Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Rafzakael posted:

I hadn't even considered doing the split route thing. This makes it much more manageable, thank you for the quick reply!

You could also drive to Chicago and do this:
Depart at 0655 on 12/8 from ORD->SFO on UA1199, connect to SFO->KIX on UA885, total trip time ~18 hrs
Return at 1820 on 12/31 from KIX->SFO on UA 886, connect to SFO->ORD on UA698, total trip time ~16 hrs

All this for $1,387.

Obviously you'll have to factor in gas money, parking, and drive time, but it strips out a lot of the other flights and preserves your Contract of Carriage.

Here's my skyscanner search: http://www.skyscanner.com/flights/chia/kix/131208/131231/airfares-from-chicago-to-osaka-kansai-international-in-december-2013.html?crty=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FISHMANPET posted:

You could also take Amtrak from Detroit to Chicago and save the hassle of parking your car in Chicago for that long. The Amtrak Wolverine has 3 daily trips between Detroit and Chicago.

This is true, although I would caution that the Wolverine has a habit of getting delayed in northwest Indiana, so make sure you aren't cutting it close with your trip

e: Also, what is a more disappointing way to follow up the wonderful experience of taking Japanese trains: taking Amtrak, or driving on the interstate? Neither comes close to measuring up to the shinkansen. :smith:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm confused by all this. I am planning a vacation and trying to figure out flights. If I leave SFO to go to NRT, there is a stop in MNL. I'd like to check out MNL and want to try to find a way to make the stop over a few days. If I do SFO to MNL, now it is a more expensive fare and stops in Taiwan. Should I just call an agency and try to do this over the phone?

Similar question. I'm looking at Cathay Pacific flights from ORD->HKG->HND/NRT and back and I'd like to have a day in HKG (ideally on the return trip). But I can't make it happen with my normal search tools.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Mackieman posted:

What you guys are describing is a stopover. It's flying AAA-XXX-BBB with a stop of more than 24 hours in XXX. Generally, to find these sorts of fares, you need to do a multi-city search. In Waltzing's case, that would be SFO-MNL for the first segment, and then MNL-NRT for the second. On the way back, you can do the reverse or just search for NRT-SFO, making the search three segments.

The catch here is pricing. Some fares offer a free stopover; others don't. For those that don't, you'll have results returned but they will price as three one-ways, SFO-MNL, MNL-NRT, and NRT-SFO. If that happens, the ticket will be drastically more expensive than if a stopover is allowed (usually). Again, it all depends on the routing rules and what is available for the particular fare in question. If you both care to post the dates you're looking at, I'm happy to take a look. Also let me know if you're interested in learning about how to find the fare rules and interpret them.

Thanks. I've all of a sudden started to see some success with Kayak's multicity tool for this. But I'll pose my situation to the thread and hopefully get some good info.

My fiancee and I are taking our honeymoon to Japan in 2015. Our target dates are Fri 5/22 to Thu 6/4, though we could also do Fri 5/22 to Wed 6/3, Fri 5/22 to Fri 6/5, Sat 5/23 to Thu 6/4, or Sat 5/23 to Fri 6/5. Our most probable departure airport is ORD, though could also do MDW, STL, or IND if they were cheaper and routed us through LAX or SFO or something.

We are not tied to the "one day in Hong Kong" (though we would consider it if it didn't significantly add to our price). We are also not tied to a particular airport in Japan; we can enter/leave through Osaka, Tokyo, one of each, whatever.

Low fare on a non-US airline is our primary goal. I've been doing a lot of searching over the past few months are it looks like there are two main ORD->TYO competitors at the low end: a Virgin America/Singapore combo that goes ORD->LAX->NRT and various Cathay itineraries that go ORD->HKG->HND/NRT. The Virgin/Singapore had been selling at ~$1,300 for awhile, but recently popped up to $1,500 and has stayed there. The Cathay has been steadier.

That's probably enough for now, though I'm happy to give more info. Thanks for any help!

