Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

philtron
Aug 14, 2008
I'm trying to book my holiday travels and maybe someone could tell me if I can do better or if I should just book as is.

The actual trip I want to do is the following, with a day or two flexibility in the dates and accepting nearby airports:
21 Dec. PAR -> YYZ
30 Dec. YYZ -> LJU
5 Jan. LJU -> PAR

The solution I have so far is:
23 Dec. PAR -> VCE (early morning) Transavia, 60€
23 Dec. VCE -> YYZ (afternoon) Air Canada, 660€
30 Dec. YYZ -> VCE Air Canada
6 Jan. VCE -> PAR EasyJet, 50€

This itinerary is... fine, more or less. What worries me is the possibility of weather issues. Having already been stuck once at CDG for a day and a half due to snowstorms, I'm hesitant to buy flights on separate tickets where a problem on step 1 will result in the complete loss of the bigger ticket. I'd buy a single multidestination ticket but I can't find one for anything much less than 2000€ because the PAR-VCE leg is more expensive with Star Alliance and the VCE-YYZ leg is much more expensive with SkyTeam. Booking direct PAR-YYZ also adds a couple hundred Euros to the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

philtron
Aug 14, 2008

Mackieman posted:

I'm somewhat confused as you noted a desire to visit LJU but your solution has nothing but a change in VCE on the way out and a stopover on the return. Where in this trip do you want to hit LJU and/or VCE?

Sorry for not being clear the first go:
From my home in PAR, I want to visit YYZ 21-30 Dec. then LJU 30 Dec.-6 Jan., then return to PAR (Approximate dates, being in LJU for 31 Dec.)
VCE only enters into this as being a better-served airport close to LJU.

The first flight to VCE is basically to get the cheaper VCE-YYZ round trip. As you say, on return to PAR I would then fly to LJU/VCE anyway, it's not an issue to do it before, aside from the weather risks.

Mackieman posted:

Absent additional details, I see TK flights (plane change in IST both ways) on CDG-YYZ for roughly 684EUR on your dates. You can price separate tickets for LJU and/or VCE to fly upon return from YYZ. Trying to amalgamate fares that way is going to put you into some very expensive fare buckets because the most restrictive fare rules from all of the various components will apply to the entire trip.

I found some TK flights earlier but disregarded them because of an 18-hour layover. I see now there are some without the layover so that's a help, as well as a couple with LO.

Thanks for the info on the fare buckets -- I couldn't see why it wouldn't just be the two round trips put together into one itinerary, but the fare rules issue makes sense.