Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I'm looking to purchase a seat on a one-way flight into Italy, with the origin being Chicago and the desired destination either being Milan or Roma. I need to enter the EU in Italy, as I will have an Italian National visa as opposed to a Schengen one. I have a $1500 credit from AA that I would like to use since it expires in January. I have checked AA.com, Hipmunk and the ITA Matrix sites. When I enter my requirements below, I get a ridiculously high fare from all three sites. Flying AA from ORD to JFK and then on to MXP is ~$2500, while ORD to FCO direct is also ~$2500. I realize that it is now only 5 weeks away from my ideal departure date and I may have to pay a fortune.

My question: Will these fares go down considerably in the near future? Or should I bite the bullet and pay an additional $1000 for either flight?

•Origin: ORD

•Destination: MXP or FCO

•Duration of trip with dates: August 20th.

•Flexibility: +/- 3 days. No connections within the EU, UK, Ireland, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Belated thanks to Blut and Mackieman. I ended up booking a round trip flight with the intention of not boarding the return flight. I also do not need to prove egress from the Schengen area with my Italian National Visa (you are allowed up to 90 days of travel within the Schengen area which I plan to use when I leave Italy).

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I'm going to a wedding in Poland in late June. I'm flying from Chicago and planning on an open jaw trip (ORD->FRA->WAW; VIE->ORD). I first checked the price on Lufthansa's site around Christmas, $1,200 round-trip. The next day when I went to pull the trigger, the price shot up to $1,500. It's been more or less there ever since. Is there any truth to the notion that the cheapest prices are to be had four months before your leave date?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I just got back from 2.5 weeks in Poland, Hungary, and Austria. I had a similar thing happen with a train ticket purchase at Warsaw's central station. I bought my gf and I two tickets for the next day to our destination (small town) and then two more tickets for our next journey from said small town to Krakow. The kiosk accepted payment for both itineraries but only printed out the tickets for the next day's trip before the machine promptly stated it was out of paper and rebooted. Like we got to see the Windows 8 splash screen and all that jazz and then nothing else but a black screen. We waited upstairs in the lengthy queue for ticket purchases with a human, because the PKP customer service office that was referred to on the kiosk was not open 24/7. The windows were fogged up and could tell the office was closed for renovations. I tried to explain our situation in slow, clearly enunciated English and even used a scrap piece of paper but to no avail. $25 down the drain. I had to use spotty free wifi in that small town to order tickets on my phone the next day. Never again. I will purchase all tickets in advance and print off the tickets before leaving.

Ferdinand Bardamu fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 7, 2023

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
That's how I planned my vacation in a few months. One weird trick that Beef of Ages hates.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
On my recent trip, I arrived and left through MUC. The passport check and security queues were non-existent, as opposed to leaving Vienna early this year which was an unorganized shitshow. There was a rail strike, so I had to spend an extra day in Bamberg. Oh, another day of rauchbier. The train from Salzburg to Munich was delayed due to police checking passports once the train entered Germany. There was an electrical issue when another train was between Bamberg and Munich, so we sat at Ingolstadt for 30 minutes before continuing. As far as DB has fallen, still not as bad as Trenitalia!

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Sorry, my Trenitalia experience is from living there and having Regionale or Regionale Veloce trains cancelled or being 20-30 minutes late. Usually, this happened on the weekend, so only my personal life was affected not my work life.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Yeah, Rick Steves and Wolters World (don't laugh) have beaten into my head to pack light, very light. So great to grab my bag under the seat in front of me, the roller bag above me and be on my way out of the airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I was at MUC in November, been there a few times before that. I concur, very nice airport. Avoid FRA, CDG, and AMS if you can.