P.S. We're not doing that bullshit Turkish Airlines nonsense or anything else that routes us through Europe.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

pig slut lisa posted:

:words: about flying to Hong Kong and Tokyo

Turns out just monitoring flight prices daily worked out great for us. We booked roundtrip for $1,400 each directly through Cathay Pacific. Additionally, Cathay lets you stop over in Hong Kong for up to a week at no extra charge, so we are spending two nights in Hong Kong on the return leg.

Unfortunately, we just received news that they've modified our outbound itinerary to something that's kind of inconvenient. Hoping someone in here has some advice on how to proceed.

Originally we had booked the following:
FRI May 22 CX805 [Depart ORD 01:15] [Arrive HKG 05:50 +10]
SAT May 23 CX548 [Depart HKG 08:45] [Arrive HND 13:55]

Flight CX805 is the new ORD->HKG service that Cathay introduced a few months ago. We liked it because it meant we could have a 3 hour layover in the Hong Kong airport and get into Tokyo in the middle of the day. But yesterday we received an email notifying us that we've been rebooked from CX805 onto CX807, which departs ORD THU May 21 at 15:30 and arrives HKG FRI May 22 at 20:20. So now instead of an easy few hour layover in the airport, we have a 12 hour layover that would suck to spend in the terminal (The HKG->HND has not been modified). I think maybe they've eliminated CX805; at the very least the CX805 we were booked on doesn't appear to exist anymore.

Do you think I would have success contacting the airline directly and asking them to put us up in a hotel on Thursday night? What do I need to know in this situation?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

teacup posted:

Call them and ask, I'm a travel agent and if an Airline gave my client a change like that they would be getting either a Free of Charge change to a better timed flight or free accom.

teacup posted:

The airline will always accommodate due to a schedule change in my experience. Especially one on the level of Cathay Pacific.

That's good to hear! Sounds like it won't be an uphill battle at least.

sellouts posted:

I'm not clear on the rebooking reason, did they cancel or change 805's schedule?

I think 805 is just canceled. Not sure if it's only this 805, or all the Friday 805s, or every 805, but at least the one I was on is not on the books anymore.

Mackieman posted:

Do your research and see what else is available, not only on CX metal but on partner metal (like JAL) as well. With a schedule change that massive, they'll likely give you whatever you want as long as there are seats on the plane. You can also check NRT as I think CX considers NRT and HND co-terminals, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Wow, I didn't even think about this! There's a JAL direct from Chicago to Narita on Friday that gets in only a couple hours after my original booking was scheduled to arrive. I think this will be my initial target, and if they can't put me on the JAL then I'll stick with what they've rebooked me on and get a hotel.

The number they gave me is closed on Sundays but I'll call tomorrow and report in with my findings. Thanks everyone for your words of advice.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

pig slut lisa posted:

The number they gave me is closed on Sundays but I'll call tomorrow and report in with my findings. Thanks everyone for your words of advice.

Well, that didn't go so well. The representative I spoke with wouldn't entertain the notion of booking on a partner airline. She also initially said they wouldn't book a Hong Kong hotel room, but then partially relented and said she would have to check with the home office in Hong Kong.

What were the two things she was willing and able to do?
1) Rebook us on an AA flight from Chicago to Boston (still Thursday btw, so 8-10 hours before I originally booked and forcing me to miss another day of work), then fly to Hong Kong, then on my original connection to HND. I'm super uninterested in adding a third flight to the mix here and spending like 26 hours on airplanes instead of 22.
2) Cancel our booking and refund us in full. I'm not interested in this either, since we're flying into Tokyo but out of Osaka, and we're laying over in Hong Kong for a couple days on the return leg.

I'm not done trying with them though. I figure I have plenty of time to make a polite pest of myself.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

pig slut lisa posted:

Well, that didn't go so well. The representative I spoke with wouldn't entertain the notion of booking on a partner airline. She also initially said they wouldn't book a Hong Kong hotel room, but then partially relented and said she would have to check with the home office in Hong Kong.

