Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Don't forget MUC, LH has really been pushing it as a (Euasian) hub lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MUC is really convenient transferwise, and I love the sleeping cabins they have if you have a long layover.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Do you have any miles saved up with Qantas or Virgin? Best bet is probably booking a ticket to Brisbane and a separate one to Henderson (with Virgin or Solomon).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

KLM
Lufthansa
The rest

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Reykjavik is good because IcelandAir. NYC to CDG, LHR, AMS and FRA are your best alternatives. Worth looking at flights from Philly and Boston as well.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I found a great fare to BKK from AMS in May (AMS BRU BOM BKK BOM BRU, 390 euro) but am unable to book it. Is there any place where I can just dump the fare construction and they'll book it for me?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ITA Matrix is driving me insane with fares that are no longer available. For example, I'm looking for a flight from AMS/RTM/BRU to PEK/PVG for 10 to 14 days, in August or September. Now they're showing €531 tickets through Emirates (which is pretty decent), but the prices on their website is 300 more (just a more expensive fare). Any websites where I can actually see live fares, or am I going to have to do this manually?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Hmm, but do you specifically want to fly Emirates? Because I just did a general calendar search starting from the 3rd of August and you can get €550-€600 tickets for almost departure date starting on the 19th of August. Emirates isn't that nice anyway if you get stuck in a 10-abreast 777. Cheapest I saw was €546 with Swiss.

Nah I don't really care much about the airline. Slight preference for SkyTeam or Star Alliance 'cause this flight would get me in range of award tickets (have about 10k saved up with both).

Thanks though, I didn't see the Swiss tickets.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Or you could just die.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

No, if you do not board in Dublin, your ticket is cancelled.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You just need to leave Schengen. Eindhoven - London with Ryanair is only 20 euro, so might as well get that.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Here's a tip for airfare: If it seems too good to be true, you should probably book it. Saw tickets for AMS-PEK-HKG for 432 euro, the next day I checked it was at 503. :(

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Here's my holiday plan for the year and I was wondering how I could get it the cheapest way possible.

AMS/BRU/FRA/CDG -> ICN before May 25th
ICN/GMP -> HKG / SZX before June 4th
WUH / CTU / CKG -> AMS/BRU/FRA/CDG before June 22nd

I wouldn't mind having a stopover in ICN to get back to Europe cheaper. None of these flights have to be direct flights. Separate ticketing would be fine.
I have a slight preference for OneWorld since I'd probably be able to get an award ticket for ICN/GMP -> HKG/SZX, and that should save a bit of money.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

PT6A posted:

That's basically it, yeah. It's aimed at the "leisure travel" market, which apparently finds 29-inch seat pitch to be tolerable if they can save $20. I don't have a problem with such a product being available, but I hate that it's now the only option on some routes. I hate beginning and ending my vacations with a hellish airline experience.

29" seat itch? Even loving RyanAir has 30".

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Falukorv posted:

When are international european flights generally cheapest to book, departing during summer?
For regular airlines, excluding low-cost airlines.

Last summer i booked only a month in advance and it got kind of expensive, this year i will try to book earlier.
Booked my tickets for the same destination for the christmas holidays two months in advance which i got for 2/3 of the price compared to the summer booking.

From where? To where?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ITA's data might be outdated. Most websites have it for 3500 crowns, in Economy, with Czech Airlines.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Wouldn't call trains cheaper than planes per se, especially in western Europe, and *especially* in the UK.

Look into buses as well if you want a true budget option. Megabus, Flixbus, Ouibus etc are pretty decent if you're not too tall (190+).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Warsaw is a good hub for cheap flights, but it's kind of out of the way for where you're going.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's probably what people think 'last minute tickets' actually means.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Saeku posted:

This is a vague question, but I'm in Toronto and I want to go somewhere warm (well, at least 15 C or so) for four-five days during the interval of Jan 1st-Jan 8th. Flying anywhere in that time period is expensive as hell -- what's the sort of rock-bottom price range/destination I'm looking at?

I dunno, just stay inside and turn the heating up?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'm looking at going from the Netherlands / Belgium to Beijing. Have to be in Beijing between July 1st / 5th, planning to return before July 22nd. Don't mind layovers if they aren't too long (looking at you, Ukraine Airlines).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Mackieman posted:

You see the same as I do. I looked out of BRU, AMS, DUS, and FRA for poops and giggles. Most reasonable is the non-stop out of BRU on Hainan for $819EUR. Everything else has crazy layovers and, honestly, that's not a bad price for PEK as it is a long way from BRU.

Guess I'll wait for a bit to see what happens to the prices. Wish I'd booked last month (€409 AMS-IEV-PEK-IEV-AMS). Oh well.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Anyone been to Almaty (ALA) before? Apparently Air Astana doesn't transfer the luggage to flights operated by KLM there, and guess what, that's my friend's situation. There's a 75 minute transfer (landing to take-off), the international terminal seems pretty small, how hosed is it gonna be?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We'll see tonight. Spoken to KLM, they say it should be transferred plane to plane. Spoken to Air Astana, they say that it needs to be checked in again, but they could slap a priority sticker on it. At least both flights are checked in now and this is one of the flights which'll use the airport apron.

It's a loving codeshare flight as well. Ticket booked through Air Astana. What a mess. Worst comes to worst they'll just put it on the next flight from Almaty to Amsterdam, I guess (that's two days later).

E: The bags were transferred as usual and KLM gave a free upgrade to Premium Economy.

vanity slug fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 26, 2017

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

PT6A posted:

It hasn't been studied, but I continue to believe that, if there was an airline that guaranteed they'd punch you straight in the loving face the moment you got on board, there'd still be a disturbingly large segment of the population that would fly on them just to save $10 on airfare.

if they did it before take-off and it'd be powerful enough to knock me out i'd pay extra for that service

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

china eastern is not a budget airline

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

American Express is not very widely supported in Europe, since it's pretty expensive for vendors to offer.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We already have the International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis (ICVP, Yellow Card, whatever), I don't think we need to overengineer this solution.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

https://www.going.com

It's more curated than a basic search engine, but you can set your home airport and sign up for email notifications. They usually have a little write-up on why it's a deal.

This is only for the US, btw.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

That's always how 'free' tickets work.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I read some engines are having trouble accessing certain fare codes with AA, try checking their own website and you might get luckier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

BA finally aligned everyone's tier points year. Gonna suck to book tier points runs but nice to be in sync with my partner now.