Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Is there a general rule of thumb for how far in advance to buy tickets for general locations? For example if origin is in the US, are there certain timetables for how long in advance to book flights for domestic/Europe/South America/Oceania, etc. to get optimal prices?

Also assuming not factoring in specific times of year where prices may be especially high or low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Are there any cities in Europe that consistently have cheaper flights into PHL rather than one of the NYC airports?

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Looking for a flight from NYC to AMS ideally on Aug 16th. Recently it's been showing me around $537 from JFK or $568 from EWR on IcelandAir. I'd pay a little extra for EWR for convenience of getting to airport and I see some more around $521 but they have a much longer layover. When I looked about a month ago (before trip was certain) I was seeing these around $460-470ish. Having never done a transatlantic flight before - is it worth waiting to see if it dips back to under $500 or should I jump on one now?

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

sellouts posted:

It's a little early but this seems like a good price.

Are you doing a one way? If so that's a really good price.

Are you looking at a round trip and only flying the first part?

I'm looking at one way for now because I'll be going to a few countries for a couple weeks and not positive where I'll be leaving from. Right now I think I may be leaving from LIS on Aug 29th +/- day probably back to PHL which is showing up as $553 on Kayak. I seem to be seeing better rates doing the NYC-AMS and LIS-PHL as separate one way trips instead of a roundtrip or multi-city. Unless there is something out there I'm not looking up right and don't know about.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Looking to fly from LIS to PHL in late August and I have two options that are pretty much same price. They both have are multi-airline flights with a layover in BOS. One has a layover of 2hrs while the other has a 3hr layover.

My question is if a 2hr layover is enough time when factoring in that I would have to clear customs, etc. and due to the fact that the second flight is on another airline so may cause me trouble if first flight has delays? Or am I better off being safe and doing the 3hr layover? The LIS-BOS flight is on SATA and BOS-PHL is US Air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Looking to book 2 tickets to Ireland in September. Currently looking at PHL->DUB on 9/20 and SNN->PHL return on 9/27.

I'm about to reach AA gold status (oneworld Ruby) and considering it looks like our best option is on AA, trying to make sure I get whatever benefits I can out of it but not sure how exactly they work. Looking through most sites of Google Flights, AA, etc I'm seeing to have regular economy (not basic) it's like $526/person. When I look on Hipmunk it's giving me an offer through JustFly that's Finnair marketed but AA operated for same flights and looks like it's only $453/person for regular economy. Am I missing something here or am I losing out on anything of choosing seats, getting some AA miles/credit, etc. for doing the JustFly one vs from AA directly or wherever Google Flights was directing me?