Got a call back from Cathay and they said they'd go ahead and book a room at the airport hotel if I wanted. I'll take it! Just waiting on them to send me a confirmation (I think the Vancouver-based person I've been speaking with needed to get my approval for the Hong Kong office to actually do the booking).

Interestingly, they had the same representative call me back. I really appreciated that. Can't remember any other big company doing that before when I've had multiple phone calls about a particular issue.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BeepBoopBatman posted:

Origin: Northeast Ohio (Cleveland/Akron). Willing to drive to Columbus or NY/PA/NJ for cheaper airfare. Would also accept a relatively inexpensive multi-day connection through SFO or LAX.

If you'd do the east coast, would you also be willing to do Detroit, Chicago, and Toronto? Those are a couple hours closer to you and open your options up way better than Columbus does.

e: also what about Washington DC

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Mackieman posted:

I just moved across the country yesterday so I'm still in flux. I'll try to get to these requests tomorrow.

What was your flight itinerary and how much did you pay? :v:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

peanut posted:

So how terrible is Spirit? I'm thinking about a one-way (1 adult 1 child)from ORD to North California in July, and the direct choices are Virgin ($284 SFO) American ($263 SJC) and Spirit ($214 OAK.)
I'm visiting family in the US so nothing can really be worse than a 13 hour transpacific flight with a 4 year old we'll take before that... or can it?

I've taken Spirit before and it was fine. Personally I like how the seats don't recline. I am fairly tall but even seat dimensions like Spirit's don't bother me so long as I don't end up with the person in front of me in my lap.

I also gambled with carrying a larger bag on than is technically allowed under their free bag policy. It's a travel backpack that's carryon sized. Fortunately I wasn't hassled about it on either flight and it fit under the seat in front of me anyway. Of course that's anecdotal and your mileage my vary.

I think Spirit is a fine choice so long as you know what you're going to get out of them. I'm always baffled by people online who are like "Before I booked I knew the seats didn't recline and that they were going to try to sell me credit cards on the plane, but UGH I hated it and Spirit is the worst!" Why are these people complaining when they knew what was going to happen? :psyduck:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BobTheCow posted:

This is a bit of a nebulous question. I don't fly frequently, so I don't have any airline allegiance, miles accrued, or credit card with points for flying. This year I'm planning on a trip from D.C. to L.A., and a later trip from D.C. to Europe (London or Dublin). I don't expect to make any other flights in the next year.

Does it make sense to look for credit cards with rewards for flights and/or commit to an airline for both trips for the sake of earning miles? Or should I just book the cheapest options I can find when I'm ready and not worry about it since I don't fly often enough for those sorts of options to matter? (Which is what I assume at the moment, just wanted to double check.)

Are you planning on spending $2,000 via credit card in the next three months without altering your spending habits? If so, you should consider signing up for the Southwest Airlines Rapid RewardsŪ Premier Credit Card. The link I posted says you'll get 25,000 RR points for spending $1,000 in 3 months, but if you click on the application link you should be taken to a page that offers you 50,000 RR points for $2,000 of spend in 3 months. A round trip between any of the DC area airports and LA will cost you around 30,000-35,000 RR points, so your domestic trip would be covered with a fair amount of points left to spare.

The card has a $99 annual fee that's not waived for the first year, but given the number of points you'll receive that's still an excellent value.

e: I'm not really into the "manufactured spend" thing that Geriatric Pirate mentions, which is why I say you should apply if you think you're going to incur $2,000 of credit card eligible expenses over 3 months just in your normal course of action

double e: you may want to visit this thread as well http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679537

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 25, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Dominoes posted:

Hey, so I got a Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card a while back, and built up a bunch of points. I've always had cash/Amazon cards before. How do I actually use the points? The Chase site can't find any flights (Stansted to Pisa).

