Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Mackieman posted:

Aye, I've done it in Shannon and it was great, though the extra security screening where we had to take off our shoes was :rolleyes:. I had Global Entry but one kiosk was down so it actually took longer for my wife and I to use Global Entry than it did for two of our friends to go through the regular immigration process. Still, such a breeze, I wish more places in Europe did it.

Hang on, so if you're flying out of Dublin or Shannon to the US, you can go through US immigration before even taking off? That seems immensely more sensible than the usual system for any number of reasons. Do you know if any airports on Great Britain do that? I'm looking to fly out to Bozeman in a couple of months and between my regular anxiety issues and the added massive stress of a day-long intercontinental coach travel (when you're over 6 feet tall no less) I tend to get worked up going through immigration, which has led to a couple of highly unenjoyable extra scrutiny episodes.

Current plan is flying from Birmingham as it's closest to me and no more expensive than the London airports but I'm fairly flexible and for a less stressful customs and immigration experience I'd go to bloody Kirkwall.

e; On further inspection it doesn't seem other airports near me do that, but this page explicitly says you can fly from Brum to Dublin and then avail yourself of US Preclearance. Now I just have to see if I can connect through Dublin with a price comparable to the ones through Amsterdam or Paris.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

One time I did go through Toronto and I didn't even realize it was preclearance or anything, but it wasn't really any different from the regular US checkpoints. I think the advantages would only become apparent on this side of the pond, but thanks for the input - I'll see what I can rustle up going through Dublin or Shannon.