Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruity Tree
Aug 14, 2010

Mackieman posted:

So she's in TXL and you're in SFO, and she's coming to visit you and then you want to leave together so you can visit TXL and stay there on some sort of permanent basis? I just want to make sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish.

Assuming my understanding is correct, there is nothing prohibiting you from buying a one-way ticket on the same flight that she returns to Germany on. Do be aware that in most cases, one-way international tickets are charged at full fare, so they are significantly more expensive than the same flight as part of a round trip. Depending on the dates and the airline, you'd have to search and compare the fares and see what makes the most sense as there are cases where the round trip price does not equal the price of two one-ways.

Also consider than unless you're an EU citizen, a one-way ticket into the EU without proof of egress may cause them to not let you into the country.

I'm the girlfriend in this.
We're considering getting a round-trip now, which means he would get the same tickets as me (TXL -> SFO in February and SFO -> TXL in April). Since he's in San Francisco he obviously can't board the first flight. Will not boarding the outward flight in February (TXL -> SFO) cause the ticket for the inward flight in April (SFO -> TXL) to expire automatically or something? And would it be better if we just ignore the first flight or can we safely cancel it to get back part of the money and still keep the second ticket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Tree
Aug 14, 2010

HookShot posted:

If you're not able/willing to do what Mackieman suggests, which I also think is the best move, I would book it like this:

Girlfriend: TXL to SFO in Feb, SFO to TXL in April

Boyfriend: SFO to TXL in April (on the same flight as you), TXL to SFO in May/June/Whenever

That way your boyfriend will miss the return flight but it doesn't matter because he'll be in Berlin, and you've both ignored the stuff Mackieman has said about the problems you might face at immigration without a return ticket but this way you will have a return ticket if Pickles isn't a European citizen/resident so he's more likely to be allowed into the country.

Yeah, the problem is just that that's really expensive because the return flight is in the summer months and we wanted to avoid that.
Also, not having a return ticket as a US citizen going to the EU is usually not a problem. Germany rarely asks you any questions, they just scan your passport and let you through. Of course if it was the other way around, it would suck - Americans are much more harsh when it comes to one-way tickets. But Germany isn't. At least not with Americans.

And thanks for the answer OP, I'd like to avoid complicated half-legal stuff because it seems a little scary. Especially because we're not experienced in this stuff. It's good to know that just booking the same roundtrip for him as for me won't work.