If you're not tied to Stansted you could transfer your points to British Airways Avios and fly from Heathrow or Gatwick

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Never fly Spirit. loving walk with nails in your shoes to your destination before you consider Spirit.

The rest are all the same level of mediocre service, fly the cheapest.

The one roundtrip I flew with Spirit I didn't find them to be particularly terrible about anything. I even got a bag on board for free that was big enough I should've had to pay :ssh:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FaceEater posted:

Digging for an ORD-BKK flight that's ACTUALLY sub $1k. Departure date of December 8, 9, or 10. Return of May 16, 17, or 18.

Hipmunk and Kayak both link me to shadeball sites like Vayama and some other sketchass crap for around $850 with a single stop in Tokyo on both legs of the trip.

Looking at actual legit bookings, the best I can come up with is 2 stops ORD-SEA-ICN-BKK on loving Delta which I hate with a fiery passion for $834 via Priceline. The return flight I don't really care about, but I'd like the flight over to be as painless as possible. 1 stop on a legit carrier. Any pointers?

Edit: JAL has a flight ORD-NRT-BKK for $1206. Guess Sheep-Goats was right about that 1200 barrier :(

Would you leave a day early to save $300?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FaceEater posted:

I ended up going with leaving a day before and got myself on that JAL flight for $1058. I was looking into the Cathay Pacific one a little, and I'd have to pay $200 on top of that to pick my own seat, which is kind of a thing for me since on long flights I like to get up and stretch n poo poo kind of often. I'm pretty content with only going over my budget by $58 for this ticket either way.

Funny thing is, I found out after I bought the JAL tickets that I'm only allowed to pick a seat within 24 hours of departure, and not at the time of purchase. Meh. As long as I get that sweet sweet aisle, I'm golden.

Thanks!

FWIW this is how it works with that fare class in Cathay Pacific, except you get to pick 48 hours beforehand (I think). They don't do a good job explaining that though, I found that out through experience.

Also we didn't have any trouble finding two seats together with one on the aisle, so I'm guessing you'll be fine as well so long as you catch the signup period on the early side.

In any event congrats on finding something that works for you :toot:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

fordan posted:

If you're actually going to be in Toronto vs connecting, look at Porter airlines. They fly out of Billy Bishop airport which is on a small island a short (121m) ferry ride (or walk now; I think they opened the pedestrian tunnel with moving walkways) out of downtown Toronto and they fly to EWR. From EWR the monorail that moves between the terminals and the parking area also hits a train station, and from there you can take NJ Transit to Penn Station in Manhattan.

Take the ferry! It's fun! Everything about flying Porter is fun, actually. I love their little raccoon :3:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

chmods please posted:

Planning a November vacation, not sure if I can do much better than what I've found. No preference for airline, alliance, etc; but I want to try to book through Amex to both redeem points I have and make use of a 2x points offer on the remainder.

Origin: NYC (JFK preferred)
Destination: CUN
Dates: 11/21 through 11/25. I need to be back in the USA on the 26th but can shuffle dates around as long as I get 4 nights.

The absolute cheapest flight is on American, $457 from 11/18 to 11/22. It only goes up from there, seems like the going rate across any airline is $500-$600. Is that the best I can do? Is it worth waiting for a price drop?

$369 on Aeromexico, direct both ways (although it's 5 nights instead of 4 so depends on what that does for you)

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

peanut posted:

That's a very reasonable price for the busy Christmas season.

Yeah, :agreed:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

O'Hare might well be a mess tomorrow, between the weather and the holiday travel. I decided I'd try to get ahead of things by booking standby on an earlier flight.

Here is my original flight:

Here is my standby flight:

Couple questions:
1) My AA app shows that I'm cleared on the CMI-ORD segment (AA3429), but I can't even access the standby list for the ORD-LAS segment (AA2470). When might I find out if I've cleared that second segment?

