats next to each other on an empty flight are much better.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Javid posted:

How's Ethiopian Airlines? They've got an amazing $719 round trip direct from LAX to DUB and back which is the best deal I can find in the universe for this trip.

Acceptable to ok, I would pay maybe 10% extra to fly a ME carrier (other than Emirates) instead of them, no premium for US carriers or most Euro majors. A330 > B787 though

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'm funemployed in two days and its time to go on the Great Asian Backpacking Trip I've been wanting to do for years.

Wanting to do a single multicity ticket for this trip, but two RTs may be more practical in the end.

1st Leg: JAX (MCO also an option) to KTM. Any day between Nov 13th and 20th.
2nd Leg: KTM to BKK. Mid to late December
3rd Leg: BKK to JAX. Ridiculously flexible, I'd say late March to April.

Best I could get was $1648 on Google Flights.

Run the search is Matrix and then try alternatives to BKK like SIN, TYO, KUL etc. (you can put them all into one search as well but sometimes it can mess up the search)

Also - it is much cheaper if you do not fly direct to KTM which is poorly served compared to BKK and pushes you to a multi-city itinerary. Do a return to BKK, and then fly from BKK to KTM and back. I just did a random Google Flights search and got about $150 less than your price on my first try, though with some quite terrible flight times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This is less about finding airfare than it is traveling, but it’s a flying question and I don’t feel like it deserves its own thread.

I have a really hard time getting up in the morning, but I have a 6:40 flight because American Airlines is a dick and pushed my flight 1h 50m earlier (you can get a free change if it’s 2 or more). Workdays I tend to turn off my alarm and come right back to bed. I’m afraid I will sleep straight through my alarm. I’m even considering going back to my old night owl ways. Stay up all night, wake my wife up and leave around 3:30, sleep at the terminal, on the plane, on the shuttle, and on the train.

Is anyone else here like me? How do you deal with early flights?

6 or 7 alarms from two or more devices, ideally with one placed away from me so I have to physically shut it off. Combine with further sleep on the plane (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NOT AT THE AIRPORT, only time I came close to missing a plane was when I slept at the airport) and possibly at the destination airport.