2) If I don't find out about the second segment before boarding the first one, am I able to take myself off the standby list and return to my original itinerary? I'd hate to have paid $75 for the privilege of waiting around O'Hare for 8 hours.

Thanks!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I didn't get cleared all the way through in Champaign but I took a risk and got cleared at O'Hare :peanut:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I'm trying to book award travel for Thanksgiving 2016. I see two Economy MileSAAver awards available on AA4234 on Wednesday, 11/23:

However, British Airways is not seeing the award seats for that flight:

What gives? I'd much rather book with Avios than with AAdvantage miles. Is this a case of website error on BA's part (in which case I presume I could call in to book), or is BA blocking some AA domestic seats now?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I'm seeing multiple options on your preferred dates for a total of $1,500 for 2 people searching directly on AA.com.

Seeing options for under $1,300 for 2 people searching directly on Alaska on the same dates, although you'd have an overnight in Seattle on the way out to Hawaii.

In both instances you'd be departing Hawaii on Thursday 3/3 and either laying over or redeye-ing to arrive back in DC on a Friday.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Does anyone have any tips on finding non-specific deals?

What I mean is: I live in NYC and will have a 2 week vacation in October as well as 1 week breaks in late March and late November.

I don't really care where I go. I've been looking at nearby stuff like New Orleans/Toronto/California and far away or weird places like Iran/Moscow/Tokyo/Argentina/Latvia. I don't care too much about where I go.

I know sky scanner has a useful tool where you can put 'anywhere' down as a destination. But I was also sent this page about deals to Tokyo and am now wondering (even though I went last year) if I shouldn't do a few days in one of the participating cities before then flying from for example boston or LA to Tokyo.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/02/us-to-tokyo-on-united-from-435-round-trip/?preview_id=188100

Are there any sites/blogs that have eyes open for specific CRAZY DEALS?

http://www.theflightdeal.com/category/flight-deals/nyc/

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Mr. Belpit posted:

Looking for flights from Korea to Sapporo on the 5th of May, I got the following results off ITA:

There's that (relatively) super-cheap flight from a mysterious "Hahn Air Systems". Is there some way to get a ticket at that price?

It's hard to tell from Hahn's site what they're about, given that they describe themselves in vague marketing-speak. I think they only sell tickets to travel agents? One of the few clear statements they make is that their tickets aren't sold to the general public. But elsewhere on their site, they make it sound like they do chartered flights rather than regularly scheduled stuff. In which case, why are they showing up with a ticket price on ITA? I could be misreading their site badly anyway.

Anyone familiar with this at all? Is a regular schlub like me locked out of an opportunity like this?

What's going on in Sapporo that weekend? I checked multiple airlines and they're all sold out on the dates you're looking at.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

THF13 posted:

I have American Express Membership Rewards points which are pretty flexible. I can transfer them 1:1 to ANA and a lot of other partners. I can't transfer them to Korean Air directly but it's possible to transfer them to delta and book a Korean air flight that way.

I would suggest transferring your MR to Aeroplan instead. You can fly ANA and Asiana. You'll only have to spend 75,000 MR instead of the 100,000+ if you go with ANA.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 18, 2016

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

HookShot posted:

Keep in mind Aeroplan charge fuel surcharges on a LOT of flights. A "free" flight can often end up costing $500+

I think that's mainly an issue with European carriers. I just booked 2 ANA first class tickets for $30 each, and I seem to recall that Asiana had similarly low fees. Not sure about EVA or United.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

If you're willing to do MDW instead of ORD, Southwest has several flights a day (including 3-4 directs) that can often be found for > $100. Additionally, if you aren't averse to signing up for a credit card, the Chase Southwest cards with the 50,000 bonus are good for 6-8 one ways on that route.

E: by way of example, I am flying MDW-SEA on Friday 9/30 for 5,685 points, which works out to $90 or so. I originally booked at 7,359 points but rebooked at the lower fare for free thanks to Southwest's generous change policy. This is a direct flight in the middle of the day.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 17, 2016